As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prints, drawings, and comics

ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
So, some friends of mine asked me to make a comic to use for the programs at their wedding. They're big fans of the old Ditko/Kirby/Lee and Perez/Adams/O'Neal comic eras and wanted their programs to feel like a standard superhero wedding. The plan so far is for it to be 12 pages long with a campy plot that introduces all of the information in a program within the story.

They're wedding is next May, I'll be printing the booklets myself, and I'm planning on having the art for the books done by the end of this summer.

Here I'll be posting progress as I go along, and since it is most definitely a work in progress, I'm hoping for crits and suggestions along the way.

Here's the loose initial layout for the wraparound cover spoiler'd for h-scroll:
coversketch.gif

and here's the vector-work for the logos and junk on the cover (I've corrected the date since then, just haven't exported a new image.):
coverlogos.gif

ManonvonSuperock on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can't wait to see more progress. This is possibly the coolest wedding arrangement ever.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahahah! i can't wait to see this being fleshed out! :D

r-jasper on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can't wait to see more progress. This is possibly the coolest wedding arrangement ever.

Yes and yes!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We are going a bit more traditional in the materials surrounding our wedding, but this is quite cool.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wow...you have a month to do this??? looks awesome so far, but 12 pages could get close, especially with printing!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, he has like a year.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What a hilarious concept for a wedding. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yeah, i've got until May of '10. I'm hoping to have the artwork pretty much done for it around August or so, but waiting until closer to print them in case we have to make changes.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Here's a loose sketch for the last page I sent to the bride for approval. She told me that they were going to have people hold up drumsticks in an arch over their head as they walked to the car, and she wanted me to incorporate that someway into the comic.

lastpage.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    douguardian.gif

quick sketch to pitch the idea of his clothing being ripped off to reveal that he's wearing the guardian outfit underneath, there'd be a joke about him being an 'honorary' member of alpha flight, his favorite hero team.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    spambotspambot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice work. Pretty much the best invitations ever.

spambot on
    WingDamage.com - An Editorial Gaming Blog

Here There Be Robots - All ages Sci-Fi/Adventure comic
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the first few characters for the cover:
    marsironnite.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    here's most of the people for the front half of the cover.

front1.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    newlogos.gif

I changed the title around. I hated having to get rid of the Comics code stamp, as I thought it looked really good, but by doing so, I could make the title significantly larger.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    back1.gif

The first few characters for the back portion of the cover.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    code looks better where you have it now.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You draw a fantastic Lockjaw.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks duder.

He asked for the big-hitters to be included so that people that don't dig comics'll recognize some of them, (Spider-man, Batman, etc.) but the opportunity to fill it with obscure characters that he, his fiance, and myself all know and love is way too strong.

That explains Martain Manhunter instead of Supes in the most prominent position other than the newlyweds, Niteowl making the front cover (his favorite Watchmen character), Green Arrow making the front cover (her favorite hero), and Mr. Mind, Lockjaw, and Ego making the back.

I'm still deciding who to populate the back with, and want to throw in at least one or two non-Marvel or DC characters.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    The Maxx and Cerebus

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is impossibly cool. The groom better be making you best man for this! :P

Kris on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually, I might not even be able to make it to the wedding depending on the schedule of whatever school they have me student teaching at that semester, as he lives 300 miles away.

Rank- The Mazz is totally going in there, probably not on the cover, though. As for Cerebus, I've still yet to read anything with him in it, and I think that can be said for both the bride and groom, so I'll probably not include him.

I've got other requests from the B & G for stuff like Futurama characters and musicians, but I think I'll avoid having them on the cover because i want the cover to really scream "Silver-Age American comics"

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Actually, I might not even be able to make it to the wedding depending on the schedule of whatever school they have me student teaching at that semester, as he lives 300 miles away.

Rank- The Mazz is totally going in there, probably not on the cover, though. As for Cerebus, I've still yet to read anything with him in it, and I think that can be said for both the bride and groom, so I'll probably not include him.

I've got other requests from the B & G for stuff like Futurama characters and musicians, but I think I'll avoid having them on the cover because i want the cover to really scream "Silver-Age American comics"

Jimmy Olsen in a dress!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I vote either Dream or Desire from Sandman.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jimmy Olsen in a dress sounds like a lovely idea. Superman needs to be the reason he's in a dress, though. Superman, what a dick!

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I vote either Dream or Desire from Sandman.

Despite my love of Robert Smith from The Cure, I don't like Sandman even in the slightest, so Sandman characters are definitely not making the cut. However, I do like the idea of "Superman's Gal, Jimmy Olsen." It's part of the Fourth World stuff which is a big influence on the visual I'm trying to go for.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about Edward Hyde (LOXG), dressed in an improbable tuxedo?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm totally working some League in there, probably Tom Strong as well, and maybe someone from Top 10. Also, Swamp Thing and Man Thing both.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Myxlplyx

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hellboy or Invincible could be good non-Marvel/DC characters to use.

Some random ideas:

1) Darkseid sitting in his classic pose in his little skirt, arms folded and legs splayed

2) "Today, I am Galactus, Eater of Cake"

3) A bit darker, but have the Joker taking pictures

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually Galactus plays a big part in the end, and I'm totally using the old pantsless galactus in a tux version of his top.

Hellboy sounds great. I enjoy invincible but don't think the bride/groom are familiar with him.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    sasquatch

There'll be a group of people in front of sasquatch, so not much of him will be seen below the neck.

I'm probably going to scale Mogo down some.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is that Ego the Living Planet?

awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    manon

somehow

somewhere

please work in Herbie Popnecker

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aw, man. I totally should. That kid's awesome.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    your friend will totally love you for it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    fullgroup.gif

Here's the pencils for everyone except the bride and groom. I'm awaiting approval from them before I start inking it. If you guys see anything that's fucked up, now is the time to tell me.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is that Supergirl with Superman, or Lois from All-Star Superman?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    that's Supergirl. At the groom's request, she is to be crying over him getting married, with Supes consoling her.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    nice.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    platinum.gif

rotated magneto's shoulder to show more of platinum's face.

ManonvonSuperock on