As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/

Now to see if it's still your favorite after you read this.

Oh god. I had no idea this website existed.

I'm going to lose every spare moment of time between now and the next two weeks. And it will be glorious. :winky:

Two weeks?

Aha-ahahaha-ahahahahahahahaha

...two weeks he says.

Also everybody should read Dark Id's LPs of the Resident Evil games, Clock Tower 3, and Onimusha. They're some of the funniest mostly straight screenshot LPs on there, much in the same vein as Adus'.

Schide on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Oh god. I had no idea this website existed.

I'm going to lose every spare moment of time between now and the next two weeks. And it will be glorious. :winky:

I hate when people link the LP archive I always end up staying up til about 5 AM reading it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's a good idea to check that before undertaking anything. I'd considered doing Deception III and Growlanser II until I saw SA had done them better justice than I ever could.

I believe a Dragon Force LP was done there at one point, but it was of the Wein campaign, so it doesn't count.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Excellent LP, Adus. Consistent updates and a good overview of the story... or as much as can be expected there, anyway.

cheez on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Indeed. The Animal Crossing one is probably the most brilliant LP I've ever seen. I also tend to like games that are bad and/or enrage the player. Sonic 2006 is quite an epic in that context. I also found Desert Bus quite amusing once they get into reading bad fanfiction (which is in Desert Bus 2 and 3 I believe) though the other parts are a bit annoying or boring.

Also there are some finished video LPs of FFVII on youtube, so it's not like I was the first. They didn't sound like they had voices that were good for LPing though. One guy actually read every line, which would drive me mad.

I played Sonic 2006 as far as the stage after Egg Cerberus, then quit because of the retarded controls. That's about 3-4 stages in. Then I watched the LP.

Boy was I glad I stopped where I did - I would probably have broken the PS3 in half, let alone the disc. Final Story consisting of 7 consecutive levels, featuring 100s of instant death objects popping out of nowhere, and only 5 lives to do all of them, WITHOUT SAVES? I'd sooner fight Ruby Weapon with just the Buster Sword and a Restore materia.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »
    And also thanks to Leovinus' FFVIII for giving me groundwork to go on, not that he'll read this. Any similarities to any other LPs is completely coincidental.

Thanks again to all the readers, President George watches you from above.

THERE'S A FF8 LP!?!?!!?

Would anyone kindly be able to link me if they've got it favourited, or even point me in the right direction? 'Cos I'd love to see someone take the piss out of FF8, even though it's my favourite. :P

Incidentally, make a note of the rest of that LP archive. In addition to the FF8 one, Scorchy's KotOR II and (especially) Chewbot's Animal Crossing LPs are some of the greatest things to ever grace the internet. Pace yourself, though. If you read all of those after Adus's work here, everything else you read may seem tortuously dull and pointless by comparison. Indeed, so may all life.

The animal crossing one is fantastic.

Unfortunately, the archive only logs the actual LP posts, not the responses. That sapped about 2/3rds of the hilarity from the Sprung LP.

Reading that thread while it was still on SA's board literally had me crying I was laughing so hard.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This was one of the most epic things I've ever read/seen.

*standing ovation*

If you ever do another LP I'll definitely give a read.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah god this is horrid. I should be sleeping. Damn LP Archive.

But I remembered I forgot to mention the epic Dwarf Fortress LP of Boatmurdered. It starts a bit slow but it evolves into something that must be seen to be believed. Makes me want to actually take the time and learn how to play Dwarf Fortress but then I look at it again and realize I'm immensely lazy.

Adus on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah god this is horrid. I should be sleeping. Damn LP Archive.

But I remembered I forgot to mention the epic Dwarf Fortress LP of Boatmurdered. It starts a bit slow but it evolves into something that must be seen to be believed. Makes me want to actually take the time and learn how to play Dwarf Fortress but then I look at it again and realize I'm immensely lazy.

DF looks intimidating, but if you follow either of the good tutorials (the [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZUS2h-Yzc"]video tutorial[/vidURL] or the text/screenshot tutorial) you can get the hang of it pretty fast. Especially if you take the time to install a tileset before you start playing, so you get a limited form of graphics.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I can attest to the fact of its epicness. The great elephant is especially awesome and is a absolute must read. Though I haven't finished it yet because I got distracted by another LP.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's worth repeating that Scorchy's LP of KOTOR 2 is the best LP ever written

not the funniest, but without a doubt the most interesting/informative

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    it's worth repeating that Scorchy's LP of KOTOR 2 is the best LP ever written

not the funniest, but without a doubt the most interesting/informative

I've only read parts of it but I have to agree that its pretty damn good.

Makes me want to play KOTOR II again.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really liked this LP. Thanks for doing it.

Rucio on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Great work, you kept it entertaining the whole time!

Pemulis on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks again for this LP, it was awesome to the end

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Loved the lp - whenever you do your next one, i'll be reading :b

Freakle on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Great Job Adus

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BOATMURDERED.

I mean, great LP. I enjoyed reading it, and ended up going back and playing FFVII again myself. I turned it into a drinking game, one for every cliche thing. Drunk by Wall Market.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome LP, brilliantly entertaining.

Looking forward to your next LP, whatever it may be.

Biosys on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One of my personal favorite LPs: Princess Maker 2 by SynthOrange

It helps that I had played the game before so I was familiar with the material but he does a really good job of it. I wish we could get some of our better PA LPs up there. They already have a Vampire: TM: Bloodlines LP up there, but our forums have one done from the perspective of a bat-shit insane Malkavian. Its awesome.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I forgot about that one. It's worth reading if only for the fact that "This isn't the ending I wanted!" and the name Shinkicker are both priceless. I think more LPs should feature Gendo Ikari. And naked, drunken chef fairies. Preferably as separate characters.

Monger on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

It helps that I had played the game before so I was familiar with the material but he does a really good job of it. I wish we could get some of our better PA LPs up there. They already have a Vampire: TM: Bloodlines LP up there, but our forums have one done from the perspective of a bat-shit insane Malkavian. Its awesome.

We could ask for them to get archived here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

We could ask for them to get archived here.

I have been toying with the idea of a Wiki for PA LP's for ages.

But I sort of stopped reading/watching them for awhile until this particular one.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Between this LP and the FFIX one that's started, I'm tempted to try my hand at doing one of FFVIII...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Between this LP and the FFIX one that's started, I'm tempted to try my hand at doing one of FFVIII...

Except it's been done at SA, so you have competition.

Maybe Crisis Core? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I didn't think the SA one was terribly good

BlitzAce if you can be a little insightful instead of just paying the game out constantly then go for it

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I would not be interested in seeing another LP of FFVIII, honestly. One was plenty. X, maybe?

Adus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    I didn't think the SA one was terribly good

BlitzAce if you can be a little insightful instead of just paying the game out constantly then go for it

If by not terribly good you mean fucking hilarious especially because it tore that godawful game a new one at every opportunity, then I can't help but agree.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    look I'm all for kicking FFVIII in the cock over and over again

it's just

I dunno, the story is so retarded that I would have liked some Adus style plot summarizing as well as dick-punches

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh, that's true.

I'm not sure anyone could actually make it funnier than that even with silly recaps. Maybe Adus but I don't think he would want to play that game.

But if someone wants to try, hey more power to them.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Someone that hates themselves should LP 3. Not 6, but 3.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    @ Schide and YaYa : That is why I'd consider FFVIII to be the Marmite of Final Fantasy; some people love it, some people would sooner play Daikatana.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

I like or love basically all of the FF games, but I couldn't make it through III. No thanks. Maybe the DS remake is less difficult, but the NES version is tough.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

The DS version, with any luck. It's not a bad game, but holy shit is that last dungeon bullshit.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got bored of the DS remake of 3 about one dungeon in

my exact thoughts before shutting it off for the last time was "they updated the mechanics in the next ones for a reason"

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's my sick day game the DS version. I play it when I feel like playing a game with 1 hand.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got bored of the DS remake of 3 about one dungeon in

my exact thoughts before shutting it off for the last time was "they updated the mechanics in the next ones for a reason"

I can sorta understand, but at the same time, I've played thru FF1 on the GBA more times than I care to admit, and it has some pretty minor changes in gameplay compared to its original.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    also I'd really enjoy an FFX LP if someone wants to make it happen

YaYa on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A FF3 LP would require some real creativity. I didn't mind the game (finished the DS version) but like all the NES FFs the plot is wafer thin and requires a lot of grinding.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    also I'd really enjoy an FFX LP if someone wants to make it happen

FFX is the only other FF I've played to completion, not counting Tactics. So I guess if one doesn't show up after a while, maybe I'll do it. Seriously not in any hurry to LP any more games as long as this one right now, though.

Adus on