As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Artist's Corner

Kendeathwalker on

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    First, congratulations on the work. :^:

Second, and this may not be what you're going for at all, but I figured I'd give it a go based on your last few comments w/cake in your last thread about the lack of 'draw accurately training', so I'd figure I'd attack it more from that angle than trying to necessarily get inside your head about style.
    KDW_paintover.jpg

You might get a stronger read on your figures by being more discrete with your lighting. Don't be afraid of cast shadows or going dark if you need to- though admittedly doing so effectively may be easier in gouache or some other medium than in water color.

Also, I get what you're going for with the splotches at the top and bottom and that's cool, but you may want to work on making them look a bit less systematic in application- 'top 1/4: grey splotches, bottom 1/4: black splotches'. I think you're going for a sort of rough, expressionistic fade out, but could read as the guy just jumped into a big vat of tar.

Oddly, the outlines on all your figures require no changes to be brought up to a point of moderate realisticalness, they just lack an internal sense of form. Now, like I was kind of getting at in your last thread, if you want to go stylized, those outlines should be stylized with it, to enhance composition for a flat read: without internal form the outlines just seem wobbly and uncertain, even if they are 'correct' in the sense that that's how they would be in real life.

With a flatter style you need to make your shape and line design work a bit harder than with realism (ideally a realistic style still has good shape design, of course, but it's not necessarily going be the lynch pin that holds the picture together)- you need design curves vs straights, wobbly versus confident, bold versus wispy, etc. at a conscious level. Currently there's more of a single line/shape quality across the picture, rather than what feels like a designed linework. Try pushing it- push your man-made part machine-tooled sharp, push your organic parts to feel more loose and less controlled. Push the sharp edge of an elbow to be sharper, so it contrasts with the slack line of the fabric surrounding it. Take a look at the foreground guy's arm on the left (his right)- the whole arm boils down to two near-parallel lines, which may be realistic but not necessarily going to read well when the foreshortening gets subdued by a flat color treatment- therefore, it may be worth considering bending the arm in at the elbow a bit, bringing the gun up a bit, so the pose is clearer when read as pure shape...and now I'm rambling on about things that I didn't do anything about on the paintover and I didn't want to get dragged into style anyway so now I'm going shut up.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like your colors!
    Haha! Take that! By the way: M41A Pulse Rifle?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yumy yum yum, yum.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really love all your stuff. It's very much an illustrators style of illustration, if I can be as lame as to say that.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Scott WegenerScott Wegener Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's really solid work. No crits to offer -I don't know a goddamn thing about color. Love the gun -it's a great subconscious mash-up of a bunch of really iconic sci-fi guns. A little HALO and little ALIENS, etc.

Scott Wegener on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I really like that second one; the only crit for it I can think to offer is that the trail of binary is a bit too rigid (at least in the beginning and on the bottom left, where they've got that sharp bend), and that you might want to vary up the order (110100101101110001011... vs. 1010101010101010101010...)

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh god
    the dog
    is awesome

beavotron on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yeah- Dog is really really cool. The idea sniffing the code is also great! Cant believe I didn't think of it first :p hahha. Great work dude I think the improvements you made on the first picture is good, especially in the hands, before you left the hands as line-art comic style and the face was more towards the realism. Also. Have you noticed that there is like a hand sort of splattering down where you have the fade off to shapes on the bottom left. Looks creepy, like a horror movie when the hand slides down the glass covered in blood :D Love it.

Good work !

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    definitely vary up the ones and zeroes, especially in the silhouettes of the soldiers

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just to get it out of the way, I fucking love that hound dog piece so far.

That being said, there are a few minor issues that I think need addressing (despite you having said that you don't think you'll rework them)

I think the dog still blends in too much with the background, which is especially an issue when you consider how vague the BG is. The binary trail is an excellent use of shape and value to break up the space, but I'm wondering whether its enough to get the job done? Don't get me wrong, I love how sparse and vague the BG is, but I'm wondering if it couldn't be defined just a liiiiiittle bit more.

The back of the dogs head, and neck are also so sparse and non-descript(?) that they blend with the BG too much. The only thing I'd like to point out is that the dog's right front leg is positioned too far down and forward. It makes it look a little too awkward to me. If you do rework the image, try moving the leg up, and to the left.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    awesome water colors .

PROX on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's not the Little Mermaid!

Godfather on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    That's not the Little Mermaid!

It's not even sexy!

Mustang on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    but it is awesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm a bit late, but shit man, I love that one in your portfolio for the obesity article. Wow.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Rank and Buck

I worked in some of those crits last minute before I sent the finals off.

Also here is propably the least exciting one. Ill post it just for continuity I guess.

Compsecurity-web.jpg

The fact that the monitor is the only thing parallel to the picture plane, and the fact that it's display is so much more high contrast compared to the rest of the image makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

However, the other one with the armymen-keyboard and tank-mouse was done really well. great idea and execution on that.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I can tell you wanted that area dominant, but in execution it came off was as way too overpowering.

Even though you want that area to be the center of attention, you still want the work to pull the viewer's eye through the rest of the work.

Off the top of my head, a few things that could've helped with eye movement:

Stuff like either having the monitor at an angle or having other, weaker elements of the picture also align with the x and y axis would help. Also, keeping some texture in the keyhole even though it is lighter than the rest of the monitor and having at least one area (possibly near the opposite corner, or some strong hits of highlight on the curvy keys) where the light reflecting from the monitor is almost as strong as the light in the monitor.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i dig that.

what's your normal process on these.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's good to hear I'm not the only one drawing on cheap paper to print onto expensive. I do the same thing for my painting course. I sketch out on newsprint, then print my intended proportion with a set of guides (square breaks/diagonal/etc.) on typing paper, which I use to refine the linear design. Then I print that again at like 10% opacity onto Canvas paper.

What printer do you use, I was surprised by Canon i9900 could handle both the girth of canvas paper and watercolor paper, and the fragility of thin newsprint.

That whale pic looks rad. You totally achieved the pose in front of the whale look. The handle to the umbrella is distractingly stark, but if it were lightened, the hat would be too dark. Then again, that could be from the polarizing effects of it being viewed on a monitor instead of in person.

good job.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, that's essentially the epson equivalent of mine, which oddly enough, my roommate and myself went in together to get. 13"x19", individual ink tanks. What ink cartridges does yours have? Mine's got 8, the normal CMYK cartridges, but it also has a light M and a light C, red, and green. It sucks when it's time to replace the cartridges (about 70 bucks), but it rocks how rarely they have to be replaced.

The Canvas pad stuff is rad, it's sheets of thin canvas primed and ready to paint on. It's great if you fuck around with oil paint, overkill for anything else, and since it's primed, watercolors kind of bead up on it, so not too great for that. There's also cheaper types that are paper with a faux-canvas surface

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love the diver-knight vs octopus painting! But for some reason his legs look kinda small to me; maybe its just because of his massive armored torso. Either way the atmosphere is great.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like how in the recent child one you have gone for a lensed look (dont know how to say it) at the the top of the image like a fish eye but I think unfortunately at the moment it just looks like he has a massive head and neck. I think to you would either need to make the trunk more triangle looking or the head thinner

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really digging most of your stuff. The most recent piece, though, feels like it has serious scaling issues. Even with the fisheye distortion, the child feels like he's 8 feet tall. The background proportions, lighting (note how the top of his head is lit, implying he's tall enough that the shadows of the buildings aren't enveloping him), and composition all add to that effect.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods