As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft Online?

BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
I'm tempted to call BS on this one, but here's the link for those interested.

http://blog.gameshadow.com/?p=169

Behumat on

• Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    but if only

if only

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Two days from April 1st...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    Didn't Blizzard already say the MMO is a completely new IP?

Unknown User on
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I see nothing about the included image that suggests anything other than Starcraft 2. It probably wouldn't be too hard for "hosting online Starcraft games" to turn into "Starcraft Online" either. I'd say that's all this is about - assuming it's not pure BS, which it may well be.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    article was written over a month ago, and nobody has been talking about it

guess we can shoot that one down

Jasconius on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I would guess that that's early concept art for Starcraft 2, and not some kind of MMO project

I think Blizzard would be above shilling off another franchise to the MMO market.

oh god please don't let me eat my words

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, Blizzard is indeed working on a second MMO. Recently they moved Jeff Kaplan, who was like the head dude of WoW, onto the new project.

No, the new project is not Starcraft MMO. As someone else stated in this thread, the new Blizz MMO is based on a new IP. It will be something we haven't seen before.

Edit: Also, I've never heard of that "game shadow" site before in my life. If Blizz was gonna reveal its new MMO, it would not be from some podunk little site that nobody has ever heard of. Blizzard likes to reveal their new shit at BlizzCon or other events like the World Wide Invitational they held last year.

Lucascraft on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This reeks of falsedom.

4rch3nemy on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yes, Blizzard is indeed working on a second MMO. Recently they moved Jeff Kaplan, who was like the head dude of WoW, onto the new project.

Which means 120-man raids with boss fights that require you to use third-party mods like Decursive.

No, I still haven't forgotten your crimes, Kaplan.

Echo on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think this turned out to be fake fan-made art over a year ago.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't understand why they would cannibalize their WoW player base at this point. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to start a new MMO when WoW is at a big decline? Admittedly, I haven't paid attention to WoWs subscriber stats, but I am just guessing WoW is still doing well.

Shens on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...What would it matter? They'd be getting the money either way. I understand you probably mean it would be better to release a new MMO when everyone finally gets bored of WoW and therefore keep the maximum number of players, but I'd say WoW is far from a decline.

Adus on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shens wrote: »
    I don't understand why they would cannibalize their WoW player base at this point. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to start a new MMO when WoW is at a big decline? Admittedly, I haven't paid attention to WoWs subscriber stats, but I am just guessing WoW is still doing well.

“Let’s just say it’s going to be different and it’s not going to be a sequel to World of Warcraft. It will be different. We’re not trying to replace World of Warcraft with this new MMO. We’re trying to create a different massively multiplayer experience, and hopefully World of Warcraft will still be going strong when that one is released.”

Which is why people assume "World of Starcraft" would be an MMOFPS in the vein of Planetside. Where did they announce that the new MMO was going to be a new IP anyway?

SpongeCake on
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    ...What would it matter? They'd be getting the money either way. I understand you probably mean it would be better to release a new MMO when everyone finally gets bored of WoW and therefore keep the maximum number of players, but I'd say WoW is far from a decline.

I'd say that unless Ulduar provides much needed fun and joy for everyone, it will slide pretty damned fast. PvP is a joke, and raiding has been a farce since wrath came out.

Now is a very good time for a new blizz MMO. Clean slate for good ideas, less of the backlog of garbage.

Teslan26 on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    total load of shit

blizzard can host their own games, and those artworks are straight up dodgy

The Black Hunter on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ShengLong--article_image.jpg

GungHo on
    edited March 2009
    Here's a few fairly solid assumptions I think we can make, regarding a new Blizzard MMO:

-- It will be in a different genre than WoW. The next game will not be fantasy. That means no Diablo.
    -- The gameplay and style of the game will be different enough from WoW that it will appeal to a different playerbase
    -- It will be a Blizzard game, so whatever genre its in, it will dominate all the other competition.
    -- With as big a focus as Blizzard places on competition, PVP will almost certainly be a focal point of their next MMO.

Lucascraft on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They will create an MMOFPS in a joint venture with Valve

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Adus wrote: »

I'd say that unless Ulduar provides much needed fun and joy for everyone, it will slide pretty damned fast. PvP is a joke, and raiding has been a farce since wrath came out.

Now is a very good time for a new blizz MMO. Clean slate for good ideas, less of the backlog of garbage.

Well I half agree with you. PvP has always been a joke in my opinion due to perfect balance being impossible while retaining class uniqueness in this type of game, and raiding is currently worthless. It really diminishes the accomplishment to walk around Dalaran and see every single enhance shaman in the world with Calamity's Grasp and valor armor. The same could be said for any class and their best in slot items, obviously.

That being said, I think you underestimate just how much of WoW's playerbase is casual as all hell and actually find Naxx difficult and so on. So even if Ulduar is total shit, it'll keep hardcore raiders occupied for a few months nonetheless, where the rest will still be bitching about Malygos.

Adus on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's a few fairly solid assumptions I think we can make, regarding a new Blizzard MMO:

-- It will be in a different genre than WoW. The next game will not be fantasy. That means no Diablo.
    -- The gameplay and style of the game will be different enough from WoW that it will appeal to a different playerbase
    -- It will be a Blizzard game, so whatever genre its in, it will dominate all the other competition.
    -- With as big a focus as Blizzard places on competition, PVP will almost certainly be a focal point of their next MMO.

I have to agree on just about all these points. I wouldn't put it past them to create some kind of class based MMOFPS. Think, TF2, only with levels and shit. I have a feeling they could pull it off.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I have to agree on just about all these points. I wouldn't put it past them to create some kind of class based MMOFPS. Think, TF2, only with levels and shit. I have a feeling they could pull it off.

Why does everyone assume everything Blizzard will release at this point will "dominate all the other competition"? Haven't they lost most of the people that worked on the classics that we love? If you are talking about sales, then yes, I agree. The Blizzard brand name will sell just about anything at this point.

Shens on
    edited March 2009
    Bill Roper and his cronies that left to form Flagship were a large portion of the people who left Blizzard that you are talking about. And Hellgate London was a travesty. Somehow I think Blizzard will continue to do just fine without these people.

Lucascraft on
  • spinal77spinal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blizzard's design principles seem to be function of the COMPANY and not the employees working there. See: Hellgate London as example and the products other ex-employees have created after leaving. There is something in their design process that just works.

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    spinal77 wrote: »
    Blizzard's design principles seem to be function of the COMPANY and not the employees working there. See: Hellgate London as example and the products other ex-employees have created after leaving. There is something in their design process that just works.

Arena.Net was composed of ex-Blizzard employees and was pretty successful.

But yeah, Blizzard just turns any old shit into gold.

chasehatesbears on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

1.7 meg shithead gif

But really, when they say different, and not competing with WoW, it definitely sounds like something non-fantasy, non-RPGish, which right off the bat is awesome

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't believe this is real until April 2nd. It's far too close to April fools for me to believe anything Blizzard is going to say.

Kinderparty on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bill Roper and his cronies that left to form Flagship were a large portion of the people who left Blizzard that you are talking about. And Hellgate London was a travesty. Somehow I think Blizzard will continue to do just fine without these people.

Those were also the majority of the original design team that made Vanilla WoW, and I know I'm not the only one that misses the original WoW and thinks that the game really took a turn for the worse with TBC and subsequently with WotLK. At the same time I can recognize that Hellgate:London was terrible, but I think a lot of that can be boiled down to running out of time, money and lacking clear direction, which is a problem that Blizzard surely doesn't have.

I don't have a lot of confidence in a game designed primarily by a guy like Jeff Kaplan.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009

Those were also the majority of the original design team that made Vanilla WoW, and I know I'm not the only one that misses the original WoW and thinks that the game really took a turn for the worse with TBC and subsequently with WotLK. At the same time I can recognize that Hellgate:London was terrible, but I think a lot of that can be boiled down to running out of time, money and lacking clear direction, which is a problem that Blizzard surely doesn't have.

I don't have a lot of confidence in a game designed primarily by a guy like Jeff Kaplan.

Wow people miss Vanilla Wow, land of grinding on mobs to level and 8 hour raiding nights 6 days a week, and the SERIOUS BUSINESS guild leaders?

Personally I'm willing to see what this mystery project is, since Kaplan has done an excellent job in the past (to me).

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
    edited April 2009

Wow people miss Vanilla Wow, land of grinding on mobs to level and 8 hour raiding nights 6 days a week, and the SERIOUS BUSINESS guild leaders?

Personally I'm willing to see what this mystery project is, since Kaplan has done an excellent job in the past (to me).

Besides the fact that I never ever had to grind on mobs to level in the 5-6 times I got to 60 (which got even easier after they added in the hinterlands quests and the searing gorge stuff), I see everything there as being superior to what's in there now (with the possible exception of bugs and some questionable class balance but that can be forgiven). All I see now are rep grinds, pvp grinds, and throwaway epics. While there are a few great quests from the 60-70 range and the 70-80 range, I feel less thought has been put in on how to make what you're doing fun and interesting, and more into how they can keep a player paying the monthly charges longer with the promise of a small reward at the end and having cooler looking weapons and armor.

The grind these days is far more universal than it was back then. Nowadays you can't do or get anything without having to do it upwards of 10-50 times, they took the grind out of raiding and just put it back out into the open world. Then they put in things like daily quests which force you to have to do it over the course of weeks or months instead of getting it out of the way in a few hours. I miss large scale open world spontaneous pvp, challenging 5 man instances that people actually wanted to go to, I miss getting a cool new sword that looked like a sword, not like a piece of a planet glued to a handle, heck I miss exploring. Nowadays everything has to have a reward instead of the fun itself, and so things are focused far more towards the reward than it is towards the fun. You don't need to have to look much farther than the woeful arena implementation, or the fact that when people log on these days they don't do stuff like raid other cities, run instances with friends to help them get their last piece of set armor, or find other creative ways to have fun. Now they log on, try and bang out their 15 daily quests for money/rep and then farm herbs for tomorrow's raid. :v:

Expect all that junk to be fully in place in whatever mmo he's working on. The core of the game was long in place by the time he took over. He didn't ruin the game by any means, but he played less towards the strengths of what the game already had and what made it successful and he turned the game even more into a grind while taking away any sort of challenge was there. Admittedly, this is probably what the market wanted, as the casual gamers are all over it now, but for me the game has gotten very very bland.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    game got bland years ago

I got tired of WoW once I hit level 60. Got into it once the expansion hit and then got bored at level 70. Never bothered with WoTLK.

I really hope they're developing a PvP MMO, because PvE in almost every MMO ever created is about as fun as rubbing your dick with sandpaper.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009

Besides the fact that I never ever had to grind on mobs to level in the 5-6 times I got to 60 (which got even easier after they added in the hinterlands quests and the searing gorge stuff), I see everything there as being superior to what's in there now (with the possible exception of bugs and some questionable class balance but that can be forgiven). All I see now are rep grinds, pvp grinds, and throwaway epics. While there are a few great quests from the 60-70 range and the 70-80 range, I feel less thought has been put in on how to make what you're doing fun and interesting, and more into how they can keep a player paying the monthly charges longer with the promise of a small reward at the end and having cooler looking weapons and armor.

The grind these days is far more universal than it was back then. Nowadays you can't do or get anything without having to do it upwards of 10-50 times, they took the grind out of raiding and just put it back out into the open world. Then they put in things like daily quests which force you to have to do it over the course of weeks or months instead of getting it out of the way in a few hours. I miss large scale open world spontaneous pvp, challenging 5 man instances that people actually wanted to go to, I miss getting a cool new sword that looked like a sword, not like a piece of a planet glued to a handle, heck I miss exploring. Nowadays everything has to have a reward instead of the fun itself, and so things are focused far more towards the reward than it is towards the fun. You don't need to have to look much farther than the woeful arena implementation, or the fact that when people log on these days they don't do stuff like raid other cities, run instances with friends to help them get their last piece of set armor, or find other creative ways to have fun. Now they log on, try and bang out their 15 daily quests for money/rep and then farm herbs for tomorrow's raid. :v:

Expect all that junk to be fully in place in whatever mmo he's working on. The core of the game was long in place by the time he took over. He didn't ruin the game by any means, but he played less towards the strengths of what the game already had and what made it successful and he turned the game even more into a grind while taking away any sort of challenge was there. Admittedly, this is probably what the market wanted, as the casual gamers are all over it now, but for me the game has gotten very very bland.

To each their own I guess. I log on, run instances with my friends, people do organize capital city raids on my servers, etc.

I played through closed beta, into release up to about 6 months before TBC. I had to grind mobs on my old server (a pvp one)at higher levels because I could never get anything done otherwise as I would be getting owned (was a warrior, at the time pretty much gank bait). I had to deal with raiding guild drama, and it just seemed like *work*.

I came back at the tail end of TBC. It no longer feels like work. I can get on, have some fun, and most importantly advance my character in something in an hour or two. I guess I'm just one of those horrible casuals *shrug*

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    game got bland years ago

I got tired of WoW once I hit level 60. Got into it once the expansion hit and then got bored at level 70. Never bothered with WoTLK.

I really hope they're developing a PvP MMO, because PvE in almost every MMO ever created is about as fun as rubbing your dick with sandpaper.

Well, see, there's the impression among MMO creators that MMOs have to be grind based. Along with the grind comes gear dependency, because you can't have an MMO without shitloads of numbers everywhere.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2009

To each their own I guess. I log on, run instances with my friends, people do organize capital city raids on my servers, etc.

I played through closed beta, into release up to about 6 months before TBC. I had to grind mobs on my old server (a pvp one)at higher levels because I could never get anything done otherwise as I would be getting owned (was a warrior, at the time pretty much gank bait). I had to deal with raiding guild drama, and it just seemed like *work*.

I came back at the tail end of TBC. It no longer feels like work. I can get on, have some fun, and most importantly advance my character in something in an hour or two. I guess I'm just one of those horrible casuals *shrug*

It's not that casual is bad, it's just that they took the challenge out of any aspect of the game, and replaced it with more rewards and more grinding. Getting stuff these days doesn't take less time, in fact, I would argue it takes more time than it ever did, it's just easy easy time spent. The challenge isn't finding good players playing at their best to overcome something anymore, it's become who can spend the most time grinding this rep or that rep, or spending 3 straight weeks for 5 hours a day in the same battle ground, etc.

People used to organize city raids (cap cities and others) for fun, and spontaneous pvp would break out in places like southshore/TM, but now the only reason city raids happen is so that people can get bear mounts. I've also found that raiding guild drama hasn't changed really at all. I was in a raiding guild in vanilla that did all the 40 man stuff. That same guild survived to raid TBC and when it broke up it reformed under a new name. It's still 2-3 nights a week from 7-11, and it still generally clears everything it attempts. So that part of the game hasn't changed for me, what did change though is I felt 'what's the point?' Since epic items became so common to the point that greens and blues are almost completely unused. But then they turned around and turned stuff in the game that was just fun before (namely pvp) into just another grind. "What's that? You spent x hours over y weeks getting that gear? Well guess what, it's completely useless in pvp, it's another grind!" What was true before that 'gear > skill in WoW pvp' has been exacerbated to the point that you can't even contribute in PvP unless you have a few weeks/months of grinding pvp gear under your belt.

Basically what jeff kaplan did to WoW was take everything that was already in the game, and add little or nothing to it but find ways to implement grinds into it in order to artificially extend subscription times.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    game got bland years ago

I always say I want a pvp based MMO but whenever a company tries to make one it comes out terrible, at least for me.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    I wouldn't mind PvE if it was more than the dumb, monotone and boring stuff we have in most MMO's today.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009
    My favorite type of pve stuff is exploration. In the early days of MMOs I remember playing a game called clan lord. It was mostly a grind fest. There wasn't really any questing at all, you just killed stuff and leveled up after a while. But what was so fun about it to me was, once your character got powerful, you could go explore places most other players had never seen and never been to. It felt dangerous.

I don't know how to apply this to other MMOs though. It seems modern MMOs are a bit transparent in their layouts. Here's the quest hub, every single part of this zone has monsters segregated from eachother for you to complete your quests in. You go here for quest A and there for quest B. Usually every part of a zone is simply meant for questing. I'd like to see something that rewarded exploration. It would require a pretty huge game world, or a smaller player base though.

Dissociater on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My favorite type of pve stuff is exploration. In the early days of MMOs I remember playing a game called clan lord. It was mostly a grind fest. There wasn't really any questing at all, you just killed stuff and leveled up after a while. But what was so fun about it to me was, once your character got powerful, you could go explore places most other players had never seen and never been to. It felt dangerous.

I don't know how to apply this to other MMOs though. It seems modern MMOs are a bit transparent in their layouts. Here's the quest hub, every single part of this zone has monsters segregated from eachother for you to complete your quests in. You go here for quest A and there for quest B. Usually every part of a zone is simply meant for questing. I'd like to see something that rewarded exploration. It would require a pretty huge game world, or a smaller player base though.

The most fun I ever had in WoW to date is getting the World Explorer achievement on release day.

Vanguard I felt always had the potential to be a great exploration game, but unfortunately I felt it never delivered. It had a pretty big world, but the implementation was so terrible that it just sucked the fun out of everything.

I want an MMO world that is real world huge, where you can grab some groupmates to fend off monsters, hop on the helm of your ship, and head out to the horizon in search of islands never before discovered. I want to see unnamed pieces of land be named by the leader of the first raid to discover them.

The only trick is to have all this incorporated in a game that has good PvE and PvP content as well.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009

You mean a PWNS?

Echo on
    edited April 2009
    delroland wrote: »

The most fun I ever had in WoW to date is getting the World Explorer achievement on release day.

Vanguard I felt always had the potential to be a great exploration game, but unfortunately I felt it never delivered. It had a pretty big world, but the implementation was so terrible that it just sucked the fun out of everything.

I want an MMO world that is real world huge, where you can grab some groupmates to fend off monsters, hop on the helm of your ship, and head out to the horizon in search of islands never before discovered. I want to see unnamed pieces of land be named by the leader of the first raid to discover them.

The only trick is to have all this incorporated in a game that has good PvE and PvP content as well.

Yeah, that's very close to what I've always wanted, unfortunately I think it's probably not possible under the current generation of MMOs. The game Chronicles of Spellborne was supposed to deliver something like that. The concept of the game was that your planet had basically been destroyed by magic or something and that life only existed in pockets of rock floating around a magical space type thing. And you could take your ship and find other shards and inhabit them and get them named after you and some such. But the game didn't pan out as promised.

The star trek online game looks like it might though, with procedurally generated worlds/star systems.

I think that would be my ideal type of game. The kind where you set up your own world. So, for example, all the players are part of a kingdom on a small island that gets wiped out by a volcano or some other disaster, the kingdom fractures and scatters away from the island. Your goal is to try and reestablish a society and cities by working together with other players, fending off raids of monsters, exploring the new world you're now a part of, establishing alliances with other cities, etc. Under scrutiny this game would probably be more fun as a single player game, and there's also an issue of new players joining after a year and missing all the good stuff as everything's already established. But that's the crux of the problem, how to keep exploration relevant after the game's been live for 2 weeks/2 months/2years?

I also hope that game makers aren't discouraged by the lack of success that some recent MMOs have had though, and continue to try new things. As much fun as I had with WoW back in the day, I'd like to play a different style of MMO instead of a WoW clone in a different setting.

Dissociater on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In other words, we need World of Dwarf Fortress.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23