As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

420 smoke [DOODLE] erryday

1252627282931»

• LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yo, need all the advice I can get on this, before I get tired of looking at it, preferably.
    Uriel-VS-Belial-1.jpg

Lalilulelo on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »
    thats right, gotta worry about all that ground scanning rader, which totally doesnt work. Radar stealth technology is only valid in the air, and to a lesser extent, the sea. Where radar doesn't get scattered by terrain.

I'd crit the design of the thing if you want, but im lazy, and it is just a doodle.

Bah, I knew you'd show up! It was an IDW (industrial design of the week) over at CA and I thought it'd be fun. Damn your deep military equipment knowledge!

It could be optical stealth (cloaking device) that's just not enabled! Nobody said it was radar stealth :P

bombardier on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »
    thats right, gotta worry about all that ground scanning rader, which totally doesnt work. Radar stealth technology is only valid in the air, and to a lesser extent, the sea. Where radar doesn't get scattered by terrain.

I'd crit the design of the thing if you want, but im lazy, and it is just a doodle.

Bah, I knew you'd show up! It was an IDW (industrial design of the week) over at CA and I thought it'd be fun. Damn your deep military equipment knowledge!

It could be optical stealth (cloaking device) that's just not enabled! Nobody said it was radar stealth :P

exactly...look at the NOD ;)

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    28lt7yu.jpg

dewdle

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited April 2009
    k, spent time just going through all the various inking tools in painter...trying to narrow down the ones I can see myself using in the future. the drawings mainly complete, just gotta clean it up, color, and try to not fuck it up while doing so.

Untitled-1sgw3r.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Mr Sgt SirMr Sgt Sir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The helmet looks fantastic.

Not sure why but im thinking that right arm should be adamantimed up.

Mr Sgt Sir on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know... It just looks....undynamic. Her feet look like she's floating, her hair is hiding her body and her legs are hiding whatever's behind her. Should have gone for the hat-trick of laziness and put her hands in her pockets, too.

I have gotten everything from "This is the shittiest piece I have ever seen" to "HOLY FUCK that amazing."

I'll tweak the legs a bit more, but this picture has me really confused on the responses.

and quick assignment for school
    pic107.jpg

wakkawa on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Metal doesn't know what he's talking about, Wakk. The metroid one reads like a fashion portrait and you hit the attitude bang on. Only thing I'd agree with metal about is that the feet look "floaty".

Also this new one is great. I like the texture and greater "real"-ness of it.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Her left hand looks a little wierd, the wrist has come down to far on the top side and the fingers seem too short. Pissy crit I know, but it really stuck out.

Mustang on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wakkawa you're a liar
    who called it shit?

XAL on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I admit, it was me.

NotASenator on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Metal doesn't know what he's talking about, Wakk. The metroid one reads like a fashion portrait and you hit the attitude bang on. Only thing I'd agree with metal about is that the feet look "floaty".

The dude's not going to evaporate if you give him one bad critique. Fucking christ.

Metalbourne on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »

The dude's not going to evaporate if you give him one bad critique. Fucking christ.

yeah no shit

I give him crits when I think he needs them

I just thought the crit you gave him was bullshit

edit: Also, dissolving the AgF in HF worked with the high purity AgF. Apparently, we're going to use some sort of special amine now anyway, but thanks.

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    thing about wak's metroid pic is that while its super tightly rendered, a few things just out as being unnatural looking or straight up awkward. Hair and the feet, but also the legs. The biggest issue is the balance, what with the torso arched the way it is and the added weight of the gun , her legs and hips need to be repositioned to balance the pose accordingly. The hair is off because it falls way too flat, while attention should be payed to the outward curves of her chest behind. That's an easy fix, just darken the lighting a bit in certain areas and no problem.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    thing about wak's metroid pic is that while its super tightly rendered, a few things just out as being unnatural looking or straight up awkward. Hair and the feet, but also the legs. The biggest issue is the balance, what with the torso arched the way it is and the added weight of the gun , her legs and hips need to be repositioned to balance the pose accordingly. The hair is off because it falls way too flat, while attention should be payed to the outward curves of her chest behind. That's an easy fix, just darken the lighting a bit in certain areas and no problem.

Have you ever seen straightened hair? The hair looks natural and is very striking visually. The feet seem to float but I imagine in context itll be fine, aside from that I really disagree with the other criticisms, the body sits perfectly well and is in pretty tight proportion.

Also christ the armour is fantastic looking.

Prohass on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Drawin' broads 101:

assignment : draw young white girl smoking a black and mild

ManonvonSuperock on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Drawin' broads 101:

assignment : draw young white girl smoking a black and mild

Challenge accepted...

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    . The biggest issue is the balance, what with the torso arched the way it is and the added weight of the gun , her legs and hips need to be repositioned to balance the pose accordingly.

I thought that was the point, the rigidity of the armour vs. the bendy grace of her female form. I liked the contrast.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought she was supposed to be floating, heh, then yeah, its the knees that make it seem like she's floating, she's also standing on a bit of wiring thats on the floor, so it doesn't look natural.

No wait, the knees, thats part but not the whole problem. The way she is bending her hip and putting her weight on the right leg, the armor is not following that motion.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pious wrote: »
    I thought she was supposed to be floating, heh, then yeah, its the knees that make it seem like she's floating, she's also standing on a bit of wiring thats on the floor, so it doesn't look natural.

No wait, the knees, thats part but not the whole problem. The way she is bending her hip and putting her weight on the right leg, the armor is not following that motion.

I also thought she was supposed to be floating.

rts on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Untitled-1sgw3r.jpg

Looking cool

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    hey thanks wck, heres a quick colorized update.

Untitled-1sgw3rcopy.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Pious wrote: »

I also thought she was supposed to be floating.

same here. is she not? you can see the entirety of the tops of her feet.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    I always feel like your right on the edge of producing something fantastic Myk and I have for sometime. This proves that you have the chops for it.

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    then the soles of her feet are angled wrong and the wiring needs to cleared from beneath her because if you ask me its screaming that she isn't. I hope she is though, it would look really cool if she's like trying break out of her suit or something and she's proppelled upwards while doing it.

oh and thanks mustang :) I've spent months fidgeting with what works and what doesn't so hopefully i'm heading in the right direction....textures will be kept a minimum this time....i hope.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »
    pic108.jpg

got tired of having to remember what page it was on.

I don't really see a logistics problem with it, the way I read it is she is suspended/floating/etc., feet hanging, and not directly relating/interacting with the background.

EDIT: unrelated to the metroid pic; Myk, are you or have you gotten proper schooling on for art?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    nope.....been teaching myself for about a year and a half now. mind if I ask why? you got me worried :P

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it's because you make cool pictures.
    hey thanks wck, heres a quick colorized update.

Untitled-1sgw3rcopy.jpg

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited April 2009
    I saw your last pic and was thinking of how much you've improved (in some ways) since I've watched you post here (maybe two winters ago?), but then again how many bad habits you still have.

I would really like to see you work outside of your comfort zone. maybe a shitload of still-lifes (not for rendering practice, but for compositional practice), followed by a shitload of figural work in positions where you can not see the face, and then followed with full figural work with faces, and the entire time you go about it, do so without even a hint of the sci-fi/military/fantasy element.

I think if you were to go through all of that, it would break you of some bad habits you have (rendering in grayscale then applying color, treating your faces differently than the rest of your works, the abundance of MGS/Splinter-cell elements, etc.).

If you were to do that and then come back to the stuff you like you to do, all of your work, including the scifi-military stuff would be drastically better.

The reason I asked about you getting your schooling on is that even a half-decent school would force you through all of that. It just seems that you're practicing really fucking hard ultimately to be a one-trick pony.

I know I rag you every couple of months about it, but as dedicated as you are, I think you can go much further faster than the results of the method you've taken over the past year and a half have brought you.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    havnt posted on the forums for about a week, so heres a few doodies i was working on. trying to stick more with traditional methods rather than digital stuff (except uni assignments of course)

sketches done yesterday morning while having a coffee. Yes, i was one of those creepy guys who draws random people minding their own business. BTW that young lady was very hot!

mlt44i.jpg

Some character development studies. Going to be re-designing Solid Snake and Big Boss. Yes they look like rip-offs of the actual characters, but i guess its best to get cliches out of the way first, eh?

108hfrl.jpg

Charlie sheen refed
    2njj6yv.jpg

A doodle for my Idea Generation class. Given three words and have to form an illustration. No meanings implied. The words where Mike Rann, Orange and Shy. So i decided to illustrate the Shy Guys from the mario games, throwing oranges at Mike Rann.

2itijki.jpg

And the dry version of my oil painting from last week

2u60brc.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    Mike Rann, Orange and Shy

Those are horrible words to make art with, and also, I hope somebody said: "That's four words!"

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Mike Rann, Orange and Shy

Those are horrible words to make art with, and also, I hope somebody said: "That's four words!"

Haha. They did actually. I suppose the readon he has chosen weird words are to force us to think more conceptually. In my case, i dont think he was successful :) Oh another three word combo im working on is " John travolta, sensitive and green"
    Whats that? john travolta crying on a green lawn? Sounds very conceptual to me!

winter_combat_knight on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pencil sketch of a friend of mine and the digital touchup
    lucypic.jpg
    lucypic2.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    ANYONE BESIDES MYKONOS AND MULLY MAKE A NEW THREAD.

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.