As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassins '09 - Thanks for Playing! Stay tuned for PAX EAST details

MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
This years winner is dietcokeoo, with an impressive score of 71 points!

Thanks for making this our best and biggest game so far guys, I was completely blown away by the turnout, and I hope you all had a lot of fun! I'd like to get some feedback from you guys about how you felt the game went. Comments, criticism, etc. are all welcome as long as its constructive.

I'll go ahead and talk about what I think will be the main complaint: the armband holders. The armband holders were too small for some people, we knew that might be the case shortly after getting them. I did get some larger ones that one or two people came and picked up and thanks to LuneOwl for graciously making some extenders.

This will be fixed for the PAX East game and on; We'll be adding the option to pick which sized armband you want when you order. We're also throwing around the idea of not requiring you to buy a holder everytime but we're still working out how that would work logistically.

New to Assassins?
If you're not familiar with our version of Assassins, hit the spoiler for some starter information.
In our version of Assassins you are given a symbol on a card to wear and a target symbol to find. Each symbol is made up of a shape filled with a solid color. You may "attack" any player who is wearing a symbol whose shape matches your target symbol, even if the color differs, though a perfect match will score you more points.

When you find a player with a matching symbol, you "eliminate" them and take their current target, starting the hunt over again... and again... until only the most skilled remain.

If you're unfotunately elminated, all is not lost. Though you're no longer able to eliminate players, you may still attack them secretly, slowly but surely gaining points.

Assassins Ch..ch..ch..changes!
We're making some change from '08 that will allow people to find players more readily and mkae the game faster-paced. Click the spoiler below for details.
Rules
The rules are the only thing that isn't getting a major overhaul. Nothing happened last year to suggest any changes, though we're open to any suggestions you have. Feel free to PM me or post something on here for discussion. One thing we will be doing is building a more comprehensive and user friendly rule guide for new players. Look for that soon.

Badge Holders & Badges
The double badge holder was a good idea in theory, but it kept flipping around making it hard to find people. A number of players suggested armband holders so that's what we'll be using this year.

The badges are being redesigned to make symbols and codes easier to read off of the card and from farther away.

Kill Registration
We're looking into ways to make keeping track of your tags and kill codes easier.

The Loop is Dead
For those who aren't familar with how Assassins works, players are in a circle or loop, attacking the players in front of them. Normally, players have a single target but last year we allowed them to attack any target with a specific symbol, with a score bonus for attacking their next target in the loop.

This year the loop is dead; well, the big loop at least. Instead players will be playing in a number of smaller loops; or lots as we're calling them. Each lot has the same symbol/color combinations as other lots and will hold around 20 people. Players won't know what lot they're in and can attack any legal target in any lot.

The rules don't change, you're just going to have a lot more targets out there now. With the big loop last year each symbol was used once with 4 colors, meaning you potentially had 4 targets at any one time.

For this years example we'll use last years population of 100. 100 players is around 5 lots using a 21 player lot made up of 7 symbols and 3 colors. In your own lot you would have 3 targets to choose from, but taken as a whole you now have potentially 15 targets to find.

This is going to make the game much faster paced, but also alot easier to get eliminated. I'm very excited about seeing how this works out and I hope you're excited too. Let me know what you think about this or any of these changes.

MarsChelios on

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sick.

George Fornby Grill on
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wanted to get in on this last year but i didnt manage to find out about it in time.

Azazel on
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Intriguing.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am interested in this and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MURDER!!!!!!

Wait... what do you mean I don't actually get to kill someone?!

Anyways I'm so in. I didn't get killed last year and plan on keeping it going. I still have the wristband I got last year.

Speaking of are we going to be doing the 'trophy' stuff again?

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Let the battle begin!

sum10fishy on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In PAX, Waldo finds you!

(Or gets killed for being such an easy target to spot)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    How much of PAX did you miss because you were hiding in BYOC, scared for you life?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2009
    Not that much actually. Instead of the expo hall being my default location, I just transferred that to the BYOC.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Changes sound good, hopefully I won't get killed by someone sitting right behind me at BYOC this year >.>

tr0tsky on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want in on this! :)

MeeOk on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'll be in on this.

Wormdundee on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome to here this is going up again Mars. I think also a little clarification in the rules was needed as too many people tried to second tier kill but thought it was the same as a primary tier kill in that they demanded my card and code.

MaoChan on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Totally in again this year.

!Suggestion Given the target rich environment with the new symbol assignment this year, drop the "secondary" kill bit with the pin number entry. It was just confusing.

SlickShughes on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    Changes sound good, hopefully I won't get killed by someone sitting right behind me at BYOC this year >.>

He gave you a day head start :P

I cant wait for this again, it was fun. Me and my sister weren't really trying to win, but we still ended up as the top two. She of course was a little more in to it, and won because at the end of the day on Sunday, her last target was me lol. Its something fun to do while in waiting lines. As the lines move, you have just look to see who has badges lol.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    YAY!!

This game was soooo much fun! I'll have to come up with more cool swag for IF someone manages to kill me. :)

eye-shuh on
    edited April 2009
    Oh man, ill take you out before PAX even starts :-P

Azazel on
  • Alex_Digital_CowboyAlex_Digital_Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How do you "Kill" somebody in this game?

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How do you "Kill" somebody in this game?

Creatively. :)

Last year I just jumped in front of people and yelled "BAM!"

eye-shuh on
  • iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OH hell yeah! I was so pumped just hearing about this last year... I'm totally gonna stalk my prey in the most animalistic predatory fashion possible...

I hope I somehow end up killing MeeOk... ZOMG! :O

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OH hell yeah! I was so pumped just hearing about this last year... I'm totally gonna stalk my prey in the most animalistic predatory fashion possible...

I hope I somehow end up killing MeeOk... ZOMG! :O

*cackles with glee* If anybody gets me.. I was in improv class for like 3 years, and play production for .. 3? 4? I gotta do something awesome.

MeeOk on
    edited April 2009
    Do I hear booty?

I need to think of something good this year...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    this sounds really awesome. Im going to try to sound as menacing as i can when i kill people...as menacing as a 5 foot tall midget girl can be.

Oh, are we allowed to bring confetti poppers into pax? it would be awesome to sneak behind someone and tear one of those out.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I certainly picked a good time to start poking at the forum again...

I wonder if I'll be the first one knocked out again this year? Probably not the same *way*, at least...

HikariStarshine on
    edited April 2009
    Totally in again this year.

!Suggestion Given the target rich environment with the new symbol assignment this year, drop the "secondary" kill bit with the pin number entry. It was just confusing.

I liked the second tier stuff better than the main game personally. It felt more like being an assassin, or spy is probably more accurate but it was more fun trying to “kill” someone without them knowing.

sum10fishy on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Observing last year, I think I'm gonna try this rather amusing entertainment this year.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited April 2009
    So there is no specific way to kill a person? This intrigues me....

Azazel on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    In PAX, Waldo finds you!

Now waldo. We all know that isn't true. :D

(sorry.. had to bring it up one more time.)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm in this year. Last year I only saw one person with a badge while waiting in line for the PC freeplay. Of course, I wasn't looking that hard since I wasn't playing.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, the changes sound great. Depending on how the arm badges work, can we possibly request that badges are worn as much towards the front of the body as possible? I can just imagine looking sideways at everyone as they pass me and stupidly falling flat on my face or something. Also, is there maybe room for a duel system or something? The way it was last year was awesome fun, but if you actually had to "fight" your target, it would just be so much more dynamic.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay Assassins! =)=)

Indeed, I too hope not to die quite as quickly this year. Though I was glad that s7arbuck was the one who had me, because he happened to be a XBox 360 faceplate collector, and the awesome guys at BioWare gave me a Mass Effect faceplate to give to the guy who caught me... it couldn't have gone to a better guy! =)

My "capture reward" won't probably be that cool this year, but I'll be keeping an eye out for something neat to give =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oooh, count me in! Last year I made two really great friends out of this game. =D

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited April 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    Qs23 wrote: »
    In PAX, Waldo finds you!

Now waldo. We all know that isn't true. :D

(sorry.. had to bring it up one more time.)

Shush you...

I do have to say I hope that the id numbers will be easier to read.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2009
    Sumi touched upon a good point. Armbands would put the target on the side of the person, and I could see that being less good than on the center of the chest (while recognizing that putting the symbols on/in the badge comes with its own set of problems). Have the people in charge of Assassins at PAX actually seen any prototypes or whatever, to ensure that this actually works?

I'm not super worried about it, but I would hate for an assumption like this to go uninvestigated and then, when PAX rolls around, ruin the game because nobody can really identify anyone else.

Arco on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I want in on this this year. It sounds fun.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Sumi touched upon a good point. Armbands would put the target on the side of the person, and I could see that being less good than on the center of the chest (while recognizing that putting the symbols on/in the badge comes with its own set of problems). Have the people in charge of Assassins at PAX actually seen any prototypes or whatever, to ensure that this actually works?

I'm not super worried about it, but I would hate for an assumption like this to go uninvestigated and then, when PAX rolls around, ruin the game because nobody can really identify anyone else.

These are good points. We've got some ideas for making it easy for players to identify each other with armbands like specifying which arm the band needs to be worn (left) on and what direction it should face (out from the shoulder).

Below is an example of what a typical armband looks like. We're leaning towards a vertical orientation this year, which should allow us to make things easier to read.
    armband.jpg

I'm glad you guys are liking the changes. Some people mentioned the booty clause rules from last year, which was a great idea The Reflection had where if people wanted they could bring something small and interesting to give to the person who eliminates them.

MarsChelios on
    edited April 2009

The people = Mars :P

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited April 2009
    I like the idea of booty.

Heh. Heh.

Maybe I'll paint up a Warhammer fig or something to give to the person who kills me.

Arco on
    edited April 2009
    There's sumi. I knew you'ld be around somewhere.

sum10fishy on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the idea of booty.

Heh. Heh.

Maybe I'll paint up a Warhammer fig or something to give to the person who kills me.

I had the same idea...

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.