As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ignorance is Bliss

• cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so I know it's terrifically off-topic, but does anyone know who the first person ever to be hit by a train was?

I know there has to have been someone who was the first, but I can't find it with google

Lots of respectable people been hit by trains! Judge Hobie over in Cookville was hit by a train!

this deserves recognition.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Penguin, what if your mother is not really your mother and her sister is really your mother?

i know this is from the first page but i would like to say that i know someone who was raised by her sister, who told everyone that she was the mother, because their actual mother was a raging whore and had to hide her pregnancy for some reason that i forget

Australia really is a Mad Max hellscape isn't it?

Wish I lived there with every bone in my body

The_Scarab on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In my Religion class I have to give a creative project on the search for meaning in life.

What the fuck does that even mean? What did I get myself into!? It is times like these I wish I decided to live with my parents and flip burgers

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just do a film montage of things like people testing new inventions or challenging old societal conventions, set it to music, throw in a few well times voice-quotes from people like Dr. King or Ghandi and collect your easy A.

Weaver on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    what is a creative project?

can you write a haiku?

they're easy

#pipe on
    edited April 2009
    I cannot write a haiku.

Syllables, hard to count.

Woe is me.

Weaver on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    I cannot write a

haiku Syllables, hard to

count Woe is me, bitch.

fixed.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited April 2009
    He told me to do a "video mashup" of a bunch of people like Zizek, Pamuk, Derrida, etc speaking on the subject.

He thinks that is creative so I'll exploit it. But how incredibly broad a topic I was given

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i once got an A in college lit for

To sate my hunger
    today I had roast pork, oh
    what a tasty meal

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    He told me to do a "video mashup" of a bunch of people like Zizek, Pamuk, Derrida, etc speaking on the subject.

He thinks that is creative so I'll exploit it. But how incredibly broad a topic I was given

So, he views creative as taking a bunch of things from other people and remixing them into something else, and calling it new?

Clearly, he must love rap music.

Tox on
    edited April 2009
    I get unearthly joys from writing terrible haiku

The example he used for a good creative project was an audio file of some indian music then some rolling stones then George Bush saying some stupid stuff and that was it. Everyone in class thought it was really great but I don't think we were on the same wavelengths about the goal of the class

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Tox wrote: »

So, he views creative as taking a bunch of things from other people and remixing them into something else, and calling it new?

Clearly, he must love rap music.
    :?

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009

The example he used for a good creative project was an audio file of some indian music then some rolling stones then George Bush saying some stupid stuff and that was it. Everyone in class thought it was really great but I don't think we were on the same wavelengths about the goal of the class

I mean, that can be really emotionally evocative, and that's great and all, but....creative? No. Creative, for me, inherently requires new content. Or at least non-sampled content. If you happen to say something that someone else said, or if you use a quote here or there to help punctuate a point, that's one thing, but that's not the same thing, to me.

Tox on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that sounds retarded, feet

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited April 2009

I mean, that can be really emotionally evocative, and that's great and all, but....creative? No. Creative, for me, inherently requires new content. Or at least non-sampled content. If you happen to say something that someone else said, or if you use a quote here or there to help punctuate a point, that's one thing, but that's not the same thing, to me.

Hook up with a buddy that has a camcorder and draft out a short film where one of you films the other going around to different shops/eateries around town, trying out something new each time, until finally the subject finds the item/whatever that makes him happy. Add soundtrack.

Weaver on
    edited April 2009

i suggest watching this

http://www3.nfb.ca/webextension/rip-a-remix-manifesto/

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009
    Like you have the guy go into a record store, and asks the clerk for a suggestion for music that conveys a certain set of emotions, but the guy doesn't like any of them, they're just not right, so he goes on to the next place, continuing his search

Weaver on
    edited April 2009

Yeah I'm going to just do this anyway because that is just how I am used to doing things.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    That's it I'm starting a new show on Fox.

America's Next Top Viral Marketing Video Director

Weaver on
    edited April 2009
    re-re-remix

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Like you have the guy go into a record store, and asks the clerk for a suggestion for music that conveys a certain set of emotions, but the guy doesn't like any of them, they're just not right, so he goes on to the next place, continuing his search

This has a certain, subtle beauty to it. I actually kind of like that idea, and think it speaks more to the point than a "montage"

Tox on
    edited April 2009
    Whatever you go with, good luck

Weaver on
    edited April 2009
    I am liking Weaver's ideas but to really go for the A the person serving me the bad stuff would have be George Bush until I finally find Obama's eatery. Go Religion 20: Comparative Religion

Guitar Solo

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    nah

the bad stuff would be served by the pope

and the good stuff by a heavily tattooed and very cute girl baker

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009
    I also think I can just say I made this video and show it to the class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-TBbHg2Sc&feature=related

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    i burst out laughing at the orca photo

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    nah

stranger.jpg

?

#pipe on
    edited April 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    nah

stranger.jpg

?
    exactly

humphumphump on the flour table

Faricazy on
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TAX MAN

Darkness Mundus on
    edited April 2009
    I love that movie

he brought her Flours

so cute

#pipe on
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Swear to god I didn't get that until the second time. Though the first time I was like "why are they all in brown sacks"

Darkness Mundus on
    edited April 2009
    Swear to god I didn't get that until the second time. Though the first time I was like "why are they all in brown sacks"
    wow

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009
    nah

stranger.jpg

?
    exactly

She'd make a great secretary

Tox on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cadmunky wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so I know it's terrifically off-topic, but does anyone know who the first person ever to be hit by a train was?

I know there has to have been someone who was the first, but I can't find it with google

Lots of respectable people been hit by trains! Judge Hobie over in Cookville was hit by a train!

this deserves recognition.

I'm the God-Damned Pater Familias!

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    nah

stranger.jpg

?
    exactly

She'd make a great secretary

Secretary is either the perfect date movie or the worst, depending on the person you are with.

The_Scarab on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maggie Gyllenhaal is so great

and Stranger Than Fiction is such a good movie

Centipede Damascus on
  • GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love that movie.

Graves on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Penguin, what if your mother is not really your mother and her sister is really your mother?
    shesoscar

dot com

SithDrummer on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't get that until right now.

Penguin Incarnate on