As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prepare for Descent! (NSF56k, Pusses)

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So, I've set up a Hamachi network, name PADescent, password you know exactly what our password is.

Any mans interested for trying to get multiplayer to work? I still haven't installed D2X-XL, so this'd be vanilla, either Descent 1 or 2.

I also have 3 but that game wasn't as fun.

I would think that it would run pretty smooth with the way the internet is running now. Kinda like doom, except the XBLA port is still terrible with netcode.

Viscountalpha on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is a fantastic OP. I've heard from one person so far that the controls aren't so bad without a joystick. Have we got any other accounts to go off of?

I still have my Descent I and II discs, but I played this so long ago I have no idea if I was ever good at it (as a 12, 13 year old), but I like to think I'm below average in the shitdick spectrum (lower being less of a shitdick) and will pick it up without too much trouble since I can claim to have played this.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Again, I play fine with mouse and keyboard. I play it more as a shooter with LOTS of movement freedom than a space sim in tunnels.

Wasd and mouse plus q and e for up and down. That's all you need.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    piL wrote: »
    Descent was a good game, and a game that should totally be remade as an indie roguelike now.

Limed and fixed for Doooo-iiiittt

Also, I just want everyone to know that when that crappy Descent horror movie came out, I was really really excited up until the point I realized it wasn't a video-game movie =(

[edit]
    Also, because everyone is posting their controls,
    z and c for forward and back
    x for flare
    arrow keys for look
    a and s for left/right strafe
    e and d for up/down strafe
    q and w for left/right roll

Xaviar on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember playing 8-person LAN games in the school computer lab, and co-op over dialup with a friend.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Again, I play fine with mouse and keyboard. I play it more as a shooter with LOTS of movement freedom than a space sim in tunnels.

That's the core of my Descent config too. I actually have more success with keyboard and mouse than I do with a flight stick. A flight stick definitely does not feel out of place on these games though, if that's the way you like to roll.

edit: I've located my copy of Descent 3 and it's expansion but I fear my copies of D1 and D2 have been lost to the ravages of time... looks like GOG is going to get some of my cash soon.

Drake on
    edited March 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    That's the core of my Descent config too. I actually have more success with keyboard and mouse than I do with a flight stick. A flight stick definitely does not feel out of place on these games though, if that's the way you like to pitch, yaw, and roll.

Couldn't help myself. :P

I remember going to a WASD+Shift+Space config, to closely match my other FPS layouts (space = up, Shift = down) and then Q/E handle rolling. Worked well enough back in the day.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Descent 1 and 2, Kali/Kahn, the Pyro Pilot's Guild, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.

That was my beginning as an online gamer. A cheesy screenname, a barely capable dial-up connection (or school computers), and older guildies who looked at me with disdain.

To this day I can circle-strafe you like a motherfucker, both KBAM, KB only, and Joystick. You don't mess with me. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I only played Descent with a flightstick. Sure you can play with a mouse, but its not nearly as fun. (Same for any flight/space game)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The more I think about it, the more I think this was the perfect OP to pay homage to this series, in that it is harsh, abusive, looks a little bit crude by today's standards but is still somehow loveable in an old school kind of way. I salute you, OP. Eat shit and die.

Drake wrote: »
    That's the core of my Descent config too. I actually have more success with keyboard and mouse than I do with a flight stick. A flight stick definitely does not feel out of place on these games though, if that's the way you like to pitch, yaw, and roll.

Couldn't help myself. :P

I remember going to a WASD+Shift+Space config, to closely match my other FPS layouts (space = up, Shift = down) and then Q/E handle rolling. Worked well enough back in the day.

That was my config, too (except I always used l-ctrl for down, "shift" has always been my go-to run/walk toggle, I think of it like "gear shift"). I got a joystick later on for some flight sims, and it made sense for other space games as well (X-Wing leaps to mind immediately). But Descent always felt more natural with that config once I learned it. God now I want to play a flight sim, I wonder where my Falcon 4.0 disk is.

SammyF on
    edited March 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I think this was the perfect OP to pay homage to this series, in that it is harsh, abusive, looks a little bit crude by today's standards but is still somehow loveable in an old school kind of way. I salute you, OP. Eat shit and die.

Except that he spelled "pussies" wrong in the title and it's bugging me :x
    That was my config, too (except I always used l-ctrl for down, "shift" has always been my go-to run/walk toggle, I think of it like "gear shift"). I got a joystick later on for some flight sims, and it made sense for other space games as well (X-Wing leaps to mind immediately). But Descent always felt more natural with that config once I learned it. God now I want to play a flight sim, I wonder where my Falcon 4.0 disk is.

I always found LCtrl to be too far down - it wasn't a natural resting spot for my pinky finger. I've been meaning to try shuffling one column right to ESDF which gives another row (QAZ) of option-keys there for quick-binds.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, the OP for this made me laugh out loud. :^:

This game never made me motion sick as a kid. I did get fucking disoriented and lost, though. I think I can count the number of times I actually escaped from each base before getting killed by the self-destruct explosion on one hand.

Pity I lost the discs. I'd love to play it again.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always found LCtrl to be too far down - it wasn't a natural resting spot for my pinky finger. I've been meaning to try shuffling one column right to ESDF which gives another row (QAZ) of option-keys there for quick-binds.

Hmm. Our hands may just be different, it feels natural enough to me. This may also be one of those instances where 14 years of classical piano has made me freakish, different fingerings feel more natural to me. I guess if most of your fingering experience comes from using a QWERTY keyboard, shift would obviously feel most natural--how often do you capitalize stuff with l-shift, and how often do you need to use l-ctrl aside from the random cut/copy/paste hotkeys?

Heh, I totally said "fingering experience" right there. Dirty SammyF is being dirty.

SammyF on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah yes, Descent. I remember playing it with my Microsoft Sidewinder (the same Joystick in the OP) and having a blast.

The FPS ones were fantastic (1-3) but it wasn't until Freespace showed up that I truely fell in love with the brand. My god, Freespace is fucking incredible.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow.

How have I not seen this thread till now? :D

I used the numpad for movement/utilities and the left side of the keyboard for everything else (and forward/back movement) until I finally got a joystick. I've probably shown this joystick a million times every time this game is brought up, but it's too awesome to not.

joystick.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually mapped a 360 controller and it works brilliantly:
    Left stick - forward/reverse/strafe left/right (same as FPS)
    Right stick - look (same as FPS)
    Left bumper/right bumper - strafe up/down
    D-pad L/R - bank L/R (I usually play with the snap-to-floor on just for simplicity's sake, so I don't need to bank all that often)
    D-pad up - flare
    D-pad down - prox mine
    Trigger L/R - Fire Secondary/Fire Primary (I had to do a bit of controller tomfoolery to get the analog triggers to work as buttons, but... what else are you going to use?)

And, erm, MechMantis... I don't know what the Hamachi password is. :oops:

rufo on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's wang you twit.

<3

MechMantis on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think that was a mod edit because this isn't SE++

Arcsyn, that is a swweeet joystick. Who sells it and where can I buy one? I would love that for some arkanoid action.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2009

I think that was a mod edit because this isn't SE++

Arcsyn, that is a swweeet joystick. Who sells it and where can I buy one? I would love that for some arkanoid action.

The Ninja Gaiden thread and several other have had "NSFPussies" in the title, and considering we're allowed to say Fuck/Shit/Cunt/Asshole I think "pussies" is perfectly fine.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Descent 1 and/or 2 have inertia effects? I remember I used to love to use the minigun/machinegun thingie, but for some reason I keep thinking it used to push you backwards when you used it? Am I shrooming?

DietarySupplement on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's wang you twit.

<3

Gah. I tried everything I could think of. "fruitfucker" was my first guess, honestly. I think I might have put in "dick", "cock", etc. Can't believe wang slipped my mind.
    :winky:

rufo on
    edited March 2009
    Yes it did. You could push other things around, and you would also be pushed around from firing the gauss cannon or missiles. Plus letting go of the acceleration button did not mean you stopped immediately.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, anyone up for game?

EDIT: I've got a GOG Descent 1 game up.

MechMantis on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone else having a lot of trouble adjusting settings for Descent 1/2 in OSX? I can't seem to adjust very much in any of the source ports, graphics or otherwise.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved the shit out of Descent, and I am enamored with the OP.

Well done, sir. Kudos all around.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited March 2009
    So, anyone up for game?

When I get my next payday, I may just go over there and buy descent 1 to finish my descent collection.

Viscountalpha on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, anyone up for game?

When I get my next payday, I may just go over there and buy descent 1 to finish my descent collection.

No doubt. As if Steam didn't get enough of my fucking limited funds, now I've got GOG to fill in those crucial gaps that Steam doesn't fill.

I really am dying to check out these Descent source ports. I spend an obscene amount of time with jDoom and zDaemon playing games that I beat over a decade ago. All I need is more of the same, of course. Nothing seems to scratch my gaming itch like the classics. No matter how much coolness the current crop of PC games has to offer, they just don't have the magic for me like my old favorites.

Drake on
  • zwzsgzwzsg Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This is the reason why you used a goddamn joystick.
    I played Descent fine just using mouse and keyboard. All you need is flexible fingers.

To this day, people wonder why I have the most batshit fucking insane key config when I play FPS games on my PC. They ask, "Hey Z, why the heck do you use F and V to move forward and back? How come you use W and X to jump and crouch? Why in the world do you invert your mouselook?" That's because these people are dumb and don't understand true genius. Ladies and gentlemen, I owe it all to this awesome game its awesomeness in control.
    I, too, have all my FPS key config deriving from the one I set up for descent. And I too cannot play games that don't have the invert-Y axis tickbox because of Descent.

Yeah, there's a minimap, but good look trying to figure it out, because you're a dumbass and can't think spatially.
    Never had any trouble always knowing where I am and where to go in Descent 1. And the minimap (can we call it mini when it takes the whole screen?) was easy to read. Now, in Descent II on the other hand... Not to mention Descent II had those annoying one time door: You blow a switch, somewhere a door open, you have a couple seconds to find it and pass it after which it close forever.

Oh yeah, it also was based on a portal renderer. Yeah asshole, that kind of portal. Choke on your cake and die.
    Pity it wasn't used more in official levels. You could do some really amazing 4D effects in third party levels.

So I too played Descent 1 lots and lots when I was younger, (and Descent II much less because I got it only years and years after), and and saddened to not have any newer FPS with the same freedom of movement. Strafing and spinning all around while blowing bots felt so good!

zwzsg on
    Kernel Panic! Quick and easy RTS
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That was the greatest Op I've ever read.

Someone said that the psx controls for Decent were awesome and I would tend to agree. I remember flying through tight spaces (ladies) with ease as my friends would just run into walls. Good times.

projectmayhem on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just looked at the links for that "Into Cerberon" Doom 3 mod in the OP. It looks awesome, and if they can ever finish it I might actually have to dig out my Doom 3 CDs and reinstall it just for that.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You know what I absolutely loved about Descent 2?

I could play 4 player matches through my 56k modem and there was no fucking lag. THAT was awesome netcode.

Satsumomo on
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Everyone needs to rate this thread 5 stars because the OP is so great.
    And forget about those fucknut PC gamers, them and their fucking Peggle and shit. Christ.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I loved playing Descent 1 and 2 back in the day, on my state of the art windows 98 machine, with a pentium TWO.

tehmarken on
    edited April 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I just looked at the links for that "Into Cerberon" Doom 3 mod in the OP. It looks awesome, and if they can ever finish it I might actually have to dig out my Doom 3 CDs and reinstall it just for that.

The biggest pain of that game was the tunnels with the trains that would insta-kill you. even if you used the cheat codes. I gave up after the "protect some shit" level and never looked back.

Viscountalpha on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got an OEM copy of Descent bundled for free with my brand spanking new 3DFX Voodoo card (yeah the very first original one,) and played it religiously for years. It's one of the only games where I would replay the levels over and over, and obsessively study the map, twisting and turning and zooming. I played it keyboard only for the longest time until I picked up an original Microsoft Sidewinder joystick. I loved that stick so much.

I'll also never forget the first day of my first IT job, and walking in to an open area with about 10 IT staff all playing networked Descent 2. It was like a sign from heaven that I had chosen the right career path.

IdolNinja on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    zwzsg wrote: »
    I played Descent fine just using mouse and keyboard. All you need is flexible fingers.

I'll stop lying guys. Descent actually plays fine with a mouse. In fact, I just did a few levels using straight kbam because my Sidewinder got disconnected and I was ultra lazy. I mean, you don't even need those obscenely painful hand positions and all the movement keys unless you're one of those dudes that are hardcore in love with tri-chording. But you cannot argue that it just feels better with a stick. Nothing is more satisfying then delving through a deep and dark tunnel while handling your stick, I'm just saying.

And I just saw ArcSyn has graced my thread. He is coolest motherfucker on these boards, and is way more awesome than all of you guys (and that includes maybe even me).

Are you fine fellows still trying to get multi up and running? It'll be a nice diversion from L4D this and Halo that. I'll probably forget though, and try to run up TF2 again.

Zxerol on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Descent was fucking incredible and they just don't make games like that any more.

edit: seriously, whenever I get all "get off my lawn with your Halo and your...", this is the game I point to.

Daedalus on
    edited April 2009
    And I just saw ArcSyn has graced my thread. He is coolest motherfucker on these boards, and is way more awesome than all of you guys (and that includes maybe even me).

I should so sig this. :D I need to install Descent on my new laptop. To GOG I go! (First thing I bought on GOG when they opened up)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I should so sig this. :D

I was about to ask if your balls were bruised from your sack being ridden so hard. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, by the way: there's a Nintendo DS port of Descent.

http://blog.dev-scene.com/kayvenm/

It hasn't been updated in a while but it runs really well if you turn the music off.

Daedalus on