As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

YOHO a [Puzzle Pirates] Life for Me!

2»

• DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    i'm enjoying the malachite ocean at the moment, it's a pretty high curve right now. Makes getting ultimates challenging again, at least since my beta midnight sub ran out. I'm playing with the SA group as they've kept a pretty high standard for puzzle rankings.

What's your in game name?

Also, I just bought a new outfit and I look pretty sweet.

same as it is everywhere nowadays, Deadlysherpa.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So good game, one of my friends got me banned for botting.

Last time I ask him to rank up in any game for me while I'm gone.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    So good game, one of my friends got me banned for botting.

Last time I ask him to rank up in any game for me while I'm gone.

It's also illegal to give out your account info so that someone else wont skill you up while you're gone.

What was the point of him 'ranking you up'

Rank only describes actual puzzle skill. There's no real benefit to having an ultimate or a legendary ranking or whatever (except in labor puzzles, but I digress) except that people think you're in the best 1% or 5% of the players.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Meant navy rank, mostly for the free clothing and what not

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    Having leg or ultimate gets you on the good boats, the ones that go interesting places and win battles

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Having leg or ultimate gets you on the good boats, the ones that go interesting places and win battles

Boats that would promptly throw you off if it became apparent that the real you doesn't know how to puzzle. =p

Also from the 3-18 patch notes
    Adjust the impact of duty navigation performance on brigand spawn.

Anyone know if they made good duty nav actually spawn more brigands now, or does it just spawn brigands more specifically when it does?

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, I started this back up again, in as Huntington on Midnight. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I did some carpenting for the navy and some sailing on a pirate vessel and I still like those puzzles and I made some poe. I'm rather lazy, but what else is on the list of "shit to do when you're getting started"? I did the tutorials and am now the proud owner of a brown bandanna.

Aldo on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, basically the fastest way to make PoE is to get on a good pillage.
    That or be a good swordfighter/poker player.
    So if PoE is your game, that's what you want. You could also try finding a crew to join. I waited a few weeks before committing to a crew.

Funny story: When I made Senior Officer in my first crew, my captain gave me a ship. I bought some shanghais from her, and renamed it to the Extinct Coelacanth. Pretty much the best boat name ever. One of our other officers was collecting ships with the surname Chub. He had a fleet of about six chubs at one point. We liked to make fun of him.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    please no, not y!pp. I missed Alpha by like a week and spent the rest of my three years reeling in the fact that I could've saved so many dollars because of the Alpha sub deal. Not that the beta sub deal was necessarily bad.

That said, I've pretty much done anything and everything that could be done and stopped playing. I partied with the celebrities and partook in my fair share of the ever-rampant drama. Here I am on the about page: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/screenshots/pirate_scenes/ I'm the one wonderfully dressed with the violet and white Swashbuckler's Jacket and whatever those hats were.

please don't make me play this again.

edit: poking through those screenshots from like four years ago has made me reminisce. Anyone else remember the infamous Robertdonald?

Mustachio Jones on
    edited March 2009
    i don't think the alpha/beta deals were that great

I mean you can play for free on the doubloon servers now anyway. In retrospect it's not a huge deal.

Robertdonald is also on a screen on the hard to find box version. He's like, alive and stuff. He was making hellgate london for a while but that company had issues as pretty much anyone around here knows. dunno what he's up to now.

Zoel on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I play a female pirate named Haylene on the Midnight ocean. I actually own two Sloops and one Grand Frigate there.

EDIT: Holy shit, there's music now?
    EDIT2: I re-subbed. Damn you, P-A thread!

Djiem on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ha, I have a copy of the boxed version. Also still have the deck of playing cards preorder bonus I think it was.

Mayhaps I'll join you guys on one of the doubloon oceans. I'd rather not go back on Midnight for fear of running into ghosts.

I think the latest puzzle I've actually played was shipwrightery.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited March 2009
    robertdonald was the best pirate to ever exist on ypp, even above and beyond the puzzles. His problem is that three rings didn't make a pirate game, they made a puzzle game where moms and kids could yarr and docktart when they sat down at their computer. Coming from a gamer's perspective though, he really made his mark.

Antioch I def. remember you from midnight and it's weird checking out old screenshots and seeing names you recognize.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    There were 550 players online on the Midnight ocean just this evening.

Djiem on
    edited March 2009
    OK, who is Robert Donald?

Also: Midnight seems to be less busy than I remember from ~2 years ago. Still: it's not like I'm just sitting still waiting for something to happen.

Aldo on
    edited March 2009
    The subscription oceans are pretty much dead now because

1. You can play on doub oceans for free with basically no removed functionality if you are even marginally okay at the puzzles
    2. Everyone is on the doub oceans and the doub system basically makes assets between them semi-transferable, so the doub world feels larger to most people, if that makes any sense.

Robertdonald was a member of Looterati who were the serious business British English geek flag. (Yes, I know.) He was pretty big into the notion of "playing to win" and was of the opinion that you pretty much had all options at your disposal that were allowed mechanically, and that you shouldn't get in trouble for doing anything that could be easily changed with code. The only real exception was that he hated politics and felt like you should just "play the damn game" so to speak, which kind of makes you wonder what the hell he was doing in puzzle pirates to begin with but whatever.

Anyway he made a really huge swordfighting FAQ and a lot of people made fun of him because Robert Donald is his actual name and he put a copyright notice on the end of his forum post about it. At some time thereafter Looterati kicked him out because he has literally zero tact. Enough so that someone actually won a familiar for a collection of songs dedicated to him and how much she disliked him.

Unfortunately Robertdonald was pretty much the best player in the game who consistently participated in all familiar events, so he won a number of familiars which he then sold in order to fund attacks on islands. Mostly this was Jorvik (held by Looterati, the flag that booted him) because a) they booted him b) it was the most valuable one on midnight at the time.

He only had like 3 people in his flag though so he popularized the idea of paying random people to join your blockade, but this cost a lot of money so a lot of times if he lost the first round he wouldn't usually participate in the next two.

Anyway after winning Jorvik (after forcing Looterati to defend it for the 9th time or something stupid) and then losing it (because actually winning snapped peoples ennui to defend against him) he did an attack where he didn't show up at all (logged on and just pillaged), and got banned, ostensibly for wasting people's time, but really for a whole host of issues relating to his playstyle and the fact that he really really rubbed some people the wrong way.

The least you need to know is that saying "robertdonald" to old midnight players used to be the equivalent of Godwin's law there, and that you are really in for a GIGANTIC WALL OF TEXT whenever you ask people what they think about him, if they were at all marginally involved with the events.

Zoel on
    edited March 2009
    Zoel wrote: »
    You can play on doub oceans for free with basically no removed functionality if you are even marginally okay at the puzzles

Don't you need to purchase badges? I know you can pay for doubloons with poe, but doesn't it take a huge ammount?

EDIT: Holy shit, doub oceans are more populated. That sucks, I put so much time and effort (and money) into that Midnight character.

Djiem on
    edited March 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    You can play on doub oceans for free with basically no removed functionality if you are even marginally okay at the puzzles

Don't you need to purchase badges? I know you can pay for doubloons with poe, but doesn't it take a huge ammount?

EDIT: Holy shit, doub oceans are more populated. That sucks, I put so much time and effort (and money) into that Midnight character.

yeah. You need to buy the badges with poe.

It's really not that much at all. Compared to midnight you might spend a little less on clothes because of it but essentials are no problem

Also, with the exception of the labor badge (which works while you're offline) the badges do not decay on days where you don't log on.

Zoel on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The least you need to know is that saying "robertdonald" to old midnight players used to be the equivalent of Godwin's law there, and that you are really in for a GIGANTIC WALL OF TEXT whenever you ask people what they think about him, if they were at all marginally involved with the events.

Heh, man... I'm sad now that I missed out on all that. :|

(I'm pretty sure my old character on Midnight still has Fleet Officer for my crew... and it was a well-outfitted crew. We actually had control of one of the big named ship-wrights.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited March 2009
    OK, I rerolled on Sage, because during the weekend I was waiting with a crew on someone who paid a subscription to fill the cannons. It was then that I realised that there was hardly anyone paying monthly for this game. Now I also see how much busier Sage is compared to Midnight.

Aldo on
    edited March 2009
    What's the doub ocean on which all us PAers seem to gravitate? My pirate was on Cobalt, and I put a ton of time into him, but if I could get to play with decent people again, that would rock.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Well, I begrudgingly re-rolled on Sage, even though I have a 2-year old pirate on Midnight. I could reroll if the PA crew chooses another server, though.

EDIT: Wow. Dubbers really suck at this game compared to subbers.

Djiem on
    edited March 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    Well, I begrudgingly re-rolled on Sage, even though I have a 2-year old pirate on Midnight. I could reroll if the PA crew chooses another server, though.

EDIT: Wow. Dubbers really suck at this game compared to subbers.
    I'm on sage, but I'm useless for any crew forming you might want to do, I'm hardly ever online.

And yes, dubbers are even worse than subbers, it's like half the folks have no idea what Puzzle Pirates is.

Aldo on
    edited March 2009
    You'll mostly see me on malachite these days but I can just roll a character to whatever ocean if that's where people wind up.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    I propose Sage since the majority seems to be there already, but I will join whatever ocean the P-A people decide to make a crew on.

Djiem on
    edited April 2009
    yo I'll bribe you with dubloons and poe if you choose malachite, it is a great ocean

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    K, I'm now Tofystedeth on Malachite.

Man, I need to get a cleaver, or at least a Shortsword. SFing with a foil is awful. I'd forgotten how hard you have to work to get anything done.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    k next time i catch ya online i'll see what I can do for ya

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone still playing this? And what server?

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
    edited March 2010
    I very rarely play, but I'm usually on Midnight because, you know, even though it's a subber ocean, I've got a character there with three ships (one of them is the biggest possible ship), and a bunch of furniture, and lots of experience.

I also have a character on Sage, but I've barely started playing with her.

Djiem on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't been back in a long time, but check into Cobalt every now then. (I'm a subber, same boat as Djiem)

I did notice they added a puzzle for weaving a couple weeks ago, I'll at least check that out. Though without a crew of friends to keep me playing YPP has little staying power for me these days

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    oh no another puzzle! Might have to sneak in and try that.
    Fleck, who are you on cobalt and when did you play? Maybe I knew you back in my day.

I'm Tofystedeth on cobalt.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh no another puzzle! Might have to sneak in and try that.
    Fleck, who are you on cobalt and when did you play? Maybe I knew you back in my day.

I'm Tofystedeth on cobalt.

I'm Flecko on there. I've been popping in for usually a month at a time at random intervals since like 2004. Probly wouldn't know me, my flakey-ness kept me from from becoming 'a name'.

Though it's possible, I've held many positions in many crews, tried to start my own a few times but I always peter out. Though I'll definitely pop in this week at some point to check out the new puzzle, when I do I'll be sure to add you. Can't have too many hearties.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember this game. I had a small ship before I gave up cause I hated navigating.
    Might get back into it. Ten doubloons says my name is Mifio.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png