As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sore throat despite antibiotics. Worry now?

desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello my name is GAH MY THRoAT!

I went to the doctor with a very sore throat about a week ago. I have been on antibiotics and pain killers since. What started as an all-round inflammation and soreness has developed into a sharp pain on the right side of my throat. My right ear has also started to feel odd, a sort of dull, creeping pain.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through a course of antibiotics, and I have a repeat prescription. Should I be worried? I would have expected some improvement by now.

desperaterobots on

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go back to the doctor.

I had this happen to me a few years ago. Ended up being a really bad strain of strep that not only took more and more powerful antibiotics to get rid of, but kept coming back every few months. Ended up having to have my tonsils out because of it.

But the first step was going back to the doctor and telling them the antibiotics weren't helping.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Go back. Could be that this particular antibiotic is not working. They will probably give you a different kind.

Make sure you tell them in detail all your symptoms.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Common sense affirmed. Thanks chums.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bloodwork!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go back. If your tonsils swell up really badly/ turn white go the ER.

Walter on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go back to the doctor.

I had this happen to me a few years ago. Ended up being a really bad strain of strep that not only took more and more powerful antibiotics to get rid of, but kept coming back every few months. Ended up having to have my tonsils out because of it.

But the first step was going back to the doctor and telling them the antibiotics weren't helping.

Same fucking thing. I had Strep, the pain was JUST like you described, it felt like it was creeping up my jaw and into my ear. I would get a steroid and antibiotics, but once the steroid wore off, it hurt again, without fail...

And now I'm tonsil-less.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The normal therapy of antibiotics is approximately 3 months for throat infection, you also need to use listerine once a day as gargarism.

It is good idea to stop by the doctors office, but you must continue your treatment.

P.S.

Infections such as this have the potention of harming heart valves

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hello my name is GAH MY THRoAT!

I went to the doctor with a very sore throat about a week ago. I have been on antibiotics and pain killers since. What started as an all-round inflammation and soreness has developed into a sharp pain on the right side of my throat. My right ear has also started to feel odd, a sort of dull, creeping pain.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through a course of antibiotics, and I have a repeat prescription. Should I be worried? I would have expected some improvement by now.

At about a week, unless you are feeling rigors (eg, fevers and chills beyond a reaction to your room's thermostat), I would not say that you have to rush back to the doctor. My two cents:

Every single person who gets a sore throat should be taking 1) an anti-inflammatory (motrin/ibuprofen for most people, naproxen for people with reflux/other stomache issues, and tylenol for anyone with bleeding issues) and 2) a decongestant. The reason people get a sore throat is (90%+) a bacterial superinfection of torn pharyngeal mucosa when a viral upper respiratory infection (read: runny nose) is allowed to drip down the back of that person's throat for a night or two. I recommend Chlorpheniramine because its the cheapest, shortest lasting, and least dangerous in pregnancy (the only class B decongestant in Britain, still class C here). If you want something to help you sleep, benadryl cannot be beaten for as a runny nose/sleep aid.

Okay, so you drip and you get a sore throat, what next? You still need 1 and 2 to treat the inlammatory process that has made you vulnerable to bugs. Then come antibiotics, of which amoxicillin and azythromycin (z-packs, very popular because it is a strong anti-inflammatory and makes even people with viral URIs feel better) are the most common. Both will reliably kill or at least hinder the group A strep that causes rheumatic fever. Resistance to early generation 'cillins is now at about 25%, higher on college campuses.

Your ear hurts because the eustachian tube (what equalizes pressure when you yawn on an airplane) is no longer open due to inflammation. Very very common, not something you need different abx for.

Reasons to go to the doc/urgent care/ER: :!:
    A) Rigors after 24h on abx - rigors always mean bacteremia, an infection that is out of control enough to get into your bloodstream
    B) Focal, severely tender swelling - if you uvula is no longer hanging down in the middle, or a tooth starts to feel loose, it is because you have developed an abscess which needs, at the minimum, a needle stick to decompress.
    C) You weren't initially put on antibiotics (negative rapid strep) but are now experiencing worsening symptoms or you were put on "older" abx (pen, even now amoxicillin) and you feel worse not better.

A week of discomfort is normal. Two weeks is not, worth at least a phone call. Make sure to finish your meds. Make sure to add 1 and 2 from above. If you or someone can look into your throat and see that the painful side seems to be bulging, a visit to the ER is appropriate.

((Fantasma - 3 months of antibiotics is not a usual course))

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I have had sore throat at least twice, and I was put on a 3 month antibiotics treatment (directly injected in my buttocks), I did ask the doctors and they tell me it was normal.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fantasma wrote: »

I have had sore throat at least twice, and I was put on a 3 month antibiotics treatment (directly injected in my buttocks), I did ask the doctors and they tell me it was normal.

That is not normal. Not for strep or other bacterial sore throat that responds to oral antibiotics.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »

That is not normal. Not for strep or other bacterial sore throat that responds to oral antibiotics.

This. That had to have been some crazy, bizarre throat infection. I have never heard of a treatment like that.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »

This. That had to have been some crazy, bizarre throat infection. I have never heard of a treatment like that.

friend had this done for a really bad mono infection

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Like Bendery said it could be mono, I caught it a few months back and the pain in my throat was so bad I basically stopped eating for a few days. Bad news though is if it is mono antibiotics will do nothing for it, just gotta ride it out.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Most of my post was intended as general advice for people who find themselves developing a sore throat. The hard part about talking to people with questions whether its online or over the phone, is that a history, basic physical exam, and vitals are a whole lot more useful than a line or two from a patient.

The basic rule should always be- if your body is telling you something is seriously wrong (pain unlike your previous experiences) then its not a bad idea to head in. On the other hand, worrying about all the possible things that could be going wrong - especially when you don't have specific symptoms - leads only to unnecessary tests (and tests themselves carry dangers, not the least of which is a false positive result.) Most people need reassurance. The people who are convinced that something's wrong, I never try to dissuade them unless I can see them in person.

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If antibiotics aren't working I would think it's a virus, because antibiotics don't work on them.

Duffel on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    If antibiotics aren't working I would think it's a virus, because antibiotics don't work on them.

It could also be a fungus. Is the tongue isn't covered in a black fuzz or anything like that?

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

It could also be a fungus. Is the tongue isn't covered in a black fuzz or anything like that?

One would think he'd take note of it if his tongue was covered in black fuzz - one wonders what sport could give you 'athlete's throat'!

You might try speaking to an advice nurse or your doctor over the phone before coming in. It's possible they'll tell you, the first time you're worried about this, that you should give your meds more time to work or that it's a virus. If they're going to do that, you might as well get that initial contact out of the way so when you speak to them again they might do something.

That sort of thing depends on the doctor, but it's a best practice for me in a world where I don't have my own personal doctor and I want to establish that i've been sick/in pain for a while.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually just went through this. Turns out I had a canker sore on my right tonsil. Might wanna ask your doctor about that, just in case.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Information! Awesome post Iron.

So I made an appointment because the ear thing was concerning me, but I cancelled it the following morning because the pain had subsided a good deal. I've been on ibuprofen & codeine (neurofen plus) the whole time, and gargling every morning and night. I think I'll just take the repeat course of antibiotics to make sure it's good and dead because this first course is almost through and there's still some redness back there.

Also, what the hell is with my tonsils? My left one is huge, the right one is no where to be seen. :|

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Information! Awesome post Iron.

So I made an appointment because the ear thing was concerning me, but I cancelled it the following morning because the pain had subsided a good deal. I've been on ibuprofen & codeine (neurofen plus) the whole time, and gargling every morning and night. I think I'll just take the repeat course of antibiotics to make sure it's good and dead because this first course is almost through and there's still some redness back there.

Also, what the hell is with my tonsils? My left one is huge, the right one is no where to be seen. :|

The ear thing might be because your tonsil is swollen and it's pushing your ear canal, or whatever part it's called. Are there any small sores you can see? Like, little white circles or anything?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ask for a lab culture of your throat, not just a rapid strep test. Identification of the organism makes treatment far easier, plus they can do an antibiotic resistance test to find a better antibiotic.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on