As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Newfangled Previews thread, beware here be spoilers.

• TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Valid points, and as someone who's wife is in the same line of work- I understand where you're coming from.

I just think you picked a weak example to harp on originally.

Tach on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's all cool, and I didn't care about the blue lanterns anyway, it was more about the FC tie ins having nothing to do with the event and creators upset the have to abide by the rules in someone else's sandbox.

TexiKen on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Just as Legion of Three Worlds is an independent story that has little to no ties to the greater Final Crisis story (so far, anyways).

It allowed Braniac Five to show Superman the Miracle Machine.

Also, what constitutes a tie-in is sometimes nebulous. Batman #683-83 were by all rights part of FC, but not tie-ins.
    See, but it's not. This is why it's so ridiculous when writers bemoan continuity.

If you don't want to write in a shared universe - if you don't want to take advantage of all the hard work your predecessors have put into setting up the stage - then why in the name of creation are you writing there in the first place? What's the point?

Wasn't one of the points of FC to point out that slavish devotion to a single continuity that does not and has never really existed is stupid and sucks the life out of the stories?

Oh, why yes it was. They even made the big baddy a story-sucking vampire in order to smack that point into people's heads as if Morrison was wielding a shovel.

The irony. It burns like Red Lantern vomit.
    If all these writers who hate continuity concerns were capable of producing successful work on their own without relying on those old continuities, then they would be doing it, because as people like Mark Millar have shown, it's far more personally rewarding and economically profitable. The fact that they're only writing in other people's worlds is a simple demonstration that they lack the ability or skill at this point in their career.

Brian Bendis has already made several very good points in refuting your argument, Mr. Kirkman.

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lettered, sequential preview of Destroyer Max #1

Goddamn! I'm making a trip just for this, holy shit! Gonna have to find some actual cash cash too, because I don't think I am getting anything else this week.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    I didn't make it to the store this week. Stinking work and apartment problems and arhg.

CBR preview of Wolverine: Weapon X #1

Looks good. Funny and goofy. A wolverine book that has some fun with itself has a lot of potential.

DouglasDanger on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All right, I'm going to pick that up now.

Wildcat on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, Logan's totally gonna tap that. We all know where he's gonna stick it then.

Or do we?

Chicka bow wow.

Teth on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So when is there a projected date for a Titans book to not absolutely suck?

Fencingsax on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, glad I got a year's subscription to this and Secret Warriors for $37.99.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone actually looking forward to the other Justice League title?

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2009
    Not anymore.

I don't care who the creator (artist) is, if they make it so that the work is delayed to irrelevancy because events have moved on (I'm not buying the make it a mini so that it means more), I don't care.

And it's even more frustrating when DC has let it happen repeatedly over the past years. It's as if DC don't care anymore, so fuck you, sir.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone actually looking forward to the other Justice League title?

Is the new Justice League title going to replace the current JLA book? Quite frankly I think it should since both Supes and Batman aren't even around anymore.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Is the new Justice League title going to replace the current JLA book? Quite frankly I think it should since both Supes and Batman aren't even around anymore.
    Well, Canary just broke it up because all the big 3 left and then Ollie was a dick and so on, but it hasn't been real clear to me.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of which, did we hear the rumour about Geoff Johns and Jim Lee possibly going on JLA in the near future?

Wildcat on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, Final Crisis Aftermath: Ink looks hella noice.

ink-issue-1-pg-01.jpg
    ink-issue-1-pg-02.jpg

Bloods End on
    edited April 2009
    Hopefully, the guy gets a regular book.

Fencingsax on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's some good art there. Is this Ink character new or relatively new?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    That's supposed to be the Tattooed Man from Final Crisis, I assume.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2009
    He's a legacy character - the current incarnation has been around since just before Infinite Crisis.

Edit: damn yooooo sax

Wildcat on
    edited April 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Speaking of which, did we hear the rumour about Geoff Johns and Jim Lee possibly going on JLA in the near future?

That reads like something that won't happen, like Bryan Singer writing Ultimate X-Men or J. Scott Campbell on Spider-Man or All Star Wonder Woman.

And even on the 1/100 chance it is true, DC should say nothing until they actually get some issues done by Lee. I used to be the biggest Jim Lee fan, now he just pisses me off.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    He's a legacy character - the current incarnation has been around since just before Infinite Crisis.

Know what bugs me about the second Tattooed Man? The first one had this whole redemptive storyline where he turned his life around and became a good guy, only for Rucka and Trautmann to write him into an arc of Checkmate, force him to do a, "Hurf durf, guess I can't change! I'm still a bad guy!" heel turn, and then kill him. Now in Ink, DC is doing a similar story, with the second Tattooed Man trying to reform.

It bugs the shit out of me that they could have used the original guy for the role, instead of the current iteration, who has been portrayed as a psychopathic, delusional, former hitman. Like, even if the dude wanted to reform, why would Green Lantern not just arrest him for the string of grisly murders he's responsible for?

This is why I'm against writers absent-mindedly offing characters in stories of no consequence.

Munch on
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

From NYCC:
    Final Crisis Aftermath: Ink, as the name implies, follows the adventures of Tattooed Man. "He tries to set out and do good," Sattler said. "It's about an addiction to evil, and cutting corners, and what happens when you can't stay away from 'the bottle' for too long. There's a riot in this book that's pretty awesome. There's a very disturbing surprise he comes across when he finds out what happens when the tattoos leave his body when he's at home by himself."

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/030904-FCA-ink.html -- Interview with the writer, Eric Wallace.
    Munch wrote: »
    Like, even if the dude wanted to reform, why would Green Lantern not just arrest him for the string of grisly murders he's responsible for?

Based on general comments about FC, probably because his actions helped save a billion people from being enslaved by the Anti-Life Equation.

Crimsondude on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    His wiki entry makes it seem like he hadn't been around for long. I hadn't heard of him before that Final Crisis special, where Black Lightning is all like, "Stay in school!"

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    His wiki entry makes it seem like he hadn't been around for long. I hadn't heard of him before that Final Crisis special, where Black Lightning is all like, "Stay in school!"

He was in one of the early Green Lantern issues after Rebirth... I want to say somewhere between 9 and 12, but I could be mistaken.

It was during the GL/Batman team up.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Based on general comments about FC, probably because his actions helped save a billion people from being enslaved by the Anti-Life Equation.

Yeah, but try applying that rationale to say, the Joker. Sure he melted Alex Luthor's face off, and in doing so derailed any further megalomaniacal plans, but the dude's still crazy as all Hell, and a dangerous criminal.

I'm not really bothered that they're using the character, or want to redeem him, I'm just annoyed that there used to be another character that could have very easily been slotted into the role, and the story would have been better for it. But because of DC's wasteful practice of casually getting rid of old characters with long, storied histories, they have to make due with a similar character that doesn't really work as well within the story.

Munch on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited April 2009
    VIXENS001_cvr.jpg

^Marvel's Sex and the City^

From this week's My Cup of Joe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good god girls, get some support. D:

Synthetic Orange on
    edited April 2009
    I guess Firestar is the "good girl" or the bunch, Monica will be the wisecracking black one (depends on how they use Nextwave), Felicia the slut and Patsy the crazy one?

TexiKen on
    edited April 2009
    I just hope narration isn't done in the form of insufferable magazine articles about relationships.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2009
    Christ. That's just dumb.

Really dumb. Seriously. Marvel Divas?
    This also seems like the perfect time to announce our Marvel Divas limited series, beginning in July, from Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Tonci Zonjic, featuring some of the Marvel Universe’s greatest female heroes in a way you haven’t seem them before.
    I’ll let Roberto explain:

“The idea behind the series was to have some sudsy fun and lift the curtain a bit and take a peep at some of our most fabulous super heroines. In the series, they're an unlikely foursome of friends--Black Cat, Hell Cat, Firestar, and Photon--with TWO things in common: They're all leading double-lives and they're all having romantic trouble. The pitch started as "Sex and the City" in the Marvel Universe, and there's definitely that "naughty" element to it, but I also think the series is doing to a deeper place, asking question about what it means...truly means...to be a woman in an industry dominated by testosterone and guns. (And I mean both the super hero industry and the comic book industry.) But mostly it's just a lot of hot fun.”
    Thank God I gave up looking for strong female characters and characterization from Marvel a while ago.

This is going to be a longer version of the Gossip Girls framing story from Giant-Sized Avengers #1. And that, to cut any suspense, sucked. Well, there was Mighty Avengers cheesecake. BFD.

The rest of the post is just something else.

Ted and Lisa
    What's going on with female Marvel characters? Jean Grey's been dead for several years now, Shadowcat's basically dead, Ms. Marvel & Wasp are dead, Scarlet Witch and Songbird have been written out, She-Hulk's been replaced, Storm's usage is limited... any comments? Just trying out some fresh faces?

JQ: We’ve got a lot of strong female characters in all our books right now. The X-books always have a lot of strong female characters. Domino, Wolfsbane, X-23, Siryn, Monet, Layla Miller, Mirage, Karma, Magick, Magma, Rogue, Armor, Emma Frost, Pixie, and maybe somebody else coming back into the mix…not all of those characters are household names, but honestly neither are some of the ones you mentioned.
    Storm’s only really sidelined if you don’t read ASTONISHING or BLACK PANTHER (who’s also female these days…), which you should!

Also, Elektra is female and she’s got her own limited series! Namora and Venus are right up front in Agents of Atlas, while Mockingbird is kicking butt and taking names in New Avengers: The Reunion.
    Then over in Guardians of the Galaxy we’ve Gamora, Martyr and Mantis; Medusa and Crystal going to war in War of Kings; and in the pages of Thunderbolts #133, Songbird will be battling it out with Black Widow II. And if that’s not enough for ya, over in War Machine, we have Cybermancer and Bethany Cabe keeping James Rhodes flying, while the magical Jennifer Kale is a star in Marvel Zombies 4.

So I’d say that the ladies of the Marvel Universe are doing pretty good!

And let’s not forget Sue Storm, Valkyrie, Zarda, Carol Danvers, Kitty Pryde & the newly minted She-Hulk (among others!) tearing it up over in the Ultimate Universe.

This also seems like the perfect time to announce our Marvel Divas limited series, beginning in July, from Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Tonci Zonjic, featuring some of the Marvel Universe’s greatest female heroes in a way you haven’t seem them before.
    I’ll let Roberto explain:

“The idea behind the series was to have some sudsy fun and lift the curtain a bit and take a peep at some of our most fabulous super heroines. In the series, they're an unlikely foursome of friends--Black Cat, Hell Cat, Firestar, and Photon--with TWO things in common: They're all leading double-lives and they're all having romantic trouble. The pitch started as "Sex and the City" in the Marvel Universe, and there's definitely that "naughty" element to it, but I also think the series is doing to a deeper place, asking question about what it means...truly means...to be a woman in an industry dominated by testosterone and guns. (And I mean both the super hero industry and the comic book industry.) But mostly it's just a lot of hot fun.”

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    Someone really thinks this will make girls read superhero comics? Really?

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    No way. That and the models comic seem to me to exist as anathema to attracting female readers.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    What are you talking about? Chicks love visible ribcages.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    i think it's a damn shame that joey q didn't talk about two of my current favorite lady-characters: dakota north and agent 13. they're great characters (not just "great female characters", which is a tich reductive) and they're some of my favorite parts of their respective books.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    The pitch started as "Sex and the City" in the Marvel Universe, and there's definitely that "naughty" element to it, but I also think the series is doing to a deeper place, asking question about what it means...truly means...to be a woman in an industry dominated by testosterone and guns. (And I mean both the super hero industry and the comic book industry.) But mostly it's just a lot of hot fun.”

fuck you. these things directly cancel each other out. pick either "hot fun", or "decent comic", because odds are you'll never get both
    though daughters of the dragon managed to be both...damn!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited April 2009
    It's shit like this that makes me think that Gail Simone is with DC because they're not as fucking deluded about sexism in comics.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    There's something weird about Roberto Sacassa writing it, because it just seems like Marvel went "gay guy writing Sex & the City in a superhero world, brilliant!"

TexiKen on
    edited April 2009
    Probably.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2009
    I think solving the problem of sexism in comics is a separate issue from how we get women to read comics. Women with no interest in comics at all aren't going to suddenly start reading if women start taking a more prominent and respectable role in the Marvel Universe, even if that does make the stories better in general.

If you want women to read comics, I think you need to start exploring different genres altogether and promote those books in a way that ensures people who don't visit comic stores to begin with will even see them.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.