As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fraz wrote: »
    risumon wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what shenanigans are people talking about?

Here's a quote from Paul Thurrot. He installed Windows 7 Starter Edition. I suppose these things could change, but it's there now. My biggest beef is with the 3 app limit. I'm pretty sure they'll let you get around the wallpaper thing. Also, I'm hoping enterprising hackers will find ways to circumvent any limitations in Windows 7 Starter.
    There are some surprises in Starter edition. There's only a single grayed-out version of the default beta wallpaper, and no obvious way to change the wallpaper. There are no additional wallpapers on the system, and none of the usual wallpaper changing methods work. (Even installing Windows Live Photo Gallery doesn't work: The Set as wallpaper option remains, but doesn't do anything.) Starter edition also includes a bare-bones set of games and lacks the niceties we've come to expect from mainstream Windows versions, including Media Center and DVD Maker. Needless to say, I installed this build on a netbook, and was able to trigger the three application limit pretty easily.

Original Link with pictures

Isn't starter the one for developing nations that isn't even getting released here? Am I missing something?

You could be right. But I thought it was supposed to be Microsoft's answer for the cheaper Linux licenses (LOL free)
    then you thought wrong, it is for developing nations as was said above. Netbooks will be able to run the normal version of win 7, currently MS is toying with creating a special netbook edition of 7 but it hasn't been announced yet

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been wanting to pick up a netbook for a while now, but I keep telling myself to wait for an ion netbook or I'm gonna waste money. The 1000HE was really tempting, but not for $400.

commathe on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what shenanigans are people talking about?

Here's a quote from Paul Thurrot. He installed Windows 7 Starter Edition. I suppose these things could change, but it's there now. My biggest beef is with the 3 app limit. I'm pretty sure they'll let you get around the wallpaper thing. Also, I'm hoping enterprising hackers will find ways to circumvent any limitations in Windows 7 Starter.
    There are some surprises in Starter edition. There's only a single grayed-out version of the default beta wallpaper, and no obvious way to change the wallpaper. There are no additional wallpapers on the system, and none of the usual wallpaper changing methods work. (Even installing Windows Live Photo Gallery doesn't work: The Set as wallpaper option remains, but doesn't do anything.) Starter edition also includes a bare-bones set of games and lacks the niceties we've come to expect from mainstream Windows versions, including Media Center and DVD Maker. Needless to say, I installed this build on a netbook, and was able to trigger the three application limit pretty easily.

Original Link with pictures

Isn't starter the one for developing nations that isn't even getting released here? Am I missing something?

You could be right. But I thought it was supposed to be Microsoft's answer for the cheaper Linux licenses (LOL free)
    then you thought wrong, it is for developing nations as was said above. Netbooks will be able to run the normal version of win 7, currently MS is toying with creating a special netbook edition of 7 but it hasn't been announced yet

Yea, MS is doing it backwards compared to what they did with Vista. Vista Starter was for developing natoins, Home Basic was for really cheap PC's, and Home Premium was for the majority.

In 7, Starter is for Netbooks/Cheap PC's, Basic is for developing nations, and Home Premium is for the Majority.

For some reason they think Starter will be popular on Netbooks. All I see happening is people trying to open the 4th app and going "wtf?" at the netbook, think it's broken, call HP, or Asus, or Dell, have them explain starter, then the person being even more pissed at Microsoft.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah... Netbooks are more than capable of having more than 3 programs running at a time. I regularly have Antivirus, anti spyware, steam, Chrome, and Digsby up on mine.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    yea, the only limitation I run into is actually ram. I have a netbook with an 8GB SSD so in Win7 I have disabled the page file. I have 1.5GB of ram but after a couple of hours on the browser while having IM and a couple other things open I can come close to hitting that. Close the browser and re-open and all is fine again tho.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has Microsoft actually confirmed that? All I could find about it was from various blogs making conjecture. If it does come to be an oem solution for netbooks, that will be incredibly lame.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    So I want to install Linux on the second drive in my Eee, but I don't know how I would go about putting the Truecrypt boot-loader back in the right place and move grub downstream from that.

Any pointers?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited April 2009
    Has Microsoft actually confirmed that? All I could find about it was from various blogs making conjecture. If it does come to be an oem solution for netbooks, that will be incredibly lame.

Yes, Microsoft has confirmed all of this. They said that Netbooks will also come loaded with Home Premium too. But they basically want Starter to replace linux on netbooks, while you can pay $50 more and get Home Premium.

wunderbar on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yes, Microsoft has confirmed all of this. They said that Netbooks will also come loaded with Home Premium too. But they basically want Starter to replace linux on netbooks, while you can pay $50 more and get Home Premium.

I can really only see this helping Linux.

(Not that I have a problem with that.)

Daedalus on
    edited April 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

I can really only see this helping Linux.

(Not that I have a problem with that.)

No. It won't. I'm a linux user, been using it for 5 years. but I'm under no illusion that linux will ever be mainstream. when netbooks first came out they were all linux, but the problem was was that anyone who bought one was pissed they couldn't install iTunes on it. It doesn't matter that there are several perfectly servicable alternatives to iTunes for linux, the fact that Joe user bought this netbook, and could not install the software they want on it.

XP coming to netbooks was a direct result of the fact that the mainstream started to buy them.

Starter will likely be on the $250 netbook. While home premium will be on the $300+ netbook. and I can see a lot of people with a netbook with starter paying say, $50 to upgrade to Home Premium. In fact, that might be a huge business for Microsoft.

wunderbar on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dell and HP both offer linux on their netbooks, I'd say that's definitely moving towards the mainstream.

tofu on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Dell and HP both offer linux on their netbooks, I'd say that's definitely moving towards the mainstream.
    I dunno, the fact that MSI has stated that they receive 4x more linux netbook returns than windows leads me to believe the higher numbers of linux systems available are just making more people hate linux. The only netbooks I can think of that have been successful with linux are the ones that default to neutered easy mode and can't really do anything other than run the preinstalled apps.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    I dunno, the fact that MSI has stated that they receive 4x more linux netbook returns than windows leads me to believe the higher numbers of linux systems available are just making more people hate linux. The only netbooks I can think of that have been successful with linux are the ones that default to neutered easy mode and can't really do anything other than run the preinstalled apps.

I dunno, I have a feeling that "unfamiliar programs that largely do the same thing" will go over better than "three program limit". Y'know, given the two alternatives.

Daedalus on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nah, people will pony up the extra $50 for the upgrade.

You are forgetting that people are lazy as fuck.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I could find a 1000HE for $400, I'd jump on it; but unfortunately, prices in Taiwan are much higher. I can get a 1000HE for $500 or a 904HA for $350. I don't think a 1000HE is worth $500, but I'm not sure if a 904HA is worth $350. I can also get a Gigabyte M919M with a touchscreen for $500, but the battery life is not great unless I buy an extra 6-cell battery. What do you guys think?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My 901 was worth 550 to me, but it helped that I was still in school and reeeeeally needed something like that at that moment.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nibble wrote: »
    If I could find a 1000HE for $400, I'd jump on it; but unfortunately, prices in Taiwan are much higher. I can get a 1000HE for $500 or a 904HA for $350. I don't think a 1000HE is worth $500, but I'm not sure if a 904HA is worth $350. I can also get a Gigabyte M919M with a touchscreen for $500, but the battery life is not great unless I buy an extra 6-cell battery. What do you guys think?

Oh good god I feel your pain. Americans don't know how good they have it. Taiwanese consumers get so badly screwed over despite Acer and ASUS both being based here. I'm thinking/hoping that the 1000HE will get a price drop sometime over the summer after they reveal the next generation of EEE machines, though.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just received my 1000HE. Already have 2GB of RAM and Windows 7, which runs perfectly.

This has to be the perfect Eee.

Fraz on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

variant on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    variant wrote: »
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

The beta is, and it fucking rocks.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, so apparently this post is against the rules and I didn't realize it, so I'm removing it to the best of my ability before it gets me in trouble. I got what I needed anyway, so no biggie.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

Is it built on all new code? What's the new features? The Windows 7 thread is a bit long and doesn't have a summary post.

variant on
    edited April 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

I keep reading about it, but I haven't seen much about how to get it. Is there a link to somewhere I can get it? And if not, Perhaps soMe more ethereal guide will show me the way?

I would try the Windows 7 thread

Improvolone on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

I keep reading about it, but I haven't seen much about how to get it. Is there a link to somewhere I can get it? And if not, Perhaps soMe more ethereal guide will show me the way?

Oh noes, how will anyone decipher your ingenious code?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited April 2009
    Oh noes, how will anyone decipher your ingenious code?
    I know right, it must be uncrackable because I've had no responses yet.

It's okay though, Improvolone has shown me the way and all is gravy now.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wuh, windows 7 is out??

Is it built on all new code? What's the new features? The Windows 7 thread is a bit long and doesn't have a summary post.

It's built off of Vista I think, I honestly don't know. I just know that I never used Vista so I don't know what all they changed but from everyone I've talked to they say 7 is Vista-reloaded, in a good way. Like, Vista is good and all but 7 is so much more. I just know that it's a hell of a step up from XP and despite it being a beta it's surprisingly stable and full-featured (for me at least, I don't really do much except game and surf the web and stuff).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I ordered a 1000HE. I need to get RAM for it, what's the consensus on best RAM upgrade to grab?

SniperGuy on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I ordered a 1000HE. I need to get RAM for it, what's the consensus on best RAM upgrade to grab?

This is what i grabbed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227236

Ash-Housewares on
    edited April 2009
    I wish there were a way to order just a replacement 1000HE keyboard for my original 1000H. I still have never gotten used to that right-shift key, and the 1000HE keyboard just looks so right...

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2009
    So lets see...I got the basics on my flash drive ready to throw on my 1000HE. Open Office, steam, AIM client, antivirus, spybot, vlc...anything else I should look to using?

SniperGuy on
    edited April 2009
    An Ubuntu iso.
    :p

How about a password manager?

Improvolone on
    edited April 2009
    My Mini 9 arrived today; after installing XP and getting everything working on it for the past few hours coming back to my 14 inch laptop feels weird. It's just seems so damn big now.

It's freaking me out.

tofu on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is the difference between 1024x600 and 1280x768 that noticeable on an 8.9" screen? Is it worth an extra $60-100 and reduced battery life?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I think I'm going to sell my old hp laptop on craigslist and get a 1000HE. Judging from here it does everything I want it to and it's the best on the market right now.

I'm thinking about getting it from Best Buy, specifically this one:

It's 349.99 compared with 389.99 at newegg, but it seems this model has everything the 1000HE does except for the N280 processor. I have a $10.00 coupon for best buy, which makes this model about 50 bucks cheaper. Would I miss the N280? I've heard it's better, but you can't really notice the performance boost. I figure I can drop the $50 into ram and get more speed for the money.

Krayzie on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nibble wrote: »
    Is the difference between 1024x600 and 1280x768 that noticeable on an 8.9" screen? Is it worth an extra $60-100 and reduced battery life?

yes

LaCabra on
    edited April 2009
    I got my 1000HE today. I love the thing already. Now to see if I should try these fancy hud vision programs and crap the kids are all talking about these days

edit: holy shit rainmeter is awesome. how did I not find out about this before. shame on me.

SniperGuy on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Krayzie wrote: »
    So I think I'm going to sell my old hp laptop on craigslist and get a 1000HE. Judging from here it does everything I want it to and it's the best on the market right now.

I'm thinking about getting it from Best Buy, specifically this one:

It's 349.99 compared with 389.99 at newegg, but it seems this model has everything the 1000HE does except for the N280 processor. I have a $10.00 coupon for best buy, which makes this model about 50 bucks cheaper. Would I miss the N280? I've heard it's better, but you can't really notice the performance boost. I figure I can drop the $50 into ram and get more speed for the money.

Depends, is this worth $50 to you?
    This is actually the HEB version without the 280 processor, has a 7 hour battery instead of the 9 hour battery. No bluetooth or 802.11N.

I would think that the extra stuff would be worth the $50.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as JUST the 270 v. 280 there isn't much different (1.6GHz v. 1.66GHz) because they didn't put the new chipset in them that is supposed to actually make it a noticeable different.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2009
    I feel a bit like a sucker but I just ordered a 32gb Runcore drive for my Mini 9. I can sell the original drive for 40 or 50 bucks I think, making the 32gb only about $80.

tofu on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd just like to say the 1000HE is a fantastic laptop, especially for traveling. Typing on it right now in my hotel.

donhonk on
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    I'd just like to say the 1000HE is a fantastic laptop, especially for traveling. Typing on it right now in my hotel.

Agreed. I wrote a good chunk of my thesis on it.

Fraz on
This discussion has been closed.