As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Units in WW2

SamSam Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
You never see anything about the segregated units in world war 2. I've been trying to find some info, but to no avail.
I was hoping someone here was knowledgable on the subject and that it was worthy of a thread.

Sam on

• Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Obligatory wikipedia article. Other than that I know little on the subject - I am neither black, nor a soldier, nor American.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Starting a thread before researching a topic at all is generally a poor course of action. We're not your personal search engine.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There´s a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen, an all black Fighter squadron in WWII.
    Linky

I know of no other stories, though. :(

Haphazard on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Its not exactly a hidden topic though. Even crap movies like GI Jane and Pearl Harbour brought up the restrictions black soldiers operated under, from the common belief that they had no night vision to the one that they were "too emotional" to serve in close combat.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When the U.S. army was desegregated in the 1950's, the main concern was about morale - pretty much the same issue as letting homosexuals serve today.

Of course, the other western powers in the Second World War had black troops from their African colonies (and the British Indian and Nepalese units). But I don't know what kind of segregation policy was pursued (if any), because a regiment raised in Cameroon would obviously consist of black troops - though under white officers.

Actually, a French director is making a film right now about the experiences of North African soldiers in the Second World War.

Anyway, while reading stuff for another thread, I came across this interesting quote on the attitude of U.S. military planners towards black soldiers (in the British army):
    The planners anticipated a war "of long duration" because "the RED [code word used for the British] race" is "more or less phlegmatic" but "noted for its ability to fight to a finish." Also, the Brits could be reinforced by "colored" troops from their colonies: "Some of the colored races however come of good fighting stock, and, under white leadership, can be made into very efficient troops."

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    When the U.S. army was desegregated in the 1950's, the main concern was about morale - pretty much the same issue as letting homosexuals serve today.

Of course, the other western powers in the Second World War had black troops from their African colonies (and the British Indian and Nepalese units). But I don't know what kind of segregation policy was pursued (if any), because a regiment raised in Cameroon would obviously consist of black troops - though under white officers.

Actually, a French director is making a film right now about the experiences of North African soldiers in the Second World War.

Anyway, while reading stuff for another thread, I came across this interesting quote on the attitude of U.S. military planners towards black soldiers (in the British army):
    The planners anticipated a war "of long duration" because "the RED [code word used for the British] race" is "more or less phlegmatic" but "noted for its ability to fight to a finish." Also, the Brits could be reinforced by "colored" troops from their colonies: "Some of the colored races however come of good fighting stock, and, under white leadership, can be made into very efficient troops."

Europeans considered the Sudanese from around the headwaters of the Nile to be particularly excellent soldiers, and often exported them as colonial military forces to other African colonies. They were loyal because the people of the country hated them, so they depended on their European masters for everything.

Idi Amin was one of these.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Europeans considered the Sudanese from around the headwaters of the Nile to be particularly excellent soldiers, and often exported them as colonial military forces to other African colonies. They were loyal because the people of the country hated them, so they depended on their European masters for everything.

Idi Amin was one of these.
    The British especially had a notion of "martial races" that made good soldiers, and groups that supposedly didn't.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    There´s a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen, an all black Fighter squadron in WWII.
    Linky

I know of no other stories, though. :(

One of my best friend's grandfather was Tuskegee Airman. He is a really interesting guy to talk to.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You might want to read The Good War by Studs Terkel if you haven't already. He interviewed a few of those guys and it's pretty interesting.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AriochArioch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you're interested in racially segregated units other than those of African Americans, take a look at the 442 Regimental Combat Team of second-generation Japanese Americans who served in Europe during WWII. They're known as the "Purple Heart Regiment" because they sustained something like a 93% casualty rate and are still the most heavily decorated unit of that size in United States history. And they did it all while their families were held in internment camps and returned after the war to segregation about as bad as that faced by African Americans.

Arioch on