As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Kingdoms of Phallacia - Day 4 (There is no Day 3)

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, crap. After our successes of the first night, we've sort of come back to earth on night 2.

We're currently down a seer, three innocents, and two traitors and I'm not sure who's winning right now.

Crap. We've definitely suffered a loss in momentum, anyway.

GrimmyTOA on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's not really about momentum for us now, we have to stick it out and rely on our numbers to defeat the final rogue. I don't expect we'll get him for a few days but we'll get him in the end.

Unless something better comes up I may continue to vote for Precisionk again.

SUPERSUGA on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    All is fair in love and war. Good luck.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know if it's of much value, but since I posted Day One's, I figure I might as well post Day Two's voting record:

thorgot votes for jdarksun
    (r)precisionk votes for Navoc
    TehSpectre votes for precisionk
    GrimmyTOA votes for precisionk
    SUPERSUGA votes for precisionk
    jdarksun votes for precisionk
    (r)Smasher votes for DarkPrimus
    precisionk votes for DarkPrimus
    Abysmal Lynx votes for jdarksun
    Navoc votes for jdarksun
    cantide votes for jdarksun
    PsychoLarry1 votes for jdarksun
    ArrBeeBee votes for precisionk
    Smasher votes for jdarksun

Navoc on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The narration makes it pretty clear that the last rogue tried to kill the vigilante and was stopped by the guardian. So, in other words, the rogue now knows who the vigilante is.

At this point, it looks like it's going to become a race between the rogue and vigilante to see who can kill the guardian/rogue first. Whoever the vigilante is, I strongly recommend that you publicly reveal yourself now, so we don't accidentally stake you.

Cantide on
    edited February 2007
    And then we stake that person just incase they're the rogue pretending to be the vigilante, right?

SUPERSUGA on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No, because that would be retarded. Guardians can't protect against stakings.

Since (as Cantide noted) my identity is already known by the monsters, I'm going to come out as the vigilante. If I'm pretending to be the vigilante will the real one please kill me, yada yada. I'll have a good bit of information and speculation for you guys later, but I need to figure out what I can say and what I shouldn't. More to come once I sort that out.

Smasher on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    ... Squasha ...

OooOOooOOOoo

'spect the dead, please mon. It's Squashua.

OooOOooOOOoo
    Cantide wrote: »
    ... Sqashua ...

OooOOooOOOoo

There are two u's in Squashua, fast-typer. :winky:

OooOOooOOOoo

Squashua on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua, you better keep your ass out of this thread or your corpse's eye sockets are going to be violated repeatedly by a deranged healer.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua, you better keep your ass out of this thread or your corpse's eye sockets are going to be violated repeatedly by a deranged healer.

That's hot. I went with not-topical comments. Will cease. Good narration last night.

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    Ok, now I see. So Smasher is claiming to be the Vigilante, if he's lying then he's sure to get Vigilante'd himself, so let's leave him be.

Still not seeing much in the way of suspicious behaviour, so I'll go and repeat my !vote for Precisionk..

If something doesn't crop up later tonight or tommorow I fear we may be in for a day of random accusations.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited February 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    If something doesn't crop up later tonight or tommorow I fear we may be in for a day of random accusations.

Those are always fun. O_o

Kidding. There honestly isn't much more to go on. I agree that Smasher's claim of Vigilante-ism will resolve itself without the village's interference -- there'll be an internal housecleaning if he's lying, and if not we've got a useful ally out in the open.

Hrmm. The problem is, of course, that everyone's lying so low to the ground in an effort to avoid suspicion that there's still nothing to go on. I'm afraid that the early purge of traitors (and death of the seer) has left us a bit of a murky situation.

Yesterday I voted for Precisionk mostly because his repeated and remorseless randomness makes him too unpredictable for my tastes. I'm not sure that it's enough for a campaign against him, though.

Meh. I'm not sure. Anyone have anything better to go on?

GrimmyTOA on
    edited February 2007
    I !vote for DarkPrimus.

Smasher was the first to accuse him yesterday, which may be what lead to the attempted whacking. Also, he's claimed many times that he wasn't around for the whole Squasha thing. That ended up being a major FUBAR for the rogues, so it makes sense that the third rogue may have been absent at the time.

Cantide on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    People dying is going to naturally lead to less participation. I'm sure too that the remaining rogues are playing it close to the vest here. What everyone should realize though is that staying alive and keeping the game fun can be two different propositions. phalla is nothing if we don't have posts to misinterpret and respond to with outrageous paranoia!

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited February 2007
    That is why we must kill the non-contributors!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    People dying is going to naturally lead to less participation. I'm sure too that the remaining rogues are playing it close to the vest here. What everyone should realize though is that staying alive and keeping the game fun can be two different propositions. phalla is nothing if we don't have posts to misinterpret and respond to with outrageous paranoia!

I'm trying to work out another crazed conspiracy theory, but I just don't have anything to work with. Also having both my suspects being innocent kinda took the fire out of me.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

ZOMG-A witch, let's burn him!

In truth though, we don't have anything to go on today really...hell, I am mildly annoyed I cannot formulate a list for this round since nothing has been going on. I am gonna go ahead and !vote for Precisionk, since he has been a non-participant from the beginning and isn't even trying.

Since my vote isn't based on any evidence whatsoever, my vote could easily be swayed by anyone with a better reason.

-Edit- Messed up a color tag. Whoops.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2007
    The lack of participation seems to be a unique problem. Nobody is posting much because nobody has much speculation to go on. And nobody has much to speculate on because people are hardly posting. I don't honestly know of a good way to fix such a problem. I suppose someone could make wild accusations and see how the accused responds, but I somehow doubt that would work so well.

Navoc on
    edited February 2007
    I'm surprised that neither thorgot's request for PMs from the specials nor Smasher's stepping forward as the vigilante have caused any kind of interest at all.

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited February 2007
    Well, Thorgot is dead. We may never know what his true motives were. As much as I enjoy Smasher for killing a rogue, and I equally annoyed that he killed Thorgot, as I would have liked to see what the fuss he was making had been all about. Then again, I'm not a special so...I may not have found out till the end anyway.

Meh.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2007
    I'm surprised that neither thorgot's request for PMs from the specials nor Smasher's stepping forward as the vigilante have caused any kind of interest at all.

I think more interest would have been sparked if thorgot hadn't died. He claimed something would happen that would give a reason for the specials to reveal themselves to him, I cannot imagine any such thing, nor did anything happen. This leaves questions, but no way to really do much now that he's not able to answer them.

Smasher revealing himself leaves one question in my mind: How did he and the guardian get in contact? Other than that, whether or not he is lying will, theoretically, be revealed by what happens tonight.

Navoc on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, what with Smasher coming forward, I guess I'd better as well.
    I'm the town whore. 50 gold and I'll show you diseases you've never heard of.

Aroused Bull on
    edited February 2007

Good point. While the Thorgot thing is explicable -- he's dead, so any speculation is a bit moot, I feel like we're missing out on a resource here with Smasher's claim.

Presumably Smasher will be summarily executed if he's falsely claimed to be the Vig. If his claim is valid, however, we have an opportunity to actually help guide the hand of the Vigilante in more useful directions. Isn't that something worth exploring?

I suppose that it would be more worthwhile if we had more suspicious people than we do, but... still.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited February 2007
    Navoc wrote: »
    Smasher revealing himself leaves one question in my mind: How did he and the guardian get in contact? Other than that, whether or not he is lying will, theoretically, be revealed by what happens tonight.
    He might be hoping the guardian will protect him now that he's come out into the open.
    Smasher - I think you should tell us who you're going to kill before you kill them. It's not like the rogues can do anything about it if you're targeting them, but it would give villagers the opportunity to pass on any information they hold, and the guardian would be able to protect himself if you don't know who he is.

Aroused Bull on
    edited February 2007
    I don't consider precisionk's behavior to be indicative of him being a rogue. The only previous game where I know he was a monster was Sicily, and there he acted perfectly normal until he died. He seems to only bring the craziness out when he's just a random villager, probably due to boredom.

Cantide on
    edited February 2007
    Sorry it's taking so long, this is a rather big post. Need to take care of one more thing before I put it up.

Smasher on
    edited February 2007
    From the narration it seems pretty clear that Smasher and the guardian are in contact. Smasher was protected from an attack last night, unless I'm seriously misreading Visiblehowl's post.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited February 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    He might be hoping the guardian will protect him now that he's come out into the open.
    Smasher - I think you should tell us who you're going to kill before you kill them. It's not like the rogues can do anything about it if you're targeting them, but it would give villagers the opportunity to pass on any information they hold, and the guardian would be able to protect himself if you don't know who he is.

Well, presumably the rogue/s attempted to assassinate Smasher, the vigilante, but were prevented from doing so by the guardian's protection. The only reason I can fathom the guardian would protect someone other than themselves would be if they had gotten in contact with them, no?

Navoc on
    edited February 2007
    You're right. I still think it would be advantageous for Smasher to reveal his targets before he kills them.

Aroused Bull on
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    Sorry it's taking so long, this is a rather big post. Need to take care of one more thing before I put it up.

Ooh, you are gettin' me all excited for a big reveal!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2007
    This is going to be a big post. I'd tl;dr it, but I want people to look and see if there are any flaws with my reasoning. Before I get to that part, here's what's happened with me so far so you have some context.

The first day, I decide to make a play to hook up the guardian and the seer. I plan to kill someone to prove my abilities, announcing my target in the thread after the voting deadline is done. I don't have to worry about killing the guardian since he'll almost certainly be protecting himself, so all I have to worry about is accidently hitting the seer. I choose someone who's neither lurking in the shadows nor potentially hiding in plain sight, and end up picking Acidserra. My plans are shaken when he ends up actually being a likely vig target, but then psycholarry posts the pm he allegedly got from a special and I decide to take a chance. After voting closes I pm him and tell him my target, and he hooks me up with thorgot (who claims to be the seer) and the guardian.

Then the narration comes, and Eaglelaser dies in a very seer-ish way (more on that later). The guardian and I both become wary of thorgot due to this, and agree to swap PMs. We send them within 30 seconds or so of each other, and except for certain relevant details (which were extensive enough as to be almost impossible to change within the time frame given) our PMs are identical. This gives me a great deal of confidence in the guardian and vice versa, so we jointly consider what to do about thorgot.

This part gets pretty long so I'm gonna condense things. We end up deciding he is most likely the monster. Reasons include a) he initially claimed to psycho when he first PMed him that he (thorgot) was the vigilante, not the seer, b) Eaglelaser seemed very likely to be the seer, c) he related conflicting plans that would end up with one or both of us dead, and d) this PM exchange:
    thorgot wrote:
    Smasher wrote:
    thorgot wrote:
    Did Squasha send you that PM? And if so, which 3 people did he send it to at the same time?

I posted it to the thread.
    Thanks. It was mostly the speed which was important, before the rogues got the news and faked a PM.

There might have been other reasons, but honestly I'm losing track of them all. So, the guardian and I agree that I should kill thorgot, and he protects me in case any funny business comes up. Sure enough, I got attacked last night. This morning we both scratch our heads as thorgot appears to be innocent.

Observations:

1) Eaglelaser was the seer. This I'm almost positive of, as the mystic having visions (ie, seering) fits in perfectly with the theme of assassins and bodyguards doing the work for me and the guardian respectively. In addition, note that the rogues have assassins as well, again fitting the theme.

2) On a similar note, Thorgot was not the seer. It's very unlikely there were two seers in such a small game, and his death makes no hint that I can find of a special role.

3) There are several indications that there are more than one groups of rogues. Eaglelaser's mystic tells him:
    “It is strange, milord. I’m having trouble with the vision. Normally I see red hostility or the bright light of benevolence, but this man has neither. All I can see is the tainted yellow of greed and avarice; far from virtues, to be sure, but hardly dangerous.”
    ... which denotes a split between hostility and avarice. By itself, not very striking.

On Eaglelaser's chest the following message was engraved:
    My Dear Colleagues,

Consider this a warning. You cannot hope to stop us. Pay no attention to pretenders to power, for we will be the true masters
    The pretenders to power could be considered to be us, but why would a message tell us to pay no attention to ourselves? An odd warning. Plus, are we pretenders to power if we already are in power? It seems to me this is referring to another group aspiring to take direct control.

When I killed acidSerra, the following exchange took place:
    “You know, for someone who is secretly plotting to take power from the Council, you seem to be rather deficient when it comes to hiding your emotions. The utter hatred you felt for Squashua was almost palpable.”

AcidSerra took a moment to compose himself, then turned towards his accuser.

“You are mistaken, my friend. My hatred was only for an evil man who threatened our very society. Do you not feel the same hatred?”

“No. While I certainly detest traitors, the depths of your loathing could only be found in someone with an evil heart. You may fool others, but you do not fool me.
    While they were arguing in the thread, and the above might just be the narrative reflection of that, it's also possible that they were on different sides after all.

Finally, we have this note attached to the arrow:
    Councillors,

Cease your foolish attempts to discover the conspirators. You will all die in the end.

We will brook no opposition…or competition.
    Again, a reference to a seperate group.

Add all these things up, and I have to conclude that it's virtually certain there is more than one evil side. Since having three teams of two rogues would give the rogues a huge numbers advantage, I'd wager that this means there are two teams of two, with kills on alternating nights.

All well and good, but there's one loose end we still haven't tied up: thorgot. He pretends to be the seer when he's not, which makes no sense at all if he's on our side. So, it seems he has to be a rogue, and yet when I kill him he comes up as innocent. There are only two rational explanations I can come up with that don't involve him being retarded for no reason:

Thorgot was the seer after all.

or

Thorgot was an invisible rogue.

As per what I've explained above, I just can't find a train of thought that leads to the former conclusion that I'm satisfied with. That forces me to the latter. Suddenly his behavior makes perfect sense, and explains why I got attacked last night. Kill me last night, tell the guardian the rogues must have gotten lucky, then kill the guardian tonight while he protects thorgot. It also explains why he initially claimed to be the vigilante: it would make more sense for a vigilante to take a chance like that (remember he contacted psycho before the first night, so he couldn't have had a vision beforehand) than a seer, plus if a seer contacted the group thorgot would presumably seer as innocent.

In the interest of completeness, there are two objections I can see to this conclusion:

1) A second group of invisible rogues would be unbalanced. This is a fair objection, but with two competing groups of two they'd be fairly likely to hit each other at least once over the course of the game, so it might not be problematic as it seems.

2) The narration didn't have any hint of thorgot being a traitor. I can't really counter this one much, except to say that it could well be a part of being invisible.

So, now that I've raped your eyes with text: Am I missing something? I wouldn't be at all surprised if I had, so rip my theory apart if you can, please.

There's also another possibility of two (normal) groups of rogues with a thrall, who's basically a normal councillor who wins if one of the rogue groups do. Five enemies is pushing the limits imo for enemies, but I suppose it could work out. If this is the case there may or may not be a kill tonight, depending on if acid and squashua were on the same team or not.

Smasher on
    edited February 2007
    As for Thorgot's call for specials to contact him:
    thorgot wrote:
    Since we don't know all the rules, there may be one or two more specials out there. I'm going to post in the thread requesting that "all specials contact me."

So yeah, we didn't miss out on anything there.

Smasher on
    edited February 2007
    thorgot wrote:
    Since we don't know all the rules, there may be one or two more specials out there. I'm going to post in the thread requesting that "all specials contact me."

Well...that was anti-climactic. Gimme a minutes to dissect the rest of your post.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dudes, don't be angry at me, okay?

There was a fucking icestorm here, about 80,000 people in the city were/are without electricty- it went out for me about half an hour after my last post, and it only came on a few hours ago (but I was at work until just now).

Rest assured, I would have voted had I been able to.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2007
    thorgot wrote:

Why would he have expected the specials to contact him, out of curiosity? I mean, it makes him look suspicious, and it does nothing to convince specials to actually risk revealing themselves just to contact him. Nothing about thorgot makes sense to me... I think I'm going to have to reread your post again.

Navoc on
    edited February 2007
    Just to clarify, thor first approached me as "a special". His claim to be a vigilante came when I tried to get his PM by baiting him with the guardian PM I had received (he just altered it to be a vigilante role instead of a guardian role). I was confused by this, especially since I thought smasher was already in contact with him. He then said he was the seer and was testing me because he didn't trust me.
    Either way, he then said he had seered me as a villager, and that we should have the guardian protect himself while smasher tried to kill him in order to prove the guardian's role and free thor up to seer someone else. This plus the back and forth regarding his role (plus the issue of Lord Cecil) made the guardian very nervous.
    I had nothing to do personally with the decision to kill thor, but I wasn't particularly surprised.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    I !vote for DarkPrimus.

Smasher was the first to accuse him yesterday, which may be what lead to the attempted whacking. Also, he's claimed many times that he wasn't around for the whole Squasha thing. That ended up being a major FUBAR for the rogues, so it makes sense that the third rogue may have been absent at the time.

As I said before, I was gone during the whole thing because I had to work. It was a completely OOC situation, and I would have participated if I could have. Same with this damn icestorm that came up.

And since the power might go out again sometime, I should probably decide on someone to vote for sooner rather than later.

And since it was BOTP'd:

Dudes, don't be angry at me, okay?

There was a fucking icestorm here, about 80,000 people in the city were/are without electricty- it went out for me about half an hour after my last post, and it only came on a few hours ago (but I was at work until just now).

Rest assured, I would have voted had I been able to.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2007
    Well that was certainly a read and a half.

If what you say is true, then I'd be frankly astonished if Thorgot wasn't some sort of stealth rogue or thrall or something. I mean, for a villager to act that way would be... well, I don't know what. Bad. And unusual. Counter to the only real rule in this game: Don't intentionally screw over the team you're put on.

Hrm. More as my brain catches up to my eyes.

EDIT: Fair enough, DarkPrimus. You can't control nature, after all.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited February 2007
    Navoc wrote: »
    thorgot wrote:

Why would he have expected the specials to contact him, out of curiosity? I mean, it makes him look suspicious, and it does nothing to convince specials to actually risk revealing themselves just to contact him. Nothing about thorgot makes sense to me... I think I'm going to have to reread your post again.

Honestly, I don't know why. I didn't worry much about it because at that point I'd already decided to kill him. That, plus 1) I doubted (and still do) that there are any more villager specials, and 2) If there were any, I doubted they would contact him anyway. I agree with your confusion though.

Smasher on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    EDIT: Fair enough, DarkPrimus. Can't control nature, after all.

OR CAN YOU?

GrimmyTOA's PM:
    You are....an ice mage! Once in the game you can cast a level 9 ice storm to keep the person of your choice from posting for the remainder of the day.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png