As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    also I'd really enjoy an FFX LP if someone wants to make it happen

FFX is the only other FF I've played to completion, not counting Tactics. So I guess if one doesn't show up after a while, maybe I'll do it. Seriously not in any hurry to LP any more games as long as this one right now, though.

You're welcome to do FFX, because if I start playing it again, I guarantee any LP I'd do would have half the updates being plot, and the other half being Blitzball...

...Actually, that's a lie. In actual fact, I'd end up having to call the thread "Let's Play Blitzball", since I've clocked up well over 100 hours on it.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man, this talk has half tempted me to LP FFX-2.

But there are various reasons I won't be doing this, I'm thinking.

Schide on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Somebody should take a stab at Tactics. Lots of viewer participation possible with 4 character slots in battle. It'd give people a chance to see the new translation, too.

People like me who are too cheap to buy a game again, even if it is improved.

Tylerbroor on
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    also I'd really enjoy an FFX LP if someone wants to make it happen

FFX is the only other FF I've played to completion, not counting Tactics. So I guess if one doesn't show up after a while, maybe I'll do it. Seriously not in any hurry to LP any more games as long as this one right now, though.

You're welcome to do FFX, because if I start playing it again, I guarantee any LP I'd do would have half the updates being plot, and the other half being Blitzball...

...Actually, that's a lie. In actual fact, I'd end up having to call the thread "Let's Play Blitzball", since I've clocked up well over 100 hours on it.

Well now I feel less embarrassed about putting all those hours into it myself. I still have no idea why I ever did so.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well if I did it, there'd probably be one full update about how much I hate the shit out of Blitzball and then it would never be spoken of again.

Adus on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The thing about doing FFX is that someone would insist on the LPer getting all the Sigils, and there is no person alive who is good at all of the Big Four, as I call them.

For example, I quite liked Blitzball once I got into it, had no trouble with lightning dodging and really lucked out on the chocobo race, but the butterfly catching had me almost snapping my PS2 controller in two.

Dunno why I bothered, my Kimahri was pretty much useless anyway.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wouldn't insist on a full Sigil run

if I remember right, I got Tidus' and Auron's, tried for Lulu's for an hour and nearly shot myself

I never used Kimahri so I dunno about the butterflies

but yeah I wouldn't force the lightning dodge on anybody

YaYa on
    edited April 2009
    I got Tidus and Yuna's. Yuna could Ultima twice for 2mp and do like 50k damage, and Tidus could just normally hit for like 30. Omega Weapon never even got a chance to hit me. It was all very... pointless.

Adus on
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got to 198 lightning dodges and choked :(

I thought the other ones were pretty easy though. Chocobo racing only took me like 3 tries :X

Muramasa18 on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I got all the Sigils because I'm just that sorta guy.

The trick for lightning dodging is to dodge ten, pause, go do something else for a minute, repeat twenty times plus one or two more for security. Also to watch the corner of the screen for flashes and not Tidus.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Muramasa18 on
    edited April 2009
    I saw how retarded the conditions were... then said "Fuck that" and used an Action Replay. I think it was getting a time of 0.3 seconds on the chocobo one that was the final straw, because a bird spawned right on top of me, with no time to avoid it.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the chocobo race wasn't actually that hard

took me about 4 tries

YaYa on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Muramasa18 wrote: »

Wow, somebody else finally discovered (or listened to) my trick. I've been posting this on every thread that mentions the lightning dodge as far as I can remember, I discovered that rhythm myself my first time through the game.
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I don't want to make you look back in rage and anguish (ranguish?) but I feel I must share the tip that I seem to have been the sole discoverer of. There was a crater on the left side of the bottom-most screen, and if you just ran circles inside the crater, the lightning continually struck in the same 4 part rhythm over and over. If you had any sense of rhythm or timing, it made it just a matter of attrition and took the whole being on your toes thing out of the picture. I didn't want to distract myself by counting and wanted to be sure I finished, so I ended up with something like 500 dodges.

The youtube does a much better job of demonstrating it though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2009
    ...And that is where Dr Snofeld is right on the money; Blitzball and the butterflies, I could handle. Chocobos and the tedium of pressing X every few seconds for about 15 minutes, I couldn't be bothered.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Butterflies are insanity.

Chocobo is just about getting a little skill and waiting for the conditions to be right to actually clear it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congratulations fella, was a bloody good read!

Teslan26 on
    edited May 2009
    There was something here but it was bad.

Adus on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Your mic is a little soft. However, Portal is neato.

If you choose the other caption option, it will not display sound effects.

Fencingsax on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If for some reason you liked this and have a game you think you might want to see LPed, let me know and I just might give a run at it.

I got a few ideas you could tr-
    Make it something reasonable though. I'm not gonna do ET or Space Quest or something.

Nevermind. >:(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • LoneLone Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I joined this site simply to comment on this LP which I found in a random google search, I've been reading it for a few days and I'm on the beginning of disc 2.

Great job so far! :mrgreen:

Lone on
    edited August 2009
    Hey that was fun. The forum update messed up a ton of my text in this LP. Apparently apostrophes, ellipses and quotation marks written in Word are considered "special characters" to the forum, and the change seemed to turn them all into random symbols. Had a good time fixing all that. Oh well. I am using this as an excuse to bump my own thread. I also added some character icons to make it clearer who's talking in case that was ever confusing.

Adus on
    edited September 2009
    And now it seems the host crapped out on most of my images, which I sort of expected eventually. Anyone know a good site where I can host 2000 images without much issue?

Not looking forward to fixing all these updates again, but I can't leave it like this. :/

Adus on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And now it seems the host crapped out on most of my images, which I sort of expected eventually. Anyone know a good site where I can host 2000 images without much issue?

Not looking forward to fixing all these updates again, but I can't leave it like this. :/

http://www.imgur.com
    How long do you keep the images?
    As long as images are getting at least 1 view every 3 months, they will stick around forever. After that, your image may be removed create more space for newer images.

Jragghen on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that may have been good if I could figure out how to get it working with my uploader program or if there was some other mass uploading option. I'd go insane before uploading every image one by one.

Nevertheless it's fixed for now. I'm still gonna have to find out another site in case it happens again in the future. Sorry if anyone was reading this when it died out.

Adus on
    edited September 2009
    swayzetribute.jpg

Adus on
    edited September 2009
    I find it somewhat funny that a picture of Cloud crying is the first place I hear about Patrick Swayze's death.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I find it somewhat funny that a picture of Cloud crying is the first place I hear about Patrick Swayze's death.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I love FF7. I need to get it on PSN.

About the translation from, what I can remember, I don't ever seem to remember any part of the dialogue being poorly translated. I pretty much understood what was being discussed. Which parts specifically have bad translation?

If its one of those things where it's name abilities I took those literally, and didn't question them.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you read his LP, trust me - they become very apparent very quickly. I honestly can't remember specific parts, but around Nibelheim I believe it gets rather poorly translated. Mainly with Sephiroths dialogue boxes. I could be very wrong, but still. It's there. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just because you get the gist of what's going doesn't mean it's a good translation.

In addition at least one scene that is pure gibberish, it's rife with awkward sayings and grammatical mistakes ("Off course!" "This guy are sick" etc). It's just wholly unprofessional and considering Square's recent translation efforts (basically, everything since FF7 and FFT) we know they can do better.

ASimPerson on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obviously the language issues will be fixed for the remake.

I CAN HOPE DAMMIT

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can I get some examples?

I honestly don't remember seeing any. Ever.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
    edited September 2009
    Well did you play it on PC by any chance? They fixed a lot of the more egregious errors there. If not, then you'll have to read the thread or take our word for it since I'm too lazy to go sift through the shots and pick them out. It's easy to "not remember" them because if you're reading fairly quickly, things like spelling or grammar errors can be easily missed. I can think of quite a few instances included in just the shots in this thread, and I definitely didn't include every line of dialogue. In fact, I think when I copy and pasted some of the script for some longer scenes, I may have even corrected some spelling/grammar just out of habit of seeing the squiggly lines in Word.

Hell, I missed one even while looking out for them while doing this LP. It had to be pointed out to me after the update that Jenova's line had a misspelling: "Beacause".

How can anyone not at least remember "This guy are sick" though? It's basically the most popular line from the game these days.

Adus on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well did you play it on PC by any chance? They fixed a lot of the more egregious errors there. If not, then you'll have to read the thread or take our word for it since I'm too lazy to go sift through the shots and pick them out. It's easy to "not remember" them because if you're reading fairly quickly, things like spelling or grammar errors can be easily missed. I can think of quite a few instances included in just the shots in this thread, and I definitely didn't include every line of dialogue. In fact, I think when I copy and pasted some of the script for some longer scenes, I may have even corrected some spelling/grammar just out of habit of seeing the squiggly lines in Word.

Hell, I missed one even while looking out for them while doing this LP. It had to be pointed out to me after the update that Jenova's line had a misspelling: "Beacause".

How can anyone not at least remember "This guy are sick" though? It's basically the most popular line from the game these days.
    This guy? He are sick.

SkutSkut on
    edited November 2009
    Goddamn this LP is almost a year old and I still end up doing work on it. Note to anyone ever considering doing an SS LP: Make sure your host is reliable and not some bs site you've never heard of that just seems convenient. Poor MinionOfCthulhu. If he ever does get FFIX going again, he's gonna have to do the same since he used the same site I did.

Because I had to re-upload literally every image in the thread and edit in all the new links, I'm bumping it again. I think I'm entitled!

Adus on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You do so much work for us...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't even want to think about that happening to mine, but it wasn't nearly as popular anyway. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • triftrif EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I'm 5 pages into this, and loving it. One thing though, the translation you played seems to be terrible. It makes a lot of the characters seem shallow and stupid. Maybe it's a North American translation? The UK translation i've always played (PS1, PSP) was so much more... mature?

That's not your fault, obviously, just an observation!

Honk iff you love formal logic! - - There are only 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary and those that don't
    As far as I'm aware there's no difference in dialogue between the US and UK versions. There was an old PC port that corrected some errors and lines, but I think it's rare to find that version. I think the newer PC version actually just uses the original PS1 translation and dialogue, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, maybe you haven't hit them yet, but there are a lot of broken images in this LP (after all it's almost 4 years old now. Hard to believe). ASimPerson was kind enough to re-host the images for me, I just need to edit the posts to direct to the new links. I may not have time to do it until this weekend, though, cause that's going to take a bit. I considered not doing it at all since in retrospect I think a lot of the stuff I wrote for this is really dumb but eh, I spent so much time on it I may as well keep it alive.