As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stuff i should put on my new laptop

MeisterMeister Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you had any tips on how to set up a new laptop to be safe from spyware/malware/etc. I've been going off of
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525
for now, and I have Comodo Firewall, Antivirus, and BOClean, but I was wondering if all this stuff is really necessary. Should I really get SpywareBlaster and Spybot-S&D? What added functionality do these two provide. It seems like way too many anti-spyware programs, but at the same time, I want to make my computer safe.

What do you guys think?

edit: Oh, and on an unrelated topic, what are some good sites for nice, high resolution backgrounds?

Also, I need a music player for Vista for my laptop. Can you guys recommend any good players that support lossless and have good compatibility with japanese encodings?

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
Meister on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Immunizing my new laptop

Install Linux.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if you had any tips on how to set up a new laptop to be safe from spyware/malware/etc. I've been going off of
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525
    for now, and I have Comodo Firewall, Antivirus, and BOClean, but I was wondering if all this stuff is really necessary. Should I really get SpywareBlaster and Spybot-S&D? What added functionality do these two provide. It seems like way too many anti-spyware programs, but at the same time, I want to make my computer safe.

What do you guys think?

edit: Oh, and on an unrelated topic, what are some good sites for nice, high resolution backgrounds?

I use apple so best I can reommend is Avast for Antivirus spyware well I never really have issue since I really make sure I don't go into bad sites..

As for wallpaper interfacelift.com has really good collection of wallpaper youll love

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For wallpaper, wikipedia's old featured images can be a good place if you're willing to look through them.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All your backgrounds are here (I love this site SO much) and I would suggest getting Malwarebyte's Anti-malware. That is a pretty reliable program.

That will get you started!

Endomatic on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Immunizing my new laptop

Install Linux.

Pretty much. Failing that, disable the network drivers. Failing that, I've had AVG and COMODO for awhile, probably a few years (ever since I got sick of Zone Alarm and saw that Spybot was failing a lot of people I knew).

More important than software is common sense browsing habits.

TL DR on
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What about some more abstract/artistic backgrounds. InterfaceLIFT seems to be mostly photography, which is cool too, but I like to have some variety in my backgrounds.

edit: Changed the title since I added a question about music player too.

Meister on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use deviantart to get material for wallpapers.
    And another vote for Linux, Ubuntu is stupid easy to use.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome, deviantart has amazing wallpapers? I feel bad having such a cool wallpaper and such a boring, default theme, though. Where can I get themes/customizations for windows so that it looks as cool as I've seen in people's desktop screenshots.

Meister on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DeviantArt has a lot of those too

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Protect yourself from potential identity theft from stolen laptop as well. Encrypt your machine.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.