As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need recommendations for VTT software (Virtual Tabletop)

devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Critical Failures
So I am leading a new D&D 4e group, and we have a number of local players (me as the DM, up to 5 others at a given time), and 3 remote players. Locally, we have dice, miniatures, and tiles/mats/etc etc. Remotely, obviously, more difficult time. We all have easy access to vent, a decent microphone, an IRC dicebot and a webcam, but looking at mapping software/group management.

I see lots of links to different software (http://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/vts.html), but have a hard time finding something that I can trust. I don't mind buying something, just want to make sure what I am getting is worthwhile. I also see the MapTool software, which might work for what I need considering everything else is complete already, and might work.

Any other recommendations on software to use/methods/etc? Any ideas would be great.

deveric on

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lots of views, no replies, any thoughts?

deveric on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MapTool

Talk to Goumindong, dude has made that program jump through hoops.

Pony on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    MapTool

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    MapTool

Im in one of that guy's games (which sadly just got put on hiatus cause of overwhelming ammounts of school work on Goumin's side) and they arent even kidding. Goumin has gone above and beyond with that and it is wonderful.

Lardalish on
    edited March 2009
    Cool, I'll have to talk with him if I can't figure it out, but otherwise Vent + dicebot + maptool should be all we need?

deveric on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    deveric wrote: »
    Cool, I'll have to talk with him if I can't figure it out, but otherwise Vent + dicebot + maptool should be all we need?

Maptool is the dicebot, among other things. You can do macros that roll the die, add appropriate modifiers, and then properly format the result.

Darian on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You should only need Ventrilo (or other VoIP software) and Maptools. You can also use Token Tool to easily create custom Tokens, but all tokens are just drag and drop image files anyway.

I've used at least a dozen virtual tabletop programs out there, and Maptools is the best by far. It even lets me run Castle Falkenstein games (which uses playing cards instead of dice) fairly easily.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    You should only need Ventrilo (or other VoIP software) and Maptools. You can also use Token Tool to easily create custom Tokens, but all tokens are just drag and drop image files anyway.

I've used at least a dozen virtual tabletop programs out there, and Maptools is the best by far. It even lets me run Castle Falkenstein games (which uses playing cards instead of dice) fairly easily.

Nice, I'll still stick with IRC for PM's and the like at least, since I tend to do that often while playing. I'll have to play around with it in the next few days, creating maps, rolling dice, etc etc.

Just gonna take some time to learn to update both virtual table and physical table.

deveric on