As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Watch out! There's a new wiki in town!

ZythonZython Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I know, with how many various wikis that are around on the internet, a new one isn't much news. However, this is too good to pass up. This wiki's purpose it to combat the inherant "bias" of the ever-popular Wikipedia.

Presenting: Conservapedia!

Bringing straight to you all the "facts" of the worlds straight from the conservative viewpoint. For both of you that think my snark may be uncalled for, here's the text from the article on unicorns.
The existence of unicorns is controversial. Secular opinion is that they are mythical. However, they are referred to in the Bible nine times,[1] which provides an unimpeachable de facto argument for their once having been in existence.
In the original texts, unicorns go by the Hebrew name Re-em whereas the Greek Septuagint used the name Monokeros.[2] Unicorn itself is Latin. All three names mean "one horn".

While popularly characterized as a horned member of the horse baramin, it is likely that the unicorn was actually quite unhorselike. One recognized theory is that the unicorn was actually the rhinoceros,[1] however a growing number of Creation researchers are theorizing that the unicorn was actually a member of the ceratopsian baramin.[2]
Post-Noachian references[1] to unicorns have led some researchers to argue that unicorns are still alive today. At the very least, it is likely that they were taken aboard the Ark prior to the Great Flood.

So, what do you all think? If you find any "interesting" things there, be sure to link.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
Steam: pazython
Zython on

• Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think you've happened across one of the many entries created by bloggers who've fucked with the site at a rate that far exceeds the administrators' ability to control.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I did the entry on "scientific method"

It's not a funny one though

edit: I was really hoping FARK would've picked this up by now

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think you've happened across one of the many entries created by bloggers who've fucked with the site at a rate that far exceeds the administrators' ability to control.

If that's the case, they've hit the entire site:
    The Wikipedia entry for the Piltdown Man omits many key facts, such as how it was taught in schools for an entire generation and how the dating methodology used by evolutionists is fraudulent.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »

If that's the case, they've hit the entire site:
    The Wikipedia entry for the Piltdown Man omits many key facts, such as how it was taught in schools for an entire generation and how the dating methodology used by evolutionists is fraudulent.
    No, I'm pretty sure that one's authentic.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    On the main talk page:

"Should Conservapedia be taken offline, or locked against editing, on Sundays?"

Smasher on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

not at all

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    On the main talk page:

your sig was going :| as I read this.

It fit well

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm tempted to send an e-mail, asking them how they expect family-friendly information to reflect the reality of family unfriendly situations. And if they don't expect to tell the whole truth in such situations, (say a bigraphy of an influential but all too human figure) how they can claim to dispense accurate information.

AcidSerra on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    On the main talk page:

That's not even accurate if we're going by the Commandment.

Editing a Wiki hardly constitutes as "work". For many people, it's more of a hobby.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd just like to note that that 'Lean the Bible' page on unicorns linked to is signed with the phrase 'Till He Comes'.

Snork on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    edit: I was really hoping FARK would've picked this up by now
    It's funny that you say that because I just learned about Conservapedia on Fark this morning. I figured that this was a satire site, like Black People Love Us.

Raggaholic on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Conservapedia is a terrible fucking name for something like this. I'm tired of this bullshit where "conservatives" have to be religious fuckwads.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Conservapedia is a terrible fucking name for something like this. I'm tired of this bullshit where "conservatives" have to be religious fuckwads.
    Blame The South.

Thanatos on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, I hope everyone's happy. It appears to be dead - I can't get the page to load anymore.

I wanted to bring up the entry on Islam, which was one of the first things I checked out.

Anyway, here's an interesting blog entry with a bit about the guy behind the whole mess, as well as some wonderful quotes.

Jon Swift: Conservapedia

Andrew_Jay on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Dude seriously - people need to stop saying all homeschoolers are homeschooled because they have crazy ass religious parents. I know a lot of home schooled kids personally but I have yet to meet one who was taught at home for religious reasons.

Shinto on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Well, I hope everyone's happy. It appears to be dead - I can't get the page to load anymore.

I wanted to bring up the entry on Islam, which was one of the first things I checked out.

Anyway, here's an interesting blog entry with a bit about the guy behind the whole mess, as well as some wonderful quotes.

His name is "Jon Swift"? Definitely a satire site then.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »

His name is "Jon Swift"? Definitely a satire site then.

You didn't open it, did you.

Shinto on
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Dude seriously - people need to stop saying all homeschoolers are homeschooled because they have crazy ass religious parents. I know a lot of home schooled kids personally but I have yet to meet one who was taught at home for religious reasons.
    That's because you live in the Northeast, where religious extremism isn't nearly as popular as it is in the rest of the country.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 38.4% of homeschooling parents cite religion as one of the reasons they homeschool. I know that probably a good half of the kids I knew who were homeschooled were homeschooled because of religious reasons, and most of the rest because of some crazy belief that all public schools are full of drugs and gangs, with daily shootings and kids smoking up in class, which, as far as I'm concerned, is just as bad as religious reasons.

Thanatos on
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    That's because you live in the Northeast, where religious extremism isn't nearly as popular as it is in the rest of the country.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 38.4% of homeschooling parents cite religion as one of the reasons they homeschool. I know that probably a good half of the kids I knew who were homeschooled were homeschooled because of religious reasons, and most of the rest because of some crazy belief that all public schools are full of drugs and gangs, with daily shootings and kids smoking up in class, which, as far as I'm concerned, is just as bad as religious reasons.

Wow 34%.

Way to rebutt my point. Powerful.

Shinto on
  • FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Homeschooling for religious reasons is pretty big in Texas. Hey, just look at the Texas Eagle Forum. I go to Baylor University in Texas; the majority of the home-schooled kids who end up here are almost all very, very religious. But I'm not going to try to draw a conclusion from that.

I can't speak for the rest of the country or even the south, but I'd say a majority of the kids who are homeschooled in Texas are for either A) Religious reasons, or 2) some sort of activity the child does. If gymnastics or somesuch sport is literally the kids life, they are often homeschooled... but again, a majority of the homeschooled kids I meet down here are very religious.

I read the OP and was like "Does the OP not realize that this conservapedia is ironic... I mean the unicorn entry..." but I guess it isn't. Its getting obnoxious, the religious tie to the word conservative. Ugh.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow 34%.

Considering that your original point was that not all homeschoolers are homeschooled... it doesn't really need rebutting.

Regardless, religion is an issue in a minority of homeschoolers.

Yar on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Wow 34%.

Considering that your original point was that not all homeschoolers are homeschooled... it doesn't really need rebutting.

I'm confused? What possible reason is there to homeschool your children beyond disabilities that make traditional schooling impossible and crazy-batshit religious reasons?

I'm not claiming anecdotal evidence is conclusive, but of the 50 plus homeschoolers I've met in Upstate NY at some point in my life, each and every one was homeschooled for religious reasons.

werehippy on
    edited February 2007

Wow 34%.

Yes, because that was my goal: rebutting your point. :roll:

Thanatos on
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

"notihng useful has ever come of the theory of relativity"

I guess the chump has never heard of Nuclear power...
    I am so unsure wether it is satire or not.. Because it's not FUNNY, but it's so STUPID...

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm glad conservatives are continuing their crusade on making the point that they're the people that are opposed to facts and favor made up shit.

Hoz on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    Wow 34%.

I'm confused? What possible reason is there to homeschool your children beyond disabilities that make traditional schooling impossible and crazy-batshit religious reasons?

I'm not claiming anecdotal evidence is conclusive, but of the 50 plus homeschoolers I've met in Upstate NY at some point in my life, each and every one was homeschooled for religious reasons.

I was homeschooled for a year because my previous elementary school was pretty crappy. I enjoyed it, but regular school is fine too.

<--- not religious at all.

Smasher on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow 34%.

I was homeschooled for a year because my previous elementary school was pretty crappy. I enjoyed it, but regular school is fine too.

<--- not religious at all.

I understand that there are people (apparently 66% of homeschoolers) who don't do it for religious reasons, I just don't understand reasons like the one you gave. Is there anywhere in the US where there's only 1 school district available?

I mean, if you're homeschooled, you have a parent home full time, so you should be able to drive to the next district over, and there's usually only a nominal enrollment fee for going to another school district. So why did your parents chose to home school you instead of transfering you to another school?

werehippy on
  • Controversy CowControversy Cow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    fjafjan wrote: »

I am so unsure wether it is satire or not.. Because it's not FUNNY, but it's so STUPID...

I am willing to bet a large sum of money that he doesn't consider Nuclear Power to be something useful.

Controversy Cow on
    edited February 2007
    Wow 34%.

. . .

Shinto on
    edited February 2007

Wow 34%.

What did you think, I was arguing that no homeschoolers are kept home for religious reasons?

Shinto on
    edited February 2007

Wow 34%.

What did you think, I was arguing that no homeschoolers are kept home for religious reasons?
    No, I was merely clarifying, bringing some actual information into the debate (instead of just "I know a bunch of people") and attempting to explain where your perspective likely came from.

Thanatos on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

No, the truth is even worse(ie: more hillarious). They thought that the Theory of Relativity was the same thing as Moral Relativity. You can't make shit like that up.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I am willing to bet a large sum of money that he doesn't consider Nuclear Power to be something useful.

I'm fairly sure that the theory of relativity has very little, if anything, to do with nuclear physics.

jothki on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jothki wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that the theory of relativity has very little, if anything, to do with nuclear physics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

" E_{rest} = m c^2 \,\!

This energy is referred to as rest energy. The rest energy does not cause any conflict with the Newtonian theory because it is a constant and, as far as kinetic energy is concerned, it is only differences in energy which are meaningful.

Taking this formula at face value, we see that in relativity, mass is simply another form of energy. In 1927 Einstein remarked about special relativity:

Under this theory mass is not an unalterable magnitude, but a magnitude dependent on (and, indeed, identical with) the amount of energy.[2]

This formula becomes important when one measures the masses of different atomic nuclei. By looking at the difference in masses, one can predict which nuclei have extra stored energy that can be released by nuclear reactions, providing important information which was useful in the development of the nuclear bomb. The implications of this formula on 20th-century life have made it one of the most famous equations in all of science."

Couscous on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    as well as some wonderful quotes.

"some wonderful quotes" as in, "every damn sentence".

NightDragon on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I understand that there are people (apparently 66% of homeschoolers) who don't do it for religious reasons, I just don't understand reasons like the one you gave. Is there anywhere in the US where there's only 1 school district available?

I mean, if you're homeschooled, you have a parent home full time, so you should be able to drive to the next district over, and there's usually only a nominal enrollment fee for going to another school district. So why did your parents chose to home school you instead of transfering you to another school?

Some people in the Bible belt who homeschool because they feel the public schools are too religious.

I guess that's kind of homeschooling for religious reasons, though?

LadyM on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Someone wanted the Conservapedia post on Islam? Well, here's a post about the article on Islam.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LadyM wrote: »

Some people in the Bible belt who homeschool because they feel the public schools are too religious.

I'm picturing a school system somewhere in the Bible Belt which, while being pretty religious and turning off those families who aren't, is not religious enough for those who really are . . . and nobody goes to it.

Heh, entry for the Iran-Iraq War:

"[Blah, blah, blah, poor grammar, spelling mistakes] . . . Over three thousand people died in the Iran-Iraq War."

Now that's what I call a conservative encylopaedia.

Andrew_Jay on
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

" E_{rest} = m c^2 \,\!

This energy is referred to as rest energy. The rest energy does not cause any conflict with the Newtonian theory because it is a constant and, as far as kinetic energy is concerned, it is only differences in energy which are meaningful.

Taking this formula at face value, we see that in relativity, mass is simply another form of energy. In 1927 Einstein remarked about special relativity:

Under this theory mass is not an unalterable magnitude, but a magnitude dependent on (and, indeed, identical with) the amount of energy.[2]

This formula becomes important when one measures the masses of different atomic nuclei. By looking at the difference in masses, one can predict which nuclei have extra stored energy that can be released by nuclear reactions, providing important information which was useful in the development of the nuclear bomb. The implications of this formula on 20th-century life have made it one of the most famous equations in all of science."

wait, so you're saying that energy is equal to mass times the speed of light squared?

big deal. It's not like that means that we could potentially get massive amounts of energy from a small amount of matter and like, use it to build power plants, or drive huge ships or maybe even use it as a weapon somehow.

jeez:roll:

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
    edited February 2007
    LadyM wrote: »

I'm picturing a school system somewhere in the Bible Belt which, while being pretty religious and turning off those families who aren't, is not religious enough for those who really are . . . and nobody goes to it.

Heh, entry for the Iran-Iraq War:

"[Blah, blah, blah, poor grammar, spelling mistakes] . . . Over three thousand people died in the Iran-Iraq War."

Now that's what I call a conservative encylopaedia.
    Well, it's true. It's even close, as long as you don't count non-Americans as people. And I mean, really, who would?

Thanatos on