As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

America's Army: Does anyone play anymore?

remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
I just got a new laptop, and was looking for some games to play with it. I used to LOVE AA back in the day, and that was playing on a computer that had to run it on low settings, 1024x768, and still only getting around 30fps. So when I got my new machine, I was like "I miss that game".

However, does anyone still play it? I was going to download it last night, and while it was downloading I looked at the forums, and in the "newbies" forum there were only like, 5 or 6 posts made in the last few months. I dont wanna waste time downloading if there's gonna be no one on.

remlap13 on

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After doing the Spec ops mission, I didn't feel like doing much of anything anymore.

Meiz on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't think anyone plays this game anymore. There may still be a small community left but I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ya thats what I figured. It's sad too cuz it's a free game that was actually not bad to play.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Forgot about that game. Was fun until I discovered CS.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Forgot about that game. Was fun until I discovered CS.

I play a lot of CS too. AA is way more tactical and slower paced than CS.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I haven't played this game. But the fact that you always see yourself as an American and your opponents as terrorists is the greatest argument for games being art I've ever heard. It's simply delightful.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    I haven't played this game. But the fact that you always see yourself as an American and your opponents as terrorists is the greatest argument for games being art I've ever heard. It's simply delightful.

It also confused the hell out of me for a while until I realized what they did there.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The games just outdated at this point, I really wish they would consider a complete remake. They keep trying to add gameplay, but the features that they add are just too small. They could make a really fun game were you do everything from tank commander to Predator pilot, to grunt on the ground. I just don't think they are ambitious enough.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ..... why would they?

The game is just a recruiting tool.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And it could be a better recruiting tool...

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember playing it when it first came out. It was a great game, too!

TheBog on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some guy from my family's church made this game. Came up with the idea, applied for a contract, managed its development. He mostly spent his free time studying bullet physics and collision detection algorithms for those few years.

I've never tried it, is it any good?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yep! Surprising for a free game.

TheBog on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My problem with AA was that the spec forces stuff was a really cool idea but after it came out the game played a lot more like CS. Everybody had modded M4s and you could sort of run & gun. The original was a lot slower and unique.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After failing the E&E spec ops training mission for the 745th time, I just gave up and went back to Quake 3.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guys, AA 3.0 is coming out this year. It's going to be a total remake using the Unreal 3 engine. Info from IGN and the AA homepage.

They're talking about adding unique ballistic models for every weapon, bullet penetration, all sorts of crazy stuff.

I'm very interested.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I seem to remember some maps boiling down to memorizing enemy routes and just chucking grenades in that direction.

Hopefully AA 3.0 will be good, I'd love a new, free tactical shooter to play.

I have never understood this as a recruiting tool, though.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh yeah? A new AA? I'm up for it.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Fourier_seriesFourier_series Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I used to play AA all the time back around when they added special forces. I'd play a new AA.

Fourier_series on
    soldierpw2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    New AA? Yes I think I heard about that. I'm down as long as other people are playing.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I had quite a few problems with this game.

The "realistic" aiming (wind or whatever) which in practice meant that you always hit 2mm up-left of the ironsight - in all situations and at all ranges...

The spec-ops mission was the most impossible thing ever created by anyone in the entire universe.

And that you were always America, it took me quite a while to understand why I was never assigned to the other team.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    The spec-ops mission was the most impossible thing ever created by anyone in the entire universe.

And that you were always America, it took me quite a while to understand why I was never assigned to the other team.

The spec ops had one part that was lame, and it just took looking up a guide and following it carefully.

I thought always being america was one of the sweetest things, and being able to jack enemy guns was cool.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game was indeed fun. I spent a good amount of time on Pipeline years ago.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only reason to play this game is to immediately hack it, despite the army asking you not to. At that point, give yourself various weapons and shoot the drill instructor in the face. Hang around in jail for a while. Uninstall.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I totally love AA. I'm a big tactical shooter fan and AA does some interesting, unique things in the genre. It's also more polished and less of an obvious, annoying recruiting tool than most people might suspect after only hearing about it second hand. Despite it getting more and more outdated absolutely tons of people still play it online, actually - it is free after all. Anyway, I can't wait for the new one.

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I only played this game a couple of times but a friend of mine used to play it quite a bit. It was fun but at the time I was more into Unreal Tournament and games of that ilk so I never got into it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Funny you mention this now, I just saw this on IGN yesterday: http://pc.ign.com/articles/966/966942p1.html

Zenitram on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I went back and played this a bit about a year ago but stopped after being vote kicked off a server for like the 5th time for being the last one alive...
    I was always the last one alive on my team because I wasn't just run and gunning everything like an idiot.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The community is probably my least favorite thing about the game - you can imagine what kind of players a highly competitive, yet free FPS attracts. That said it is a huge player base so if you try you should be able to find a good group of people to play with.

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It looks like they stopped updating the Mac version years ago.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That's because Mac users aren't real people. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ChairborneChairborne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll out myself as a guy who played the first version of AA and ended up joining the Army. Granted, I don't think it had a lot of impact on my decision to enlist, but nevertheless the link exists.

Chairborne on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That preview actually seems kind of cool. Actually capturing your opponents instead of everyone dying is a nice touch.

Neaden on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    It looks like they stopped updating the Mac version years ago.

Obviously Mac users will never join the army, the hippies. Why should they get a free game?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because I am too lazy to do my own OP, decided to necro this because AA3 is coming out in 4 days.

http://aa3.americasarmy.com/

Now talk!

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game was indeed fun. I spent a good amount of time on Pipeline years ago.

I used to love playing pipeline. But it just got repetitive after a while.

I think my only real complaints with the game was that I thought grenades were way too powerful, at least for game purposes. There were just too many times where the bad guys would lob grenades at us and I'd be really far away from the explosion yet still get killed. It was one of those things where, sure, that might be how a grenade would work in RL, but for a game, it just wasn't fun.

There was also the thing about how machine guns were so underpowered compared to the SAW. There were a number of times where I'd be using a machine gun and I'd get the drop on a SAW gunner, so i'd shoot the guy and hit him a couple times, but the SAW gunner would still have enough time to swing around and mow me down with the SAW even though he'd already been hit a few times.

But that was long ago, so I have no idea how the game has changed since then.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The videos up on Steam (specifically the new features video) make me think they might be doing more to encourage teamwork.

I think this is the perfect time to get back into AA, with the new version coming out. Everyone will be equally new. I used to love AA 1, and am personally willing to give AA3 a shot, when it unlocks next week.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So how important is getting a headset/mike for this? Seems like a very team based tactical game and I'm going to give it a go when it launches. Been hankering for some non-twitch based/respawn shooting.

Leitner on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    So how important is getting a headset/mike for this? Seems like a very team based tactical game and I'm going to give it a go when it launches. Been hankering for some non-twitch based/respawn shooting.

I'd say next to required if you're playing with a group of friends/pa folk. If it's like the AA1 community though you will want to disable incoming voice chat. I also prefer headsets for tactical type shooters just because it's easier to hear footsteps.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig