As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fantasy Sandbox]Dwarfs (and non Dwarfs) go Adventuring (and Zombie Survival-ing)

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
So a while back I made this game for the times when I feel like running a very rules-lite fantasy adventure without having to teach people a new system. Now one of those times has come. Most of the system is rolling a d6 and aiming high. I'm more interested in awesome dwarves doing adventurous things.

There's some trouble in the dwarf lands.

dwarves.jpg

Dwarves dying, some lanky folk too. Someone needs to remedy this. Who else is going to do it, the Elves? The humans? Get your hammer out and lets do some fixing.

dwarves.jpg

In the course of fixing all the world's problems there'll be dungeons to explore, lands to roam, armies to gather and take to war, maybe some animals to ride and definitely some monsters to kill.

What? You need more inspirational art for character ideas? Well sure.

dwarf_fortress_graph_03.jpg

Choose your dwarf. I want names to be in the following format or better...

NAME the ADJECTIVE

And no pussy names like Kellogg the Meek.

I'll be planning on doing this on IRC some time next week. I'll be flexible with time based on who we have that's interested. You can grab me on irc.magicstar.net in #RPG_Design or #RPGNet to talk characters or system. I'll be watching this thread too, of course.

Who's in?

SUPERSUGA on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am always in for your games, SUGA.

I want to play TRUCK the ROBUST.

I will examine the rules SHORTLY.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thug the Hairiest.

If I can make your crazy trans-global IRC times, naturally.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rules sound cool.

Truck the Robust will ride!

Should I do numbers now, or later on when in IRC when you do the game.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can have a go at numbers now if you like. Unless I mention otherwise assume we're not using the optional rules.
    • Characters will be Dwarves and take any one of the three classes (Fighter, Scholar, Rogue). We will NOT be using the optional rules for multiclassing.
    • To make up for the no multiclassing each character has access to the three Dwarf perks in the optional rules for races in addition to their class perks.
    • We will be using "standard array" instead of rolling for skills and stats, so distribute 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 between Body, Mind and any three of the Skills and take any two perks. You can take the same perk twice to stack the effect.

If you want me to run you through chargen in a little more detail I'll be on the irc channel noted above for the rest of the night now. I'll try and listen out for PMs.

Regarding times, I have a nice juicy week off from work next week. This means I should be able to fit a couple of hours of game in any time from 10am round to 2am GMT.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Truck the Robust
    Dwarf Fighter

Body 10, Mind 2
    Melee 5, Craft 3, Awareness 1
    Hordefighter, Strongman
    Light Armour, Greataxe
    5 gold

Does that look right.

gold (1d6=5) also.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Looks good, Salt. You can spend that 5 gold however you like, too. Item prices are listed somewhere in the doc. You'll most likely be looking at common items, which cost 1gp each and are your standard rope, torch, hat, pipe fare.

I'd like our dwarfs to have nice pictures to represent them and when thinking of sources for cool dwarfs I remembered this card set I picked up a while back. See if there's anyone resembling Truck there and give us his card and mini.

As far as greataxe guys go these two jump out at me for you...

COMB13a.jpg

This next guy looks pretty robust.

COMB35a.jpg

But then you know Truck better than me.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    COMB63a.jpg

except we're not using dual-wielding rules so Truck has one big axe instead of two small ones.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I do love me some drunken dwarf shenanigans. I'll write up a character sometime later today.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I also like Hergar.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We can just imagine that dwarf with a big axe easily enough, Salt. No problem. Or if you want we can say he's just badass enough with those matched axes that they count as a greataxe. I'm easy.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm definitely into some dwarventuring.

Ambrose the Astute
    Dwarf Scholar

Body 3, Mind 8
    Shooting 5, Knowledge 2, Awareness 1
    Spellbook, Spellbook
    Staff, Shortbow, Hat url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2012970/]5 gold[/url
    Spells: Healing Touch, Magic Shield, Hold, Arcane Blast, Searing Light, Life Drain

Edit: Here's 'ol Ambrose. He has a thing for ravens.
    phoniex_mage.jpg

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Whoah, how do you get +4 to your Mind?

Do you add +1 to your mind or body in addition to the perks you take?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Whoah, how do you get +4 to your Mind?

Do you add +1 to your mind or body in addition to the perks you take?

Yeah. Every time you take a perk you get to add 1 to either your Body or Mind as a bonus. I definitely need to make that bit clearer in the doc!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    well then Truck has Body 10 ;O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sure. Just edit it in. Feel free to switch perks if that changes which ones you want to take.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If you want to be a Slayer stop being a pussy and sell that light armour. Or would you rather it represented badass tattoos?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the original truck totally ran around wearing nothing but pants

and then he died, in Gredavin's arena dnd game.

light armor from having awesome war tattoos would be damn classy though, people just too terrified to fight him

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll allow it. But you'll still get any negative effects that armour would give you. So when some monster comes along craving a dwarf in light armour for lunch he'll probably also have a craving for tattoo ink as well.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fair enough

NO MONSTER IS A MATCH FOR TRUCK

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm looking at making a melee Scholar, but I'm a bit worried that he'll be underpowered at later 'levels' compared to Fighters and Rogues. Since NPC's used purely for combat won't have need for skills other than melee or shooting, the scholar is kind of at a big disadvantage, even if I were using shooting.

I suppose the whole magic thing is supposed to balance this out, but do you know if it works out in practice? And are spells successfully cast on anything except for a roll of one? Can Invisible Hand be used for Stunts?

And how many dwarventurers are we expecting to have?

If any more questions pop up, I'll ask 'em.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How much does a kitten cost?

Edit: I changed my mind, make that a puppy.

piL on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hot damn, you have piqued my interest good sir. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Rurik the Heavyhanded

Going to write up a character as we speak.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not even sure if I'll really be able to play, but I figure I'll just make a character, and if I can play, then I will.
    I decided a kitten costs 2 gold. I'll change it if you'd like.

Kulet Tekkudid the Red, the Legendary Bone Carver
    Kulet Tekkudid likes Mica, Copper, Black diamond, Glumprong, crystal glass, the color gold, bucklers, backpacks, beards, earrings, puzzleboxes and bloated tubers for their stout shape. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese and Dwarven rum. She absolutely detests bats.

She is romantically involved with Aban Degrigoth. She is a worshipper of Kadol. She is a widow.

Kulet Tekkudid is slow to anger. She loves a good thrill. She can handle stress. She is relaxed. She is proud of her beard. She tends not to openly express emotions. She is trusting. She is immodest. She needs alcohol to get through the working day.

Class: Rogue

Body: 3
    Mind: 3
    Shooting: 2
    Craft: 8
    Grace: 5
    Perks: Precision, Skillful

Gear Odroz Dural, Crossbow, Grappling Hook (1gp), Hat(1gp), 20ft Rope(1gp), Set of Spikes(1gp), and a puppy Ineth Shedamost(2gp).

Gold:
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2013148/
    6! - 6 = 0
    Odroz Dural, "Fatal Bearded", a Dwarven bone dagger

This is a Dwarven bone dagger. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Dwarf bone, Dwarf bone, Native platinum, goat bone, and Malachine, studded with Steel, decorated with cave lobster shell and mule leather, and encircled with bands of Oak and Native gold. This object is adorned with hanging rings of Dwarf bone and Iron. On the item is an image of a Olan Tekkudid opening Fatbulls the Andesite door in Marble. On the item is an image of Mafol Tekkudid the Dwarf and a goblin in dwarf bone. The goblin is striking down Mafol Tekkudid .

Concept/Background:
    Kulet Tekkudid was a Bone Carver, with a husband and a son. When her husband was slain in a goblin attack, she was taken by a fell mood and possessed by forces both supernatural and cruel. She was compelled to slaughter her son and create a dagger out of him, in the process becoming a legendary bonecrafter. This warped her considerably, and the fell mood never totally cleared her system.

Edit: I think I figured it out.

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    did you just dwarf fortress all of your infos up, piL

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rurik the Heavyhanded
    Dwarven Shield Bearer - (Dwarven Fighter)

(Spoiled for Huge)
    dwarf.jpg

"I want ye to hit me as hard as ye can."

Body: 7
    Mind: 4

Melee: 5
    Craft: 2
    Awareness: 1

PERKS
    Armour Expert
    Weapon Expert - Axe

ITEM(S)
    Heavy Armour, Shield, Axe

GP - 6!(http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2013272/)

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sort of. I opened Dwarf Fortress, took a name from two different dwarves, took the information from one dwarf, and then modified it with traits from another dwarf. I used the name generator and looked at DF screenshots to make the artifact dagger.

I forgot to put this in the character post, but the character concept is this:

Kulet Tekkudid was a Bone Carver, with a husband and a son. When her husband was slain in a goblin attack, she was taken by a fell mood and possessed by supernatural cruel forces. She was compelled to slaughter he son and create a dagger out of him, in the process becoming a legendary bonecrafter. This warped her considerably, and the fell mood never totally cleared her system.

Dwarf Fortress is canon, right?

Edit: Is that bad INNS?

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Serokh the Silver-Eyed
    Arcane Face-Smasher (Dwarf Scholar)

Body 3, Mind 7

Melee: 3
    Presence: 5
    Knowledge: 1

Weapon: Staff [2 damage, counts as shield]
    Perks: Clever Fighter [+2 to Melee combat rolls when Mind is higher than opponent's], Spellbook
    Spells: Invisible Hand, Curse, Magic Shield
    [6 gold] - Torch, Flint and Steel, Cloak, Horn [4 gold] = [2 gold]

Serokh is a lecher. If it's alive, and can be considered 'female' he will use his incredible Presence to get it into bed. He is rarely serious in his interactions with others unless he happens to be using his sharply honed mind to find an opening, and while they're off balance, crush their skulls. In all other instances, Serokh relies on his wit to crack jokes at the expense of others, perpetually seeking to make light of the situation and impress the womenfolk.

Here he is. He's only making that face to impress the gelatinous cubette that was checking him out earlier.
    dw_armor_NPC_RuneLordKraggTheGrim.jpg
    Are we using professions? Nobody else seems to have one.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, I sort of assumed we weren't using professions. If we are, I'd like to make one up for myself:

Bone Carver - Using Craft to craft an object out of bone or Knowledge(?) to determine the identity of a dead creature by it's bones.

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    piL, am I wrong, or did you take five perks?

The Everyman on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gah! This game is like the closest thing to the beginning of Willow that I'll be able to get but I'm so damn busy!

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Suga, I went ahead and edited my items a bit. I figured it would be more useful to have a ranged weapon, considering I have shooting as a skill.

[Fancy Clothes] became [Shortbow] and [Hat].

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    piL, am I wrong, or did you take five perks?

He did what I did at first: misinterpreted Suga's post clarifying our stats and multiclassing.
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    To make up for the no multiclassing each character has access to the three Dwarf perks in the optional rules for races in addition to their class perks.

I thought this meant we automatically started with all the Dwarf perks, but I think it actually means you can select them to be one of your two starting perks.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    piL wrote: »
    Sort of. I opened Dwarf Fortress, took a name from two different dwarves, took the information from one dwarf, and then modified it with traits from another dwarf. I used the name generator and looked at DF screenshots to make the artifact dagger.

Kulet Tekkudid was a Bone Carver, with a husband and a son. When her husband was slain in a goblin attack, she was taken by a fell mood and possessed by supernatural cruel forces. She was compelled to slaughter he son and create a dagger out of him, in the process becoming a legendary bonecrafter. This warped her considerably, and the fell mood never totally cleared her system.

I asked because your dwarven bone dagger is "Inset with dwarf bone, dwarf bone, ..."

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bahh, I can't stop tinkering with my dwarf! I edited him a little more, but, grahh.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    piL wrote: »

I asked because your dwarven bone dagger is "Inset with dwarf bone, dwarf bone, ..."

That was on purpose, because I thought it would be funny, but instead it was convincing.

Also, yes, I was confused about the multiclassing stuff. I will fix that immediately.

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, looks like we need to clear up a few rules here.

We're not using any optional rules other than the ones I've mentioned. This means no professions, at least to start with. Mostly in the interest of keeping things super simple.

When I say you have access to the Dwarf perks in addition to your class perks I mean they're options, you don't get them automatically. So a starting scholar will choose two perks in total from the perks listed under Scholar and Dwarf.

Again I'll clarify that whenever you take a perk you get +1 to either Mind or Body as a bonus, so starting characters will have two bonus points to spread over Body and Mind however they wish.

As for a puppy, the closest thing we have on the list is a Warhound for 15gp. I'd say you could take a puppy for 2gp if it's a newborn that you're going to have a look after a fair bit. For a walking-around puppy I'd say 4gp and anything resembling a working dog will be more like 8.

Other than that it's awesome to see so much interest.

As for the concerns about balance this is very much a level-less system and an untested one at that. The thing with there being so few skills and each being so broad is that it's hard to make a character that won't be able to contribute at all. Sure, your scholar won't be quite as good in melee as a fighter that's focusing on it completely but this isn't going to be a world that scales with level and leaves you behind.

I never did like the idea that now the party is level 10 the orcs they're fighting are suddenly level 10 orcs. Getting more powerful just means you get to head into the more dangerous areas with a little more confidence, but that dragon is still going to be there from day one if you wanted to try your luck.

As for times, I spoke to Everyman last night and we agreed on a provisional time of 9pm GMT on either Monday or Wednesday. Would anyone be able to fit in there?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    9pm GMT = 4pm CST?

In that case, it would work out just fine for me.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Being as you're dwarfs from Hamur Valley you'd all know the basics of the surrounding lands, seen below in loving detail.

sandbox.jpg

Hamur Valley is a collection of dwarf mining settlements, of which Guldtun is the only one resembling a town. Probably a good idea to at least live there at the present moment even if you want to be from somewhere else in the Dwarflands.

The Southern Dukedom below is the outskirts of a human kingdom that spreads north. K'Thar looks over the Wasteland to the East and he's just a dick.

Regarding scale each hex is very roughly one hour's walk if it's pretty clear, so around 3 miles or so across.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My stats were messed up, but I think I fixed them. I think the only thing I might change is the character's gear, so that the puppy can be walking around--I'm not sure; I didn't really intend for the animal to be terribly useful. And also the background. Her husband wasn't killed by goblins, but rather, he was murdered by a carp.

That should be an ok time for me on Wednesday I believe. It might be on Monday, but that's a little more shady, especially since I have a class at 8pm est.

piL on