As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One day funcom made a class.

They gave it light armor instead of cloth.

They gave it a shield.

They gave it halberds, one handed blunt weapons and swords.

They gave it the best nuke in the game.

They gave it some of the best buffs in the game.

They gave it excellent AoE's.

They gave it healing.

And so, the ToS was born.

Yesterday, a ToS hit me for 4001 damage. I had 4001 hp. Good old ToS.

Mind you, the other casters are just as bad. They can't quite oneshot you, but they can ensure that you die with a few combined combos. Necromancers and demonologists both pump out ridiculous damage.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I never got my ToS beyond level 35-ish, but I recall easily crushing people higher levels than myself. It was really quite absurd. You didn't even need to be creative, just CC and nuke - rinse and repeat. That didn't mean that you weren't one-shotted yourself from time-to-time as well, but still, the game was fuck all easy when you worshipped the snake god.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, so apparently people who own a battlekeep (there are only a handful in the game) and people with PvP level 5 (takes forever for a casual to get to) get up to 40% extra resistance to damage.

I am going to repeat that;

A portion of the playerbase, IE the "hardcore" people who can play for 10hrs a day and are a part of big guilds, now get to be 40% more durable than regular people.

What. The. Fuck.

How
    can Funcom implement something like that in a PvP game? It boggles my fucking mind. This means that a caster with these bonuses will be more durable in all situations than a tank who is not so fortunate to get the magical buffs. The system completely takes a shit over everything PvP related, ensuring that the already awful PvP balance becomes this black hole of horrible , and if you want to win, you better start grinding for months to be able to beat your enemies on a level playingfield.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Ok, so apparently people who own a battlekeep (there are only a handful in the game) and people with PvP level 5 (takes forever for a casual to get to) get up to 40% extra resistance to damage.

I am going to repeat that;

A portion of the playerbase, IE the "hardcore" people who can play for 10hrs a day and are a part of big guilds, now get to be 40% more durable than regular people.

What. The. Fuck.

How
    can Funcom implement something like that in a PvP game? It boggles my fucking mind. This means that a caster with these bonuses will be more durable in all situations than a tank who is not so fortunate to get the magical buffs. The system completely takes a shit over everything PvP related, ensuring that the already awful PvP balance becomes this black hole of horrible , and if you want to win, you better start grinding for months to be able to beat your enemies on a level playingfield.

I did a double-take reading this post.
    Hell, I did two.
    I did a quadruple-take.

Djiem on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    lol. They advertised it as a PvP game from the get-go but it's obvious they never had any idea what they were doing with it. The combo system itself was a horrible abortion of an idea for PvP.

Zek on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Obviously, the designers were sitting around and asked themselves "How can we make sure we don't get too many people subscribing to this game?". Because that's about the only way you can understand some of the decisions they've made.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I wrote this up on another forum, but I guess I should post it here. I guess it is my review of the game as it stands. Keep in mind this is from a PvP perspective. I still find the PvE to be decent (on pve servers).

While I think the previously mentioned gear, pvp invulnerabilities and BattleKeep buffs are atrocious, they're just a symptom of greater problem. The greater problem being that PvP lacks direction of any kind.

When Age of Conan first launched, they didn't have a PvP system. There was no feasible way of competing with other guilds for territory, glory or might other than zerging eachother in Kheshatta. The first thing Funcom decided to do to "fix" the lacking PvP in early AoC was to introduce a gear grind. This shows a fundamental lack of knowledge in how to construct a fair and fun player versus player experience. To this day, the endgame of Age of Conan is entirely gear oriented.

Age of Conan currently lacks all the features that makes a PvP game good.

There is no dynamic gameplay in AoC at all. The PvP, with all (horrible) imbalances aside, is not even fun. It has no meaning, it has no effect. There is no strife, there is no metagame, no politics. It all boils down to "kill random people in the most dull zone of the game, all day, every day, forever".

The most advanced form of PvP they currently have is "battlekeep sieges"; a scheduled event where people fight for a static structure in an entirely isolated instance for the right to get some buffs.

On a more detailed level; PvP is too fast, not tactical at all and crippled by crowd control, a divide between RDPS and MDPS and overpowered classes.

Ah yes. Class imbalance. You could argue that it exists in every MMO created to date, but I have been apart of few MMO's where the balance is as bad as in Age of Conan. Between getting one-shot by a ToS or ground to dust by a Necro, never being able to kill a bear shaman or getting killed before CC wears off by a demonologist, I'd have to say that the balance does not even exist in this game. Just yesterday I was passively killed by a ToS (who was not even facing me) as his passive pulsing AoE kept dealing 2000+ damage to my 5000hp barbarian.

As for the recently mentioned "divide" between melee and casting, well it is pretty horrible. For a game that was boasting about an advanced and unique "melee combat system", it is pretty sad to see the casting system being both easier and more effective to use. Ironically, funcom has somehow turned a game about the age of conan into a game about an abundance of magic users.
    • Casters can still use stamina exclusively for sprinting or blocking, while meleers can't.
    • Casters can still deal more damage than melee, and from range.
    • Casters can still kill meleers before the CC wears off.
    • Casters can still use elevations in terrain (and there is plenty) to kill meleers where the melee can't even touch them.
    • Casters still are not weighed down by the "combo system" like all meleers are.
    • Casters attacks can't be blocked by passive shielding, and are rarely resisted.
    • Casters attacks always hits the target, unless resisted. Meleers have to get close and physically touch someone (and even then, the enemy just has to backstep to avoid most combos) and they can still be parried, blocked or missed.
    • Casters have to stand still for 2-3 seconds while casting a spell. Unfortunately, so does meleers since they have to wait for the (sometimes very long) attack animations to end if they want to deal full damage. That is, if they hit at all.

These issues have been around (and complained about) since launch day, and between the flawed melee/magic system and the many (still) broken feats, one wonders what funcom has been doing this past year. They certainly have not been improving the PvP experience. In fact, they have been introducing a lot of PvE content into the game, which leads me to believe that they no longer consider AoC to be a PvP focused game anymore, despite all their promises during the "hype days" one year ago.

Perhaps I am spoiled by previous PvP MMO's (like planetside, UO and EVE) and just expect too much out of AoC. To be honest, I even had more fun with the PvP in WoW back when I played it all those years ago. At least in WoW, you have some very well designed and varied battlegrounds to have fun in. While Age of Conan has 4 battlegrounds to play in, they're not fun, are very unrewarding and have not been worth playing since launch.

So after all is said and done, what has the recent "updates" to the PvP systems in Age of Conan changed?

Nothing.

If you expect anything other than standing around in Kheshatta, ganking people near spawnpoints or joining a zerg to do the very same thing, you are going to be dissapointed. A year after launch, and nothing has changed. I dare say that things have actually gotten worse.

However; there is a silver lining - as I said above, the PvE content is decent in this game, if you're into that sort of thing. Just be sure to not try it out on a PvP server, as you will be destroyed by gangs of gankers roaming the newbie zones and quest areas.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the PvE content is decent in this game, if you're into that sort of thing

It's nice, but WAR has got me hooked on PvP now. If this game came out while I was still dicking around doing solid PvE with my 60 Swashbuckler on EQII, I might have stuck with this game.

I poked my head back into my old account a few weeks ago and decided to fire up a new character, a stygian ranger to roam the wastes of...Stygia. Then I remembered that Funcom forces you to play single player "chosen one storyline" bullshit for the first 20 levels.

I haven't been back since.

Havelock on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Figured some of you might find this interesting:
    Funcom is proud to announce that ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’ is now available as a free trial.

Funcom, Fileplanet and Ausgamers have teamed up to provide gamers everywhere with the opportunity to download and play ‘Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures’ for free for a period of seven to fourteen days. This is the chance to experience the brutal, savage and sexy world of Conan where you can live, fight and explore in the world of Hyboria together with thousands of people from across the globe.

“The time has finally come for us to open the flood gates,” says Morten Larssen, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Funcom. “There is a world of gamers out there who have never played ‘Age of Conan’ and we want them to experience what hundreds of thousands of gamers have before them. The game has matured tremendously since launch, and we feel confident that this is the time to launch a trial. ‘Age of Conan’ is simply bigger and better than it ever was, and we want both new and previous players alike to experience that!”

All you have to do to start playing ‘Age of Conan’ today is visit the www.ageofconan.com/trial website, download the game and off you go. Funcom has also teamed up with Fileplanet and Ausgamers, and depending on which source you download from you will receive between seven to fourteen days free play time and a host of special rewards. Various websites across the world will also be doing exclusive give-aways where gamers can receive a special key that will unlock rare virtual items in addition to the free trial play time.

Since launching last year, the development team has made significant updates to the game. Too many to list at once, here are a few highlights of what has been done in the past few months:

* NEW CONTENT! Experience countless hours of more content and adventure through new areas such as the expansive Ymir's Pass and the massive Xibaluku dungeon. Embark on new quests, face new challenges and experience entirely revamped dungeons and gameplay!
    * ENHANCED PVP! The world of Conan is now more brutal than ever before. Increase your player vs. player level and reap the exclusive rewards as you slaughter enemy players, but be ready to face the violent consequences should you engage in criminal activities!
    * BETTER SIEGES! The entire siege warfare experience has been improved, making sieges more fun and easier to get into. Warfare between guilds is now even more dramatic with specific resources that must be fought over in order to build and maintain battlekeeps!
    * ENHANCED PERFORMANCE! Major updates have been made to technical stability and performance, allowing for a much smoother gameplay experience across a wider range of computer systems - even with higher levels of graphical detail enabled!
    * ... AND MORE! Many more improvements and additions have been made to Age of Conan since launch. More voice overs, more travel options, a new friend interface, new GUI options, easier access to PvP mini-games, better tradeskills and much, much more!

So yeah free trial which you can get right here.

If nothing else gives some of us who did play the game before a chance to see how it's changed without paying.

Signed up and got a key, had to create a new account but still not too bad, got quite a few things too:
    Snow Mammoth, Bag of Holding, Coloring the Sky, Totem of Origins, Prismatic Starfall, The Enruned Kosalan Ring, Age of Conan

Cade on
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it just me, or does the trailer look like ass?

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    man I'm glad this thread exists because I was considering trying the game again but after reading the last few pages I have no desire to.

Grath on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I may get this trial just to take a female toon's clothes off so I can say I did it.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Grath wrote: »
    man I'm glad this thread exists because I was considering trying the game again but after reading the last few pages I have no desire to.

Yeah, I did the "year hiatus" thing, because it worked for EQII, in that a bunch of stuff that I hated was fixed after a year. I assumed it would be the same with AoC. With AoC, after a year, nothing was fixed, at least nothing that mattered, and Tortage still sucked and wasn't optional.

So, yeah. So much for that.

Thank the gods for WAR. If it weren't for WAR, I'd still be grinding shit in Tenebrous Tangle with my 60 Swash and getting nothing for it.

Havelock on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    jesus, the patches are huge. Downloading a 3gb one as we speak

That should be the only major one you have to pull down.

I had a 2.8 gig patch that came down after installing the game via Steam.

I've been rolling toons on Set personally, mainly due to the fact that I'm pretty much an MMO noob and the prospect of FFA PvP intimidates me at the moment. I'll get in on the action once I'm comfortable with most of the classes and have found one I want to take to the 60-80 range.

Thus far Barbarian and Assassin are my favorites. Haven't tried a priest or caster yet though.

Assassins are by far the most entertaining class to play in this game, considering it uses a semi-realistic stealth system that requires you to stay in the darkness/in foilage, and plot out a course to a target. All of their damage is front-loaded too, so if you pull off a proper attack out of stealth, you can easily kill almost anyone in about two or three hits before they have a chance to heal back up or run away.

Conall Valley is a paradise for stealthers because of all the lush foilage, as a result of that, and makes for some awesome cat and mouse games.

On the issue of PVP being unbalanced in terms of classes, i've got to disagree. With the exception of conquerers and DT's, when I last played every class could kill you if it either got the jump on you, or you didn't use the proper counter to it. I've taken out the priest of set class as an assassin, despite their healing. That being said, I never did reach the absolute max level, so I don't know how it is in the endgame.

By that same token, rangers, barbarians, the warrior classes, and demonologists have easily leveled me by catching me off guard, or circling around behind me to hit me from behind while I was stalking them.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On the issue of PVP being unbalanced in terms of classes, i've got to disagree. With the exception of conquerers and DT's, when I last played every class could kill you if it either got the jump on you
    Conquerors are actually really good. DT's are still mediocre. Casters still reign supreme, which is what I said. They can take out any class in most situations, while the others will struggle to do the same.
    , or you didn't use the proper counter to it. I've taken out the priest of set class as an assassin, despite their healing. That being said, I never did reach the absolute max level, so I don't know how it is in the endgame.
    Endgame is of course quite different. Not only because of the fact that many classes get their best tools, gear and PvP levels later in the game, but also because the PvP is almost entirely group oriented instead of "ganking lone, unprepared people who are trying to quest". The ToS, for example can't start one-shotting people until later levels.
    By that same token, rangers, barbarians, the warrior classes, and demonologists have easily leveled me by catching me off guard, or circling around behind me to hit me from behind while I was stalking them.
    Each class in AoC can kill other people in the right circumstances. I never said any specific class was bad, I said that some classes (casters) are incredibly overpowered. Today I was hit for 3900 damage by a priest of mitra, the strongest healer in the game. The class gets a shield, another magical shield, one button attacks, light armor, range, heals, ranged CC and a stamina bar used exclusively for sprinting. Compare that to the barbarian which gets the same armor, no extra shields, has to use combo combinations, no healing, no range and is entirely reliant on stamina to deal damage instead of sprinting. Hell, stealth does not even work in group PvP so the barbarian can't even use that!

The balance is completely wonky. It is rrrreally shit right now.

In fact, as I posted my suggestions on the AoC test boards yesterday, I got a dev to confirm that this shit is imbalanced.

The group PvP would actually be moderately fun if;

a) They removed the insane PvP invulnerabilities. Where the fuck is the fun in fighting a guy who can take tons more punishment then you because he grinds a lot?

b) Fixed Casters. Increased HP across the range of all classes. Decreased damage and healing across the range. Fights should last longer than 3-5 seconds.

c) added many many more areas to fight in, with tangible goals and benefits.

Unfortunately, Funcom has announced that they are instead going to

a) release more geargrinds

b) create a new stat system for gear

c) going to release more PvP levels (and presumably more PvP invulnerabilities)

they have said themselves that they want to make gear more important, to the point that it will balance out to "50% gear and 50% skill". This alone ensures that the game will never be fun in PvP unless you're rolling with the top tier people and you have access to the best gear available. Jesus christ I am spending more time writing walls of text about the flaws of the game rather than actually playing it.

Sorry

Bottom line; Game is ok up to 79, PvE wise. At 80, everything is boring and shit.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Downloading the trial now.

12.9 gigs.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Downloading the trial now.

12.9 gigs.

Fuck. I was interested in trying out the game again since I haven't played since the preview weekend before launch but fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish Funcom had made AO2 instead of this. So much.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm using Fileplanet, downloading at 827 kb/s right now so in 5 or so hours it'll be done.

That's not too bad, I guess.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bigity wrote: »
    I wish Funcom had made AO2 instead of this. So much.

Whatever happened to that graphics overhaul they were going to do to AO?

Wasn't that supposed to come out like 3 months ago?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmk0hZam7A

Still working on it apparently.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm using Fileplanet, downloading at 827 kb/s right now so in 5 or so hours it'll be done.

You probably are going to have to patch up for a while after that too... >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    my AoC folder is 27gigs in total

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    holy crap.
    Not downloading this trial, took me 4 days just to download 8gigs for war.
    sigh

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I actually reinstalled the game the other day since I had a gamecard laying around that I got when I first bought the game, decided why not and use it to have a bit of fun. Didn't take too long to update as much as I thought, all in all it seemed to take less or around the same time as WoW does with a standard installation and all.

With the game completely updated my AoC folder is 27.7 gigs total.

From one post I read there are two versions of the trial you can DL, one only has Tortega in it and the other is the full game. So if you get the smaller one you certainly won't have so much to DL.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    =Bigity;9593436]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmk0hZam7A

Funcom says that about alot of things.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, they did take a significant financial loss these past quarters so it is understandable that they're not churning out new content. I'm suprised their old MMO's are even still running

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Once they come out with that update for AO they will probably get a lot more business.

I know that I'll be coming back just for that.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoyed AO back in the day. Though admittedly it easily had some of the worst technical bugs of any MMO I've ever played. Still, if they update the engine I'd be more than willing to visit again, and maybe even stay a while.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kids who are excited about AoC semi-nudity will be playing the trial.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Or, you know, people that want to try the game out.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

God forbid someone trying it out because they think they might enjoy the gameplay.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

God forbid someone trying it out because they think they might enjoy the gameplay.

Yeah enjoy the first 20 levels and then buy the game and then get wtf after that.
    :winky:

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Got through the first 4 gigs and after reading decided to not bother.

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honestly? If it's just a trial I actually recommend you try it out. The first 20 levels are good, or great even, and everything after that is pretty decent PvE-wise.

It's absolutely worth a try.

I complain a lot about the game, but it's mostly the endgame PvP that is horrible.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmk0hZam7A

do you still have to handcraft every miniscule component to make anything? it was the equivalent of being a cook and needing to mine ore to craft your own utensils and cookware first then farming your own ingredients.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm downloading at around 250-280 kb/s. Nothing else using my bandwidth. I'll be playing around tomorrow after noon at this rate.
    Probably uninstalling around 3 or 4pm :P

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd keep AoC installed if it had no monthly fee just because going sightseeing in Conall's Valley is awesome, and because I love the camp music in Cimmeria. The rest of the game can go die in a fire, though, especially now that my HoX is essentially useless (I have no idea what they did to her, but she just couldn't do anything anymore).

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    snip

do you still have to handcraft every miniscule component to make anything? it was the equivalent of being a cook and needing to mine ore to craft your own utensils and cookware first then farming your own ingredients.

I couldn't say, I haven't played in a long time. I stopped soon after the Shadowlands expansion.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.