As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Indie Comics Thread: ♪Let's Get Digital, Let's Get Into Digital!♪

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Graphic Violence
I decided to scrap the original intent of this thread and just make it a thread about indie and creator-owned comics. At this point, that's essentially what it's evolved into anyway. So let's do this thing.

This thread is for discussing all things creator owned and independent. Post stuff you like, pimp books that are coming, talk about business models and stuff, talk up your favorite creators doing their own thing. Big 2 and licensed properties should be avoided like the Rage virus.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Post Reserved for Challenge Information

Oh, I forgot to mention that you should be purchasing the most recent issue of whatever title you choose.

CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS - JULY 2009

SINGLE ISSUE
    wwtMask (Drafted: 100 Days One Shot)

ONGOING
    wwtMask (The Unwritten, Incognito, Irredeemable, Atomic Robo: Shadow From Beyond Time)

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

JUNE 2009
    SINGLE ISSUE
    wwtMask (Drafted: 100 Days One Shot)
    Interpreter (Dead Run, Rotten)

ONGOING
    wwtMask (Barack the Barbarian, The Unwritten, Incognito, Irredeemable, Atomic Robo: Shadow From Beyond Time
    Interpreter (Fables, Jack of Fables, The Literals, Air, Madame Xanadu, The Unwritten, Incognito, Irredeemable, The Unknown, Locke&Key, Proof, The Sword, Ignition City, Anna Mercury, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead, Ninja High School)
    sportzboytjw (Irredeemable)
    Interpreter (Chew)

MAY 2009
    SINGLE ISSUE
    wwtMask (Viking #1)

TPB, GRAPHIC NOVEL, MANGA
    wwtMask (Air vol. 1)
    DouglasDanger (Robotika, Popgun vol 1, Scalped vol 4, Gyakushu vol 2)

April 2009
    CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS
    wwtMask (Atomic Robo Shadow From Beyond Time #1)
    Anjin-san (Incognito)
    HadjiQuest
    desc
    sportzboytjw (Irredeemable)
    MAD! (Superhuman Resources, Athena Voltaire)
    Lucascraft

SUGGESTED TITLES (Trades)
    Local
    Scott Pilgrim
    Love and Rockets
    Finder
    Twelve Reasons Why I Love Her
    Blue Pills
    Boneyard

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck it.

I'll finally pick up Incognito by Brubaker and Philips.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Superhero books and hard sci-fi stuff are really my crutch.

I'm in. I'll try to pick up an issue or a trade of something more down to earth or slice of life-y when I go to the shop on Wednesday.

HadjiQuest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Local and Scott Pilgrim are pretty good down to Earth (compared to sci-fi and superheroes) and slice of lifey books.

I've been wanting to read something more romantic myself.

Robos A Go Go on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Local and Scott Pilgrim are pretty good down to Earth (compared to sci-fi and superheroes) and slice of lifey books.

My default answer here would be to check out the Locas stories from Love and Rockets.

edit: also, Finder does some good romantic stuff as well, although it varies from serial to serial

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For romantic comics, I would recommend Twelve Reasons Why I Love Her, but it's pretty hard to find. Blue Pills is a nice little romance comic; a little dour at times due to the subject matter, but overall an optimistic, uplifting little story. I also can't recommend the Boneyard series enough. It's funny, gorgeously illustrated in black and white, and pretty self aware. It gets a little overwrought here or there, but quickly recovers each time and gets back to the romantic comedy that really drives the series.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

My default answer here would be to check out the Locas stories from Love and Rockets.

edit: also, Finder does some good romantic stuff as well, although it varies from serial to serial

This?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2009
    I think next month I'm going to try either Air, Glamourpuss, or Young Liars. The others on deck for me are I Hate Gallant Girl, Elephantmen, and Northlanders.

EDIT: Also, though I really do appreciate the suggestions for trades, I was hoping to focus on new monthlies. It's a little easier to part with $3 for a book you're not sure about.

wwtMask on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

This?

That's a good place to start, yeah - it's the first 15 or 20 years of Maggie & Hopey stories, though there's plenty more besides. Since wwt specifically talked about issues in the OP, I confined myself to books that are still ongoing, which L&R is (albeit occasionally). If we're going the graphic novel route I would also recommend Strangers in Paradise.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I will take this challenge, although I have no idea what I should go get. Maybe I'll just pick up something I've never even heard of.

wwMask -- I picked up the Northlanders vol. 1 tpb last week on a whim. It's not bad, and the end of this book didn't go in the direction I expected at all. No idea where the current issues are in relation to this story, though. And the art is rock-solid, so hey!

I don't even know what to get, because I only really read superhero comics, and a large part of what makes me interested is how the parade of writers and artists over the years have changed iconic superheroes with the times. Every once in a while I flip through something from Image or Dark Horse, but what's the point in reading about superheroes whose titles aren't even older than I am?

Hmm. Someone tell me what to get. I like those Flight anthologies and things like that. Comics which seem like an author wallowing in self-pity over his ex-girlfriend and/or feeling sorry for himself because he's misunderstood are out. I keep trying to get myself to buy Scott Pilgrim because smart people everywhere like it, but then I open an issue and it looks like weeaboo nonsense merged with talking-about-relationship comics. Should I just buy it and stop being a big baby?

I put my fate in your hands, GV.

p.s. If at any point a character wears a t-shirt of or makes reference to a band the author likes, I cannot read it.

desc on
    edited April 2009
    What's the name of that comic that's like an homage to British music?

wwtMask on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    this is an excellent idea, but i already buy more than enough indie comics to satisfy my indie-nerd quota. keep on truckin' though.

mask, that comic is called phonogram.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think next month I'm going to try either Air, Glamourpuss, or Young Liars. The others on deck for me are I Hate Gallant Girl, Elephantmen, and Northlanders.

EDIT: Also, though I really do appreciate the suggestions for trades, I was hoping to focus on new monthlies. It's a little easier to part with $3 for a book you're not sure about.

Personally, I do almost all my indie reading through trades. At about $10 a pop for 6 issues, it's a much better deal than the $20 or so I'd normally spend to get the 'complete story' for most trade arcs. I also get to bea little more choosy with trades sicne the book has survived a few issues without getting cancelled and I can check out some general impressions from people who've read it.

With super hero books, I find I usually get what I expected going in regardless of what the book ends up being about, so can gamble on newer books/concepts. With many indie books, it could be something way out there I wasn't even interested in reading and I feel like I blew money, even if it was only $3. With a trade, if I didn't enjoy it, I at least got that 'full story' feeling with the purchase. That's just my train of thought on indie purchases though.

Personally, I have The Nightly News from Jonathan Hickman (he did it before his current Secret Warriors and DR: Fantastic Four work at Marvel) on the way in trade form for my next big indie purchase. Should get it sometime next week.

KVW on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From what little I've read of Atomic Robo, it's fantastic. If I were to start being a regular reader of comics, that would be the one I'd actually start with.

BloodySloth on
    edited April 2009

Young Liars is very different. I went out on a limb for that one because I heard it was so fucked. I read the first trade, and it was really a hard book to pin. I think I liked it just because I was so offended and sickened by it.

HadjiQuest on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What's the name of that comic that's like an homage to British music?
    Phonogram.

Wildcat on
    edited April 2009
    HadjiQuest and desc, see my earlier post, where I listed about 6 titles that I was thinking about trying in the future. You could also try searching an online retailer like HeavyInk.

wwtMask on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I ordered Irredeemable.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm trying out some of the issues from "Ape"
    Superhuman Resources
    Athena Voltare

And I know how much you all love when I plug CONTRACT but we are doing a Free Comic Book Day issue so that's a great time to try my or any other of those Indy titles out there.
    I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

MAD! on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I might peruse the indie wall at my lcs this week and see if anything catches my eye.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2009
    Added the new challenge participants. Please post your title once you know what it is.

Also, I'm adding a recommendation: The Many Adventures of Miranda Mercury. It had a great first issue and I believe it's relaunching later this year (it was in limbo because ASP had some financial troubles).

wwtMask on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I picked up a ton of Strangers in Paradise issues at the local used bookshop the other day. Also got around to getting the latest Hate Annual. I was going to start delving into the issues 8+ of Berlin but the second collected volume finally came out so hooray, but I suppose that doesn't count.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
    edited April 2009
    I cheated and bought Scott Pilgrim #1, which is not the current issue.

desc on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »
    I cheated and bought Scott Pilgrim #1, which is not the current issue.

with a series like that you have to start at the beginning, though. So you made the right choice.

elevature on
  • DaveDwonchDaveDwonch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been loving Incognito and Atomic Robo has hel my interest for 2 volumes. Y'all should check out Rotten from Moonstone next month and Strongman at SLG. It came out about a month ago and was really cool. Like a Robert Rodriguez flick about Luchadors.

And check out my book!

DaveDwonch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That Strongman comic looks fun.

I would join this, but I am already reading Fear Agent, Incognito, No Hero and... I thought there was something else indy-ish. Maybe not. I much prefer to buy indy type things in trades when I can. I buy a lot of indie stuff in trades, I was buying one or two a month for a while there. I think my next purchase will be Robotikia.

DouglasDanger on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does Ignition City count as indy if Warren Ellis is richer than anyone here? Because that was good.

And yes--you should start Scott Pilgrim with issue one. I do love that book.

KidDork on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You guys should check out Echo by Terry Moore. It's been really good so far, way better than his Runaways stuff

smokmnky on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd love to take part in this, but I haven't had the financial luxury of buying a comic for months, nor will I for months to come.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That Strongman comic looks fun.

I would join this, but I am already reading Fear Agent, Incognito, No Hero and... I thought there was something else indy-ish. Maybe not. I much prefer to buy indy type things in trades when I can. I buy a lot of indie stuff in trades, I was buying one or two a month for a while there. I think my next purchase will be Robotikia.

I read Robotika a while back. The art's really nice, and the characters, while kind of derivative, are still interesting enough. I honestly don't remember much of the story, but the whole thing had a nice post-apocalyptic feel that I found really enjoyable.

Munch on
    edited April 2009
    This is a reminder to the participants who haven't told me their indie titles to get post them. Also, if you've already gotten your indie book for the month, feel free to post your thoughts/reviews, and I'll link to them in the info post.

For May, I think we'll go with a singles challenge and a TPB challenge. Anyone who wants to participate in either challenge should post their acceptance and the title(s) they plan to get. Again, we're trying to get good coverage, so let's each choose a different book, and let us each not choose a book we've already entered in the challenge.

I'm also thinking of a "reading club" type challenge, where we all choose a single title to read and discuss every month. If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, let me know and I'll start a separate challenge or a new thread.

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    I grabbed Scott Pilgrim #1, as mentioned, and my thoughts/reviews are that it's a well-done weeaboo+fighting+relationships comic, but that I'm probably not an indie rock enough person for it. I'm on the fence about getting further issues.

Actually, speaking of indie comics: if anyone is still looking for suggestions, see if your local shop carries Mouse Guard.

desc on
    edited April 2009
    What part of Scott Pilgrim is "weeaboo?"

I'm not really that into any kind of music, and that never hampered my enjoyment of SP. It gets noticeably better with each volume too.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    The art style? I guess it's more on the border of modern stylized-2d animation which draws from Japanese tropes than overtly "weeaboo." The issues printed in manga size and the characters, visually, remind me of the cartoon drawings in Japanese girl fashion magazines. I meant it as an off-hand reduction of his style; it's not actually a bad thing.

There are a lot of indie comics that involve people going to shows, people in bands, characters who wear real/pretend band t-shirts, and so on. I stick Scott Pilgrim in the same mental longbox as things like Jeff Brown's Little Things, where you see him talking about people he knows, going to rock band shows, and so on. This says more about me as a reader than the books themselves, as the books have very different goals.

I may grab issue 2 this week, just not sure. I do think the "ex-girlfriends meet Street Fighter 2" premise is clever and I'm not surprised that so many people read it.

desc on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got Irredeemable today. I'm not sure if it's good or merely another "a good guy goes bad" story. We'll see though. Solid setup so far, just nothing spectacular.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited April 2009
    I grabbed Scott Pilgrim #1, as mentioned, and my thoughts/reviews are that it's a well-done weeaboo+fighting+relationships comic, but that I'm probably not an indie rock enough person for it. I'm on the fence about getting further issues.

Yeah, those are the same reasons that I'm reluctant to read it after read what scans have been posted online.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    If I can't find something this week or next, then my pick by default will be the Free Comic Book Day issue of Love and Rockets.

...maybe.

It's really hard to find anything in singles that's slice of life or romance. Even personal/historical type stuff would be cool. Possibilities are endless for trades, but I am cash-strapped.

HadjiQuest on
    edited April 2009

Yeah, those are the same reasons that I'm reluctant to read it after read what scans have been posted online.

Do you guys live near a large-ish bookstore? You should read it in the store. If you like volume 1, buy it. The whole thing improves with every volume.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    FYI, these are some comics that have begun in the last few months whose first issue you should be able to find without too much trouble. I know I have trouble jumping into a story in the middle, so you might want to give these a spin.

I Hate Gallant Girl
    Viking
    Overlook
    Lillim
    Ignition City
    Zombies of Mass Destruction
    Johnny Monster
    Soul Kiss
    The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft
    Killer of Demons
    Jersey Gods
    Bad Dog
    The Great Unknown

Coming Soon:
    Chew
    The Unwritten

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    What is Viking?

ManonvonSuperock on