As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Tournament - UNC is victorious!

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How many college coaches don't do dirty shit in the recruiting game?

Duffel on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'd heard Calipari mentioned yesterday, and I'm glad he ended up being the one. I'd also heard Tom Izzo's name dropped, which would have been really badass, but developing a good program where he's at and I can't blame him for not wanting to leave, even though I'm sure UK would have offered him $texas.

The advantage Calipari has is he recruits nationally. Memphis' roster has guys from California, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Florida. He was able to pull Dajuan Wagner out of New Jersey and Derrick Rose out of Illinois. He got Chris Douglas-Roberts right out of Michigan - Izzo's backyard.

Michigan State's roster has 2 players who are not from either Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. His past best players? Drew Neitzel, Michigan. Jason Richardson, Michigan. Paul Davis, Michigan.

Frankly, Izzo's success despite only being a regional recruiter is nothing short of amazing. He's taking pretty limited resources and not just competing with the likes of Duke, UConn, and UNC who recruit all 50 states, he's besting them. None of those schools have been to 5 Final Fours in the last 10 years (UNC has 5 in the last 11 years). Izzo's either the best developer of players in the country or the best game coach in the country. Maybe both.

BubbaT on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I'd heard Calipari mentioned yesterday, and I'm glad he ended up being the one. I'd also heard Tom Izzo's name dropped, which would have been really badass, but developing a good program where he's at and I can't blame him for not wanting to leave, even though I'm sure UK would have offered him $texas.

The advantage Calipari has is he recruits nationally. Memphis' roster has guys from California, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Florida. He was able to pull Dajuan Wagner out of New Jersey and Derrick Rose out of Illinois. He got Chris Douglas-Roberts right out of Michigan - Izzo's backyard.

Michigan State's roster has 2 players who are not from either Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. His past best players? Drew Neitzel, Michigan. Jason Richardson, Michigan. Paul Davis, Michigan.

Frankly, Izzo's success despite only being a regional recruiter is nothing short of amazing. He's taking pretty limited resources and not just competing with the likes of Duke, UConn, and UNC who recruit all 50 states, he's besting them. None of those schools have been to 5 Final Fours in the last 10 years (UNC has 5 in the last 11 years). Izzo's either the best developer of players in the country or the best game coach in the country. Maybe both.
    both

Medopine on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Michigan is also a really talent rich state for basketball, which helps his cause.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm glad there'll be no more of this Izzo to UK talk.

Honestly, after the way Tubby got treated, I don't know why a coach would want to coach there.
    I wish I knew how it was that Izzo is able to continually have teams that are good on a down year. I mean, it's either 12 or 13 years now that every senior who has stayed at MSU for 4 years has played in a Final Four. That's just incredible.

Squirrelmob on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I'm reading some of the message boards with the Memphis fans talking about Calipari leaving, and I feel really really sorry for them. They had good reason to be excited about next year, and now....shit.

I mean, as a Kentucky fan, I'm pretty ecstatic given that Calipari will likely be bringing some of the top recruits in the country to UK to pair with Meeks and Patterson, but....shit.

Sucks to be a Memphis fan right now.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought you were a UCLA fan

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, after the way Tubby got treated, I don't know why a coach would want to coach there.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would be the last person to say that they treated Tubby right, though. UK fans are probably the most demanding fanbase in college basketball, and most of the rational people who follow UK were kind of appalled by it.

But, of course, sports isn't always about rationality.

Duffel on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    I thought you were a UCLA fan

Born in Kentucky, went to UCLA for college. So I'm both.

Fortunately, I have to make a decision between the two.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey, cool. Penn State is in the championship of the tournament no one cares about :P

Jragghen on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Hey, cool. Penn State is in the championship of the tournament no one cares about :P
    They were beating the snot out of my Irish when I looked last night. It was ooogly. Glad Penn St made it though. Big 10, woo!

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited April 2009
    Michigan is also a really talent rich state for basketball, which helps his cause.

True, and he's been helped by the lessened state of Michigan basketball in the last decade. But those other elite programs recruit Michigan as well. And they recruit New York, Philly, Los Angeles, Seattle, etc., which Izzo for the most part doesn't. Occassionally Izzo will snag a guy out of Chicago, but that's about the extent of it. Imagine what he could do with a roster like UNC's or UConn's. They might be undefeated right now.

BubbaT on
    edited April 2009
    Cheering Fans, Thrilling NCAA Tournament Disgust BCS Officials

DETROIT—Claiming that determining an unquestioned national champion through a playoff system "went against the very idea of sporting competition," and that the sheer exuberance of college basketball fans was "a shocking and nauseating display of everything wrong with collegiate athletics," top BCS officials roundly condemned the NCAA Tournament Monday.

"I frankly cannot even believe what I'm seeing, and I can't stomach the sight for long," said a pale, trembling Jack Swarbrick, the Notre Dame athletic director who, along with the commissioners of the major conferences, manages the complicated system of polls and computer rankings that make up the Bowl Championship Series in college football. "The elegant logic of actually having teams play one another instead of having a council of their betters select which team is superior to which—that is not what sports is all about."

"And the fans...urgghh...simply enjoy their teams' triumphs or mourn their defeats. Where are the heated arguments? Where are the unsettled disputes that will fester forever?" said Swarbrick, a sheen of feverish sweat curdling on his face. "Oh, God, I think I got vomit on my tie."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/cheering_fans_thrilling_ncaa?utm_source=a-section

Also, after much hub-bub, it appears Tim Floyd is not leaving USC to coach Arizona. I guess that speaks a bit to how far Arizona has fallen, because just 5 years ago it was one of the premier programs in the country. I'm also baffled at their refusal to even consider keeping Russ Pinnell as coach, even after reaching the Sweet 16.

BubbaT on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Im glad that I noticed that the link was from theonion before I went "whaaaaaa?!"

Anyone catch PTI yesterday? Me, being the sucker I am, was incredulous when Mike & Tony started talking about how Pitino said he was interested in the Kentucky job so UK started trying to court him and to renege on giving the job to Calipari. Hehheh, then they went crazy with confetti and whatnot and went "APRIL FOOLS!" :x

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited April 2009
    Im glad that I noticed that the link was from theonion before I went "whaaaaaa?!"

Anyone catch PTI yesterday? Me, being the sucker I am, was incredulous when Mike & Tony started talking about how Pitino said he was interested in the Kentucky job so UK started trying to court him and to renege on giving the job to Calipari. Hehheh, then they went crazy with confetti and whatnot and went "APRIL FOOLS!" :x
    It's not even that great of a joke, though. Pitino is so hated in Lexington he can't even watch the racehorses he owns there anymore. There's no way he'll ever be back at UK. The moon will fall, Majora's Mask-style, before that happens.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Watching the PSU/Baylor game.

The crowd is making this sound like a home game for Penn State. I suppose they've got significantly less distance to travel, but it's really loud.

Jragghen on
    edited April 2009

It's not even that great of a joke, though. Pitino is so hated in Lexington he can't even watch the racehorses he owns there anymore. There's no way he'll ever be back at UK. The moon will fall, Majora's Mask-style, before that happens.
    I disagree. UK fans are fickle. If he comes back to UK, all will be forgiven.

I think it's pretty stupid how much people hate him, though. He's arguably the second best coach UK has ever had.

That being said, he shouldn't have gone to Louisville. :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited April 2009
    I disagree. UK fans are fickle. If he comes back to UK, all will be forgiven.

I think it's pretty stupid how much people hate him, though. He's arguably the second best coach UK has ever had.

That being said, he shouldn't have gone to Louisville. :P
    Well, that's the thing. People don't just hate him because he went to Louisville (and really, where else could he have gone that would have been worse? Indiana? Duke?), but because of his prima donna act his last couple of years at UK, where he basically demanded a fat raise at the end of every season by passive-aggressively "considering" going to coach in the NBA.

Still, you're right - there's a lot of people in Kentucky that would gladly have him back. I've been hearing them say as much since 1996 or whenever it was. But it would be the source of many a barroom brawl.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Well, considering he won the NCAA championship his second to last year, would have probably won the NCAA championship his last year if Derek Anderson hadn't been injured, and Tubby won the NCAA championship with his players the year after he left, I think he probably deserved the raise. :P

But yeah, about the only place he could have gone to that would be worse than Louisville would have been Duke.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited April 2009
    PENN STATE WINS MENS BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT that no one cares about

Jragghen on
    edited April 2009
    Big Ten basketball, bitches!

enlightenedbum on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It will be fun when the Big Ten end up winning both Tournaments.

Topweasel on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bump for semifinal goodness.

To remind everyone of the bracket pool implications, here again is the list of all eight possible final scenarios, along with the corresponding winner of the bracket pool:

MICHIGAN STATE OVER VILLANOVA: VH's Bracket (visiblehowl)
    VILLANOVA OVER MICHIGAN STATE: VH's Bracket (visiblehowl)
    MICHIGAN STATE OVER NORTH CAROLINA: VH's Bracket (visiblehowl)
    NORTH CAROLINA OVER MICHIGAN STATE: VH's Bracket (visiblehowl)
    CONNECTICUT OVER VILLANOVA: Bracket's Edge (Gosling)
    VILLANOVA OVER CONNECTICUT: Bracket's Edge (Gosling)
    CONNECTICUT OVER NORTH CAROLINA: Bracket's Edge (Gosling)
    NORTH CAROLINA OVER CONNECTICUT: Buzzer Beater (Ringo)

Basically, unless the final is Connecticut/North Carolina, we'll know our winner tonight.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    13:26 left in the 1st and Michigan State has 5 fouls already. Criminy. That'll get you killed on the foul line.

EDIT: Make that 6.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited April 2009
    I don't particularly like Nantz but maybe that was because of the taint of Billy Packer. This is a much more enjoyable viewing experience than I've grown accustomed to at the Final Four.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    Well, they have the lead at the half, but all that foul trouble the Spartans got themselves into is really going to put them in a delicate position in the late stages when they get forced to shuffle people in and out.

Gosling on
    edited April 2009
    State plays a ton of people, it won't be a significant problem.

I find it amusing that if Adrien's swing connects he's tossed but because he missed the fact that he intended to punch a guy is OK.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    This has been a good game.

visiblehowl, I think you've got the pool. Congrats.

Gosling on
    edited April 2009
    Weak conference, my ass.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    izzzooooooo

Medopine on
    edited April 2009
    go nova

Medopine on
    edited April 2009
    So what'd visiblehowl win, anyway?

Gosling on
    edited April 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    So what'd visiblehowl win, anyway?

it's a SURPRISE

Medopine on
    edited April 2009
    For my work pool, I win so long as NC makes the finals now.

As such, despite my having NC winning everything, I'm rooting for Michigan State to win it all over NC, just so we can have a Big Ten team win, too :)

Edit: Speaking of which, where the hell is your guys' brackets at, anyway? I forgot to join, and I wonder how I'd rank up :P Currently have 98 with a ceiling of 146

Jragghen on
    edited April 2009
    Go Nova because I've seen MSU/UNC at Ford Field this year and it took about 12 minutes before I gave up on that game.

enlightenedbum on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would be so deliciously thrilled at a Nova/MSU game.

I will SO DANCE ON PEOPLE'S HEADS!!!

at work.

There will be dancing!

And it will be on their heads.

HEADS!

Also, awesome damned good game MSU. Damned good game.

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2009
    And remember, this is only the semifinals. Then comes the finals, and then the super finals.

And if you don't know what the super finals are, well, I guess I've said too much already.

Gosling on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm still allowed to dance on peoples heads though, right Gosling?

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2009
    I'm still allowed to dance on peoples heads though, right Gosling?
    As long as I get to pick the head. Do Tony LaRussa. Never liked him after he flipped me off when I asked him for an autograph.

Gosling on
    edited April 2009
    You got it, Gos.

Although I was more thinking one of my Assistant Mgrs.....

lonelyahava on