As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Family [Chat]ters

• ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I think I’ve had this conversation here before, about three years ago.

Edit: The limp biscuit one.
    We're all on hiatus. What you're reading is the forum software replaying "classic PA".
    Oh gosh, what won't that Kusu and Moriarty do next? It's a good thing tynic is around to keep them in line.

Hey, have you guys heard about this 'Badger Badger Badger' thing?
    :(
    Does 'Badger Badger Badger' make you sad?

A badger badgered his badger badges.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

We're all on hiatus. What you're reading is the forum software replaying "classic PA".
    Oh gosh, what won't that Kusu and Moriarty do next? It's a good thing tynic is around to keep them in line.

No; the fact that chat’s population has almost entirely changed from when I joined.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    as far as i know, in Canada, everyone has to do an MA before they can do a PhD, unless they do a combined program (which is becoming very popular)

school also costs less than a happy meal

i wasn't aware that a happy meal cost over 6000 dollars (per year) in the US :P

i was aware that tuition is absolutely fucking ridiculous down there, usually in the tens of thousands for a decent school, right?

my girlfriend has 20 000 in student loans after finishing her first undergrad, and that's fairly average for someone who didn't have lots of scholarships or parents who could pay for it

I'm already 40k in the hole, and I've still got another year to go.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    as far as i know, in Canada, everyone has to do an MA before they can do a PhD, unless they do a combined program (which is becoming very popular)

i wasn't aware that a happy meal cost over 6000 dollars (per year) in the US

i was aware that tuition is absolutely fucking ridiculous down there, usually in the tens of thousands for a decent school, right?

my girlfriend has 20 000 in student loans after finishing her first undergrad, and that's fairly average for someone who didn't have lots of scholarships or parents who could pay for it

Boston College is $53,000 per year including room and board.

Jesus fucking christ.

Including room and board, one of the high end schools here in Ontario is 10 000 per year

In Quebec, you can pay less than 2000 a year in tuition.

Evil Multifarious on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been thinking about getting a mini PC as an alternative to a laptop. My theory is that the minis can be more powerful than laptops, but I am basing that on nothing. Does anyone here know how the mini PCs stack up to other mobile computer options?

Aren't mini PCs usually built from laptop parts?

Are they? That's kind of depressing.

Gim on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

No; the fact that chat’s population has almost entirely changed from when I joined.

It's not that different.

Aside from Kusu and Moriarty getting banned.

James on
    edited April 2009
    I went to college for $70/credit, I believe. And I got a grant of $2k/year.

stilist on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

TL DR on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In-county CCs are the best.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I've never wrapped my head around the idea that higher education in the US plunges you into more debt than buying a house.

japan on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    The things you learn about people from reading a thread about ghosts.
    There is one God, and many angels. Fallen angels are called demons. Angels and demons can take any shape they wish. There is a hierarchy of angels biased on how powerful God created them. This is what I believe, no more and no less.

That one stood out to me too. But eh to each his or her own.

I guess.

Yeah I mean I'm not here to make fun of people's beliefs.

But if I were, [chat] would be the place to do it, right?

Also DUE I watched me some Death Note today.

Nocturne on
    edited April 2009
    James wrote: »
    It's not that different.

the cat, janson, shinto, moriarty, kusu, cass, choco, tynic, aquabat, guomindong, the nameless one...

stilist on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

What are you going to do with your degree btw?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Stachybotrys atra Stachybotrys Atra

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That is brutal but not incomparable to some students I know here.

Due to loans covering cost of living as well as tuition and rent, there are people who finish their degrees with 40k-ish debt. This is at a school where tuition for undergrads was 4500ish and is now over 5000 a year, though.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2009
    In-county CCs are the best.
    I was pretty happy with it.

stilist on
    edited April 2009
    Frank'sRedHot frank'sredhot Frank'sRedHot frank'sredhot frank'sredhot frank'sredhot Frank'sRedHot frank'sredhot + Butter butter Butter butter butter butter Butter butter = ?

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited April 2009
    There is one God, and many angels. Fallen angels are called demons. Angels and demons can take any shape they wish. There is a hierarchy of angels biased on how powerful God created them. This is what I believe, no more and no less.

I guess.

Yeah I mean I'm not hear to make fun of people's beliefs.

On hulu? What do you think so far?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been thinking about getting a mini PC as an alternative to a laptop. My theory is that the minis can be more powerful than laptops, but I am basing that on nothing. Does anyone here know how the mini PCs stack up to other mobile computer options?

Well it wouldn't be as portable, certainly. Small form factor desktops using Micro ATX motherboards have much greater potential performance wise than laptops, however. Besides the motherboard and any PCI cards you might want to use most normal desktop components can be used in such a desktop computer. And since it's a desktop and not a laptop it's plugged in all of the time so you're not weighed down by energy concerns when you're choosing parts.

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009
    Frank'sRedHot frank'sredhot Frank'sRedHot frank'sredhot frank'sredhot frank'sredhot Frank'sRedHot frank'sredhot + Butter butter Butter butter butter butter Butter butter = ?

buffalo wings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wing

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I've never wrapped my head around the idea that higher education in the US plunges you into more debt than buying a house.

Pssh, like Americans can be trusted to buy a house...

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Jesus fucking christ.

Including room and board, one of the high end schools here in Ontario is 10 000 per year

So you have dirt-cheap school, de facto legal pot, universal health care, and all I have to deal with is the eskimo weather and people speaking French?

...pass.

TL DR on
    edited April 2009

Aren't mini PCs usually built from laptop parts?

Are they? That's kind of depressing.

Why? They have identical design problems, with the exception of battery life.

It's why I was surprised people "Oooh"ed so much at the iMacs. They're literally tablet PCs on stands without the touchscreen.

japan on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Pssh, like Americans can be trusted to buy a house...
    yeah japan i don't know if you noticed but evidently that didn't work out for us so much

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited April 2009

Jesus fucking christ.

So you have dirt-cheap school, de facto legal pot, universal health care, and all I have to deal with is the eskimo weather and people speaking French?

...pass.

All that stuff I could deal with. I'm already surrounded by Eskimo weather and people speaking French. But having to root for the Canadiens? Yeah fuck that.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited April 2009
    There are space concerns with mini PCs, so you need specialized motherboards and video cards, but nearly everything else is small enough where you can use normal components. For example you're not using a mobile Intel processor, you can stick a Core 2 Quad in there and it'll work fine.

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009

Stachybotrys atra Stachybotrys Atra

o_O

Zimmy, fetch me my holy water, some duct tape, and a copy of The Labyrinth.

TL DR on
    edited April 2009
    If I go to the schools I want to go to then I'm going to get into super-debt :(

At least this year of community college has already saved me over 40k...

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009
    If I speak of love in the context of dandyism, the reason is that love is the natural occupation of men of leisure. But the dandy does not consider love as a special aim in life. If I have mentioned money, the reason is that money is indispensable to those who make an exclusive cult of their passions, but the dandy does not aspire to wealth as an object in itself; an open bank credit could suit him just as well; he leaves that squalid passion to vulgar mortals. Contrary to what a lot of thoughtless people seem to believe, dandyism is not even an excessive delight in clothes and material elegance. For the perfect dandy, these things are no more than the symbol of the aristocratic superiority of his mind. Thus, in his eyes, enamoured as he is above all of distinction, perfection in dress consists in absolute simplicity, which is, indeed, the best way of being distinguished.
    Baudelaire is a quotable fellow.

stilist on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I guess.

Yeah, Hulu. I was able to watch up to episode 18 before I had to stop because it just got really bad out of nowhere. I really liked up until about episode 15-ish, then I was just like wut.
    Basically up through the part where everyone's in jail is good. The part with the dad taking Light and Misa out out to "execute" them seemed really cheesy. It's like the rest of the show up until then, L and Light were a step or two ahead of the audience. Even when you realized what was going to happen, it wasn't usually until right before it did. Then things seemed to change. The whole handcuffed together 3rd wheel crap, the new 23-story headquarters out of nowhere. It's like they just started throwing shit into the script randomly. I got to the part where L hires 2 new members, the con-man and the thief. At that point it seemed like they ran out of good ideas so I stopped.

But I really did like it there for a while.

Nocturne on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2009
    CC Sabathia's final line for the day: 4.1 IP, 8 hits, 5 walks, 6 ER, ZERO FUCKING STRIKEOUTS, 12.46 ERA

*giggle*

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is somebody in here giving community colleges shit? Because if they are, so help me God I will

Hacksaw on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    James wrote: »
    It's not that different.

the cat, janson, shinto, moriarty, kusu, cass, choco, tynic, aquabat, guomindong, the nameless one...

well the cat and shinto are still here, janson hangs out in SE, same with cass and choco.

I mean it is unrealistic to expect people to have the time to post on an internet forum for their whole lives.

And there are plenty of people who are still here, even if a handful are off doing their own thing.

James on
    edited April 2009
    All of you have to post in here for your whole lives.

Sarksus on
    edited April 2009
    I like storms, I enjoy the thunder and lightning. What I like to do, is shag my girlfriend and pretend we're participating in the conception of the Antichrist.

japan on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    it says it is no longer available

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    You have received a PM from: Obs
    Subject line: We are brothers

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Is somebody in here giving community colleges shit? Because if they are, so help me God I will

Give them shit or beat someone up?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2009

I guess.

Yeah, Hulu. I was able to watch up to episode 18 before I had to stop because it just got really bad out of nowhere. I really liked up until about episode 15-ish, then I was just like wut.
    Basically up through the part where everyone's in jail is good. The part with the dad taking Light and Misa out out to "execute" them seemed really cheesy. It's like the rest of the show up until then, L and Light were a step or two ahead of the audience. Even when you realized what was going to happen, it wasn't usually until right before it did. Then things seemed to change. The whole handcuffed together 3rd wheel crap, the new 23-story headquarters out of nowhere. It's like they just started throwing shit into the script randomly. I got to the part where L hires 2 new members, the con-man and the thief. At that point it seemed like they ran out of good ideas so I stopped.

But I really did like it there for a while.

Yeah that all seems to be a bit out of place but in about 2 or 3 episodes things will clear up with a sensible conclusion. There are a lot of threads out there that seem kind of useless and my guess is they needed a bit of filler so the new elements came in. But yeah things will become coherent again by about episode 20/21.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.