As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation 3 Region Question [SOLVED]

tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm sorry if this has been answered a million times already, but I just recently purchased a PS3 and had some questions regarding the machine. I am in the U.S. if that helps.

- Can it play any region DVDs?
- Can it play any region Blu Rays?
- Can it play any region PS3 games?

Thank you in advace!

tardcore on

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Though the PlayStation 3 is not locked by any particular region, meaning a Japanese PS3 should play European titles, there is one caveat as far as technology is concerned.

Jem Alexander, a new writer for Joystiq sister PS3 Fanboy and the owner of a US PS3 living in Europe, recently picked up a European copy of F.E.A.R. only to get a discouraging message: "This game not supported (80028F10)." You don't need to be fluent in hexdecimal (and if not, why are you wearing those t-shirts, hm?) to feel confusion and resentment towards the supposedly region-free console.

The problem is much less sinister. North America and Japan use NTSC television standards, or 480i, while Europe uses PAL standards, or 576i. Hence, the US PS3 isn't configured to handle the extra 96 lines of imaging. (You might remember a similar problem being noted with European Genesis releases for the Wii Virtual Console.) The solution is simple but costly: all PS3 titles support 720p, so buy an HDTV set."

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the short answers as they will apply to you

- no
    - sometimes
    - yes

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009