As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CPU issue: new processor = no startup [SOLVED]

ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I decided to upgrade my computer just a bit grabbed the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 to succeed my E6400. I researched to make sure it would work with my motherboard with some techies at work and they agreed that I should be good to go.

However, after I switch them out and put everything together, starting it up with the new CPU yeilds nothing. The fans and everything spins up but nothing on the monitor pops up. I feared the worst so I switched them back and everything was normal.

So I'm wondering if I screwed up somewhere along the line or is this new CPU a mini-brick?

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
Arikado on

• Options
    Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did you plug in the 4 (could be 8) pin dedicated power supply for the chip?

Mojo the Avenger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As far as I know all I have to do is set the chip into the case, clip it shut, then put the heat sink over it and connect the heat sink to the mobo to it could get power.

The new CPU just comes with the chip and a new heat sink fan. According to the instructions, that's all I have to do but, like I said, all I get is some fans spinning up but nothing else.

Arikado on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did you disconnect any cables while you were installing the new processor? There should be a power lead that connects to the motherboard to power the processor, if thats not connected then no boot.

I'd start by replacing the old processor and if your system boots up, then head on to Gigabytes website and make sure you have the latest BIOS update applied.

Edit: gigabyte's website is a bit confusing... Depending on the motherboard revision and your BIOS version that processor doesn't look like it is supported. For revision 2.0, it has 2 lines, one saying the processor isn't supported and another saying it's supported by BIOS version F13 by overclocking. For board revision 3.3, it says the processor is supported with BIOS version F14, but its non official support. Revision 1.3 doesn't have a proper CPU compatibility list, but given the status on rev 2.0 and 3.3, I'd say it probably doesn't support it.

TL;DR Reinstall the old CPU, Update the BIOS and if it still doesn't work, it wasn't meant to be.

CPU support list for GA-965P DS3

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll give that a go.

The only thing I disconnected was the power and I made sure the lights turned off all the way so nothing got shocked.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You were correct. I was pretty damn sure I had updated everything earlier in March. Turns out the BIOS update was sitting in a folder on my desktop and I just never installed it. Once installed and rebooted with the old chip, I turned everything off, installed the new chip, started up and BAM computer is faster than before.

Arikado on
This discussion has been closed.