As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Forumer LAN Party! April 25-26th

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in PAX Archive
(to start this off, this is not related to Penny Arcade, PAX, or PAX BYOC in any way, other than this Lan is for you guys, ran by me, to break the wait inbetween PAX'es :P)

So after Last PAX when everyone was checking out of BYOC. Spectre was talking to me and he was intrested in doing a LAN party sometime for the forumers. The problem was He had no Idea how to do such an event, none of the equipment, Or the means to do so (other than providing the venue).
*Cue superhero music*
BIGRED TO THE RESCUE
I have all of the above, minus an available venue to hold it.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

So here we go :D
(excuse my standard cut/paste descriptions for LANs that I do)

WHAT?:

a LAN party! Everyone brings their computers to one place, hooks them up, networks them, and play games and shares files for a few days.
If you play PC games but have never been to a LAN before I sugguest you try it at least once. Its fun being able to yell obscenities across teh room to the asshat who just killed you

WHEN:

Start
Saturday April 25th @ 10am

GAME OVER
sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY! April 26th @ Whenever people leave, probably around 5 or 6.

WHERE:

14605 NE 30th PL
(In the community Cabana room @ Spectre's condo complex)
Bellevue, WA 98007

http://tinyurl.com/PAXForumerLAN

WHO:

30 people (you guys!)

COST:

$20 for the weekend

This covers the table/chair rental we had to get, Internet, and food/drink for the weekend.

FOOD AND DRINK IS PROVIDED

Also this is not for any kind of profit, few LAN parties are (likely ill be paying some out of pocket for this, but oh well).
If by some small miracle I come out ahead (due to food being on sale or somesuch), that money will go to childs play :)

SIGNUP:

Just post in this thread saying you are going :)
This is on a first come first serve basis. To hold your spot you will have to PREPAY.

Just post with your intentions on going and I will PM you my paypal info so you can prepay for the event.

WHOS GOING?

4/30

GREEN = PAID
RED = Un-Paid = Shunnnn

BigRed
spectre
Sweety
Googalash

Jaiden
MeeOk
Minja
Oz K. Fodrotski

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Before I get to the FAQ I am going to post a request and then a requirement.

Please try to get games installed before the LAN. you dont want to be spending the first few hours installing everything while everyone else is playing.
    If you dont have them then dont worry, ill have extra legit copies of most every game on hand.

Along with that please make sure games are patched to the most recent patch.

REQUIREMENT IS TO MAK SURE YOUR COMPUTER IS VIRUS FREE BEFORE THE LAN! RUN A VIRUS SCAN THE WEEK OF THE LAN! We dont wnat your computers aids kthx.

Q: What do I need?
    A: Yourself, a gaming capable PC, Lan entry

To go along this, heres what you need to bring with.

PC case
    Monitor
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Cat5 network cable (25ft)
    SURGE PROTECTOR
    Power cables
    Monitor cables
    Headphones (no speakers)

Q: What games will be played
    A: Uh.. name it? :P I forsee a bunch of TF2, PVK2 (http://www.pvkii.com), L4D, Crysis wars (the multiplayer is a blast), UT3/UT2k4, COD4/5, Flatout2, Sins of a solar empire, Supreme Commander, Warcraft3 (dota anyone?), Red alert 3, Hello kitty adventure island, and barbie horse adventures!.
    Yeah the last 2 were a joke.... maybe
    If you want to play a game, im sure you can find someone else there that will want to do it. This is just what I could list off the top of my head.

Q: Can I play *INSERT MMO HERE*?
    A: No. We will have limited internets, but it will just be enough for web browsing. I will Lock out most ports to keep it to that. Plus the point of a LAN like this isnt to go to it to sit online and play an MMO by yourself :P

Q: Im scared! Ive never done this before...
    A: Its okay. Everyone starts somewhere. If you have never been to a LAN Party before this will be a good way to break you in :P Espically if you wanted to go to the BYOC room at PAX.

Q: My computer sucks. Can I still go?
    A: Im making fun of someone here <3 I know this guy... His PC is a 3ghz P4, 1gb of ram, and a 6600gt. He can barley play most games (they still run though). He still goes :P As long as your computer is better than that then the answer is YES.

Q: What are the minimum PC requirements?
    A: Hey if it plays TF2 you can play most anything else on that list. (Yes, even crysis. The game scales really well). So heres a rough list

Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    1GB of ram or moar
    Any recent-ish Pentium4 or better
    Nvidia 6800/ATI 9800pro or better (god please have better :P) videoard would be good.
    LOTS OF FREE HDD SPACE! (some of these games take up 20gb plus to install)

Id call that the bare minimum to at least play TF2. If you have a better PC you will have a better time playing games.

Q: Is it 24h?
    A: Fuckyeah seaking! Short naps are allowed, but if you are going to get a full nights sleep Id sugguest you just leave and come back.

BigRed on
  • Options
    JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm going.

Just put it on my tab so you can get money out of me when I least expect it.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Provided I'm still not epically broke in the next couple weeks like I am now, then I will have to attend this. Two LANs and a convention in one month is pretty awesome. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hear BigRed's lan is falling on the same weekend as an epic poker/taco night....

Azazel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Azazel wrote: »
    I hear BigRed's lan is falling on the same weekend as an epic poker/taco night....

Too bad this was planed out before, and been in the topic on irc for the past 2 weeks :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Will be there.

Googalash on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If my wife and I can find somebody to take our not-quite-two-year-old for the weekend we will sign up I'm fairly sure.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure how many people would be able to run it well enough, but how about some GTA IV? I got a small group of people playing it at my last LAN and it turned out to be really entertaining. CoD4, RA3, and Flatout 2 are enough for me though. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also to please Azazel, we will have a taco bar on saturday night for dinner :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Even though i probably wont be there :-P

Azazel on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ooh, me!

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, since it was mentioned to me.. I do have both my PC and a laptop that have not sucky specs. My PC I built to game on last year, and just got my laptop this month. So if you're really nice, maybe somebody can borrow my laptop.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Would it be crazy if I drove from norcal? LAN would be fun but it would also be cool to meet some of you before PAX. I'll get back to you soon. *Goes to check classes and work sched*

Cerrato0426 on
  • Options
    MinjaMinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmm...I suppose I can make an appearance ;D Just gotta get the time off from work. I will be on the Dota train all night long, babe, rockin with drow!

Minja on
    katamaribanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can you still play local games with *coughhackcough* copies of WC3?

Azazel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    you cant talk about that on the forums....

BigRed on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I was still living in Oregon I'd ask about borrowing the PC again and going to go kick some ass...

But Arkansas is a ways away... so that's out of the question...

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man.

I have D&D that night.

Choices.

Houn on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Man.

I have D&D that night.

Choices.

best haiku ever.

As for me, I'm workin on it! I might be able to make it, but I have "schedule conflicts" that weekend.
    In the meantime, start listing games you all want to play! So I know what I should have installed. TF2 and Left 4 Dead are obvious choices... what else!?

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Would it be crazy if I drove from norcal? LAN would be fun but it would also be cool to meet some of you before PAX. I'll get back to you soon. *Goes to check classes and work sched*

Yes it would be crazy :P but hey if you can swing the finances and such then go for it. All of us are crazy anyway

BigRed on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am on board. Fuck yeah Seaking.

Edit: I may need a ride, though.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I may be in if I can get a way up. I am working on it :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It is silly that this is not receiving more attention / reply.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It is silly that this is not receiving more attention / reply.

No kidding...

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just found out my store is doing it's PI that weekend, and there's no way for me to get out of it... *sigh*

It is on Sunday night though, so after I see my schedule & finances I'll know for sure...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    In the meantime, start listing games you all want to play! So I know what I should have installed. TF2 and Left 4 Dead are obvious choices... what else!?

My friend and I are assembling a handy all-in-one patch/map/model/mod pack for UT Classic, it would be fun to play some of that.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fucking hell, Red... two weeks ago, InfernaLAN. This past weekend, a LAN with people I used to work with (CIRCUIT CITY HOOOOOOO!). On the 18th, BLE. I CAN'T DO FOUR LANS IN A SINGLE GODDAMNED MONTH.

:(

babelfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    babelfish wrote: »
    Fucking hell, Red... two weeks ago, InfernaLAN. This past weekend, a LAN with people I used to work with (CIRCUIT CITY HOOOOOOO!). On the 18th, BLE. I CAN'T DO FOUR LANS IN A SINGLE GODDAMNED MONTH.

:(

or you could skip ble and do this one :P

Why not 4 lans in a month? I do it all the time.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Poking this to the top to make sure it gets seen.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    HicksHicks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LAME LIKE MOE

Hicks on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    What the hell?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hicks wrote: »
    LAME LIKE MOE

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    What the hell?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Unless something like six more people RSVP, this is died, if I understand correctly. :(

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    moar people need to signup

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    moar people need to signup

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Uh, you guys need to be looking for 7 more people, actually. I won't be attending..

MeeOk on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    With the low number of people on the list, you could probably host the damn thing on steam. That would be beside the point but still. :P

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Doesn't look like I will be able to attend either. Maybe with earlier notice, I could request the time off. Not to mention I'm broke, and probably loosing my truck because of it...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Looks like due to lack of intrest in this we are going to have to cancel :-/ you people disapoint me :P

I might try this again sometime after PAX. Ill shoot for owning all the tables/chairs so I can throw something like this no matter how many people signed up.

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.