As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Temptation Island [Phalla] - Game Over (Zealot Victory! Party Animal Draw)

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great game as usual, LaOs. Really well done.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I will say this.

I was NOT evil when I pulled the vote off of Toxic.

That happened a few nights later.

Cause Durax loved me.

And then you told em "man would it be an AWESOME idea to kill Dac Vin"

Bad ahava. BAD, NAUGHTY AHAVA!

Also I'd mention, as a villager, even if we weren'T as screwed as I thought that phalla was downright painful :|

Dac Vin on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Party Animals? What waht?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And all the green?...

durax on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I figured the village wasn't doin' that badly. I know I was though, man, I was way off this game.

Obbi on
  • Mark L. WalbergMark L. Walberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mechanics Reveal

Game Documents (all in Office 2007 format, so you may need to download the converter), can be found HERE.

Dynamics:
    The game went ahead with 65 players. To start, there were two groups of Zealots, each with 2 players that knew each other from the start. Each Odd night, starting Night 1, each group could Convert one target. From then on, each Convert group got one kill every night. The Zealots could never control the Convert order and the Converts could never control the Conversion order.

There were 2 Neutral players (Party Animals) that knew each other from the start. Each Party Animal could target one player each night to be removed from the game. However, these kills had a proximity affect, whereby up to three other players who were "near" the original target would also die. If more than three players were "near" the original target, it was randomly chosen who would die alongside the original target. (Someone was "near" the original target if they also targetted that player with an ability or with the Suspicion mechanic.)

On the Village side, there were 6 Attention Whores who did not know each other. Each Whore could target one player and Distract the player for the night, blocking the role-abilities of that player.

There were also 4 Peeping Toms who did not know each other. The Peepers could each choose one target to Seer each night. They would learn what exactly their target was (Zealot, Party Animal, Villager) and also acted as an Action Seer (could see if their target was Distracted or had their drink spiked, etc.).

As well, there were 2 Vigilantes that did not know each other. They could each, each night, target one player and remove that player from the game.

Finally, there were 3 Mason Pairs on the Village side. These players had no powers but could trust their Mason partner was not a Zealot to start.

Every player, regardless of Faction, could submit, on three separate nights, a Suspicion of any other player. When a player accumulated 4 or more Suspicions, he was removed from the game.

Any player who was on the Village side but wasn't a Villager appeared Green when killed.
    Zealots and their Converts appeared Red when killed.
    Party Animals appeared Orange when killed.

Victory Conditions:
    The Village, obviously, has to remove all the Zealots.

The Party Animals had to remove all the Zealots and equal or outnumber the Villagers for a Victory. If they survived as one of the other two attained Victory, they would achieve a Draw.

The Zealots wanted to outnumber or equal the Villagers.

The Votes:
    The Red vote was the traditional Village Kill vote. If there was a Tie, the Vote fell to the player who received the next highest unique number of votes.

The Couple Vote to Ice a Single (DeepSkyBlue) would act as a Role Block and also accumulate against the Single. If a Single was ever put on Ice twice, they would be removed fro the game.

The Single Vote to Tempt a Couple (Magenta) acted as a Role Block for both halves of the Couple and split the Couple into two Singles.

The Booth Vote for the Cash (Magenta) had little effect, mainly because it wasn't used much. The player who won the Booth Vote gained 1 "point" and then could PM the name of another player. That targetted player would gain 2 points. If a player received 3 points, they would be removed from the game. If a player became the Frontrunner for the cash prize as the closest player to the prize (everyone started at 0 points and each point moved you further away) they would have become immune to everything but the Red vote for the night. Obviously, there wasn't enough time for that.

Order of Actions:
    The Attention Whore Distraction always went First, then the Zealot Conversion. Followed by the Party Animal Kill, the Convert Kill, the Vigilante Kills, the Suspicion Kill(s), the Village Vote, and then the Peeping Tom Seerings. If a player was Converted the night they died, they would appear Red when killed. This happened at least twice, I think.

Mark L. Walberg on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got my first zealot vig kill and it doesn't go off because apparently the conversion has higher priority. Screw that.

Delmain on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why the hell didn't you Zealots kill people sooner. It was half way through the game and an extra team kill came up. That tossed me for a loop.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can explain part of that - before Dusda (Zealot) was replaced with durax, Dusda said that he was going to send in the initial Conversion for our team. Unfortunately, he didn't, which meant that our Zealot team only got our first conversion on Night 3.

simonwolf on
    edited April 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Why the hell didn't you Zealots kill people sooner. It was half way through the game and an extra team kill came up. That tossed me for a loop.
    I was a replacement. I didn't enter the game early enough to grant your request.
    (Besides we ended up covering for you when you were nullified.)

Edit: Did you guys have boards?

durax on
    edited April 2009
    Role PMs:

Singles
    Good morning «Name» («Player»),

You were hanging out in a beachside club when a man in a suit approached you. "«Player»," he said, "you've been selected by the producers at FOX Television to appear on a new reality television show."

You sat quietly, finishing your drink, while he rambled on and on about a rebirth of Temptation Island. When he finished talking and asked you again if you would like to appear on the show, you said yes. How hard could it be, anyway, joining a reality television show on a tropical island as a specially-selected Single there to party and tempt a number of foolish Couples into infidelity? Plus, it was a perfect opportunity to work on your tan!

Unfortunately, somehow some lame fundamentalists managed to weasel their way into the cast and are putting a pretty big downer on your fun times. The Zealots don't believe in fun, it seems, and that's just not cool.

Each night, !Vote in Bold Red for the Player you think is a Zealot working against fun and good times. Send all questions via PM to Mark L. Walberg or ask in the gamethread in Bold Orange.

On any three separate nights, you may also voice your Suspicions of any player to the Host; PM that player's name for the Host to take note of. When a player becomes too suspicious, the Host will take special action.

Couples
    Good morning «Name» («Player»),

When you heard that FOX was bringing back that tacky reality television show, Temptation Island, you and your partner, «Couple» («Partner»), laughed, looked one another in the eyes, and excitedly shouted, "let's do it!"

So, here you are, on an island in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but have the time of your life. Sure, there are the Singles and other Couples out there to mingle with, but there's also apparently a number of religious Zealots that you need to track down and kick off the island. Not only are they a buzzkill, the FOX executives need you to get rid of them to save the ratings. Even though you and «Couple» («Partner») have been together for quite a while, you can't be sure that «Pronoun» isn't part of the problem.

Each night, !Vote in Bold Red for the Player you think is a Zealot working against fun and good times. Send all questions via PM to Mark L. Walberg or ask in the gamethread in Bold Orange.

On any three separate nights, you may also voice your Suspicions of any player to the Host; PM that player's name for the Host to take note of. When a player becomes too suspicious, the Host will take special action.

Peeping Tom
    Temptation Island seemed to be an amazing opportunity for you to exercise your little… "habit" as you like to call it. To be perfectly honest, though, you absolutely cannot resist spying on your neighbours.

Unfortunately, for the last little while, your neighbours have been nothing but fat, lazy slobs. However, now on the island, you've got nothing but hotties to Peep on all night long.

It's a good thing, really. Each night you can PM the name of one player to the Host that you want to Peep on. You will discover if that player does anything of notice or, better yet, if they happen to be one of the Zealots the FOX executives say are responsible for declining ratings and for generally killing the fun times being had on the island. Hopefully you'll get lucky, help throw out those damned Zealots, and get to spend the rest of the time relaxing during the day and spying on your naughty, naughty neighbours during the night.

If you have any questions, PM Mark L. Walberg.

Attention Whore
    If there is one thing you love, it's a crowd. You're what they like to call an "attention whore" and you're not afraid to embrace it! The nights you love the most are those where you can find some way to become the centre of attention and hold that spotlight the whole night through.

In fact, you're so good at being an Attention Whore, you've found that if you focus your efforts on one single person, they often become so entranced with you, they forget what they were doing.

Each night, PM the name of one player to Mark L. Walberg that you would like to distract. That player's actions will be nullified for the night (who can resist your charms, anyway?). PM with any questions.

Executive Plants (Vigilantes)
    While you are pretty sure Temptation Island is nothing more than a breeding ground for VD, your bosses have made you a part of the Cast in an attempt to take out the Zealot threat before the ratings tank. You're not sure how you feel about being a plant on a reality television show, but you are pretty sure that this wouldn't be the first "reality television" show to have plants.

Anyway, they executives are paying you big bucks to track down the Zealots, so each night, PM the Host the name of one player that you think is a Zealot and they will be removed from the game. If you have any questions, PM Mark L. Walberg.

Zealots
    If only those harlots and whores had chosen to follow God's word, you, «Name» («Player»), would not have had to soil yourself with the dirt of this Temptation Island. Instead, your partner, «Partner» («Baddie»), and you have had to come to this island of sin. It is your mission to Convert the heathens and reform their wicked ways.

Every other night, starting on Night 1, you may choose one Player to Convert to the Glory of God. This player will become a Religious Convert and join you and your partner. Every night after, so long as you have one remaining Convert, your Converts can choose one other player to remove from the game.

Only you and your partner may recruit new Converts. However, even if you two are removed from the game, your Converts will continue God's work, aiming to remove all the sinners from the island.

Your Faction wins when the number of Zealots (including Converts) equals or exceeds the number of Sinners (every non-Zealot player). If you have any questions, PM Mark L. Walberg. If you set up a pro-board, send me the link.

Party Animals
    Soon, «Name» («Partier») will be a household name. This is your big shot!

When FOX cancelled Temptation Island before you had a chance to get on the show, you were devastated. It looked like the perfect opportunity to sleep around, thoroughly enjoy yourself, and let the whole world know that you are the biggest party animal in the world. No one can drink, fuck, and let loose like you can, and now you've got your chance to prove it. Well, no one else except your BFF, «Partner» («Neutral»). If anyone tries to get in your way, the two of you will make them pay!

While the rest of the players are fooling around with their partners or trying to tempt the little couples, you're more concerned with enjoying the hell out of your time on FOX's dime. The Zealots don't bother you—so long as they stay out of your way and don't try to stop your fun—and some of the Couples and Singles are sort of cute, so you've got nothing against them. Nope, you're here to party, and that's all you're concerned with, and you can work with whoever will help you party the hardest!

To help yourself stand out from the crowd and get noticed, you're going to have to take out some of your hot competition. Each night, you can both each choose any Player and spike his or her drink. You will make whoever drinks from it so sick they'll have to leave the show, making it easier for you to rise to the top of the hot list.

You will know your work is done and you've been successful when the two of you outnumber or equal the number of crazy Zealots and naïve Couples/Singles left on the Island. If you have any questions, PM Mark L. Walberg.

Mason Pairs
    At least you recognise «Partner», «Mason» from College. People always used to say, "there goes «Name» («Player») and «Partner» getting into trouble again!" You both know for a fact that neither of you would ever become a Zealot—you both love fun way too much. Maybe together the two of you can figure out who the crazy fundamentalists are so you can kick them out and get on with the show. Temptation Island is supposed to be all about the fun!

Mark L. Walberg on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    durax wrote: »
    I was a replacement. I didn't enter the game early enough to grant your request.

Why yes we did.

That was an awesome save. I was so paranoid after that night.

Toxic Toys on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh hey, I actually distracted a zealot
    on the night they killed me

SaraLuna on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So..

I still do not count this as Toxic and I being evil together.

Considering we didn't know.

bad LaOs. BAD!

also, dac... I don't think that was my idea.

Was it?

I though VH was the one that wanted you dead. hmmmm

Sorry!!!!

lonelyahava on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Was it?

Dac Vin -- lonelyahava's pick, he is making noise as if he's important.

:(

Dac Vin on
    edited April 2009

Why yes we did.

Unlock please.

And yeah, I was confused, I thought our kill got covered up because the vigilante killed Obbi first.
    It wasn't till much later, after we had pretty much killed you with suspicion, that the pieces of what really happened hit me.

durax on
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys who killed me?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Was it?

awww...

*hugs for you!!!!!*

I don't think it was personal!

It might have been, i vaugely remember having a grudge against you for something....

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys who killed me?

Checking the handy Roster tab on the old Spreadsheet, you were killed by Convert 2, meaning the Converts of Maximus and Daius (Toxic Toys ordered the Hit).

Mark L. Walberg on
    edited April 2009
    grrr

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited April 2009

Why yes we did.

Unlock please.

And yeah, I was confused, I thought our kill got covered up because the vigilante killed Obbi first.
    It wasn't till much later, after we had pretty much killed you with suspicion, that the pieces of what really happened hit me.

Done, you sumofabitch. I was going to use my suspicion for Dac Vin I think.

Toxic Toys on
    edited April 2009

Was it?

awww...

*hugs for you!!!!!*

I don't think it was personal!

It might have been, i vaugely remember having a grudge against you for something....

Don't worry, my feelings weren't hurt, and if they were, the hug fixed them up. Choosing people to thin the villager herd is part of the cycle of phalla life, and even the most adorable can't escape from it.
    Though thinking about it, the vague grudge idea is probably a remain of the Queen mini where I killed myself to push the vote on you and win the game for the bad guys. That was a good time ;)

Dac Vin on
    edited April 2009

Why yes we did.

Unlock please.

Fucking Toxic....

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited April 2009

Why yes we did.

Unlock please.

Fucking Toxic....

Yessssss

Join me in my hate!

JOIN ME!!!

Together we can hate on Toxic together!

but...

No fucking together.

I get selfish when it comes to that.

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2009

Why yes we did.

Unlock please.

Fucking Toxic....

Yessssss

Join me in my hate!

JOIN ME!!!

Together we can hate on Toxic together!

but...

No fucking together.

I get selfish when it comes to that.

Wat.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited April 2009

Wat.

You can now hate Toxic with ahava. No fornication though.

Dac Vin on
    edited April 2009
    Thank you Dac.

He can fornicate with me!

just not with Toxic.

I don't share my hate-fucks.

gods I think I need to sleep.

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2009
    And my hate list grows. :D

Toxic Toys on
    edited April 2009

I'm sorry TT, I guess we will never make love.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited April 2009

Yes we will, but you just won't be alive for it.

Toxic Toys on
    edited April 2009

Still

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited April 2009

Actually, of course he will make love to you!

But then I'm assuming Tommy2Hands is a big burly man.

Dac Vin on
    edited April 2009

Actually, of course he will make love to you!

But then I'm assuming Tommy2Hands is a big burly man.

Jailbait would be a closer assumption

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Hah!

I don't make love with Toxic.

We have delicious hate sex.

and yeah, I really REALLY need to go pass out now.....

night kids.

LaOs, awesome game.

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2009
    Anyway, I know that Conversions are kind of hit and miss usually, but I hoped to handle the balance well enough with a boatload of Seers and the potential for 14 deaths each night. Also, having the Conversion only on Odd nights and splitting the Zealots into the two groups. If one targetted the other for Conversion, they would meet up and the Conversion would be wasted. If one of the Convert groups targetted the other Zealot or Convert group, the kill would go through and then they would meet up. So, there was still room for crossfire.

The Party Animals, too, worked out much as I had intended and I really wanted to explore the idea of proximity in Phalla.

Thanks for playing along. I'm dead tired, so if I've not explained something you'd like clarified or if you just want to know more information from behind the scenes, just ask. I'm going to bed now, though. Oh, I likely won't log into this GM account for a long, long time again, so please, if you want to PM me, use my regular LaOs account. Thanks for playing! G'night.

Mark L. Walberg on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found the general lack of information very frustrating.

The zealots pretty much won because of the lack of role names for the dead.

The majority of the thread discussion was "What do you think XXX means?" "Fuck if I know, could mean anything."

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was a fan of role blocking, then getting to kill.

The_Reflection on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ya, I don't do well in low information games.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Exarch wrote: »
    I found the general lack of information very frustrating.

The zealots pretty much won because of the lack of role names for the dead.

The majority of the thread discussion was "What do you think XXX means?" "Fuck if I know, could mean anything."

I have to agree somewhat with this. Kind of felt there was little to work with.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited April 2009
    I thought the color code was good. AS a bad guy, I really wanted to know who I hit that was green and it pissed me off I didn't.

I'm guessing the village felt the same way. So it was kinda of even, but only if you played phalla alot - which this form does.

Toxic Toys on