As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Gear Raiden? See Page 85 (Previously the MGS4 Thread)

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I want either a new guy or The Boss in her prime. I'd actually prefer that because I like the idea of having basically not futuristic technology, like how it was in MGS3.

The Cobra Unit.

WWII.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, KONAMI!

Medal of Honor meets MGS.

I'm so fucking hard and it doesn't even exist yet.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Boss was pregnant at the time, and the Cobra Unit was pretty retarded apart from her and The End. Unless you sickos want some c-section mini-game, I don't think it's that good a setting.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It can be a year or so before Ocelot gets born. And the COBRAs would probably be a little less crazy.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It can be a year or so before Ocelot gets born. And the COBRAs would probably be a little less crazy.

Back when the Pain was just the Itch.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

And the Fury was just the Mildly Annoyed.

Archonex on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

And The Fear was just The Panic.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

And The Sorrow was just The Kinda Down.

yalborap on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

And The End was just The Middle.

Igort on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Igort wrote: »

And the Boss was just Assistant to the Regional Manager.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

And the Joy was just The Pleased.

never die on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can... can I report that for awesome?

EDIT: Not enough posts, nvm ;(

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In other Metal Gear news, Peachi finished the final part of Let's Destroy the Shagohod today.

It's somewhat on-topic because it includes a scene during WWII with the Cobra Unit and a younger Boss, as well as the origin of the name Big Boss:
    gentlemen.jpg

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's on topic because it is fuck amazing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

So. Full. Of. Win.

Fawst on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you ever seen Dracula?
    I guess now you can only see half of it!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, this is as good a place to ask as any I suppose.

I'd like to play through the MGS series because so many people seem to love it. Is there any way to do so without a PS2? I know that there's a PS1 game, which I could play on PS3, but what about 2&3? MGS2: Substance is on the Xbox, but wikipedia won't tell me if it's compatible wth the 360. Twin snakes is on Gamecube, but I don't know if that's 2, 3, or a spinoff.

Worst case scenario I'll try to get a 60GB PS3, but I hear that not all PS2 games work properly. Does anyone here know if the MGS games do?

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'd like to play through the MGS series because so many people seem to love it. Is there any way to do so without a PS2? I know that there's a PS1 game, which I could play on PS3, but what about 2&3? MGS2: Substance is on the Xbox, but wikipedia won't tell me if it's compatible wth the 360. Twin snakes is on Gamecube, but I don't know if that's 2, 3, or a spinoff.

Worst case scenario I'll try to get a 60GB PS3, but I hear that not all PS2 games work properly. Does anyone here know if the MGS games do?

The Backwards Compatibility Status list on Playstation's website says that any issues with playing MGS 2&3 has been corrected with the 20/60 gig models through firmware updates. I'm pretty sure most people would tell you to take that with a grain of salt, but the list hasn't steered me wrong yet. (on my early 80 gig)

Twin Snakes is a GameCube exclusive remake (re-imaging?) of MGS1. Uses more or less MGS2's gameplay but I can't say anything for the story. I assume it's largely unchanged, but I wouldn't know for sure.

MGS3 was PS2 exclusive, though. So a 20/60 gig PS3 or a PS2 is in order if you really want to play through all of them.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

The Backwards Compatibility Status list on Playstation's website says that any issues with playing MGS 2&3 has been corrected with the 20/60 gig models through firmware updates. I'm pretty sure most people would tell you to take that with a grain of salt, but the list hasn't steered me wrong yet. (on my early 80 gig)

Twin Snakes is a GameCube exclusive remake (re-imaging?) of MGS1. Uses more or less MGS2's gameplay but I can't say anything for the story. I assume it's largely unchanged, but I wouldn't know for sure.

MGS3 was PS2 exclusive, though. So a 20/60 gig PS3 or a PS2 is in order if you really want to play through all of them.

So I could get Twin Snakes instead of the PS1 game? Would you recommend either of them over the other? I think I'd prefer Twin Snakes because it would be prettier, but I'd like to know if it's thought of as a good remake or not.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

So I could get Twin Snakes instead of the PS1 game? Would you recommend either of them over the other? I think I'd prefer Twin Snakes because it would be prettier, but I'd like to know if it's thought of as a good remake or not.

That's a dangerous question. There's been plenty of debate about that topic. Concerns with Twin Snakes has been voice acting (not bad, but many who have played the original hate the TS's VA), over the top cutscenes and easy gameplay due to the inclusion of MGS2's first person mode. Concerns with the original include not holding up very well graphically. You should be able to find either for cheap, and get go wrong with either imho.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited April 2009

That's a dangerous question. There's been plenty of debate about that topic. Concerns with Twin Snakes has been voice acting (not bad, but many who have played the original hate the TS's VA), over the top cutscenes and easy gameplay due to the inclusion of MGS2's first person mode. Concerns with the original include not holding up very well graphically. You should be able to find either for cheap, and get go wrong with either imho.

Well, I can't find the Gamecube version for a decent price, so I might go for the original.

One other question: EBGames has MGS2: sons of liberty, and MGS2: substance. It also has MGS3: snake eater, and MGS3: subsistance. Why does each number have two different subtitles? Should I be getting both subtitles for each number, or is one superior to the other?

Thanks for the help.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well, I can't find the Gamecube version for a decent price, so I might go for the original.

One other question: EBGames has MGS2: sons of liberty, and MGS2: substance. It also has MGS3: snake eater, and MGS3: subsistance. Why does each number have two different subtitles? Should I be getting both subtitles for each number, or is one superior to the other?

Thanks for the help.

substance and subsistence are the special editions of 2 and 3 that were released after 2 and 3 were available for awhile. They include a lot of extras. substance has VR training missions and a skateboarding minigame. Subsistence has a camera angle that actually makes the game playable, a bunch of minigames (ape escape!), the 2 original metal gear msx games (!!) and (before the servers got shut down) metal gear online. You can play MGO on the ps3 with mgs4 so that's not a big draw anymore, but the other extras in subsistence make it so much more valuable than the original mgs3.

Both mgs2 and mgs2: substance are widely available and cheap. I've also heard that the xbox port of substance is shitty, but I've never played it so I can't verify.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Subsistence has a camera angle that actually makes the game playable, a bunch of minigames (ape escape!), the 2 original metal gear msx games (!!)

By that, do you mean the metal gear games before the 'solid' was added to the end? Because I've always wanted to play those...

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Subsistence has a camera angle that actually makes the game playable, a bunch of minigames (ape escape!), the 2 original metal gear msx games (!!)

By that, do you mean the metal gear games before the 'solid' was added to the end? Because I've always wanted to play those...

Yes, and by metal gears before solid I don't mean the ones on the NES. The first was raped by Nintendo of America and the second one wasn't even made by Hideo Kojima. The ones on the subsistence disk are the original games Kojima made for the msx2 computer. You'll appreciate having them when you see all the references to them in MGS1.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm having a little trouble finding these in Australia, EBay has them from $100-500 each. I've heard that PS3 games are region-free, does anyone know if I could play American PS2 games on an Aus 60GB PS3?

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You are right in that PS3 games are region free. PS2 games are not (on either the ps2 or ps3).

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MED10326.jpg

Related enough to post. Medicom is making more 7inch figures.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=417&category=4090

They look great. You can preorder them.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Why is Raiden the Magical Ginger?

Did I...Did I miss something?

(I would buy the hell out of that Big Boss, though.)

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why is Raiden the Magical Ginger?

Did I...Did I miss something?

His dome/hat thing is tinted orange. His hair is still white/blond.

On another note: Oh shit, The Boss. I may have to purchase.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I would buy the hell out of that Big Boss, though.)

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Thats the Boss? Jesus, I thought it was Liquid, they made her butch.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I own Snake Eater but I always wanted to play the original Metal Gear games. Is picking up a copy of Subsistence worth it?

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thats the Boss? Jesus, I thought it was Liquid, they made her butch.
    She's a pretty well built woman in the game. Don't really have a good picture to show. But she's fairly broad shouldered in the game.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah but that models built like a tree trunk.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I own Snake Eater but I always wanted to play the original Metal Gear games. Is picking up a copy of Subsistence worth it?

Yes, but also for the additions to the original game (mostly the free camera).

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think its the jaw that makes her look really manly to me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I only recently got introduced to hiimdaisy's Metal Gear comics. When I have time I'm going to crop me a banner <3

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

I still haven't gotten around to MGS 4 yet even though I've owned it since last August. I finally beat Snake Eater around May 2007. Not sure that I'll ever play through 3 again.

Though I do love the intro song.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man I wish I could play MGS 2 and 3 on my PS3..... stupid not all PS3s being back-compat...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

I still haven't gotten around to MGS 4 yet even though I've owned it since last August. I finally beat Snake Eater around May 2007. Not sure that I'll ever play through 3 again.

Though I do love the intro song.

In that case, I'd say it really depends whether it's worth it for you or not. I personally found playing the MSX games pretty fascinating. I doubt you'd have much actual fun nowadays with the first Metal Gear, just because we've come so freakishly far that it's just nothing. As a historical piece on the series, it was really cool to play, though. The 2nd one is pretty cool, though. Again, it's pretty damned dated, but it is insanely fascinating to see just where a ton of stuff in the series comes from. A lot of the plot points and things are brought back in MGS, and it basically feels like an old MGS. So, if you can find Subsistence for cheap it's really not a horrible purchase just for the MSX games if you do love the series. Personally, I played through the entire series in timeline order before MGS4 came out and that really added a ton to my appreciation of 4 and the whole series in general.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg