As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some sketches

value-head-1.jpg
    koi-fish.jpg
    montgomery.jpg

DeeLock on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tiger.gif

Had to design a hero's outfit based on Chinese zodiac symbol "Tiger" for a contest over in the CBR forums last week.

Real lazy and quick execution on this one, hence the ball fists. But, I kinda dig what i came up with.

The idea was something that Maoist-China would've concocted for propaganda if the 40s shuster & siegel Superman was a real american threat.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recognized the character, woo!

NightDragon on
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Doodled a friend
    mix2y.jpg

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WIP for my third enviro scene. Trying this one doing a rush job. Can see i copied the apartment i drew in my other enviro and pasted it into this.

35luff8.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    looking good, WCK!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here's the finished product of my guitar self portrait. Not fantastic by any means, but aside from the cheezy photoshop filtering, can you guys and dolls give me any pointers about perspective and anatomy? Thanks!
    Self_Portrait___Pen___filter_by_wan.jpg

Spoiler'd for possible size complications.

Oh, and I laughed about the suit comments, but for a completely different reason. I am 6'4" and weigh in at 365lbs. Needless to say I shop in the big and tall department .... not so much for the tall, cuz nowadays 6'4" isn't that tall, but the weight always gets me. Anyhoo, my suits all make me look like the GODDAM Juggernaught because the shoulders are all even bigger than my currently gargantuan ones... frustrating.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    damn WCK, thats some sharp rendering!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here's the finished product of my guitar self portrait. Not fantastic by any means, but aside from the cheezy photoshop filtering, can you guys and dolls give me any pointers about perspective and anatomy? Thanks!

Oh, and I laughed about the suit comments, but for a completely different reason. I am 6'4" and weigh in at 365lbs. Needless to say I shop in the big and tall department .... not so much for the tall, cuz nowadays 6'4" isn't that tall, but the weight always gets me. Anyhoo, my suits all make me look like the GODDAM Juggernaught because the shoulders are all even bigger than my currently gargantuan ones... frustrating.

His right arm is reallly funky. was this from a ref pic?

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2009

His right arm is reallly funky. was this from a ref pic?

No, I just did a sketch and started honing it. I guess a reference pic would be handy, wouldn't it?

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You have a tangent going on there. His right leg, the line that makes the thigh, goes right into the knuckle.

Other than that, I like it.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Pious wrote: »

You have a tangent going on there. His right leg, the line that makes the thigh, goes right into the knuckle.

Other than that, I like it.

Holy crap, you're right... I didn't even notice that.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited April 2009
    looking good, WCK!
    Mykonos wrote: »
    damn WCK, thats some sharp rendering!

Thanks guys. You're both so kind.

guitar self portrait is looking cool Monarch!

winter_combat_knight on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Derrr Artz, I suck at it.
    prac_copy.jpg

I wanted it to be some kind of battle arena, but the more I look at it, it looks like a fucking circus ring.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    6foxtk.jpg

Around the World

RCagent on
    edited April 2009
    Doodles done last night while watching t.v. Trying to capture likeness and pose quickly. Some more successful than others. I like how the Jimmy Fallon pic turned out.

rj1dgg.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    7. Judah Friedlander

SpeedKnight on
  • AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pious: It's all about the symbolism and shapes you put into it. It doesn't look too much like a circus to me, though it's really rough at this point too. Maybe the biggest thing that says circus are the strokes at the building's top, which seem a bit curtainy right now. Solidify those areas with one value to make it seem like a more solid material.

RC: I'd say it'd help a lot if you concentrate on keeping your line width's very consistent and the negative space width a lot more consistent. Right now it all jumbles into everything and it just messes with the clarity. Also think about the overall contrast between objects in there to make it better on the eye.

Speedpainted some tonight, color picker used on self-portrait and Rembrandt's old man:

20090407colsketches.jpg

Astorite on
    Uh.
    edited April 2009
    I assume the blue one's the self portrait.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm Dr. Manhattan's portly young brother.

Whoops, botp:
    Pious wrote:
    prac_copy.jpg
    RCAgent wrote:
    6foxtk.jpg
    WCK wrote:
    rj1dgg.jpg
    20090407colsketches.jpg

Astorite on
    Uh.
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dr. Manfatten?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited April 2009
    7. Judah Friedlander

Absolutely correct (i forgot his name)

winter_combat_knight on
  • gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "I just blue myself!"

"There's go to be a better way to say that."

goggles on
  • AcousticRoosterAcousticRooster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Like that style, Acoustic!

Also: nice studies, Cake!

Very good page this is, indeed!
    thank you!

wip.

vult2.jpg

AcousticRooster on
    edited April 2009
    clarence3.gif

Here's my latest entry for the cbr forums. We had to design "a modern day vampire with a distinct look that wears only pastel colors"

I call him Clarence.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hahaha, nice touch with the leeches.

The hands look wonky as hell, though. Fingers are odd shapes and sizes, and seem too "lumpy".

NightDragon on
    edited April 2009
    Well, my stuff is due thursday, but i need to get it printed wednesday (tomorrow). Heres progress. kinda cheating ahead on some areas, by adding photos for windows on the buildings.

Oh, i love google maps. Great for references of New York City.

2w4a054.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys. Just a quick sketch (10 min) I did today when I got home from work. I started off with something fairly abstract but my head kept on going NO NO NO... so its kind of become a little more normal. Ill see what you guys think perhaps before I decide to do any work on it.
    12_min_sketch_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited April 2009
    Make the image wider, and add variation to the buildings heights.

Also, you have two different vanishing points.
    o9iueq.jpg

EDIT (2)

Just general thoughts. i think if you want to make it into a full illustration, play around with some ideas and sketch out thumbnails. At the moment, that would be a really boring composition. Something maybe from a persons point of view would be sweet. Or from an apartment window.

Also, PERSPECTIVE IS A BITCH!!! I hate it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know they are kind of blurry but here are a couple of sketches from the beach.

cardiff.jpg

rts on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ahaha to be honest mate I was going for a really swewed perspective to start with and then I changed my mind. Thanks so much for your post. I didnt see the 2 perspective points thing going on. This is only a thumbnail so far lol. mmm I kind of have the idea of viewing the creature from the road. Right next to where its claw has gone through the pavement. Looking up in horror at it.

Ill spend another 10 minutes sketching that :p

*edit* lol.. another version. Ive done 3 versions now. Im changing it to the most recent I know the alien looks to close compared to the ship at the moment
    alien_landing_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    manovan, what are the cbr forums?

acoustic rooster: what are you using for inking and when are you going to put up a website or a deviantart or something?

beavotron on
    edited April 2009
    Turned out like shit, but im getting it printed tomorrow morning.
    Theres a big difference between spending a week on one picture, compared to a single day. oh well, its good practice working fast.

2zsmmad.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it looks pretty great dude.

desperaterobots on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    man, WCK, you've improved leaps and bounds since you started. nice work, man. i'll buy you a beer if you're ever in ontario.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks fellas. i almost reached the point of adding entire photos to the building fronts and windows. But when i started doing that, i felt kinda guilty, so stopped and just decided to draw it myself. As you can see, a lot of the windows look really crude and are just basic squares. Even though it looks rough, im still happier with it than i would have been if i added tons of photos. It really lacks atmosphere. Needs some more lighting, maybe some people, cars etc. Oh well. Next time i'll need to manage my time better.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    manovan, what are the cbr forums?

Comic Book Resources, I started checking them out after seeing Eliseu's stuff from there last year.

To just post art over there results in Deviantart-style asspats, but they occasionally have fun projects like the Design a European Hero, Design an African Hero, or the annual CBRunway, an elimination-based contest of weekly challenges.

I find it fairly fun, and so far it's making me actually do something other than paintings for school each week.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks fellas. i almost reached the point of adding entire photos to the building fronts and windows. But when i started doing that, i felt kinda guilty, so stopped and just decided to draw it myself. As you can see, a lot of the windows look really crude and are just basic squares. Even though it looks rough, im still happier with it than i would have been if i added tons of photos. It really lacks atmosphere. Needs some more lighting, maybe some people, cars etc. Oh well. Next time i'll need to manage my time better.

I don't know, I think the blocky windows are some sense of surrealism. I can't really explain it but I really like how they look in that picture.

RCagent on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WIP of my little sister

aa1b7aecb9e1e7e6b06e5c72ca195c22.png

Buckwolfe on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I sure hope that's not for your series of "twisted hardcore sexually explicit requests". :P

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
This discussion has been closed.