As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EvE] It's slightly less boring than discussing politics

DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Play nice. If someone is trolling, don't respond to them. Report the post.

Gentlemen, welcome to EVE Online.

EVE Online is an MMO set in the space region called New Eden, irrevocably separated from Earth after an incident involving the Eve Gate, the one connection between New Eden and Earth.

The game world spans hundreds of solar systems, divided into several regions of varying security level from 1.0 to 0.0 -- the former being highly patrolled by NPC police, the latter being lawless territory for the largest player corporations to war over. It would take several hours at best to travel from one side of the galaxy to another.

Not only is the game world vast in a spatial sense, but in a player sense. Eve Online is entirely unsharded -- every single player shares the same game world, with between 15,000 - 55,000 players online at any given time.

The mechanics of Eve, allowing player corporations to claim sovereignty over resource rich 0.0 space, has led to the emergence of player-created geopolitics that, for many, are far more interesting than the game content itself.

Space is divided into three general security levels on a scale from 1.0 to 0.0. 1.0 to 0.5 is considered high security Empire space, where players who commit aggressive acts against other players will swiftly and inevitably have their ships destroyed by the NPC police organization CONCORD. High security space is not a TOTAL guarantor of safety, but it's close.

0.4 to 0.1 is considered low security Empire space, where aggressive acts can take place without CONCORD retribution, but your personal security status will dive and automated turrets around stations and gates will open fire for a time.

0.0 is lawless space; there is absolutely no retribution for aggression, and most players consider it to be where the real meaty stuff takes place. It also has the best resources in terms of NPC bounties and asteroids to mine in the game. It's completely player-run. Players hold sovereignty over space, and players make the wars.

Here is the current map representing alliance influence, updated daily here, if you really need to actually read who those nebulous blobs of color represent.
Also, a good resource for sovereignty and territory information is DOTLAN so check that out too.

This is a quick look at current influence holdings as of april 7th:
influencef.png

POLITICS
I will attempt to keep this section as barren as possible, in the interest of generating speculation and controversy. If someone does a decent rundown of known spaceholders and their current situations it may be placed here.

Major Events / News of the past months
- BoB disbanded as an alliance in EvE, gets turned into a Goonswarm Corporation
- Goonswarm takes Delve with the help of their Brosefs
- Kenzoku Alliance (previously BoB) join with -A- and many other friends and try to take back delve. Currently have gained ownership of a station system in querious; 49-. Battle still rages for control.
- Some stuff with Pandemic Legion trading dread fleets in a big brawl over northwards, some 90+ caps destroyed
- Kenzoku dread fleet destroyed in a hot drop. Speculation about if the dreads were replaced or not still rages.
- xXdeathXx and solar doin some same ol same ol over by drone regions I think they are p. happy with their stuff
- IRC/ED tried to open a second front on RA to help out A.S.S.C.A.K.E.S. to ease pressure but they got all their alliance assets stolen and the entire NC reset them instead.
- Some russian guy sold $100 000 worth of timecards to help his alliance and buy stuff for them
If I missed anything gimme a shout.

This thread not strictly war / politics, but should be considered more of an Eve General Bullshit thread -- possible mechanics / patch changes, inane tidbits about what you did in Eve today, discussion of how awesome exotic dancers are, they're all fine here.

Newbies or non-players who like chatting about the game's politics or general news should feel free to hop in, but please keep newbie questions related to joining Merch Industrial or newbie questions related to basic Eve information like skills/fittings questions to the threads linked at the top (which I hope vets will post in, to help the newbies out both in-game and here).

It's also not an GS vs. ?????? thread. Merch Industrial is part of Goonswarm, so naturally the information and discussion will tend that way, but honestly I'm always curious what the fuck is going on up north, in the drone regions, or in Providence and Catch because I never hear about them anymore. So if you're from there, fill us in, and I'll try to keep the OP updated.

tf2_sig.png
DeadlySherpa on

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Keep it clean, people!

Who am I kidding, just don't poke any eyes out with your dicks.

A duck! on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are we having dick swordfights?

DUDE, YOU NEVER HAVE THEM TOUCH!

So, what's the easiest way to get faction S ammo out to 0.0? Just pay someone who is jumping their own stuff?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LeafsForLifeLeafsForLife Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any chance you know someone with a jump freighter?

LeafsForLife on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What!? What is that? CCP Engineering Alliance?! I haven't looked at the sov map since goons took full control of delve/querious.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hurfing

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    MelMel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    What!? What is that? CCP Engineering Alliance?! I haven't looked at the sov map since goons took full control of delve/querious.

That's just the inaccessible dev-playground area. Sov used to be under the "Tanis Alliance" name, but I'm guessing they changed it so they wouldn't have to lock the weekly eve-o thread where someone gets shocked/appalled that discontiguous space has been taken by some alliance they've never heard of.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    marty_0001 wrote: »

It actually is a dev alliance in a region of space that can't be normally reached. They use it for testing stuff, supposedly.

Bremen on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    they have no idea how their game works, so they try things out on the live server to figure out some of the mechanics

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Isn't that what the Test server is for? :?

Hurray for Jove Space \o/

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Isn't that what the Test server is for? :?

No, the test server is for people who have some small clue about how the game works, ie a small part of the playerbase.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And over-arching patches which affect everything, rather than what we're saying which is they use it to test and figure out how things work in their own game where nothing is seemingly recorded or explained beyond players figuring things out, and passing on our tenious knowledge to the newbees.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    ValVal Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm setting up a clean alt right now and jesus fuck is industry boring.

e; I also just saw a pubbie who's been in the Minmatar training corp for 5 years, wtf?

Val on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are we having dick swordfights?

DUDE, YOU NEVER HAVE THEM TOUCH!

So, what's the easiest way to get faction S ammo out to 0.0? Just pay someone who is jumping their own stuff?

if you are in goonswarm, the correct answer is interbee. Otherwise find a friendly JF, Rorq or blockade runner pilot that does importation.

Ethea on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rich Russians are bankrolling alliances? That's some crazy shit.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »

more like a standard day in EVE.

Ethea on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ethea wrote: »

Reading Mittani's stuff always makes me really interested in the whole spy meta-game of eve. Even knowing that 90% of it is dull as hell, it sounds like the other 10% is awesome enough to be worth it.

Unfortunately from what I can tell it seems like effective spying requires two active accounts, which is more than I can afford to maintain as an unemployed college student.

Still, a man can dream.

Horrible, horrible dreams of doing terrible things to innocent people for fun and profit.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't forget that Mittani likes to embellish quite a bit, but it's what makes his posts so interesting.

After all, EVE IS politics, that's a significant portion of the fun.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Abbalah wrote: »

Reading Mittani's stuff always makes me really interested in the whole spy meta-game of eve. Even knowing that 90% of it is dull as hell, it sounds like the other 10% is awesome enough to be worth it.

Unfortunately from what I can tell it seems like effective spying requires two active accounts, which is more than I can afford to maintain as an unemployed college student.

Still, a man can dream.

Horrible, horrible dreams of doing terrible things to innocent people for fun and profit.

It was the shacknews article that came out a few years ago about the Mittani that got me interested in Eve. I did a lot of spying in the faction war, but that doesn't really count since there is no way to kick people from the NPC militia corp. As a result, there are a lot of spies. It was a lot of fun listening to the enemy's vent and guiding our own fleet into the perfect position to ambush them. My favorite moment was during a pos attack, when a mixed corp fleet was hiding within the shields. They posted the shield password in the fleet chat, and I used my main account to post it in local. They frantically changed it, forgetting that it would eject most of the fleet from the shields. The result was about 75 kills to 5 losses, it was total carnage. :)

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't forget that Mittani likes to embellish quite a bit, but it's what makes his posts so interesting.

The politics of it is so interesting, though.

I have wondered how honest Mittani is in those columns, though. Fun as they are to read, it seems like publishing detailed explanations of your espionage tactics and how they might be countered would be poor strategy.

Like the Empire sending out a memo saying "Our ONE WEAKNESS is the thermal exhaust port; if anyone were smart enough to shoot at that, we'd be fucked. Tune in next week for our column "How To Kill A Star Destroyer: The Bridge Is Right Up Front, All Vulnerable And Exposed"'

Abbalah on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Still, a man can dream.

It was the shacknews article that came out a few years ago about the Mittani that got me interested in Eve. I did a lot of spying in the faction war, but that doesn't really count since there is no way to kick people from the NPC militia corp. As a result, there are a lot of spies. It was a lot of fun listening to the enemy's vent and guiding our own fleet into the perfect position to ambush them. My favorite moment was during a pos attack, when a mixed corp fleet was hiding within the shields. They posted the shield password in the fleet chat, and I used my main account to post it in local. They frantically changed it, forgetting that it would eject most of the fleet from the shields. The result was about 75 kills to 5 losses, it was total carnage. :)

That is awesome. I didn't even know that woudl happen - I would have jsut told our guys the PW :P

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The politics of it is so interesting, though.

Agreed. Reading about this stuff makes me want to fire up my old account again and venture out further from High-Sec space.

Havelock on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm a high SP minmatar pilot and I everyone says I should train Amarr.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yep, you should

I'm training amarr bs V right now :)

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »

you should amarr currently is the king of the following:
    • Dreads
    • Fleet BS
    • Delve Ratting BS
    • RRBS
    • HAC Snipers

Ethea on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The article about the russian is pure gold, and on the next page he talks about cutting some guys power to kill his titan :D This game is dangerous.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some days I wish I had the time to renew my account and join back in with the fun. I had almost finished Amarr BS V (well, before they killed ghost training).

Even if I'm still in corp my stuff's mostly stuck in the old Goon stations though.

Nobody on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was high SP in Caldari (T2 Large Rails etc) and trained up for Amarr Battleships, not reloading is great.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can someone explain what ghost training was?

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oronis wrote: »
    Can someone explain what ghost training was?

Setting a long skill on training and unsubscribing. It kept training while unsubscribed.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Apogee wrote: »
    That is awesome. I didn't even know that woudl happen - I would have jsut told our guys the PW :P

We were attacking the POS at the time, so we had to keep the DPS on the tower. Also, since you can't attack another ship while inside the shields all we could have hoped to do was bump them out. By sharing the password in local we forced them to leave the shield and also made them distrustful of their own fleet.
    Vent:
    Fleet Member: "What noob just posted our password in local?"
    FC: "Whoever just posted that is being kickbanned from all Caldari fleets!"
    Another Fleet Member: "Er, it was a Gallente."
    FC: "What?!"

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aside: Bremen, thanks for the Scanning note before. Just had my first WH run, got very lucky while trying out scanning, and think I might keep up with it for a while. Somehow I had quite a bit of success without realizing that the scanners mark things on their outer edges, not within the sphere. Beginners luck, I guess.

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the new scanning system makes my head hurt. of course I wasn't good with the first version either so

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Captain ActionCaptain Action Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone encountered gate campers smartbombing .4 sec gates before? They got me into structure last night, that's with a warp to 0.

Captain Action on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone encountered gate campers smartbombing .4 sec gates before? They got me into structure last night, that's with a warp to 0.

I've seen disco traps (all stabs and smartbombs), but they usually hang out near stations. I guess if they knew the direction the ships were coming from and put themselves far enough away to activate the smartbombs it might work.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Before heavy dictors, MS used to smartbomb gates a lot in lowsec.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of discos... check out what happens when a lot of overeager tacklers get too close...

http://killboard.eve-ivy.com/?a=lossesmonthly&m=04&y=2009

April 4.

Note that the Hyperion qvq lost that day was worth many times over all those t1 frigs...

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »

you should amarr currently is the king of the following:
    • Dreads
    • Fleet BS
    • Delve Ratting BS
    • RRBS
    • HAC Snipers

Funny, when I was Amarr people laughed at me and told me to use Caldari or Minmatar ships.

On another note, when I saw the updated exploration stuff, I almost resubbed. Until I realized that the only way to make any profit on it would be to bring a battleship as everything would be super-guarded anyway, so it was just fancy ratting.

I've love if you could make a profit without needing heavy firepower through exploration. Not a LOT of profit, but enough to break even would be neat.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of discos... check out what happens when a lot of overeager tacklers get too close...

April 4.

Note that the Hyperion qvq lost that day was worth many times over all those t1 frigs...

For future reference, you can click on "related kills" on a mail page to link to a "battle summary" which will show all of the ships involved in an engagement.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

April 4.

For future reference, you can click on "related kills" on a mail page to link to a "battle summary" which will show all of the ships involved in an engagement.

Oooft, seeing the list of everyone involved there, I'd say those qvq guys did bloody good taking down that many frigates.

Spam on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

April 4.

Did anyone get podded?

Thing that scares me most about PvP is 20 mil isk of implants >_>

Teslan26 on