As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heathly Lungs

budecbudec Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
i smoked for 10 plus years and it left me with lungs like that of a 11 year old asthmatic girl.

I've been running a lot (and doing tons of cardio), taking Vitim D (and getting much sun light as I can) and drinking lots of water - is there anything else I can do to help repair the damage I've done and make my lungs stronger and healthier?

ninjasig.jpg
budec on

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm pretty sure the tar build up is permanent, but if you keep excercisizing you may be able to get back up to a decent athletic status.

Obs on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How long ago did you quit smoking?

It takes your lungs quite some time to recover from that kind of damage.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think you are on the right track to lung recovery. Just make sure you never relapse back to smoking. Your lungs can recover (although maybe not to 100%) and your risk of lung cancer will decrease a lot as well.

Basically just maintain a healthy lifestyle and your lungs should take care of themselves. This process will take years, so you have to stick to it.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I reccomend eating healthy, taking a multi vitamin, working on your posture and learning to breathe deep into the belly with the diaphram fully expanding.

http://www.mercola.com/1998/archive/low_fat_diets.htm Perhaps research the vitamins/minerals he mentions for studies on that.

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Theoretically at least, if you're eating healthily, you really shouldn't need a multi-vitamin. Or any vitamin supplement at all. If you do decide to keep up with the supplements though, be careful; too much of certain vitamins can have particularly nasty side-effects, such as your liver exploding and killing you in the case of vitamin A...

As for the rest; you seem to be dong all right so far, just keep it up and you'll be as good as almost new in no time. The tar and other gunk that got into your lungs is there to stay though, barring nanotech surgery....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for info.

I try to eat lots of fruits, vegetables. I'm eating tomatoes alot (and also the juice/sauce of em) that is supose to help, also doing oranges, blueberries, broccoli, apples, carrots and all that stuff.

I also take a multi-vitamin 2 types of fish/omega-3 oil, flax oil, D+Calcium, C, B12 and B complex. (also take goldseal and another herb for immune system).

I only take the vitamins once a day, so hopefully that won't kill my liver? I never heard that. I take them with a big meal. Is this bad stuff for me?

I'm eating good - I should be getting all I need with fruits/vegetables, but take them to make sure I'm not missing anything.

From here: http://www.mercola.com/1998/archive/low_fat_diets.htm
    selenium and beta carotene

What is selenium and beta carotene?

Also tar build up is "permanent" in my lungs? Won't I eventually cough all that stuff up if I push enough air though my lungs (via cardio workouts)?

Would taking pure oxygen help clear that junk out?

EDIT: I've smoked for about 16 years, about 4 of those I was smoking "off and on" (quite about 3-6 months at a time).
    I'm serious about quiting this time.

EDIT2: I love thee oh wiki! For shame it be to hide my love for thee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotene

Selenium is a metal and toxic.. is that the right thing? Are you sure I should be nawing on hunk of metal? If I eat organic fruits/vegetables I should be getting a good Selenium intake, right?

EDIT3:

fucking ouch:
    Beta-carotene and cancer

It has been shown in trials that the use of synthetically-produced beta carotene (that is, beta carotene in supplement form such as the pills typically sold in stores) increases the rate of lung cancer and prostate cancer, and increases mortality in smokers. These results have been observed in beta carotene supplements and not in foods with naturally occurring beta carotene.[2]

An article on the American Cancer Society says that The Cancer Research Campaign has called for warning labels on beta carotene supplements to caution smokers that such supplements may increase the risk of lung cancer.[3]

that stuff is pretty nasty.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really doubt someone is going to overdose on vitamins/minerals unless they do not follow the directions on the bottle. Vitamin A overdose is possible but only if you once again do not follow the directions on the bottle or eat polar bear liver.

A multi-vitamin is a good way to ensure your getting certain vitamins you may not be getting throughout the day because even with a healthy diet you can not be getting enough of something. Its just insurance.

If you want to boost your immune system try taking 50mg zinc a day.

Cut the flax oil and only take fish oil, buy it in the liquid form and take a table spoonful(15ml) a day which is equal to 15 capsules. You can divide the dosage using teaspoons(5ml) and even take more than that if you wish to(up to 45ml I hear).

Selenium is metal but your body needs it in small doses like magnesium, copper, iron, ect.

Cut the goldenseal unless you have an infection/cold. Taking it for prolonged periods will cut its effectiveness. They sell this stuff in Canada(hopefully elsewhere) by the name of Deep immune combo. My doctor has reccomended it to me a few times in the past when my immune system has been down. She usually reccomends I take it for 2 week periods(3 times a day), you may want to try the same.
    http://stfrancisherbfarm.com/product.aspx?ID=2

Get the beta-carotene from veggies like peppers, spinach, lettuce and carrots.

I say keep up with lots of oranges and apples, they've been known to improve lung function thanks to there bioflavoids.

http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/history/00-01-25/l04-1appl.html

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    GinzueGinzue Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sort of going off this thread, I have a question to ask aswell, I smoked for half a year and quit as of yesterday, how long will the withdrawls last and how long will it take for me to be back to non-smoker health, I smoked anywhere from 2 to 15 a day? Also, is takeing creatine for weight training a no no ? Thanks, and I intend not to derail.

Best of luck to you btw!

Ginzue on
    Ginzue!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ginzue wrote: »
    Sort of going off this thread, I have a question to ask aswell, I smoked for half a year and quit as of yesterday, how long will the withdrawls last

Deeps on how you quite... for cold turkey the withdrawls with be worst till about 48-72 hours then it lets up... after you hit 3 days the worst is over...after about a week it'll be smooth coasting and 3 weeks almost no withdrawls and cravings.

I've quite many times and the "eye of the storm" runs till about 2-3 days... seriously, just hold on till day 3 and it'll let up - but till then I ain't going to lie, it's sear burning hell till it "breaks" on/around second or third day.

btw, a good way to help recover faster is lots of orange juice and oranges. It's suppose to help "flush" the drug out of your system (plus other toxins), it makes the hellish part worse, a lot worse - BUT makes the recovery of it a lot faster and doesn't last as long. It's better to just "bite the bullet" and get the tough stuff out of the way up front for sake of it ending quicker.

and how long will it take for me to be back to non-smoker health, I smoked anywhere from 2 to 15 a day?

Check this site out... has some good info on the "recovery" rate:

http://www.quit.com/keepingwithit_essentials.aspx?id=56
    Also, is takeing creatine for weight training a no no ? Thanks, and I intend not to derail.
    Best of luck to you btw!

no idea.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    budec wrote: »
    Thanks for info.

I try to eat lots of fruits, vegetables. I'm eating tomatoes a lot (and also the juice/sauce of em) that is supposed to help, also doing oranges, blueberries, broccoli, apples, carrots and all that stuff.

I also take a multi-vitamin 2 types of fish/omega-3 oil, flax oil, D+Calcium, C, B12 and B complex. (also take goldseal and another herb for immune system).

I only take the vitamins once a day, so hopefully that won't kill my liver? I never heard that. I take them with a big meal. Is this bad stuff for me?

I'm eating good - I should be getting all I need with fruits/vegetables, but take them to make sure I'm not missing anything.

From here: http://www.mercola.com/1998/archive/low_fat_diets.htm
    selenium and beta carotene
    What is selenium and beta carotene?
    Also tar build up is "permanent" in my lungs? Won't I eventually cough all that stuff up if I push enough air though my lungs (via cardio workouts)?
    Would taking pure oxygen help clear that junk out?
    EDIT: I've smoked for about 16 years, about 4 of those I was smoking "off and on" (quite about 3-6 months at a time).
    I'm serious about quitting this time.
    EDIT2: I love thee oh wiki! For shame it be to hide my love for thee:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotene
    Selenium is a metal and toxic.. is that the right thing? Are you sure I should be gnawing on hunk of metal? If I eat organic fruits/vegetables I should be getting a good Selenium intake, right?
    EDIT3:
    fucking ouch:
    Beta-carotene and cancer
    It has been shown in trials that the use of synthetically-produced beta carotene (that is, beta carotene in supplement form such as the pills typically sold in stores) increases the rate of lung cancer and prostate cancer, and increases mortality in smokers. These results have been observed in beta carotene supplements and not in foods with naturally occurring beta carotene.[2]
    An article on the American Cancer Society says that The Cancer Research Campaign has called for warning labels on beta carotene supplements to caution smokers that such supplements may increase the risk of lung cancer.[3]
    that stuff is pretty nasty.
    This is what I mean about being careful with the supplements. The primary problem isn't actually failing to read the instructions, it is following the instructions on too many different supplements; many of these multi-vitamin things overlap in their coverage and taking several can lead to unexpected side effects.

As for the toxicity of Selenium and carotene supplements; sure selenium is toxic in large amounts, just like water. OTOH, it is a vital accessory component to several enzymes without which you couldn't function. You should be getting more than enough in your diet if you are eating fruit and vegetables though, as you hardly need any (there might be as much as a tenth of a gram of the stuff in a healthy adult human).

The carotene supplements are probably toxic because they are made by relatively crude brute-force synthesis, which is non selective, so the supplement will have all sorts of carotenes in it - alpha, beta, gamma etc. All of which are isomers of the same molecule, but only one of which is useful to people. The extras only serve to gum up the works, more or less literally.
    Your best bet for getting beta-carotene (the one you want) is carrots, red peppers and so on.

As for the tar, yes it pretty much is permanent barring surgery and no-one sane would even attempt such a procedure. The thing is, it's tar; it's the resinous residue of the tobacco sap, plus a few other things; this isn't a biological problem, it's a sticky-goo-blocking-the-passageways problem. What happens is that the oxidation residue of the plant fibres in the cigarette liquefies and evaporates as the cigarette is burnt, then condenses out in your lungs, which are much cooler than the cigarette. The only other way to get it out would be to re-evaporate it, but I don't think you ever want your lungs to get that hot...

Finally, your body will tell you when you are missing important trace elements; white spots under the nails for zinc deficiency, that sort of thing. taking supplements you don't really need is a horrible waste of money and, worse, can be habit-forming, ironically enough...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does tar not collect as phlegm and eventually get spit up though?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Does tar not collect as phlegm and eventually get spit up though?

We can only hope AL_Wat. We can only hope.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Thanks for info.
    Finally, your body will tell you when you are missing important trace elements; white spots under the nails for zinc deficiency, that sort of thing. taking supplements you don't really need is a horrible waste of money and, worse, can be habit-forming, ironically enough...

What does it mean if I have bags under my eyes ?!

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Thanks for info.

What does it mean if I have bags under my eyes ?!

Stress, lack of sleep, lack of quality sleep, or any combination thereof.

Shogun on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    As for the tar, yes it pretty much is permanent barring surgery and no-one sane would even attempt such a procedure.

No, it isn't. It is gradually eliminated from the body, but it takes a long time (10+ years). Not the same thing as permanent.

PS Though I don't want to provoke a lynching by the anti-smoking mob, 'healthy lungs' do not simply = 'not smoking'. I have very high lung function on tests (from growing up swimming, diving & singing, and being pretty fit) even though I smoked seriously for 4 years and still smoke about 10 a week. Nonetheless, I could beat most non-smokers on every lung function test. I've also met Peruvian porters who weekly run up mountains several thousand meters high carrying 20+ kilograms on their back, but light up like a christmas tree at every opportunity if you have the smokes.

Of course, the chemicals etc will still mess you up, and smoking won't help lung function, but it's surmountable.

Fawkes on