As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WotR] The War on Rings!

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    holy shit, movement trays are definatly your friend.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i havnt played a game with movement trays yet, so i hope the fluidity of the battle line is still kept. also the new charge phase should be interesting (with the possibility to fail etc). but i am really looking forward to a much faster game.

Can anyone thats read the rules comment on the table size they recommended for games? and what sort of model count/points do they suggest?

Octobot on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    6x4 for 1k to 2k games. Model count is irrelevant, really.

SJ on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just bear in mind that moria goblins are something like 20pts/company or thereabouts. And Men of Gondor are 35/company. The expensive stuff is the characters (Captain of Gondor = 50pts and so worth it).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I just searched the GW site for this...

Where is information like unit point costs found? It doesn't appear that each army has individual codices.. Is it all in the rulebook?

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I just searched the GW site for this...

Where is information like unit point costs found? It doesn't appear that each army has individual codices.. Is it all in the rulebook?

Yes. The only book you need is the rule book. :winky:

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited March 2009
    wow...

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    edited March 2009
    i know going through their website and clicking on their catalogue of pictures they actualy have the base stats of the unit on its extended description. its missing a few of the numbers so you can't cheat and just use that but its a good way to determine how effective your troops will be.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WOTR is awesomesauce. It is the best of GW's game systems IMO. A perfect blend of warmaster, fantasy and lotr SBG. I am hoping it picks up in my area.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With the help of SJ at the store today I decided to run a Gondor army with cavalry support from Rohan to fill my allies section. Until I get my own copy of the book I'm just sticking to collecting common units that I know I'll need. I picked up a second box of Gondor Warriors bringing me to 4 companies of them and 2 of archers and a box of Riders of Rohan to start the Rohirrim.

As an aside I wonder which is scarier, the fact that I knew how to spell Rohirrim or that Firefox has that word in it's spell checker.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are they keeping all the army lists from the LoTR: SBG or are they merging/removing them? Same goes for the individual models, theres a fair number of different heroes and warrior choices, are they really gonna have them all in one book?

Only a few people that play the SBG around here but theres a number of others that are excited for WotR coming out so hopefully things will grow. Right now I got a Dol Amroth which I love their army choices and have starting building a evil army based around orcs to mix things up.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
    edited March 2009
    Riqa wrote: »
    Are they keeping all the army lists from the LoTR: SBG or are they merging/removing them? Same goes for the individual models, theres a fair number of different heroes and warrior choices, are they really gonna have them all in one book?

Only a few people that play the SBG around here but theres a number of others that are excited for WotR coming out so hopefully things will grow. Right now I got a Dol Amroth which I love their army choices and have starting building a evil army based around orcs to mix things up.

It's a different game. They don't have anything to do with one another other than they use the same models. And yes all the WotR army lists are in the main rulebook.

SJ on
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Riqa wrote: »

It's a different game. They don't have anything to do with one another other than they use the same models. And yes all the WotR army lists are in the main rulebook.

Ahh ok, that must be one big book. :)

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
    edited March 2009
    328 pages.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    Full color too.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    Fortunately, only a few of the individual units take up a whole page (Mumakil take two), so the army lists themselves are relatively compact.

Mr_Rose on
    edited March 2009
    Alright, so far I've got: 6 companies of Mordor Orcs with shields and Captain, Banner, and soon to be drummer.
    3 Companies of Morannon Orcs with shields and Command on the way.
    3 Companies of Warg Riders with Shields, will have to figure out some way to make a command for them.
    The Dark Marshal
    A troll

After I get my Siege Bow and 3 more companies of Warg Riders I'll be sitting at a cool 1k.

Oh and Gavin we have a 90$ box set with a schlode of Gondor stuff in it, including like 8 of those Citadel Guard dudes with the spears. You should definitely give it a look.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    Alright, so far I've got: 6 companies of Mordor Orcs with shields and Captain, Banner, and soon to be drummer.
    3 Companies of Morannon Orcs with shields and Command on the way.
    3 Companies of Warg Riders with Shields, will have to figure out some way to make a command for them.
    The Dark Marshal
    A troll

After I get my Siege Bow and 3 more companies of Warg Riders I'll be sitting at a cool 1k.

Oh and Gavin we have a 90$ box set with a schlode of Gondor stuff in it, including like 8 of those Citadel Guard dudes with the spears. You should definitely give it a look.

What? Where? Is there a picture?

Right now I got:
    4 companies of Gondor warriors
    2 companies of Gondor archers
    3 companies of Riders of Rohan
    Boromir (Fellowship version. I'll get the Gondor armored one at some point)

You need to demo me a game this sunday.:P

*edit* Is this what you're talking about?
    http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetail.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147365986_A_InventoryID_E_2147482239_A_ProductLineID_E_2137419688_A_ManufacturerID_E_30_A_CategoryID_E_5_A_GenreID_E_

Or this one?
    http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.asp?image=gaw06-12mini.jpg&name=Minas Tirith Battlehost

If it's the second one it looks like a way better deal even if I get the Fountian Guards instead of the Citadel Guard with the cloaks that I like better.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    It's the 2nd one, you should buy it.

SJ on
    edited March 2009

Hell yes. I'd only need two more of those Fountain guard for a company. You have this in store? I'll pick it up Sunday!

Why the hell does that second one come with 12 of each unit? (12 warriors with swords, 12 warriors with spears, ect..)

Such a wierd number when they come 8 of each to a box.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    I think those are old boxes ? or the expect you to buy 2 so you can field the units you need :d

Draeven on

edited March 2009
    m2050754_99111464162_LoTRGondorBattlehost_873x627.jpg
    So tempted to get this but then I noticed that two of those 90 buck ones and I'd have more guys and save money.

*edit* Interestingly enough the big GW $202 set there is worth exactly $202 if you bought the stuff separate. That smaller one SJ mentioned is worth $126 for $90.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009

Hell yes. I'd only need two more of those Fountain guard for a company. You have this in store? I'll pick it up Sunday!

Why the hell does that second one come with 12 of each unit? (12 warriors with swords, 12 warriors with spears, ect..)

Such a wierd number when they come 8 of each to a box.

Actually you wouldn't need to buy any, since it comes with a captain and standard. That's eight dudes.

Edit: yeah and the war of the ring boxes all saves you pretty much zero fucking dollars. It's retarded.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    it saves you from having to open up more then 1 box :D

Draeven on

edited March 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    it saves you from having to open up more then 1 box :D

Saving time is priceless :P

Nax on
    edited March 2009
    Except that it's probably a bunch of individual boxes.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    Thinking of starting a Rohan force... Anyone have any thoughts on Rohan? :P

Nax on
    edited March 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    Thinking of starting a Rohan force... Anyone have any thoughts on Rohan? :P

Holy crap horses!

But seriously, their cavalry is amazing, but if you focus to heavily on them you will be outnumbers and overwhelmed.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    timspork,

a few years ago GW had "battalion boxes" for LOTR they were called battle hosts, you can still find them floating around at LGS and the internets. They were $90 and generally a sweet deal like some of the battalion boxes.

For starting a Rohan force,

This is a pretty good starting point:

http://usacomicbooks.stores.yahoo.net/loofrimuofro.html

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why am I even reading this thread? I don't need to get into this. WHY AM I READING THIS AND LOOKING AT THE WEBSITE AND LOOKING AT RINGWRAITHS.

desc on
    edited March 2009
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    timspork,

a few years ago GW had "battalion boxes" for LOTR they were called battle hosts, you can still find them floating around at LGS and the internets. They were $90 and generally a sweet deal like some of the battalion boxes.

Yeah, we've uh... already discussed those :P. And he's not playing Rohan, he's only using some as allies.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    timspork,

Yeah, we've uh... already discussed those :P. And he's not playing Rohan, he's only using some as allies.

the rohan force was for the guy who asked about rohan...my bad asshat

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Whoops, my bad. Looked like that part was directed at tim as well :P

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    I got a copy of the rules today if anyone has questions fire away

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Well, GW and indie stores have had preview copies for a few weeks now. I've already played some games. It's awesome :)

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    Well, GW and indie stores have had preview copies for a few weeks now. I've already played some games. It's awesome :)

I won't be able to make it down tomorrow for a game/ pick up those gondor :( Gotta ton of class work.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2009
    So, it's out today. Anyone get the book/any of the new command stuffs?

My local GW was running a big participation game with eight (yes, eight!) Mumaks vs a bunch of gondor/army of the dead, the only problem being that it was a 6ft wide board and you really really need eighteen inches minimum width per mumakil or they get stupid (it got so bad that the Evil players started shooting at the crew-less mumaks to stop them rampaging...).

Still, managed to kill the witch King with a well-aimed rock, as well as two mumaks with one ent (and archer support), who was promptly declared MVT.

Mr_Rose on
    edited April 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

My local GW was running a big participation game with eight (yes, eight!) Mumaks vs a bunch of gondor/army of the dead, the only problem being that it was a 6ft wide board and you really really need eighteen inches minimum width per mumakil or they get stupid (it got so bad that the Evil players started shooting at the crew-less mumaks to stop them rampaging...).

Still, managed to kill the witch King with a well-aimed rock, as well as two mumaks with one ent (and archer support), who was promptly declared MVT.

Why is that Bad? It sounds exactly like something that would happen.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Why is that Bad? It sounds exactly like something that would happen.

If they'd have had more space they could have been left alone to rampage all over the enemy. Plus one or two Evil players 'forgot' they were supposed to be shooting the crewless ones...:P

Mr_Rose on
    edited April 2009
    I picked the book up and my Morannon Orc command.

I love this book. It's so... full of information.

SJ on