As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Canadian Supertrip 2009 : Goin' to Seattle, eh?

• MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What day does the bus group from Vancouver leave? I'd love to get in on that if it leaves on the 2nd or 3rd!!!

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The bus leaves on the morning of 3 September, I only just noticed I had forgot to put that in the post.

edit: Roster information updated as of whoever's posted interest so far. Edmonton starting point for South Edmonton Common will be edited in the map tomorrow.

b0wser on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    Hey, I think other people have mentioned this as well but I wanna make sure.

Is it ok if I book, say a double occupancy room at the Grand Hyatt and then show up with 3 or 4 people? It's a lot easier to cut down on costs if it's divided among more people.

A lot of people did that last year, but it's technically against the rules if you're not telling the hotel (so they can gouge you on extra-person costs). YMMV
    Mushrooms wrote:
    What day does the bus group from Vancouver leave? I'd love to get in on that if it leaves on the 2nd or 3rd!!!

We leave on the morning of Thursday the 3rd.

tr0tsky on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    By the way bowser, I notice you have the bus traveling backwards in time in the OP.

It's 12:30 PM.

Wormdundee on
  • SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think my friends and I might be doing the Supertrip from Red Deer this year. We haven't decided on if we want to do the full drive or stop in Hope for a night.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    By the way bowser, I notice you have the bus traveling backwards in time in the OP.

It's 12:30 PM.

That's not inaccurate. The Greyhound goes at 88 mph, so we arrive before we leave. More time for PAX Festivities.

tr0tsky on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would love to see a greyhound go that fast.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2009
    Ah excellent, so then the Magical Mystery Tour IS an option!

Wormdundee on
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Say does anyone happen to have flashy new driver's license by any chance? I got mine a month ago and I've been wandering whether it's the enhanced license and whether it is sufficient for me to cross the border with it.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Generals wrote: »
    Say does anyone happen to have flashy new driver's license by any chance? I got mine a month ago and I've been wandering whether it's the enhanced license and whether it is sufficient for me to cross the border with it.

Depends if its this one. From what I understood its not expanded beyond the 500 some odd lab rats yet. That being said the program was suppsed to expand this spring.

The Enhanced version will have a special code on the back that border guards can scan (same as passport)and your citizenship info on the front.

AbsintheMinded on
  • DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll be joining the trip again this year.

Group Leader: Daedaleus, alternate contact: CgKyle
    Starting Waypoint: Merrit info booth
    Vehicle: 1995 Chevrolet Suburban LT (Black)
    Riders: Myself, CgKyle, Stv, Steph, Nathan, Kit
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 0

Daedaleus on
    edited April 2009
    I'm in Victoria for a business retreat until Monday afternoon, so I'll update the OP as soon as I can.

b0wser on
  • DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Generals wrote: »

Depends if its this one. From what I understood its not expanded beyond the 500 some odd lab rats yet. That being said the program was suppsed to expand this spring.

yeah i talked to them last week and they are supposed to be giving them out in the next month or two.

Daedaleus on
    edited April 2009
    As far as I know, BC has released both now. The Enhanced looks the same, except that it says Enhanced on the top of the front, and the back side has a 3-line machine readable section at the bottom similar to the one on a passport.

I got my licence after March 2nd, the provincial rollout, but it's not the enhanced. BC just wanted to make them all look the same. I don't think they've got the RFID either. Mine has a normal electronic code section like the old licence did, but not the machine readable lines.

b0wser on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    b0wser wrote: »
    As far as I know, BC has released both now. The Enhanced looks the same, except that it says Enhanced on the top of the front, and the back side has a 3-line machine readable section at the bottom similar to the one on a passport.

I got my licence after March 2nd, the provincial rollout, but it's not the enhanced. BC just wanted to make them all look the same. I don't think they've got the RFID either. Mine has a normal electronic code section like the old licence did, but not the machine readable lines.

The ironic part is that the Enhanced licenses require more documentation (one of the acceptable supporting documents is a valid passport, lawls) and cost more ($66-110 vs $87) than a regular old passport... At this point it is probably less hassle to just get a passport if you didn't have one already. >_>

Theros on
  • usererrorusererror Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just wanted to confirm, since I see my group is still on the front page...

Even though I will be making the trip, I'll be going on the first so I can do the tour this year. If anybody needs a ride and wants to leave on the first, and can meet in Kamloops or Abbotsford, I'm coming down from Williams Lake and have 2 possible spots open. We'll be going back on monday the 7th for those who need a ride back, 2 spots back as well. Let me know :)

usererror on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Change of plans on my end. I'm going to be living in abbotsford for the summer and likely the winter following, so I'll be joining the convoy there instead of merrit.

Also, I only have 1 passenger spot now.

Yuritau on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also change of plans,

I'm going with ^ that guy. no clipper for me!

gimmie a min to figure out where i'm joining.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chances are good that if you're riding with me, you'll join the trip at the same spot.

Just sayin.

Yuritau on
  • ThatHalflingThatHalfling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hello, got 4 people that are crazy enough to be making the trip from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan by car.

Group Leader: ThatHalfling
    Starting: Tim Hortons @ 1341 32 Ave NE Calgary
    Vehicle: 200? Silver Toyota Matrix
    Riders: ThatHalfling(k3rnelpanic, Ghoulish89, Fastasaurus)
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    contact email: thathalfling at thathalfling.com

If anyone from farther west is making the trip we plan on leaving Saskatoon at about 12:00PM on the 2nd so if you want to meet up with us, just drop me a PM and we can work something out.

edit for names.
    edit again for names and contact email
    Final edit for last rider, who happens to be the driver.

ThatHalfling on
  • k3rnelpanick3rnelpanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hello, got 4 people that are crazy enough to be making the trip from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan by car.

Thanks for calling me crazy.

"See you in the car!", Milhouse.

k3rnelpanic on
  • MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey, who are you guys? I'm from Stoonerland to, just wondering if we know each other - my names Rikky

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
    edited April 2009
    AWESOME. I was always hoping we'd get some recruits east of Alberta, and now you're here!

b0wser on
    edited April 2009
    b0wser wrote: »
    AWESOME. I was always hoping we'd get some recruits east of Alberta, and now you're here!

Took a while because the forum registration was down.

Rikky... doesn't ring a bell. I'm Zack, good to meet you.

k3rnelpanic on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Took a while because the forum registration was down.
    Yeah, I'm glad they re-opened registration again.
    I finally get to post! Hurray! I've been following this thread forever wishing I could post.

Group Leader: Serenity
    Location: Maple Ridge BC (Will be catching up with the Vancouver group though)
    Starting Waypoint: Maple Ridge (or Delta, dunno yet)
    Vehicle: 15-seat Passenger Van
    Riders: 3
    Unconfirmed Riders: 3
    Space Available: 9 (or 12 depending on the 3 unconfirmed)
    Contact: PM, post on this thread or email me: derek34@telus.net
    Comment: Ok, probably gonna be a lot of questions/chatter about this so I'll try to clear things up right now...
    Thought it would be hella fun to rent a passenger van to head down there. Would be kind of cool to have our own private semi-bus...

Is this legal to drive?I already checked into this and budget said it's ok to take it across the border. Licensing-wise, no worries I have my full license and I don't mind driving most of the way as long as things don't get too distracting in the back (i.e. no partying or loud noises!) Although additional driving volunteers would be appreciated, driving could get a little tiring.

How much is the cost? Total cost to rent the van for 5 days (3rd to the 7th) is just shy of $1200 CAD plus gas. It sounds like a lot but think about it, if we fill the van with 12 people, it's only about $100/person. Less if we manage to cram 3 more peeps in. I don't mind fronting the money and picking the van up as long as people pay me back for it.

Any other questions just message me...

So whaddya guys think??
    I think it's a great idea and it would be lots of fun!
    I think there was mention of something like this in an earlier post.
    Not that expensive if you consider how much the train or greyhound is. Seems like there's very little risk as well...
    Only thing is I need more people to commit in order for it to work...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited April 2009
    Serenity wrote: »

That's a great idea. Too bad I'm out here in Saskatoon. I can't imagine what it would cost to drive that van half way across the country o_O

Don't worry about the border crossing, I took a rental down to the US last year for a road trip and there were no problems.

One suggestion, lie to budget about why you are renting the van. Tell them it's to pick up company executives at the air port or something. Last time we rented one we said it was for a wedding (which it was) so since we are young they assumed we'd trash it and gave us the worst van they had in their fleet. In the end it worked out because it was basically huge booze cruise but it was pretty broken up in side.

k3rnelpanic on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    You're going to want to find out how tall that van in. Seattle's parking garages are short (like 6'5" short), so if it's bigger than that, you'll need to find an open lot to park in.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2009
    Not that expensive if you consider how much the train or greyhound is.

I say, I say boy, are you casting aspersions on the greyhound.
    The cost of the Greyhound from Vancouver to Seattle is something like 35 dollars (roundtrip). JOIN USSSS

Wormdundee on
    edited April 2009
    Haha I knew there would be a lot of don't dos and do this and 'that's not a good idea' comments.

That's a great idea. Too bad I'm out here in Saskatoon. I can't imagine what it would cost to drive that van half way across the country o_O

Don't worry about the border crossing, I took a rental down to the US last year for a road trip and there were no problems.

One suggestion, lie to budget about why you are renting the van. Tell them it's to pick up company executives at the air port or something. Last time we rented one we said it was for a wedding (which it was) so since we are young they assumed we'd trash it and gave us the worst van they had in their fleet. In the end it worked out because it was basically huge booze cruise but it was pretty broken up in side.

Would only cost you an extra day... they charge you by day, not by mileage apparently.

The only problem with telling them it's for company use is that you need a special license to drive it then. Also, in my experience, all of budgets' vehicles are kept very clean and very nice inside. I don't think we would end up with a shitty vehicle from them.
    You're going to want to find out how tall that van in. Seattle's parking garages are short (like 6'5" short), so if it's bigger than that, you'll need to find an open lot to park in.

Thanks for the heads up Moe. If this whole thing works out, I guess I will have to find an open parking lot somewhere... Anyone know how Seattle parking is? In Vancouver you can usually find an open parking lot quite closeby to wherever you need to go. Also, the hotels usually have open parking lots for their customers. I dunno, does Seattle have less space?

The cost of the Greyhound from Vancouver to Seattle is something like 35 dollars (roundtrip). JOIN USSSS

Neva! My last Greyhound experience was horrible! Everyone on the bus was loud and the air smelled like plastic.
    Plus with Greyhound you don't get the luxury of having a private vehicle and you have less space...

So anyone interested so far? k3rnelpanic, you could probably meet up with us when you get into Vancouver... unless of course you're flying/taking a different route.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • stattekstattek Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    So now that the forum registration is open again - I'm thinking of heading down to PAX for the first time this year. I'll probably be traveling with a buddy and our wives, who will likely not be attending the event. Just a few questions:
    -Is the anything we should be sure to bring to PAX?
    -Can food/drink be purchased there or nearby?
    -What kind of touristy things are there to do is Seattle, or the surrounding area, if the girls don't go to PAX?
    -Anyone have some suggestions to save some cash on accommodations?

We're still working out the logistics of arranging this trip. I hope to join the group, but I won't know for a bit yet if I can get the time off. If I can join , it will be at the Castle Fun Park waypoint before the Sumas Way crossing in Abbotsford.

For completeness sake:

Group Leader: Stattek
    Starting Waypoint: Castle Fun Park, 36165 North Parallel Road, Abbotsford
    Vehicle: Small car, not mine.
    Riders: 4
    Unconfirmed Riders: 4

stattek on
    edited April 2009
    Bowser, you should join our super bus!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited April 2009
    Neva! My last Greyhound experience was horrible! Everyone on the bus was loud and the air smelled like plastic.
    Plus with Greyhound you don't get the luxury of having a private vehicle and you have less space...

Actually we pretty much took over our own half of the greyhound last year. Aside from our group the bus was fairly empty.... and no one complained about us playing the PAX07 DVD on ACC3SSs laptop, or the noise we made during our DS Tourneys.

But yeah if you'd rather pay like three times as much, have to find parking and want to drive instead of DS.... thats your prerogative. :lol:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited April 2009
    Haha I knew there would be a lot of don't dos and do this and 'that's not a good idea' comments.

Would only cost you an extra day... they charge you by day, not by mileage apparently.

The only problem with telling them it's for company use is that you need a special license to drive it then. Also, in my experience, all of budgets' vehicles are kept very clean and very nice inside. I don't think we would end up with a shitty vehicle from them.
    Thanks for the heads up Moe. If this whole thing works out, I guess I will have to find an open parking lot somewhere... Anyone know how Seattle parking is? In Vancouver you can usually find an open parking lot quite closeby to wherever you need to go. Also, the hotels usually have open parking lots for their customers. I dunno, does Seattle have less space?

So anyone interested so far? k3rnelpanic, you could probably meet up with us when you get into Vancouver... unless of course you're flying/taking a different route.

This map has area parking lots and garages listed, including height limits.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2009

Actually we pretty much took over our own half of the greyhound last year. Aside from our group the bus was fairly empty.... and no one complained about us playing the PAX07 DVD on ACC3SSs laptop, or the noise we made during our DS Tourneys.

But yeah if you'd rather pay like three times as much, have to find parking and want to drive instead of DS.... thats your prerogative. :lol:

Pfffpttt, my van idea still sounds like fun... Plus I may be coming down to help out with the BYOC LAN party. I run a LAN party up here and they're requesting equipment and volunteer staff.
    I may need the cargo space... another reason for a van...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited April 2009
    Pfffpttt, my van idea still sounds like fun... Plus I may be coming down to help out with the BYOC LAN party. I run a LAN party up here and they're requesting equipment and volunteer staff.
    I may need the cargo space... another reason for a van...

There we go, hauling tons of gear down... now thats a good reason for a van. lol.

Though with a full load of passengers you might not have room for a lot of gear, unless you have a few computers that can double as passengers. 8-)

Quick question on your original post. You mentioned you prefered to have a couple releif drivers. What are the age restrictions on drivers for the Budget dealer you are planning on renting from? Last time I checked on a van they required drivers for anything larger than a car to be 25+ and charged an extra insurance premium for each additional driver. They seem to love finding extra fees to charge their customers.

Just curious what their policies are now.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited April 2009
    Haha, nice link there...
    I'm not really expecting to fill the van to full passenger capacity anyway... but in case that happens, I'm sure we can fit it all in somehow...
    Just curious what their policies are now.

Well I didn't go into detail with the guy on the phone... he was just telling me the basic costs but he never mentioned anything about age restrictions... I'm hoping there are none. As for additional drivers, well it's all about what you decide to tell them, right? :winky: But yes, I'm sure they would slap on another fee for each additional driver. But if I never told them that... uh uh? uuhhh huh!

So why the questions, you considering coming along for the ride?

B0wser: you and your friend and your wives are welcome to come down in the van if you like...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited April 2009
    How many drivers do you need to drive for 5 hours?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2009
    Well I wasn't really 'asking' for a particular number. Just anyone with their full class 5 license (that's just a regular BC license) that would be willing to do some relief driving for a few hours.

Assuming we follow the CST though, we could switch around each pit stop so I dunno maybe 3 or 4 other drivers at best?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Plus I may be coming down to help out with the BYOC LAN party. I run a LAN party up here and they're requesting equipment and volunteer staff.

Who is exactly?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited April 2009

Well I didn't go into detail with the guy on the phone... he was just telling me the basic costs but he never mentioned anything about age restrictions... I'm hoping there are none. As for additional drivers, well it's all about what you decide to tell them, right? :winky: But yes, I'm sure they would slap on another fee for each additional driver. But if I never told them that... uh uh? uuhhh huh!

So why the questions, you considering coming along for the ride?

Nah I'm fully commited to the Greyhound trip.

My side job is in event management, so I have to deal with vehicle rentals every now and then. Was just curious if Budget changed their policies since the last time I dealt with them.

Plus I'll always pitch in thoughts and suggestions to get ideas off the ground, the more successfull CSTers we can get the better.

Just remember this year no trip from lower mainland will complete without joining in our Pre-Pre PAX festivities in Vancouver. That means you too b0wser, you better show up for at least one of our Vancouver based gatherings this year! :P

AbsintheMinded on
This discussion has been closed.