As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles - discussion of the anime also welcome

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It would only have looked "weird" in the sense that it wouldn't look like every other anime show out there.

Also, the inflation of the every other set of boobs diminishes the greatness of Selvaria's. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well whatever, there are not nearly enough military animehs these days so this is a welcome addition.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Heh, this is what I get for being absent too long! ;3

...So... Anyone seen the first episode?

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jann.jpg

oh jann, you so gay

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ForxForx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Got this for Christmas and have only just got everything sorted in my new place, but looking forward to getting started on it as soon as I can pry Disgaea 3 from the clutches of my PS3.

Forx on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So am I the only one hoping for a EWI prequel with:
    Largo, Eleanor, and Fredrick?

gjaustin on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forx wrote: »
    Got this for Christmas and have only just got everything sorted in my new place, but looking forward to getting started on it as soon as I can pry Disgaea 3 from the clutches of my PS3.

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game to play with another game. After the beginning missions the battles usually take a long time the first time you play them. So its nice to have a game to go to as downtime between battles.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it odd that I really really really want to play this game, but I just have trouble sitting down to it because I know how long the battles take?
    And I'm only in the forest where Maxxamillian's lackies show up. you know, right after you find the wined pig.

moink!

Feldorn on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »

No. Hell No.

I would kill for a full EW1 prequel. So many possibilities :D

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ForxForx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Forx wrote: »

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game to play with another game. After the beginning missions the battles usually take a long time the first time you play them. So its nice to have a game to go to as downtime between battles.

Sounds like a good idea, will probably stop be getting angry at X Dimension, but enough of that, this no the place.

Bacon sarny and VC time methinks.

Forx on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Is it odd that I really really really want to play this game, but I just have trouble sitting down to it because I know how long the battles take?
    And I'm only in the forest where Maxxamillian's lackies show up. you know, right after you find the wined pig.

moink!

You can save mid-battle.

gjaustin on
  • Grayjack72Grayjack72 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »

No. Hell No.

I would kill for a full EW1 prequel. So many possibilities :D
    Me too.
    You play as Belgen. Some squad members include Fredrick, Varrot, Largo, Coby, Mussad, and Catherine.

Grayjack72 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll take a Valkyria - Modern Warfare.

This is an order!

No Fighting in the War Room - Indoor Combat ++

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Crosspost!
    Watched Valkyria Chronicles episode 1.

First off, I will most likely be watching this show in its entirety just for Alicia, at least.
    Alicia.jpg

The quick shift between gravity of war and... weightlessness of war is a bit jarring. I know, I know, Valkyria Chronicles, and...
    ValkyriaChronicles.jpg

So it's not exactly a surprise, and overall it might...might be for the best. But the sheer amount of "OMG I'M GOING TO DIE!" transitioning effortlessly into "OMG, DID HE JUST TOUCH MY HAND?" and back again in heated battle is just a bit much.
    And they're shooting at you, Alicia! You don't stop running to shoot back!

It is almost inevitable that Susie will die and that makes me : (

Alicia2.jpg

Pretty much, I think it's really pretty, and I should like the characters taken individually, but everything else is probably going to take some work or getting used to.

Frosteey on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like what you put in that tag.

Chrono Helix on
    edited April 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »

Crosspost!

First off, I will most likely be watching this show in its entirety just for Alicia, at least.
    Alicia.jpg

The quick shift between gravity of war and... weightlessness of war is a bit jarring. I know, I know, Valkyria Chronicles, and...
    ValkyriaChronicles.jpg

So it's not exactly a surprise, and overall it might...might be for the best. But the sheer amount of "OMG I'M GOING TO DIE!" transitioning effortlessly into "OMG, DID HE JUST TOUCH MY HAND?" and back again in heated battle is just a bit much.

Alicia2.jpg

Pretty much, I think it's really pretty, and I should like the characters taken individually, but everything else is probably going to take some work or getting used to.
    I want to watch this.

Grayjack72 on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »

Crosspost!

Alicia.jpg

ValkyriaChronicles.jpg

Alicia2.jpg

Here's someone else's impressions from GAF:
    Senjo no Valkyria - Anime Impressions

I was able to watch the first episode of the anime, here are my impressions.

Soundtrack: The game uses the soundtrack from the Videogame, a welcome change from videogame to anime transitions. It is too early to say that the anime has original music written by Sakamoto. The Opening song is okay and the ending song was pretty terrible. I was kind of hoping for an orchestral opening score to match the grand tone of the borrowed videogame score.

Animation: The art design still bothers me because it is too different than the videogame. With that said, the anime has fairly high production values and movement is very smooth. If Valkryia Chronicles keeps it up, it would be a fairly rewarding experience visually.

Storyline/Pacing: I will shock you when I say this, but the anime is actually a fairly different experience. They basically go from story point A to story point B in the videogame, but how they go there is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. This actually makes the anime experience all the more better since it will not be a complete retread of the videogame.

It also seems that they gave Susie a much larger role in the Anime, since she is already there as part of the Bruhl Defense force in the first episode and is already friends with Alicia. I would hesitate to say that Susie got promoted from a secondary character to a main character, but she will definitely have more airtime than her game predecessor. It will be interesting to see how the anime canon develops her.

Overall: The Valkyria Chronicles anime seems like it will be a different experience than the game, I look forward to see what the anime creators will come up with in developing the interaction between the main cast. I would almost go as far as to say it is an excellent representation of the game, but I will hold on to my judgment until more episodes come out.

XiaNaphryz on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It can be different, but still remain faithful. Which it really was. Of course they have to flesh out secondary characters and add a flowing structure to keep the plot moving, rather than dividing it into combat missions with intermissions in between. Carbon copying much of the game's plot/dialogue wouldn't work at all, since it's an entirely different format.

For what its worth, though, I thought it was pretty good, though we need to get a few eps in before stuff actually happens.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gah, it was already posted.

Anyways, in case you missed it earlier up this page, VC is $30 at GameStop right fucking now, brand fucking new. I nearly shit myself. I would have bought ten copies on principle if I had the extra cash.

UnbreakableVow on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gah, it was already posted.

Anyways, in case you missed it earlier up this page, VC is $30 at GameStop right fucking now, brand fucking new. I nearly shit myself. I would have bought ten copies on principle if I had the extra cash.

It's already backordered on their website :|

TOTP Edit: So you should go to the store to get it! Don't let Valkyria Chronicles pass you by! </preaching to the choir>

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The gamestop near me had 6 copies of Valkyria Chronicles new...

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited April 2009
    I just watched the Anime. I want to watch some more.

Link:http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/animation/watch/v18157468EB6KyZEx

Grayjack72 on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I went to gamestop this weekend with intentions of buying either Chrono Trigger for the DS or Valkyria Chronicles - both were $30.

I flipped a coin .... and I chose Chrono Trigger. :(

emnmnme on
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I went to gamestop this weekend with intentions of buying either Chrono Trigger for the DS or Valkyria Chronicles - both were $30.

Excuse me while I go and have a seizure.

Grayjack72 on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

What is wrong with you.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You chose...poorly.
    the10grossestindianajon.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Had you ever played Chrono Trigger? If not then I'll excuse you until your next paycheck. If you own another version of the game however...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i forgot to get VC yesterday and now its backordered. such is life.

Ah_Pook on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chrono Trigger will be easy to find for a little while at least, and is actually a pretty lame port (downgraded sound makes me a sad panda). Valkyria Chronicles is amazing, and already rare.

You did bad!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    apparently the gamestops around here have plenty of copies of VC, so thats good. i'll grab it after work tomorrow and all will be right in the world.

Ah_Pook on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

What the fuck get the fuck out
    GET THE FUCK OUT

Rent on
  • Fourier_seriesFourier_series Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

So you're going back tomorrow to buy VC right? Right?

Fourier_series on
    soldierpw2.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I couldn't finish Chrono Trigger. There's just too much going on at the end.

EDIT. Wow, the anime looks good. I'll love any part with the tanks. They remind me of Steamboy. :D Alicia was the pinnacle of stupidity through the whole thing, but they had to set up an introduction to Welkin somehow.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It kinda bothers me that
    each of the main 3 could have died at least once already. (Being shot by Imperials does not count.) I usually don't like those scenes where 2 people are about to land the killing blow on each other and conveniently stop at the last moment when a 3rd person yells something.

I wonder if there's a trope for that.

Chrono Helix on
  • Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also saw the first episode. Looks promising, but Alicia's stubborness was really a drag throughout.

And...
    Rent wrote:
    Also, Chance, Catherine seems to be a Hans lover

You sure that's Cath? Looks like Marina to me.

Anywho, blasted on through to Chapter 9. Chapter 7 was quite nerving, but 8 was annoying.
    Dodging mortars and the scouts was okay, but taking on Ty the Immortal? Yeesh. Gave me my first game over as well.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where are you guys seeing this first episode
    I want a liiiiiiiiiiink :(

Rent on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Just go to Veoh and type in "Senjou no Valkyria."

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited April 2009

I put a link in an earlier post. Anyways, here.
    http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/animation/watch/v18157468EB6KyZEx

Grayjack72 on
  • ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I download a copy directly from a torrent site so that I can watch it over and over again with or without internet. ;3

Said board has both RAWWs and Subs. Becareful what you type though; safe and unsafe works can be downloaded just as easily.

If anyone doesn't mind such a vile way of watching a series, then I'll PM. In the meantime, I think it'd be best if I get reaquainted with the forum rules once more (just in case).
    c95034f31151fd86de4f0719ebdbbd07.jpg
    <3<3

EDIT: Nyeh. Guess it's either PMs or forget it.

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009

What the fuck get the fuck out
    GET THE FUCK OUT

I cannot describe the magnitude of my approval of your words here today, sir. You have said what I was considering, and have succeeded with far less vile disgust and hatred in your text than I would have.
    c95034f31151fd86de4f0719ebdbbd07.jpg
    <3<3

I.... my god. I mean, that's pretty, but I never realized how... big she was. I'd hate to have those. They go over half way to her elbow!

Shivahn on