As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EvE General Discussion

1686970717274»

• KorebanKoreban Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tenel doesn't "get" goons x a million.

That's okay, Outer Ring is a nice region and I'm sure your campaign in Pure Blind and Deklein is going to do wonders for you.

Koreban on
  • TenelTenel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yep because thats where I am! *eye roll*

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tenel wrote: »
    sure I did.

Just also wanted to point out, the anshar wasn't killed. It was lost.

Pilot stupidity caused it to be lost. Period.

Back to step 1. Denial.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    He accepted a random gang invite.

Thats not some amazing kill by the goons. Its stupidity on his part.

Try to spin it any way you want, but anyone with a brain understands that concept.

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Then why don't you tell us where you are.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited April 2009
    You're certainly being evasive about it. You can come here and play CAOD lite with us psuedogoons because of your Corp/Alliance's CAOD posting ban if you want. The speculation and meandering certainly has enlivened the discussion here and that's always a great way to bring more people in under our banner.

I would appreciate, for the sake of this discussion, if you would not slander the finest corporation in Goonswarm by insisting on referring to the KenZoku alliance as Band of Brothers. We take pride in the fine people of the Band of Brothers corporation who uphold the glorious tradition of Goonswarm and represent the best of our Alliance.

Koreban on
    edited April 2009
    www.agony-unleashed.com

Thats where I am. <3 venal.

Bob will always be bob. Like I said, haargoth gimped a name. He didn't take the heart out of Bob.

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    heh

"HEH"

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Jesus, did I call it or what?

Haargoth didn't take the heart out of BoB, he took their name. We broke their spirit when we camped Kenny into PR- for a solid month, then again when we broke their capitals not 3 hours after Molle hurfblurfed about their triumphant return to retake Delve.

Koreban on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Let's stop responding to the trolls please. This thread already has one warning by the mods.

Also I spent a lot of time writing a nice guide to exploring a few hours ago and it would be nice if the people I wrote it for actually get to see it.

Bremen on
    edited April 2009
    Bremen wrote: »
    Let's stop responding to the trolls please. This thread already has one warning by the mods.

The mods can't be bothered to lock our recruitment post for the last month so we can put up an updated one. I doubt they'll bother to come in here and red pen us for hurfing and blurfing for a couple pages. It's not like we're calling each other names or anything.

Koreban on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I'm curious, as an outsider whose only experience with EVE is the 21 day trial about a year ago (and lets just say I was overwhelmed and confused), is it possible to be a Smuggler? And smuggle things?

My life long dream is to follow the early career path of Han Solo. I was to be the guy that makes the kessel run. I want to have narrow escapes, and carry illegal merchandise for profit. Is that possible in EVE?

I don't really have much desire to captain a giant titan class ship. I want to be a guy in a fast, maneuverable ship, and smuggle things.

My knowledge of the game is very limited. Like I said, I tried the 21 day trial a while back but I was so overwhelmed that I really spent less than 4 hours online during those 21 days.

If I give it another shot, I need to have a mission and a purpose. And I just want to know if what I described is even possible?

Well, there are illegal items (the only really useful one being combat boosting drugs) in game, and the NPC customs officers will try to scan your ship and stop you from smuggling them around, and there are ways to try to avoid getting caught, but it's not really a very utilized game mechanic, and there's not much money in it.

More realisticly, there's importation/exportation to and from low sec/0.0. The things you'd be moving would be perfectly legal, but various players would try to kill you, pirates to steal your cargo, hostiles to keep your cargo from being used against them, and griefers just to get kills and ruin your day. Compensating for the risks, there's often a large difference in market value between empire and 0.0.

There's a variety of ships that could be used for such things. Small, fast ships are sometimes able to escape from gatecamps (players waiting to ambush you at a stargate, the only realistic way they'd catch you if you were just moving from A to B); there's a special ship type called a blockade runner which can use an advanced cloaking device to hide, has a cargo bay much larger than any normal combat ship (but much smaller then the dedicated transport ships), and is very fast and nimble; or a jump drive equipped capital ship capable of skipping over the gates altogether (The preferred, but most expensive and labor intensive method).

The problem with importation is competition; there's plenty of people who do importation in their jump freighters, so if you were using a small ship or blockade runner you'd be squeezing by with the small jobs they didn't bother with.

You would be quite happy in the small ships however. Frigate V is easy to get, and opens up interceptors, and covert op ships (bombers/ewar ships are still worthless essentially).

The real import/exportation is really trying to find a niche in the market, t2 items are generally the best idea. However, other items such as NPC trade items are only available from certain regions.

While smuggling drugs isn't the best way of making money, it definately is possible. Either the actual combat boosters players use, or the npc trade item drugs.

Sadly the job of importation in 0.0 space is essentially covered by people with the aforementioned jump freighters, carriers, dreads, etc. Even trade within our own space is quite simple, as THE WEBWAY that's been setup allows coverage from nearly every main station system to the others. You can entirely get away with an unstabbed hauler stuffed to the brim with whatever you feel like ferrying around.

The skill Black Market Contacts or whatever, and other skills relating to smuggling have been entirely removed from the game, though I still have the ones from back in the day. The group RELAX run by ess&whizz were also primarily involved with this (and their channel Narcotics is still in use), their angle was to bring mission items out to any location in game to meet the time deadline of the mission their client was running. While fun, it's also a niche in the game which CCP has personally said whatever, we don't care about this. Also part of the reason why they were exploiting the shit out of moons to ruin the drug market.

Either way, you need to have tenacity to try getting into this. Me, I'm trying to produce drugs, but honestly it's seemingly a niche which is going to drive me to bankruptcy. :\

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited April 2009
    For scanning, there isn't much of a market for it, but the right intel can be worth billions to the right people.

Koreban on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Koreban wrote: »
    For scanning, there isn't much of a market for it, but the right intel can be worth billions to the right people.

The question then becomes "Do I know if the scan information I have is worth anything and who the hell wants to buy this info."

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2009
    That's where your marketing and social networking skills come in handy. Is someone interested in this regional scanning information and bookmarks/instas for the systems? Who's soaking up moons nearby and would like to know where a couple dozen R64/R32/Cad moons are? What's the approximate value of all of these moons and what would an acceptable cut, either one time or over time, of money be worth.

Should I work as an independent or join a coalition?

Scout or scavenger?

Koreban on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's where your marketing and social networking skills come in handy. Is someone interested in this regional scanning information and bookmarks/instas for the systems? Who's soaking up moons nearby and would like to know where a couple dozen R64/R32/Cad moons are? What's the approximate value of all of these moons and what would an acceptable cut, either one time or over time, of money be worth.

Should I work as an independent or join a coalition?

Scout or scavenger?

Or should I join an E-LEET PEE VEE PEE corp, click my tongue at goonfleet and hurf blurf about space bushido.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2009
    Can you even legitimately complain about people hurfblurfing on an EVE thread when the metagame is such an integral part to said game?

:pipe:

Dac on
  • Fourier_seriesFourier_series Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Contrary to 100 million rabid, drooling, keyboard facerollers, WoW isn't the end-all-be-all of MMOs. Some people like their games crippled with 2 button controls with free subscriptions to Kleenex-at-home and grouphug therapy sessions. Some people would rather floss their teeth with razor wire and wipe their ass with sandpaper.

The point is that there are other games out there that aren't WoW and are still MMOs. Swearing off MMOs because WoW is lousy hardy gives you a chance to enjoy some other perfectly fun games that aren't made by ActivisionBlizzardVivendiSierraEAMegaGameConglomerate Corp.

(You see, EVE is a lot like wiping your ass with sandpaper... furthermore

Yeah, one thing that has really piqued my interest about EVE, as others have stated, is that it is apparently possible to pretty much just log in for combat. The primary thing that just burned me out on WoW a couple years ago was just the fact that in order to achieve anything worthwhile I had to put in ungodly amounts of time (for example, I put in like 8 hour raids 4-5 days a week for several months in order to get my atiesh pre-BC expansion, for the WoW knowledgeable people reading this).
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Nullsec is really only dangerous in general if you're untagged and wandering around the borders. And even then there are plenty of places where neutrals are usually only hunted down and butchered like the animals they are if a war's on and a gang in the area hasn't seen any action in too long.

This is why I kind of want to try this game, even if it means forsaking the vow I made after quitting WoW to never play another MMO.

DO IT.

Also - I expect a pilot with a similarly obscure name :p

Haha I'll probably give EVE a shot, although I'm not sure what I'll end up doing in it if I'm not in a big corp. I doubt I'd get in MerchI/Goonswarm if I applied, since my account is fairly new and I don't really know anyone. But unlike that other guy from a few pages back, I'm aware of what recruitment is like for these kinds of things (my WoW guild was sort of a big deal back in the day) and so I'm not very expectant of anything.

Thanks for noticing the name by the way. I'm not sure who's the bigger nerd though, me for using it or you for mentioning it.

Fourier_series on
    soldierpw2.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Don't let yourself start thinking EVE is a job, though. darius_JOHNSON (Goonfleet ceo, MY CEO), even makes sure he takes breaks often. It's incredibly easy to burn out on EVE, because at the very core of it, EVE isn't all that engaging of a game by itself. It's the communities you find yourself in, the people you get to know that keep you playing. Once you lose sight of that, it's easy to let yourself have 3-4 accounts subbed that you never actually log into. Keep things in perspective. If you're not having fun playing, log out for a while, play/do something else, and log back in later and see what's going on. Don't let yourself burn out and find the game to be a tedious, but neccesary, waste of time.

Have fun. Keep the goal in mind. It's a fucking game.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    www.agony-unleashed.com

Bob will always be bob. Like I said, haargoth gimped a name. He didn't take the heart out of Bob.

Oh yeah, that's some mighty fine space you have there. Thanks for giving us the "We didn't want that space anyway" line.

smokmnky on
    edited April 2009
    I don't even really think of EVE as a game. I tried that the first time I played, and came away immensely disappointed.

Now I'm playing again, over a year later, because I've decided to approach it as more an "experience" than something you have a ton of "fun" at.

Dac on
    edited April 2009
    i spend much more time posting about eve than playing eve

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    www.agony-unleashed.com

Oh yeah, that's some mighty fine space you have there. Thanks for giving us the "We didn't want that space anyway" line.

Did I ever say anything about not wanting space or having space to begin with?

No?

My only comment was, I know people in BOB who are nothing but 100% excited at the prospect of a years worth of nonstop fighting assuming goons don't roll over and give up.

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My only comment was, I know people in BOB who are nothing but 100% excited at the prospect of a years worth of nonstop fighting assuming goons don't roll over and give up.

Oh I'm sorry, guess it's "Freed from the shackles of POS warfare then" instead.

smokmnky on
    edited April 2009
    Look, this really isn't the place to start spewing some pro-ken/bob rationalizations. We've literally heard the same crap for years now, and they've been spouting the same lines since the time that they were actually relevant. They could claim their 'omnipotence itself' garbage, way back when they were remote DDing a single kestrel on a gate, but not anymore. They could say "WE'RE IN IT FOR GOOD FIGHTS" all they wanted to while having 100 carriers parked on a gate having fighters eat everything before they even loaded grid, we didn't believe it then and don't believe it now, sorry.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    I never said shit about pos warfare.

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't even really think of EVE as a game. I tried that the first time I played, and came away immensely disappointed.

Now I'm playing again, over a year later, because I've decided to approach it as more an "experience" than something you have a ton of "fun" at.

Honestly, I think plotting out scenarios, designing ships for them and then training towards those ships is my biggest participation in the game.

I mean, when I'm really playing I'm just tackling at a gate camp in windowed mode while watching hulu or basketball or something.
    I never said shit about pos warfare.

Yes, you did. Owning space is POS warfare. You said, "They're happy they don't have to hold the space and can just fight for awhile."

You actually haven't said anything that isn't covered in those stages of Kenny/Russian Beaver denial.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited April 2009
    There was a tactical advantage to not having AAA and the rest come to delve prior to goons dropping bob poses.

And in all honesty, losing delve was a good thing for bob and its memebers. It secures a years worth of endless fighting. But yeah, you are right. A lot of people dislike bob, but the more goons run their mouth, and the more people actually learn to ignore the propaganda they spew, the more people start to side with bob.

I assume the bolded is what you are trying to quote?

Do you spill so much bull you actually believe it now?

Not once is there a single mention about pos warfare or poses.

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

marty_0001 on
    edited April 2009
    Things aren't out of hand. There's 1 thread for discussing EVE. This is it. We're discussing eve in a civilized and rational tone. I don't think anyone has called someone a vapid cunt or a fuckstain yet. When it gets there, then yeah, whip out the green mod text al a caod.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have my first Harbinger.

<3

It is so pretty.

Fuzzy dice and leopard print seat covers for reals.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hazywater wrote: »
    I love the "Didn't want it anyway" mentality.

What are the steps of failure in Eve? There are seven!

1. Denial (We aren't losing)
    2. Appeal to emotion (This will make us stronger)
    3. Rationalization (We didn't want it anyway)
    4. Delusion (Freedom from the shackles of POS warfare)
    5. Distraction (Wolfpacks, back to having "fun")
    6. Vague threats (We'll be back)
    7. Acceptance (*Goes to syndicate*)

He's on number 5 and 6.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2009
    Things aren't out of hand. There's 1 thread for discussing EVE. This is it. We're discussing eve in a civilized and rational tone. I don't think anyone has called someone a vapid cunt or a fuckstain yet. When it gets there, then yeah, whip out the green mod text al a caod.

God, you're a moronic goat-fucker.

Does anyone have an ammo recommendation for playing with small artillery on destroyers? Tremor is raw terrible since most of my targets would be assault frigs or intys (hopefully heading towards someone else and not me), so just going with good old Nuclear seems like a decent option. I'm trying to balance alpha strike with the possibility of trying to get multiple shots off when running with a HAC.

Darkewolfe on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faction long range, skew towards explosive since most inties have terrible resists and are armor tanked if they are tanked at all. Yes, a few shield tank, but its more common for someone to slap a plate in a low than sacrifice a valuable mid.

Assault frigates will fit to patch any holes in their resists, so it matters less.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

God, you're a moronic goat-fucker.

Does anyone have an ammo recommendation for playing with small artillery on destroyers? Tremor is raw terrible since most of my targets would be assault frigs or intys (hopefully heading towards someone else and not me), so just going with good old Nuclear seems like a decent option. I'm trying to balance alpha strike with the possibility of trying to get multiple shots off when running with a HAC.

lock thread reporting to mods

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hazywater wrote: »
    Faction long range, skew towards explosive since most inties have terrible resists and are armor tanked if they are tanked at all. Yes, a few shield tank, but its more common for someone to slap a plate in a low than sacrifice a valuable mid.

Assault frigates will fit to patch any holes in their resists, so it matters less.

actually Damage Control tank is the most likely currently.

Ethea on
    edited April 2009
    I can't see an inty pilot slapping a plate on, as the whole point to being an inty is not being slow.

Damage Control is across the board, so yeah, I guess explosive or kinetic still makes the most sense.

Edit: So, Nuclear S like I said. Hmm.

Darkewolfe on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    I'm locking this in the morning so someone who actually plays the game better copypasta the OP before then.

A duck! on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck it, post the new recruit thread here in this forum since the mods won't lock the old recruiting thread in G&T

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    copypastaing, Thread title suggestions welcome

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.