As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On]Battle for Wesnoth. Open Source FE+AW.

191011121315»

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wesnoth, eh?

I could be down for this.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm still down for this. If nobody else is around, I'll be down for Dystopia instead, I suppose.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Game on?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    On it is.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Great games tonight TOH, even if those spearmen ended up turning my drakes into ribbons.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Things that were relearned:

1. Undead vs Undead is a hellish slog

2. Loyalist Spearman + Drakes + high noon = hahahaha

I look forward to more 1v1s and bigger brawls.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now idling in the lobby, anyone up for a game?

Edit: Or the client an disconnect after a few minutes of idling. That works too. Well whatever, I'm still down for a game, but I won't be in game unless someone else posts here.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Anyone up to play tonight? I should be around till midnight EST perhaps.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kayne is down.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    See you in the lobby.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quick, someone come save me from getting my ass kicked.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I'm down for some games. Which version are you guys using?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Alright, I'm down for some games. Which version are you guys using?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quick, someone come save me from getting my ass kicked.

Heh, how quickly those tables were turned. Those skirmishers ate me alive.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If anyone would be interested, I could be available at the same time as last night (10-12 EST) for more games tonight, and possibly all week. Hurray 14 hour workdays wiping out all other commitments.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thread Necromancy! (Why start a new one when this one's still good?)

Wesnoth 1.6

Sunday, March 22 2009

More than one year has gone by since we released Wesnoth 1.4. To thank you for more than 3,000,000 downloads via sourceforge.net, we now proudly present Wesnoth 1.6. You can look at the (translated) release notes to get an idea about what has changed since 1.4. For those who just want to play, the new release is available for download. This stable release is compatible with the last two release candidates for 1.6. If you have any comments, we would be happy to hear them in the forum thread dedicated to this release. We hope there are no bugs left, but if you find any, report them.
    We are also looking for help in several areas, so that many other releases of similar caliber can follow this one. We are especially looking for translators, graphic artists (sprite, portraits, terrain, story images), music composers (a background in classical composition, and good equipment required), sound artists (for special effects), authors (writing/maintaining campaigns, creating content like unit descriptions, improving the ingame help) and, of course, coders. If you want to participate in developing Wesnoth, just have a look at the forum or visit us in the IRC channel #wesnoth-dev on irc.freenode.net.

Update Notes:
    Campaigns

There is a new mainline campaign, The Legend of Wesmere, with new gameplay features including (in one scenario) the ability to use the game AI as your commander for an allied side, setting its objectives as you like. Search for this hidden feature by right-clicking on your allied commanders during scenario 7. This campaign was imported from the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev project, where it spent a few months being adapted for mainline.

Almost all mainline campaigns now use a different method of carrying over gold from scenario to scenario: the amount of gold retained is now 40% instead of 80%, but it is added to the minimum starting gold of the next scenario instead of only replacing it if higher.

Many mainline campaigns have improved storyline prose and new cutscenes or epilogs. Several have improved and redrawn campaign maps. All now have dates in the Wesnoth history timeline, and almost all have journey animations on their campaign maps. The history and geography of Wesnoth have been developed in more depth and detail: More campaigns now include references to events in the overall history, adding depth and richness to the narration.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer server can now be logged onto using the username and password of a Wesnoth forum account. However, registration is not required and one can continue to use an unregistered username.

The multiplayer lobby has been improved to allow easier management of the friends and ignores list by double-clicking on the player list.

Notable changes to default era balancing include:

* Increased the cost of the Goblin Spearman from 8 to 9.
    * Increased the movement of the Goblin Spearman line from 4 to 5.
    * Increased the melee attack of the Goblin Spearman from 4-3 to 6-3.
    * Added the traits weak, slow and dim and made goblins each receive one of them instead of two standard traits.
    * Added the marksman special to the ranged attack of the Orcish Assassin line.
    * Increased the cost of the Walking Corpse from 7 to 8.
    * Decreased the cost of the Bowman from 15 to 14.
    * Decreased the melee attack of the Bowman from 6-2 to 4-2.

General

The game graphics have been improved with a whole new range of unit portraits. Many more units have full animations and team coloring.

There is a new basic terrain type, coastal reef, which gives most land-based units slightly higher defense than in regular shallow water, and 70% defense to most water-based units such as mermen and nagas. Forests get more variety with graphics for spring/summer, fall and winter deciduous forest terrains. There are new village graphics for human cities and primitive tribal areas.

Our composers have added five new original background tracks: Heroes' Rite, Siege of Laurelmor, Suspense, The Dangerous Symphony and The Deep Path. Also, the game now plays special music clips for victory and defeat events.

The game interface has continued to evolve, especially in making more dramatic use of portraits. Unit recall dialogs now display useful information about your veterans' traits. Add-ons now display their category when you browse them on the download server.

New game translations include Arabic, Croatian, Friulian, Latvian, Macedonian and Marathi. Existing translations have been extensively updated and revised.

For Content Developers

The map editor was much improved (thank you, Google Summer of Code). It can be started from within the game now. You can toggle overlay displays of terrain codes and map coordinates while editing. The editor can handle multiple maps in a session, and you can take screenshots of full maps. There's also a new interactive editing tool for animated journey tracks.

There are some new core units available everywhere: Troll Shaman, Royal Warrior and Dread Bat.

Less visible changes include improvements in the game AI, including a new formula-based AI that allows more flexible setting of objectives and an improved pathfinding algorithm. As usual, WML has grown more powerful with many new tags and attributes to extend the range of what campaign authors can do. The GUI engine is under heavy development; these changes will allow the entire GUI to be configured from WML. The first steps have been made, but the project is not finished yet and will continue in the 1.7 development cycle.

The support for writing Python AIs has been removed because the feature opened a serious security hole. However, we hope to build an even more powerful AI-scripting feature, possibly using a different and safer extension language, in 1.7.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am so ready to get back playing this. Downloading now.

PLAN FOR THE FUTURE

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been thinking of checking up on Wesnoth for quite a while (I haven't touched it since 1.31 came out, which was over a year ago), so I'm glad to see there's a new version.

Maybe I'll actually get into it this time.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This was such an Epically good game, in a way that no other open-source game has ever been that I can recall. Maybe Freespace 2, but even then I think Wesnoth still has it beat.

If I ever get some free time (Damn working two shifts and only having 4-6 hours remaining for things like sleep per day! =( ), I'm definitely jumping back in. I've missed it, like the deserts miss the rain.

Yes, yes I did use that simile.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    While I have no idea how much free time I will have these days, at least I now know how it will be spent.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My family and I are moving to a new place this weekend, so I'll be gettin' my downloadin's in next week.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    if anyone is around and would like to dust off their Wesnoth skills with me, I should be available for a little bit.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Picked up the new version and I've been playing through the new campaign; obviously the gameplay still stands up, and the new artwork is nice. :)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The new version is nice and it runs well off my thumb drive. So now I can play at work! :D It's still a good game, even if I suck horribly at it. I can beat the AI if I stack the game in my favor but otherwise I get screwed.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    The new version is nice and it runs well off my thumb drive. So now I can play at work! :D It's still a good game, even if I suck horribly at it. I can beat the AI if I stack the game in my favor but otherwise I get screwed.

Some parts are really difficult, but in general you just need to stack the odds in your favor - terrain use, time of day, etc.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, I know all that, and I'm slowly getting better. It's just taking time is all.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh I understand :D

Took me a while to catch on, and I know I still have plenty to learn.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The one problem I've always had is the need to grind and powergame your units a bit to keep them able to not die horribly later on in most solo campaigns. Getting about 3/4 the way through a campaign and suddenly hitting a brick wall because your units are underleveled is annoying as hell.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    The one problem I've always had is the need to grind and powergame your units a bit to keep them able to not die horribly later on in most solo campaigns. Getting about 3/4 the way through a campaign and suddenly hitting a brick wall because your units are underleveled is annoying as hell.

Yeah, there's been debate about that on the forum - on one side, people saying that every map should be winnable by a force of level 1 recruits. On the other, people saying that the game forces you to think and plan carefully to retain your best units and shouldn't be "cheapened" by making it easy.

I kinda like it the way it is - I take care of my more powerful units and it's always hard to lose one. Gives it a little more meaning for me.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The only unfortunate drawback is that first game where you spend a lot of time having tried to create a more "balanced" force only to realize what you probably really need is only a handful of really powerful heroes.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

Yeah, there's been debate about that on the forum - on one side, people saying that every map should be winnable by a force of level 1 recruits. On the other, people saying that the game forces you to think and plan carefully to retain your best units and shouldn't be "cheapened" by making it easy.

I kinda like it the way it is - I take care of my more powerful units and it's always hard to lose one. Gives it a little more meaning for me.

Well, it's less keeping a unit alive than "shit, I have to bring in this dude from halfway across the map to get this killing blow so he can level." I found that if you just seized opportunities where you found them, you end up with a smattering of low-level units with nearly full xp bars.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

Well, it's less keeping a unit alive than "shit, I have to bring in this dude from halfway across the map to get this killing blow so he can level." I found that if you just seized opportunities where you found them, you end up with a smattering of low-level units with nearly full xp bars.

Learning the art of administering the killing blow on an opponent with the right guy is one of the techniques that really helps elevate one's game. At some point leveling up guys will become second nature and instead of having a ton of almost there guys you will have dudes who level up (and thus get a full heal alongside their inherent improvements) at just the right instance to completely turn the tide of a battle.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]