As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX PC Ideas

13»

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    EDIT: On this subject, I was talking to some Phalla people about setting up a BBS a few months ago... but I couldn't get LoRD in because I couldn't get a hold of anyone at Metropolis (the people who currently own LoRD) to get my registration code. BUT I wouldn't mind shelling out another 15 bucks to get another one, and I have the patches that you need to make LoRD run on a modern system if you wanted one of the attendees to host it. Otherwise, if you guys would rather host it I could snag that stuff anyways and pass it over to you =)

Check out this site:

http://gamesrv.ca/

It's a *bare* bones BBS door emulator, that can run *most* of the ancient games pretty well via hyperterm or other programs. It emulates Fossil drivers and a few other BBS emulations, but it's painful to update, maintain, and configure. It's what I used to run, and I had a 10 or 12 node server at the time. It worked well, but would bog down if I did other stuff on my server.

Synchronet is open source now, which is awesome, and web based I believe. You might want to look into it too.

Aye, I believe I was using Synchronet the last time I tried to run a BBS, the guy that made it is a trooper for sure... he's STILL maintaining, upgrading, and modernizing that software after all these years. I want to give that man a freakin' medal. =)

EDIT: Also, I'd GLADLY be down for a game of Tribes 1 or 2. Admittedly, I never played Tribes 2, I've been meaning to =( But Tribes 1 blew me away. It's probably the only FPS for which I've gone through a stint of genuine addiction, other than Marathon: Infinity.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WE NEED AN ONLIVE SERVER. Quick, someone get to work capturing the necessary unicorn farts to power the magic network latency remover hardware!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    WE NEED AN ONLIVE SERVER. Quick, someone get to work capturing the necessary unicorn farts to power the magic network latency remover hardware!

KillerNIC's?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do those actually work?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, they will actually reduce the cpu load consumed by networking. However, this is such a minuscule load to begin with that it does not justify the cost unless you have no other use for your money.

jonxp on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Yes, they will actually reduce the cpu load consumed by networking. However, this is such a minuscule load to begin with that it does not justify the cost unless you have no other use for your money.

they claim it boosts connection speeds but all the reviews I've seen have been very subjective. I can understand intel wanting more money for a standard nic card with extra needed features, but killer nic? eh...

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to byoc this year at pax. I'm looking forward to it.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think they've ever claimed it boosts the actual speed of your connection, mostly because that's impossible to do for a NIC.
    All it does is reduce any latency on your end caused by processing the data received. Although I don't see it doing too much unless you have a datacentre at home, because the network load for a home gaming PC is generally going to be pretty low.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gods, old BBS games.. I remember those well.. I was on an old mac back then even.. I miss those old BBS games.

Could always try and run a trivia contest (like every hour a new question) on the network for the weekend. Means you just need to check in every hour to answer the question, and are otherwise able to run about and do things (or sit in the room and play games).

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JEDI ACADEMY TOURNAMENT

WITH FORCE POWERS

GODDAMMIT DEEZEE

babelfish on
  • Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    I don't think they've ever claimed it boosts the actual speed of your connection, mostly because that's impossible to do for a NIC.
    All it does is reduce any latency on your end caused by processing the data received. Although I don't see it doing too much unless you have a datacentre at home, because the network load for a home gaming PC is generally going to be pretty low.

I thought the main point of it was that it took some of the network stack work off the CPU and gave it to the NIC instead? Either way, that price for a NIC always seemed silly to me.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Raptor007 wrote: »
    Wormdundee wrote: »

I thought the main point of it was that it took some of the network stack work off the CPU and gave it to the NIC instead? Either way, that price for a NIC always seemed silly to me.

The amount of work current gen cpus does for networking is trivial at best. Offload NICs arent new, they are mostly found in servers where those machines get hundreds of connections at once and are often transfering at 100% during the day. Offload NICs work well in those situations.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've recently gotten really hooked on the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 (realitymod.com). As the name suggests, it's an ultra-realism mod for BF2, and it makes the game way more intense. I love it, and it's got a pretty strong community behind it for a 3rd-party mod.

Are there enough other PAX-ers interested in this mod for there to be a dedicated server up? (If so, it would also be nice to have it installed on the freeplay machines.)

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Jedi Academy tournament idea is intriguing. That was a fun game. I never played it multiplayer, but if they fixed the "duck and strike" unblockable hit problem from Jedi Outcast, I'd definitely be down for it. And the server should run with realistic lightsaber combat on, so that we can have flying severed limbs all over the place. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That sounds interesting Raptor, I'd be willing to play that if I do bring my PC.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2009
    Jedi Academy is an awesome lan game.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JKII is better than JA

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Something with force powers and lightsabers, anyway.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    JKII is better than JA

I enjoyed the JK2 single-player campaign more, but JA seemed to work better for multi-player.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just liked JA for the rocket launcher anyway. Running around, camping out in the shadows, finding jedi masters who were waging epic lightsabre battles, and turning them both to gibs.

Score = Score + 2

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    JKII is better than JA

This.

jonxp on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JKII + JediMod is better than JA

Qualified, then limed.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    heh, sweet...
    well I've got a few ideas:
    1. a PC building contest. Maybe we can get some awsome hardware from some sponsors and then at the end the rigs could be auctioned off for charity?

2. Tetris tourney, 'nuff said. Projectors would make it epic.

3. a bawls relay. Don't know what that is? Just look here.
    it's the bottom video.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tetris thing has been done:

PAX 2006 Omegathon

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Though, that being said SlickShughes, I would love to see a few rounds of:

TetriNET

If anyone was up for it. That's some intense 6-player Tetris action. And free!

EDIT: Suckfest... apparently I'm way behind on the times here. TetriNET 2's server got shutdown and pulled from the internet due to copyright issues. Lame... that was by far the best version of Tetris ever made, on any platform (in my opinion). =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I looooved me some Tetrinet. =/

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »
    That sounds interesting Raptor, I'd be willing to play that if I do bring my PC.

Project Reality definitely takes some getting used to, and it's a big download (1.4GB client + 1.8GB levels). Better get it set up in advance. :mrgreen:

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I recently grabbed the PC version of Blood Bowl, and it's a hoot! I noticed Tycho was pretty happy with it and mentioned it a few articles back, and I was just wondering if there were any plans to do a PAX Cup or something for it during PAX. It shouldn't be that hard to get a small league for the weekend set up.

Valander on
    D.
This discussion has been closed.