As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Family [Chat]ters

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    hey now gays do have HIV scares to worry about. even if i don't have unprotected sex with strange men I still worry

Hey now. Breeders can also receive that uncomfortable "You might want to get checked" phone call.

What an insensitive sodomite.

Man one time I had a bump down there that wasn't ever there before.

Scariest doctor's appointment ever.

My fiancee (then girlfriend) had some precancerous cells removed. The sort of thing associated with HPV, which is great because hey, it's not HIV or herpes or something terrible, but it sucks because there are no symptoms in guys and no test, so who knows if I gave it to her or she got it from an ex and now I'm a stealth plague bearer. We're monogamous, but it's still weaksauce.

TL DR on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Its links like this that prove to me urban dictionary is just making shit up.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ookie+cookie

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    I'm afraid of clowns.

Especially clowns on their periods.

It's the devil's Rorschach test, I tell you what.

Gim on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Cesca says she ain't wearing no saddle.

Really I just know a few BDSM people. It's like any other pastime in that it has it's own groups and divisions.

Of course you do.

You're British.

BDSM is the British vice.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Fuck fuck fuck

thinking about grad school gets me so depressed

why?

Because all the departments that I want go to are pluralistic (a combination of history, analytic, and continental) and they have ridiculously low numbers. For instance, at Fordham 240 applicants were fighting for 7 spots. My GPA just isn't good enough -- I have around a 3.4, I should probably have 3.7. I guess I just need to fuck the GRE in the asshole and bang my Heidegger prof to get a kick ass recommendation.

But seriously, I've never had anxiety about anything before. Every time I think about it, it's like each of my skin cells is getting a wedgie.

oh, so you're concerned you won't get in to grad school

yeah that's a valid concern

i never had that worry because i just did a lazy man's MA at the same school, mostly for the easy money and the fun of it without needing to dedicate myself to an academic career

there is always a grad school you can get into that will offer what you want to some degree, though. always. and if you don't get what you want, you can do an MA somewhere decent and use that to get into a PhD after you publish some stuff, go to conferences, get some really good reference letters, etc.

I'm thinking about doing that. Honestly, it's just depressing all around.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

I had a single condom breaking incident. I have also never been so glad to have a girlfriend get her period.

Anytime you're worried about it being late just punch your SO in the stomach while shes not paying attention.

Falcon Punch!

Gim on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

At the risk of making myself sound weirder still, I've always heard this referred to as "soggy biscuit".

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Gim wrote: »

I had a single condom breaking incident. I have also never been so glad to have a girlfriend get her period.

Anytime you're worried about it being late just punch your SO in the stomach while shes not paying attention.

Falcon Punch!

Basically I usually just say to my wife "Baby Punch," and then hit her right in the ovaries.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2009

At the risk of making myself sound weirder still, I've always heard this referred to as "soggy biscuit".

Seems reasonable.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Really I just know a few BDSM people. It's like any other pastime in that it has it's own groups and divisions.

Are they particularly possessive of the terms they identify with? I mean, do they bicker with each other about who is "really" a sub and who is just a poser, and other BS semantic arguments about labels and stuff?

I'm just curious because most people who talk about their BDSM friends usually speak as though they're a pretty laid-back bunch. The only people I've known who were into that sort of thing were ten different kinds of fucked-in-the-head.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited April 2009

over here that's called soggy biscuit

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm afraid of clowns.

Uh, dat dang-ol' scary, man...

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Falcon Punch!

Somebody hold Gim down.

I got him Teen Pregnant.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck fuck fuck

thinking about grad school gets me so depressed

why?

Because all the departments that I want go to are pluralistic (a combination of history, analytic, and continental) and they have ridiculously low numbers. For instance, at Fordham 240 applicants were fighting for 7 spots. My GPA just isn't good enough -- I have around a 3.4, I should probably have 3.7. I guess I just need to fuck the GRE in the asshole and bang my Heidegger prof to get a kick ass recommendation.

But seriously, I've never had anxiety about anything before. Every time I think about it, it's like each of my skin cells is getting a wedgie.

oh, so you're concerned you won't get in to grad school

yeah that's a valid concern

i never had that worry because i just did a lazy man's MA at the same school, mostly for the easy money and the fun of it without needing to dedicate myself to an academic career

there is always a grad school you can get into that will offer what you want to some degree, though. always. and if you don't get what you want, you can do an MA somewhere decent and use that to get into a PhD after you publish some stuff, go to conferences, get some really good reference letters, etc.

I'm thinking about doing that. Honestly, it's just depressing all around.

Doing your MA in humanities is one of the most awesome experiences, especially if you're doing lots of course work

Interesting stuff all around, great seminar classes with motivated, interesting people, more connection with profs, freedom to do what you want, and the most interesting readings you'll get assigned.

Your MA thesis, if you do one, is not that long and thus the pressure is far less than a PhD, and you can just learn a fantastic amount about what you're interested in while socializing with your academic community - and if you get a decent scholarship, you can do it all without having to work at the same time!

God those were good times.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tav wrote: »

*standing ovation*

That man should win every award for everything multiple times.

Gim on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That last line is the the most horrifying/greatest

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Are they particularly possessive of the terms they identify with? I mean, do they bicker with each other about who is "really" a sub and who is just a poser, and other BS semantic arguments about labels and stuff?

I'm just curious because most people who talk about their BDSM friends usually speak as though they're a pretty laid-back bunch. The only people I've known who were into that sort of thing were ten different kinds of fucked-in-the-head.

There are apparently very earnest people who are disparagingly referred to as being into "twoo" BDSM. They're the people who take it all very seriously and probably wear leather trenchcoats and call themselves "Raven".

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm afraid of clowns.

Uh, dat dang-ol' scary, man...

Narrow urethra.
    Somebody hold Gim down.

I got him Teen Pregnant.

NARROW URETHRA! BWAAAAUUUGH!

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Doing your MA in humanities is one of the most awesome experiences, especially if you're doing lots of course work

I'll probably do strictly philosophy, because when I was an English major I just wanted to talk about the philosophy behind the stuff.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Let he who has not given a coat hanger as a baby shower gift cast the first stone.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Stephen Lynch is amazing in every way.

Tav on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Also ‘limp biscuit’.

In case you ever wondered how the band came up with such a dumb name.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    stilist wrote: »

Also ‘limp biscuit’.

Also, "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavoured Water" is a fucking awful album title.

Tav on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Let he who has not given a coat hanger as a baby shower gift cast the first stone.

People do that?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Also ‘limp biscuit’.

Well it does provide context for that lyric about the cookie...

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited April 2009

You know, that term has a whole new meaning now...

Gim on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    Org you are a good Jew.

Oh why do you say

Your ready acceptance of your western overlords.

Not conspiring against them like a certain uppity bastard.

I mean I like to think that I have a somewhat healthy skepticism of the world around me- corporate influence, governmental agencies, etc. At the same time, though... I think a lot of perceptions are skewed.

No I like your attitude concerning military and police.

But having grown up under one's influence I tend to think that metro cops are invariably dicks. So are a whole lot of military guys. But being a dick and being a good guy are not mutually exclusive.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    knowing how wire hangers were used in abortions should be enough damn reason to keep abortions legal

because jesus h mcfuck they are horrible

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I’ve had this conversation here before, about three years ago.

Edit: The limp biscuit one.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'll probably do strictly philosophy, because when I was an English major I just wanted to talk about the philosophy behind the stuff.

i would count philosophy as a humanities subject area

regardless, your courses would be a joy to attend, i assure you.

one of my friends is a philosophy guy (focusing on ethics re: corporations) and his exams are fucking fantastic

one consisted entirely of an epistemological riddle, against which you had to test a model of knowledge that you synthesized from various readings

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

People do that?

All I know is the first of my friends who gets preggers is getting one all wrapped up

To hang up all the baby clothes she's gonna get, of course!

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    knowing how wire hangers were used in abortions should be enough damn reason to keep abortions legal

because jesus h mcfuck they are horrible

Yeah there was an article by a nurse who remembered the days of illegal abortions, it was absolutely terrifying.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2009

one of my friends is a philosophy guy (focusing on ethics re: corporations) and his exams are fucking fantastic

one consisted entirely of an epistemological riddle, against which you had to test a model of knowledge that you synthesized from various readings

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

People do that?

All I know is the first of my friends who gets preggers is getting one all wrapped up

To hang up all the baby clothes she's gonna get, of course!

Maybe get some of those nice pastel colored ones made of plastic...

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think I’ve had this conversation here before, about three years ago.

Edit: The limp biscuit one.

We're all on hiatus. What you're reading is the forum software replaying "classic PA".

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of ethics in a corporate setting, I'm curious to know what most philosophy majors do with their degrees. The only two options I know of are teaching and ethics.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwEqhyR9yM

not related, but fantastic

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

it's a decent backup plan, if you don't get the school at the top of your list.

as far as i know, in Canada, everyone has to do an MA before they can do a PhD, unless they do a combined program (which is becoming very popular)

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What the hell. Sugar chemistry and nomenclature is like Eldritch Priest of Cthulu levels of maddening. Merely gazing upon the 16 isomers of hexoses is just like WHAT.
    022.GIF

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
This discussion has been closed.