As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voice Chat - yet more options

jiehajieha Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
A friend introduced me to a voice chat thing called Voxli while we were playign dota the other day. It worked pretty well (the one cool thing is it works in a web browser so you don't have to set up a server).

I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or tried it for a guild? It's free right now so I was thinking of switching my guild over from vent but don't want it to suck =P

playing: WoW, Resident Evil 5, Starcraft!
jieha on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seems pretty cool. But Flash has very limited access to microphones so I can't imagine the sound quality really stays top notch, to say nothing of options like vent has for individually controlling volumes, etc.

It's a great idea, but I am forced to be skeptical until you can 25 people in the room at the same and not have it blow your computer to hell.

Flash eats CPU's to pieces, one of the primary reasons it's not on the iPhone.

Jasconius on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2009
    Flash can also kill your FPS if you are running a multi monitor setup.

Unknown User on
  • jiehajieha Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    whoa i asked in their feedback form whether this was for guilds and actually got a response:

"Hi!

Thanks for trying Voxli, and I'm glad you found it useful for dota (hopefully Voxli made you beyond godlike)! To answer your question, Voxli is absolutely for larger guilds - in fact, we scale to handle up to 200 people. Our browser plugin gives us better voice quality than anything Flash can provide, and push to talk works. We've done tests and we have a smaller memory footprint than Ventrilo or TeamSpeak assuming your browser is open. Check it out, and email me anytime!

Best,
    Andrew"

jieha on
    edited April 2009
    Cool. Didn't see the plugin part. That makes more sense.

Jasconius on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think habit will make it too difficult to make this usurp Ventrilo.

Typically, a new application that does the same role only usurps a previous competitor if the previous one has something very wrong with it, or otherwise sub-par...otherwise, the incentive to switch just isn't there.

Dhalphir on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not to mention the idea that having my firefox open for communication instead of ventrillo uses less memory/cpu/etc sounds... well, I'd need proof.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It might have a smaller footprint on its own, but coupled with the browser usage I don't see that being a very good thing. Not to mention, browsers can eat up a good 20-60 megs of ram, and vent uses like 5.

Soooooooooo yeah. I wish them luck though!

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited April 2009
    what kind of computers are people using where they have so little ram having a browser open while gaming is a critical decision?

I thought we departed from that circa 2001.

;)

Jasconius on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ....:xD::(:cry:

I only got 512 RAM.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    huh, this is a pretty simple set up. Its not ... awful. But good luck pulling people from vent.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    I can't speak of other browsers, but isn't Chrome with one tab open taking up less than Firefox with one tab open?

EDIT: The answer is a resounding "Yes."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying we don't have the RAM for it, I'm just saying the footprint isn't as small as it is being made out to be.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seems cool if you don't have a server available for vent/ts.

chasehatesbears on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying we don't have the RAM for it, I'm just saying the footprint isn't as small as it is being made out to be.
    Read what they say again.
    We've done tests and we have a smaller memory footprint than Ventrilo or TeamSpeak assuming your browser is open.
    Which is true for a lot of people. Especially in MMOs where it's handy to look up a wonky quest.

Glal on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yeah, I don't know anyone who plays WoW without at least one browser window open

edit: presuming your computer can handle alt tabbing

Dhalphir on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I can't speak of other browsers, but isn't Chrome with one tab open taking up less than Firefox with one tab open?

EDIT: The answer is a resounding "Yes."

it doesn't work in google chrome. sadly.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • jiehajieha Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    just to report back I did switch my guild over to Voxli, and it works pretty well so far. I'll let you guys know if things break...

jieha on
  • NijiNiji Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for letting me know about this program. So far it is working well for me. I always have my browser open anyways, so it's a lot less trouble than hosting a vent server for my friends.

Niji on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It might be a little easier to tear people away from vent because of the size and because that people have to do whatever their guildleaders make them do as far as comms go.

Or the guild leader thing might make it harder. What I'm saying here is onjecture conjecture conjecture!

piL on