As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac OSX BootCamp issues

Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I installed a copy of Windows XP on my macbook, and I'm having some issues with it. The installation was successful, but the software necessary to actually make windows work on my system isn't installing. There are two disks with apple software and drivers on them, and the first disk successfully installed bootcamp software on the windows partition. The second disk, however, is not being read by windows. I put it in and it registers that a CD is there, but it apparently has 0 bites of data on it. When I read the CD in OSX it appears to be a functioning disk with the normal information on it.

Now I assume this second disk has some missing software and drivers on it - while the built in camera is working, the right click and two finger scrolling function on the trackpad are not. It's also not recognizing my computer's wireless thingy and so I can't connect to the interbutts.

So I guess my question is, do I need another copy of windows or do I need to get the data off the second disk somehow? Whenver I boot into apple from windows there's the addition problem that it resets the clock to december 2000 and forgets wireless connections. Is that normal or further evidence that I need a new XP disk?

Casual Eddy on

• SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    strange question - How many partitions does osx register for you? I know if you have more than 3 bootcamp can have all sorts of absolutely bizarre things happen

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just have the one partition, 40 gigs big

Casual Eddy on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My first question is do you have the SP3 version of XP. I thought that this was a requirement, so you probably do, but if you don't, this may be your problem.

I am going by memory, but when I set up bootcamp, I remember using one less OSX disk to update than I expected. So that means 1 or 0, but as I recall it was 0... I got the impression that when I setup bootcamp, I somehow got all the pieces. That being said, this was on the larger IMac, and I think that things vary wildly between the laptops and desktops.

As I don't believe you are an Idiot who failed to google around for similar problems, I suggest that your problems with the Date, Drivers, etc are a windows problem. Maybe you could borrow another windows from the magic interweb, JUST TO TEST IF THIS IS THE CASE AND THEN DELETE IT INSTANTLY.

Thinking about it, since the drivers seem to be related to the laptop-specific trackpad, they may very well be on the second disk, but if so windows, or bootcamp earlier, should have recognized this.

Check to make sure that your bootcamp is updated (preferably before you install windows)
    Check that windows is Service Pack 3
    Kick Steve Jobs in his balls

Edit: these links look discouraging.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1433222&tstart=0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1529432&tstart=0

Not sure about the wireless thing, I know it took me a while to remember how to set up wireless shit through jank-ass-windows

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only OSX disc with anything useful in Windows is the first disc, the one you've already used. The second disc is just iLife and nothing else. There is, however, an updated version of Boot Camp at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/bootcampupdate21forwindowsxp.html

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Actually I haven't updated my software in a little while I don't think.

I'll update it and give it another whirl I guess

Casual Eddy on