As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some new art to look at

GoatboyBBMAGoatboyBBMA Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Artist's Corner
Just some things I have done last year and this year. Enjoy.

Miss Red
missred.jpg

On the Spot
onthespot.jpg

Blue Slither
tentaclebabe.jpg

Song Scream
songscream.jpg

Childhood Fear
fear.jpg

Gunbuster New
gunbusternew.jpg

Robot Cannibal
robotcani.jpg

More later on.

Goatboy
Full of Monkey <-- Homepage full of dumb comics and animation
GoatboyBBMA on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not bad, kinda interesting...the anatomy seems a little off in your pieces, though...things like placement of facial/head features (on the first piece, for instance, her eyes are really high up from the nose and mouth.) The chin area on the "blue slither" looks off as well (very rounded, somewhat lacking in the jaw-area) and her face seems to jut out really far from her neck.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cool style.

Eh, I don't know if you wanted crits, but I got a few. I like these for the most part, but they aren't without problems. With a bit more practice I think you'll produce some flawless work.

First one is probably my fav. I like the composition. The colors are great as well. Only thing that throws this one off is the eye. It seems placed too close to the nose. It looks a little off.

2 3 4 and 6 I'm not too crazy about, but I think it's a combination of the too vibrant colors and the random backgrounds.

The sixth one looks good, and I really dig the colors in the character. It's just the background that is unappealing. It seems thrown together and for me, it detracts from the peice.

Five and seven I am liking too. Muted colors and nice line variation make these ones stand out.

You've definetly got your style down pat, and further anatomy studies and practice and blah blah will do you some good. Lets see some more.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the comments. A lot of the anatomy stretches are just there to kinda tweak the character a bit. The eye on the first I do think is a bit small, but I left it because it was a study for a skateboard deck painting that I want to do at some point.

I agree some of the backgrounds are a bit to random, mostly just me experimenting with different shapes and forms to see what works and what doesn't. Some of the other character tweaks are just me trying to incorporate a more animation style. The blue Tentacle headed girl is enough of a stretch in actual form that the jutting out neck and pulled parts of the head works alright. I do think the background could be taken out and something else added etc.

Thanks so much for the crits, I appreciate it. A lot of work is stuff I do in between animation and illustration work. A lot of the time it is just a large experiment to see what works color wise.

All the work was penciled, inked, and then colored in photoshop. Some flash vector work might pop up sometime later on.

GoatboyBBMA on
    Goatboy
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow these are awesome. As an artist myself I'll say they're very inspirational.

falconire on
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Do you have a website with more of your work on it?

falconire on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like your colors and concepts almost as much as I like little ghosties episode 2.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah the anatomy looks wonky (like the eye too close to the middle of the face in the first drawing) but hell your style makes the little wonkiness look like part of the style.

Love the lines, love the colours, love the creativity, keep it up.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the compliments. A lot of the design tweaks are just me messing with it to give the image a more dynamic look etc. The eye is weird on the one, but when I was going to paint it on a skateboard, I was going to do it a bit larger etc.

My site is Full Of Monkey and you can check out the portfolio and see all the dumb stuff I have been drawing lately.

Thomas

GoatboyBBMA on
    Goatboy
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Miss Red and some of the color choices in the pieces that follow are reminding me a little of Benjamin Gudel. Check him out.
    Also: Your next page button in the Little Ghosties section dont work, and just lost you a reader. Fix it, and we'll talk.
    Also: The home button leads to domain search.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Which Little Ghosties part is not working? The next picture button is working for me, just wondering where you are getting the error etc.

I will check out that artists site.

GoatboyBBMA on
    Goatboy
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    If I go click on Little Ghosties volume one in the side bar it shows thumbnails of all the strips. Once you click on one, you can't go to next page, only previous. Also, the full of monkey logo leads to broadbandmyass.com.

And about Benjamin Gudels site, it's kind of stupid and hard to navigate, try looking up his book Blood Sweat and Tears. He signs his work Gudel, but you'd be better off searching Guedel.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Might have been asked, but what programs did you use for these colors? My gut says Photoshop but my brain says Illustrator. Or I could be a complete twat and it could be traditional methods via paint and so forth.

On a side note, you might want to update the interface of your website; maybe it's spend most of my school day hanging around a friend who builds websites on the side, but everything from the sidebar to the white background is giving of an extremely "meh" vibe. Find a way to implement your artwork and design style around the interface so that it highlights these specific elements. That and it would look really snazzy.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hey, I am planning on redoing the site in a few months. I am working on designs etc, and will have something I hope, by the middle of next month, April sometime. Once that happens, I will really start to incorporate more designs and an easier navigation. It is just a pain to find the time inbetween a normal job and freelance animation work.

Oh I draw most of my stuff by hand, and then color it via photoshop. Sometimes I do some designs in flash and then color it in photoshop too.

Thomas

GoatboyBBMA on
    Goatboy