As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Family [Chat]ters

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I just got this old mini PC. Something like 128 RAM, but it's the size of a VCR. I'm thinking it's going in the bedroom as a cheap media box.

TL DR on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It just really sucks that I want to continue my studies at the school I currently attend and do reasonably well in and it's just ridiculous how small the department is. Grumble

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    knowing how wire hangers were used in abortions should be enough damn reason to keep abortions legal

because jesus h mcfuck they are horrible

You would think but then people tell you that women who want an abortion should be forced to use wire hangers because they deserve the consequences of such.

ViolentChemistry on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    knowing how wire hangers were used in abortions should be enough damn reason to keep abortions legal

One of the books we had to read in my Japanese history class began with a woman who aborted her fourth child because there was a famine on. She used a stick. Got an infection and died, and then her youngest (who was still breastfeeding) died a couple of months later from malnutrition. The rest of the book was about her son growing up and dealing with his father's misery, loneliness, and crippling poverty (and a running sub-plot about his sister trying to get out from under the father's thumb).

Then at the end we found out it was a true story. It was not an uplifting book.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    as far as i know, in Canada, everyone has to do an MA before they can do a PhD, unless they do a combined program (which is becoming very popular)

school also costs less than a happy meal

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AND THEY ARENT EVEN CYCLIC YET

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    So I just got this old mini PC. Something like 128 RAM, but it's the size of a VCR. I'm thinking it's going in the bedroom as a cheap media box.

Needs more RAM to play modern video files.

ViolentChemistry on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Speaking of ethics in a corporate setting, I'm curious to know what most philosophy majors do with their degrees. The only two options I know of are teaching and ethics.

I'm planning on law school.

TL DR on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Let he who has not given a coat hanger as a baby shower gift cast the first stone.

You know, that term has a whole new meaning now...

:shock:

D:

D:D:

D::shock:D:

:lol:

Nocturne on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    japan wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    I think I’ve had this conversation here before, about three years ago.

Edit: The limp biscuit one.
    We're all on hiatus. What you're reading is the forum software replaying "classic PA".
    That’s okay; I’m on hiatus myself.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited April 2009
    yeah I'd say half of our philosophy majors go on to attend grad schools

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of ethics in a corporate setting, I'm curious to know what most philosophy majors do with their degrees. The only two options I know of are teaching and ethics.

Being paid to teach philosophy doesn't strike me as very ethical...

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited April 2009

Needs more RAM to play modern video files.

Like 256, or should I not bother unless I can work out 512? I'm sure I could get a used mobo and just keep the nice little case, but that sort of defeats the purpose of 'hey free computer can bring movies to mah bedroom'.

TL DR on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

We're all on hiatus. What you're reading is the forum software replaying "classic PA".

Oh gosh, what won't that Kusu and Moriarty do next? It's a good thing tynic is around to keep them in line.

Hey, have you guys heard about this 'Badger Badger Badger' thing?

Gim on
    edited April 2009
    Podly, do a Fulbright and go to Germany for a year. It's still hard to get, but not nearly as hard as getting into a solid PhD program fresh out of undergrad and will give you something spiffy to put on your application.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah there was an article by a nurse who remembered the days of illegal abortions, it was absolutely terrifying.
    i remember there was this three part series (on HBO maybe?) focusing on three instances of abortion in different periods of America (pre-Roe, and two after Roe)

Demi Moore was in the Pre-Roe one and got an illegal abortion

after some skeevy dude in a fedora fiddles around her vajayjay with some freaky looking instruments he takes her money and leaves. She stands around perplexed and quiet for a few moments

next shot is her screaming on the ground in a pool of blood D:

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

teaching, ethics (huge application), research, logic (making you a logician)

people who do grad degrees usually end up doing teaching and research, or getting some kind of heady consulting position for the government or a company in some capacity (usually ethics to be fair).

people who do undergrad philosophy degrees generally end up doing HR, administration, educational support staff, teachers, etc

many will go on to get supplementary education for a vocation, and having two degrees gives them a leg up. most of them will be able to write well, meaning they have valuable work skills that many lack.

teacher's college is required to teach high school and elementary school, so they often do that.

Evil Multifarious on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    yeah I'd say half of our philosophy majors go on to attend grad schools

What about the rest who don't pursue anything further, or those who do, but they get a PhD. What do they do.

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009

Oh gosh, what won't that Kusu and Moriarty do next? It's a good thing tynic is around to keep them in line.

This is totally a legitimate link! :D

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited April 2009
    Thanks EM.

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009

Yeah there was an article by a nurse who remembered the days of illegal abortions, it was absolutely terrifying.
    i remember there was this three part series (on HBO maybe?) focusing on three instances of abortion in different periods of America (pre-Roe, and two after Roe)

after some skeevy dude in a fedora fiddles around her vajayjay with some freaky looking instruments he takes her money and leaves. She stands around perplexed and quiet for a few moments

Do yourself a favor and don't ever read anything, anywhere about Sierra Leone.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah you may disagree with the idea of abortions but wanting them to go away only means women will be killing or severely mangling themselves to get rid of the baby. And honestly thats a million times worse.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2009
    I've been thinking about getting a mini PC as an alternative to a laptop. My theory is that the minis can be more powerful than laptops, but I am basing that on nothing. Does anyone here know how the mini PCs stack up to other mobile computer options?

Gim on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks EM.

no problem. i was a web writer for the career services branch of student support at my university

so i know exactly what arts majors end up doing with their degree
    the answer is "whatever they first fall into that isn't totally awful," "teacher's college," or "grad school"

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2009
    I'm tempted to buy a network attached storage device so that I don't have to take the time to back anything up when I reinstall operating systems.

Sarksus on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mother 3 y/n?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah you may disagree with the idea of abortions but wanting them to go away only means women will be killing or severely mangling themselves to get rid of the baby. And honestly thats a million times worse.
    Like VC said, to some people it isn't :|

And I remember the movie, it is If These Walls Could Talk

Cher is in it :o

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited April 2009
    wazilla wrote: »
    Mother 3 y/n?

No you sicko, how many bastard children will you spawn?!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mother 3 y/n?

No you sicko, how many bastard children will you spawn?!

I figure 7...

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited April 2009
    Mother 3 y/n?

If you can read it, then definitely y.

y
    y
    y
    y.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited April 2009
    Oh god Cher, she must have been giving Demi the best plastic surgeon numbers.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2009

:(

stilist on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The things you learn about people from reading a thread about ghosts.
    There is one God, and many angels. Fallen angels are called demons. Angels and demons can take any shape they wish. There is a hierarchy of angels biased on how powerful God created them. This is what I believe, no more and no less.

Nocturne on
    edited April 2009
    as far as i know, in Canada, everyone has to do an MA before they can do a PhD, unless they do a combined program (which is becoming very popular)

i wasn't aware that a happy meal cost over 6000 dollars (per year) in the US :P

i was aware that tuition is absolutely fucking ridiculous down there, usually in the tens of thousands for a decent school, right?

my girlfriend has 20 000 in student loans after finishing her first undergrad, and that's fairly average for someone who didn't have lots of scholarships or parents who could pay for it

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2009

:(
    Does 'Badger Badger Badger' make you sad?

Gim on
    edited April 2009
    For most of us, especially for businessmen, in whose eyes nature does not exist, unless it be in its strict utility relationship with their business interests, the fantastic reality of life becomes strangely blunted.

stilist on
    edited April 2009

i wasn't aware that a happy meal cost over 6000 dollars (per year) in the US

i was aware that tuition is absolutely fucking ridiculous down there, usually in the tens of thousands for a decent school, right?

my girlfriend has 20 000 in student loans after finishing her first undergrad, and that's fairly average for someone who didn't have lots of scholarships or parents who could pay for it

Boston College is $53,000 per year including room and board.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited April 2009
    i wasn't aware that a happy meal cost over 6000 dollars (per year) in the US

$30k/year is lower upper end, I think.

stilist on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been thinking about getting a mini PC as an alternative to a laptop. My theory is that the minis can be more powerful than laptops, but I am basing that on nothing. Does anyone here know how the mini PCs stack up to other mobile computer options?

Aren't mini PCs usually built from laptop parts?

japan on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    The things you learn about people from reading a thread about ghosts.
    There is one God, and many angels. Fallen angels are called demons. Angels and demons can take any shape they wish. There is a hierarchy of angels biased on how powerful God created them. This is what I believe, no more and no less.

That one stood out to me too. But eh to each his or her own.

I guess.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.