As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In Search Of... Old Arcade Game

LorkLork Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
There was this old arcade game that I played on a ferry back in the mid 90s. It was a linear action platformer where you're short, stocky knight in blue or grey armour - it vaguely reminded me of the action segments of Keith Courage in Alpha Zone. I think you went left instead of right as well, but I'm not sure.

It had roughly SNES level graphics.

Another thing, which sets it apart from most arcade games; it was long. Even though the machine was broken and permanently set to free play, and I had a full day to play it on and off (taking turns) we still never managed to beat it.

Does any of that sound familiar? I know it's pretty vague, but G&T does have a reputation, after all.

Steam Profile: Lork
Lork on

• WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like Ghosts n' Goblins with the exception of that left instead of right thing.

Werewulfy on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    Sounds like Ghosts n' Goblins with the exception of that left instead of right thing.

Yeah really sounds like GnG. Are you absolutely sure it was left scrolling?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's not GnG.

I'm pretty sure you could take more than 2 hits and survive; either that or 1 hit killed you and I just jammed the start button. I'm almost positively sure that you didn't lose your armour when you were hit. The environments were decidedly un-graveyardish, too.

I'm not too sure about the left scrolling thing, so don't let it rule anything out.

Lork on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For some reason, it's reminding me of a Genesis game. All I can remember is a knight and a princess on the cover, and they both have their mouths open (I think). And either the knight or his large dragon behind him are yellow. I searched for dragon and knight on GameFAQs, but got nothing.

Lots of Genesis games were arcade too, so I thought maybe it went from one to the other...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I know which one you're talking about; it's not straight 2-d; it's vaguely 3-d esque.

Dammit. I don't remember the name.

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    NES%20Kings%20Knight.jpg

Nevermind, I was thinking of this NES game. Played it a lot at my friends' house. It's awesome.

But I'm very anxious to learn what this mystery game is...!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Trojan, maybe? Thats my best guess. It was also made by Capcom, and has been compared to GnG many times. But it goes left to right.

trojan1.gif

BiggNife on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    Trojan, maybe? Thats my best guess. It was also made by Capcom, and has been compared to GnG many times. But it goes left to right.

trojan1.gif
    I don't remember it being very long. It's also post-apocalyptic and not standard fantasy fair. I would imagine that would be a stand out thing.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    NES%20Kings%20Knight.jpg

Nevermind, I was thinking of this NES game. Played it a lot at my friends' house. It's awesome.

But I'm very anxious to learn what this mystery game is...!

It was right-scrolling, I believe. Good sound fx too.

Squashua on
    edited February 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »

trojan1.gif
    I'm pretty sure that the player was fully encased in armour and very stocky. The backgrounds don't look right either; the setting was very different, I think, and I'm 100% sure it didn't have that isometric tilt.
    The arcade version supported two players, but only by way of alternating gameplay.
    This sounds very familiar though.

Edit: I think you started in a cave and eventually moved outside, where the sun was setting and you walked on these Donkey Kongish girders - don't consider that last part law though.

Lork on
    edited February 2007
    ESWAT? No, you were a stocky guy in armor with a gun...

Rocket Knight Adventures? No, that's short possum in armor with rockets...

Do you remember what his weapon was? Powerups? Style of enemies? Joystick with two buttons?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't think I've ever heard of any platformer where you go to the left instead of to the right.

Maybe you're dyslexic, or your long-term memory is.

Captain K on
    edited February 2007
    ESWAT? No, you were a stocky guy in armor with a gun...

Rocket Knight Adventures? No, that's short possum in armor with rockets...

Do you remember what his weapon was? Powerups? Style of enemies? Joystick with two buttons?
    I don't remember anything at all about the enemies other than that one of the bosses was a dragon that shot fireballs at you, and you fought it from the right. That level might've been the only one to be like that; who knows. I think one of the powerups was a potion in a florence flask. The powerups were semi permanent in that the only way to lose them was to get hit/die, I think. That's it.

The game had a very dark pallete; you were always in a cave or a poorly lit room or outside at night or something. I think that should help.

Lork on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Uh... what weapon did you wield? A sword?

The Sneak! on
    edited February 2007
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Uh... what weapon did you wield? A sword?
    It might've been a sword or an axe, or maybe both. My memory of the period is pretty sketchy, as you might've noticed.

Lork on
    edited February 2007
    Astyanax.png

?

Or, for the arcade version...

225px-The_Astyanax.png

Note that in the screenshot, you can see he has a life bar. More than one hit. There's also a spot for a powerup. And he's facing left (though the screen might not be scrolling left).

Or maybe it's all a coincidence...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited February 2007
    Astyanax

?

Or, for the arcade version...

Astyanax

Note that in the screenshot, you can see he has a life bar. More than one hit. There's also a spot for a powerup. And he's facing left (though the screen might not be scrolling left).

Or maybe it's all a coincidence...
    That's not it.

Lork on
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could you be different characters?

Dee Kae on
    edited February 2007
    Could you be different characters?
    No. Although I think there was a 2 player hotseat mode that allowed the second player to play as a slightly differently coloured version of the player 1 character.

Lork on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could it be Mega Twins? Nevermind, you said it had a dark palette.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2007
    http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=detail&id=267

Is that is? I actually came to that second, after this one. http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=detail&id=593

Dark, scrolls in lots of directions, really long. And I see a powerup that looks like a potion. Grey armor.

Actually, looks more like this version...!! http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=detail&id=262

Well, any of those?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited February 2007
    http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=detail&id=267

Is that is? I actually came to that second, after this one. http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=detail&id=593

Dark, scrolls in lots of directions, really long. And I see a powerup that looks like a potion. Grey armor.

Actually, looks more like this version...!! http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=detail&id=262

Well, any of those?
    Nope, but you're getting close. Black Tiger/Dragon looks like it has a very similar platforming style to the mystery game although I don't think you went in multiple directions in the same level. Although I think the combat was pretty simple; not like something Capcom would make.

Now that I've thought about a while, I think the graphics might have actually been sub-Genesis level, but the darkness and other techniques were used to hide it well - sort of like Faxanadu. I know for sure that the sprites were reasonably large, so it wasn't like a NES game or anything like that.

Lork on
    edited February 2007
    I've been looking all around, but I've got nothing else that sounds appropriate.

I'm surprised nobody else is piping up. Like you said earlier, I thought G&T had a rep for figuring these things out in just a few minutes.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been looking all around, but I've got nothing else that sounds appropriate.

I'm surprised nobody else is piping up. Like you said earlier, I thought G&T had a rep for figuring these things out in just a few minutes.

They do when such games exist.

There has got to be some flaw in your information, as it has been an entire day since this thread began and so far nothing has come close.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2007
    Wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Sword is similar to Black Tiger/Dragon. I remember it being a fun game. No dark armor, though.

I doubt it is Wardner, but those screenshots are hilarious. http://www.solvalou.com/subpage/arcade_reviews/77/392/wardner_review.html

Random game I don't think is it, but with a very large character, dark background, armor, and fairly bad graphics. http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7950

There's a Nintendo game that sounds very familiar...I don't know if there's an arcade version of it, though. I do know that in the very first stage, you're underground in a castle with guys in grey armor with swords. You have to walk *LEFT* to get to the boss of that level, a dragon that spits fire. http://www.everyvideogame.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=22443

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The first thing that came to mind for me was Wizards and Warriors:

wizards-and-warriors.gif

waw-2.jpg

Eh? EH?

JLM-AWP on
    edited February 2007
    Hmm...grey armor, powerup spots, life bar. I do vaugely remember a potion of some sort too. And you're in a cave at least a few times. Any arcade version of it...?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This sounds a lot like Trojan to me (a Capcom arcade game ported to several platforms). Magic Sword was the first game I thought of but I don't think that's it. Gladiator only scrolls right so that's out.

It also could have been the arcade-only game Legend of Makai. Or possibly Castle of Dragon.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hmm...grey armor, powerup spots, life bar. I do vaugely remember a potion of some sort too. And you're in a cave at least a few times. Any arcade version of it...?

How about listening to some of the music. For some reason, this game's music has stuck with me as much as Contra or Castlevania.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/index-sz.html

Just scroll down.

JLM-AWP on
    edited February 2007
    I have W&W so I can hear the music whenever I want! :D

And I think he already said no to Trojan. I'm going to go look for pics of those other two...I don't think I've heard of them.

Maybe it was one of those arcades hooked up to an NES? A video store I used to go to had one of those.

Edit : Both of those do seem to fit several of the requirements...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited February 2007
    W&W fits so well that it's very tempting to go with it, but I'm almost completely sure that the level design was linear, not open ended. Hell, I think it might not have even been possible to go back the way you came.

Lork on
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    W&W fits so well that it's very tempting to go with it, but I'm almost completely sure that the level design was linear, not open ended. Hell, I think it might not have even been possible to go back the way you came.

Uh, that fits Wizards and Warriors completely now. ;3

Dee Kae on
  • BrigadeBrigade Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When I first read your description it reminded me of Rastan Saga. The guy’s not really a knight, nor is he short and stocky. But, he does have blue underwear and a sword or axe. You would go right mostly (although you could go backwards depending on the area) and occasionally enter a cave or other area.

It was mainly a side scrolling platformer where you would jump on platforms, swing from ropes, and get a powerful axe that you could use for a short time.

Rastan_saga_ss.PNG

Brigade on
  • PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I may be way off the mark here, but its not Altered Beast is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Beast

I say that because im sure you could go leftwards at the very beginning of the game.

Ponge on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Did Wizards and Warriors even have an arcade version?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited February 2007
    It'd be really sad if it ended up being W&W all along.

I think the first one was a platformer, but the sequels were all more exploration. Right?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • jasongrvinjasongrvin Registered User new member
    I just helped a buddy of mine find a game that's exactly like what you're talking about. He said it was Astyanax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n13trK9t2g

I know this is an old thread, but still.

• adracamasadracamas Registered User new member
    Sorry for the tread rez, but I was looking for something of the same.. I remember it being a scrolling game that was kinda like a platformer but instead of scrolling left or right it was up and down. I think it was 2 player but not positive. I distinctly remember the hero (player) using a sort of whip that you could upgrade and at the end of the whip would be like an axe blade or something.
    I used to pour all my moneys into that game. Sounds about right for the time frame too. I just can not remember the name of the game.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Whip with an axe blade sounds like Rygar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPuqr_aZZC8

• adracamasadracamas Registered User new member
    I know Rygar and it's not that. the character (hero) seemed more compact and mobile than that. Had a MetroidVania feel to it almost but the levels were linear. Items were hidden in the walls kinda like castlevania was, I think he had a super but can't remember (this was 25+ years ago) I want to say dragons were involved but not sure. This game seems to be pretty darn obscure because I haven't seen it anywhere but that one pizza place.