As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This thread failed 3 death saving throws. OH NOES

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like that "sci fi" approach Mindtaker.

Might have to steal that idea.

"John Carter of Mars" and similar stories would be particularly easy to bring over.

Also I'd add:

Aliens = Monsters or Non-Human races :P

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Ravnica.

Ravnica would make a spectacular setting, although I think that they'd do well to remove references to the majority of the pre-existing characters or it could fall into the Forgotten Realms trap.

At most, I think I'd leave the "guild leaders" in place but only because they're largely inextricable from the setting.

I heard about that series, and I liked the card art that I saw. Man, Wizards really needs to just print out artbooks of for each series of M:TG... :O

I'd buy a Ravnica art book in a heartbeat, even if only to use in some sort of adapted homebrew ecumenopolis-styled setting. (Which I have been tempted to try my hand at for awhile now, as I love the concept)

Maddoc on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    well i figured that one went without saying. Actually, most of the stories i've been reading recently don't even deal with other species, so it kinda slipped my mind. woops.

Also, ecumenopolis does sound fun.

Themindtaker on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does the Implement Mastery feat stack with the +to-rolls-based-on-keywords feats such as Astral Fire/Dark Fury? I'm really not sure how this works.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Does the Implement Mastery feat stack with the +to-rolls-based-on-keywords feats such as Astral Fire/Dark Fury? I'm really not sure how this works.

Those add +damage

Maddoc on
    edited March 2009
    So they do, I'll be damned.

Guess I need to learn to read.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited March 2009

No problem! Either way, when questions of stacking come up usually they'll be worded as such...

"... gives a +X feat bonus..."
    "... gives a +X power bonus..."
    or for an untyped bonus just,
    "... gives a +X bonus..."

etc.

No two bonuses of the same type stack, untyped bonuses stack with everything else.

Maddoc on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You can only add 1 of each type of bonus. So if the implement mastery bonus is a feat bonus, it does not stack with other feat bonuses. Just make sure you're not stacking two bonuses of the same explicit type (feat, power, etc) and you're good to go.

Rend on
  • adnprydeadnpryde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ravensmuse wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the Iron Kingdoms, the roleplaying game set in the Warmachines / Hordes world.

Yes! This is by far one of my favorite settings. I am currently running the Witchfire Trilogy in 4e. The group is about half way through Book 2. These adventures are easy on the conversions because they don't add any new classes, all I really have had to do is make a bunch of new enemies or rename some enemies from the MM to fit the setting, and put in some basic firearm rules (easy to find online).

adnpryde on
    edited March 2009
    Random tangent: Was I the only person who, for the poll currently in the topic, and knowing nothing about DnD settings, picked Planescape purely because of Planescape: Torment?

Arkan on
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

No problem! Either way, when questions of stacking come up usually they'll be worded as such...

etc.

No two bonuses of the same type stack, untyped bonuses stack with everything else.

I've actually been wondering -

if you get a bonus from a feat, but it does not say 'feat bonus' in the description, is it untyped? Similarly with powers. I have been playing so far under the assumption that if it comes from a power its a power bonus and if it comes from a feat its a feat bonus, even if it doesn't say it specifically in the description. Is there an official ruling on this?

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

etc.

I've actually been wondering -

if you get a bonus from a feat, but it does not say 'feat bonus' in the description, is it untyped? Similarly with powers. I have been playing so far under the assumption that if it comes from a power its a power bonus and if it comes from a feat its a feat bonus, even if it doesn't say it specifically in the description. Is there an official ruling on this?

If it does not say explicitly, it is untyped. If you want to houserule it to say that all bonuses from those sources count as those types, it will make things a bit harder, but I doubt it will make too much of a difference in your game.

Rend on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Considering the formulaic prefix/suffix naming convenions of new creatures and the rather pedestrian planes system used in 4e, I think they'll have more success either holding another setting contest or just revising previous settings. The current design team made a very solid dungeon-crawler but goddamn I'd swear they've never read any fantasy that was older than 12 years or didn't have a videogame tie-in.

Wait, what? What is the problem with the new planes system, and in what way does it resemble a video game at all? I personally enjoy that it's a relatively straightforward setup and is comprised almost exclusively of interesting places to go rather than, say, the elemental paraplane of hot scalding mud, and I enjoy not wasting time having to hash out the difference between the Astral and Ethereal planes to my players over and over.

EDIT: this is all assuming you even need a default setting or cosmology at all. I got my start with 2E and the PHB and DMG didn't really bother explaining the world or the default assumptions very much, and somehow my friends and I muddled through with those books for 10 years.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Considering the formulaic prefix/suffix naming convenions of new creatures and the rather pedestrian planes system used in 4e, I think they'll have more success either holding another setting contest or just revising previous settings. The current design team made a very solid dungeon-crawler but goddamn I'd swear they've never read any fantasy that was older than 12 years or didn't have a videogame tie-in.

Wait, what? What is the problem with the new planes system, and in what way does it resemble a video game at all? I personally enjoy that it's a relatively straightforward setup and is comprised almost exclusively of interesting places to go rather than, say, the elemental paraplane of hot scalding mud, and I enjoy not wasting time having to hash out the difference between the Astral and Ethereal planes to my players over and over.

EDIT: this is all assuming you even need a default setting or cosmology at all. I got my start with 2E and the PHB and DMG didn't really bother explaining the world or the default assumptions very much, and somehow my friends and I muddled through with those books for 10 years.

I'm with you on this one. I suppose the names aren't that great, but I appreciate it's simplicity. There is so much historical D&D to draw upon that it'd be easy to add more complexity, if you so wished.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I would kill for another setting contest. I got a great idea. I just need a chance to make buttloads of money off of it. :-P

Premier kakos on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    everybody has [strike]great[/strike] ideas. :>

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, mine are objectively great.

Premier kakos on
    edited March 2009

I'm with you on this one. I suppose the names aren't that great, but I appreciate it's simplicity. There is so much historical D&D to draw upon that it'd be easy to add more complexity, if you so wished.

I tend to rename the planes... since they're folklorish enough there would probably be many names for them anyway.

Sea of Stars

Outer Darkness

However... I've found it hard to come up with a non-awful name for the Feywild. I've considered stealing "Undying Lands" from Tolkien. Though for one campaign I called it the "Eternal Seasons" that was divided into four kingdoms that were characterized by always being in a single season.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Why not just call the Feywild Faerie? That's pretty much what it is, anyway. It's Narnia and Hy Brasil.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I didn't say the new planes were like a video game (I would say the artwork is, but we were talking about WotC making new settings from scratch, so that's another issue entirely), I said they were pedestrian. I'm fine with them being simple, and the parallel connections of the realms of the Fey and Shadow to the mortal, mundane realm is very useful in its ability to be both separate and easy to access as needed, and does have some traditional elements in its nature.

But moving on to the implied history of the PoL setting and the interractions between the stuff in the astral sea, the elemental chaos, abberants and gods and dragons and stuff, on the other hand, just bores me. It's a background too plain and predictable to make me want to explore, so the distinctions become meaningless and I've mostly been throwing it out while brainstorming. The Outer Planes were at least interesting for thematic variety and complexity.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited March 2009
    Well, mine are objectively great.

You are becoming to this forum what Defender is to Social Entropy ++.

This is not something you want to be.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why not just call the Feywild Faerie? That's pretty much what it is, anyway. It's Narnia and Hy Brasil.

Which is a much better name than 'Feywild'. 'The Feywild' just feels clunky and unevocative to me.

And I'm all about the evocation.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited April 2009
    The Outer Planes were at least interesting for thematic variety and complexity.

How is it any different in practice? If you want to go to, say, Acheron, you can. The only difference is in 4E you might encounter it whilst sailing on the Astral Sea rather than floating around with a silver cord like someone's bad acid trip or near-death experience. Nothing about the character of the planes (barring the elemental demiplanes - woo, the plane of dust! let me get my camera!) was intrinsic to their being hooked up to some giant, utterly arbitrary wheel metaphor.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To be honest the physical side (Wheel etc) of the Cosmology made it all a lot less impressive than it otherwise would be.

Over the years the codification of the D&D cosmology has made it less and less cool to me. I don't even like that Orcus etc have stats now. Deities and Demigods, despite being an awesome read, was a bad step, I feel.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For me, it's not what they've removed implicitly from the default cosmology or bestiary or such and such (I don't even read a whole lot about it), it's that the new stuff they have come up with is too derivative and contemporary in style for my tastes. I don't really like reading through it, it is like eating recycled paste; I take more enjoyment picturing what it used to be made out of or what food I could put in it once I finish and rinse out the jar.

I need something more original, or simply have more direct influence and verisimilitude when I sit down to plan an adventure, and 'shadowdark' and 'sorrowsworn' and 'fellbound' really makes me think about how little I'd be missing with just the compendium and my own flavor text. I like to buy books whose lead concept artist knows something about folklore, the middle ages, armor, or even beards to some firsthand degree, so some text-only physical copies would be nice.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »

Which is a much better name than 'Feywild'. 'The Feywild' just feels clunky and unevocative to me.

And I'm all about the evocation.

Huh, odd, I actually really like "Feywild."

Professor Phobos on
    edited April 2009
    'Feywild' isn't so bad. Not very slick but it provides an accurate image. It looks better when not next to a bunch of similarly-constructed words.

I'll just be calling them all the outer realms unless I run something Paragon or Epic. Whether it's a creature that's fey or shadow or elemental or is a box with a face and legs, it's not from this realm so there's not a lot of point in explaining to the average adventurer how they mesh up. He'll just have to ask the locals what they call their place when he gets there and accept that they only name their country or region.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited April 2009
    Arkan150 (10:32:59 PM): ((Scorching burst on the orc.))
    Arkan150 (10:33:04 PM): ((Damned if I know.))
    Marco Polaris (10:33:04 PM): Roll'it.
    Arkan150 (10:33:09 PM): //rolldice-sides20-dice1
    OnlineHost (10:33:09 PM): Arkan150 rolled 1 20-sided die: 19
    Arkan150 (10:33:13 PM): Probably a hit.
    Marco Polaris (10:33:17 PM): Maybe.
    Arkan150 (10:33:22 PM): //rolldice-sides6-dice1
    OnlineHost (10:33:23 PM): Arkan150 rolled 1 6-sided die: 1
    Arkan150 (10:33:24 PM): ...
    Arkan150 (10:33:40 PM): 6.
    Marco Polaris (10:33:45 PM): Actually, I was about to say, the damage die for scorching burst is going to be house-ruled at d8 for now.
    Arkan150 (10:33:52 PM): Is it?
    Marco Polaris (10:33:59 PM): Since wizards are weak as controllers for the moment compared to the newer classes.
    Arkan150 (10:34:06 PM): Oh, awesome.
    Arkan150 (10:34:09 PM): Can I reroll that?
    Marco Polaris (10:34:13 PM): Okay.
    Arkan150 (10:34:18 PM): //rolldice-sides8-dice1
    OnlineHost (10:34:18 PM): Arkan150 rolled 1 8-sided die: 1
    Arkan150 (10:34:22 PM): FGSFDS
    Marco Polaris (10:34:22 PM): *GUFFAW*

Arkan on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For me, it's not what they've removed implicitly from the default cosmology or bestiary or such and such (I don't even read a whole lot about it), it's that the new stuff they have come up with is too derivative and contemporary in style for my tastes. I don't really like reading through it, it is like eating recycled paste; I take more enjoyment picturing what it used to be made out of or what food I could put in it once I finish and rinse out the jar.

I need something more original, or simply have more direct influence and verisimilitude when I sit down to plan an adventure, and 'shadowdark' and 'sorrowsworn' and 'fellbound' really makes me think about how little I'd be missing with just the compendium and my own flavor text. I like to buy books whose lead concept artist knows something about folklore, the middle ages, armor, or even beards to some firsthand degree, so some text-only physical copies would be nice.

As a counterpoint to this, I am a really big fan of the new setting. The fact that they finally cut 30 year old, and sometimes even 50 year old tropes that weren't around because they were fun, but merely because they were traditional has been one of the most refreshing things of this edition, especially when it comes to FR. Things like getting rid of the multiple types of celestials, and yugoloths just so they could have all the various goods and evils covered. If I ever see a gem dragon it'll be too soon. I couldn't possibly be happier that they finally split everybody's favorite god race, Elves, into 2 somewhat reasonable races. Also, all the races age limits are finally reasonable!

I chalk it up to that while I grew up on Tolkien, Moorcock, Lovecraft and more contemporary authors like Jordan (until he jumped the shark around book 7 anyway), my true fantasy love these days are video games and anime. Also that I don't give a shit about the simulation aspect. I'm all about the mechanics and the rule of cool. Like if somebody wandered up to me and wanted to play that transformer Warforged druid that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I would be all for that. Because it is awesome.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited April 2009
    [snip]

:lol: It sounds like your dice have the same disease as mine.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had an idea for a villain of some kind for my campaign. It's just based around a single line I want him to say to the party during the climax: "And now to betray you during your moment of triumph." I imagine this will be something of a chessmaster character, probably helping the group along with some task for his own sinister purposes.

Has anyone else designed a villain, or even an entire campaign, around a single line of dialogue?

Terrendos on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I had an idea for a villain of some kind for my campaign. It's just based around a single line I want him to say to the party during the climax: "And now to betray you during your moment of triumph." I imagine this will be something of a chessmaster character, probably helping the group along with some task for his own sinister purposes.

Has anyone else designed a villain, or even an entire campaign, around a single line of dialogue?
    event or choice, yes. single line? nope.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not around a line of dialogue, but on the whole betrayal action i had an idea for a campaign that has the characters find themselves being hired by a guy to take out a "cult" only to find that when they kill them all that they were magically containing a small black hole that is now free to consume the planet.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Started a 4e game with some of my buddies. Went pretty well, just did part of the first Dungeon Delve. I like it. And hopefully I can play on the PbP game too. Woo 4e.

SniperGuy on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I designed an adventure around a single line of dialogue!
    At the end of If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?, an episode of Batman: The Animated Series, the Riddler says to Batman over his big telescreen thing, "By the time you're out of the city...I'll be out of the country." and it zooms out to show that he's been on a plane the whole time.

My plan for the adventure was to have the PCs distracted with a sudden power loss on the Argonth (a huge flying fortress used by the country of Breland in Eberron), and to send them down into the depths to defeat some nasties that had taken up residence in the lower workings of the vessel. They'd get to the end, having found another one of the baubles they needed for the quest, and encounter their NPC inquisitive friend--who would take the bauble from them and then it'd disappear.

Group: WTF?

At this point, the inquisitive would reveal his big plan--perfect crime, kill tons of people, rule the world, etc. I calculated that someone would try to grab him--and then it'd be revealed that he'd been an illusion all along...and the real guy was on an airship high above them that was already starting to slowly turn away and head beyond the borders of Breland (where the Argonth couldn't go).

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Though for one campaign I called it the "Eternal Seasons" that was divided into four kingdoms that were characterized by always being in a single season.

I don't think you need to keep searching; this is pretty awesome.

piL on
    edited April 2009
    I definitely agree about splitting up 'wild' elves and 'high' elves, but man there's a lot of potential in those Yugoloths, if they had been given some more distinctive names. It's a nice blur between an orderly hell of devils and chaotic demon wastes.

I grew up on a lot of anime and modern fantasy and other cultural slurpee mixes; nowadays I'm tired of seeing the same exact situations and matchups done over and over and want something with its own legs.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
    edited April 2009
    Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guys, witchaloks are gonna be super OP. I just preordered Bunnies and Burrows 4E.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.