As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
In this thread you ask questions about comics or things related to comics! Do not ask questions related to illegal things or things such as professional sports teams unless you are asking if they were in a comic book!

DJ Eebs on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does the last Runaways by Vaughan come out this week?

deadonthestreet on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    dear whippy

jla07covercmykcroptk1.jpg

why do people pay michael turner

Garlic Bread on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does the last Runaways by Vaughan come out this week?

Yup. On the 28th.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Keith, that's not really that bad of a picture. It's not the best or anything, but I've seen much much worse.

It is servicible.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I swear I've seen that pose on at least half a dozen different covers.

Fencingsax on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That woman's body isn't... I mean it dosen't... it's not...

It dosen't go.

august on
    edited February 2007
    I thought once that we had a rule where instead of whining about creators we don't like we talk about creators we do like. Because lately there has been very little difference between this place and Newsarama.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    Keith, that's not really that bad of a picture. It's not the best or anything, but I've seen much much worse.

It is servicible.

except Wonder Woman is all fucked up anatomically

and she's not even "in" the picture. she was pasted over

and the frontmost T-Rex's arms look like they're growing off of tits

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, it's like an M.C. Escher painting. Except shitty, and with boob-like representations.

august on
    edited February 2007
    I thought once that we had a rule where instead of whining about creators we don't like we talk about creators we do like. Because lately there has been very little difference between this place and Newsarama.

1) everyone hates michael turner

2) you hate everything

Garlic Bread on
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »

2) you hate everything

1) yes, I suppose

2) I like Osamu Tezuka

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited February 2007
    So... was Justice League Elite just some sort of fucked up Authority rip off? Was it any good?

august on
  • HankStamperHankStamper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dear Whippy (or anybody),

Is there anywhere I can buy single issues of comics? (Like Annihlation or Nextwave)? I ask because my LCS is completley out of Annihilation and as far as I know don't plan on re-stocking anytime soon. I am far too impatient to wait for the TPB.

Thanks

edit: p.s. I checked the Marvel website and all it offered to sell was the first 12 issues of The New Avengers.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    edit: p.s. I checked the Marvel website and all it offered to sell was the first 12 issues of Nextwave.

That is actually pretty nifty, depending on the price. Link?

DarkPrimus on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

2) you hate everything

Oh sweet irony.
    jk Keith.

Marathon on
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    edit: p.s. I checked the Marvel website and all it offered to sell was the first 12 issues of Nextwave.

That is actually pretty nifty, depending on the price. Link?

Ahhh fuck, I am a tool. Will edit my original post if I still can, but I meant The New Avengers.

But in case you are still interested:
    http://subscriptions.marvel.com/title/NEW_AVENGERS

Jesus fucking christ, I am retarded again. Its a subscription.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So. I have a friend who wants to get into comics. Without any previous knowledge. I really don't know what the hell to tell him. I was ranting to him about the Red Son mini so he's going to give that a looksie. But from there I don't know what the hell to say. I was considering suggesting Watchmen or Sandman but I feel that may be too epic for a newbie. Where do I begin?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    eBay is pretty much your only recourse when things are out of print and out of stock at the distributor. If you're not comfortable bidding yourself, your local shop will probably do it for you, possibly with a small fee on top of the price plus shipping. Within the last month, I got ahold of about a half-dozen Annihilation books through my LCS just that way, and they were still priced reasonably. Good luck, they really are worth finding singles of.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

It is servicible.

Well Keith if you don't like it, please draw us something better.

Cariblue on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd mention The Red Star...but, if he's new just show him some of the Ultimate line, or some Superman. While I don't read DC, the people I know who do dig that Superman shit lately.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited February 2007
    So. I have a friend who wants to get into comics. Without any previous knowledge. I really don't know what the hell to tell him. I was ranting to him about the Red Son mini so he's going to give that a looksie. But from there I don't know what the hell to say. I was considering suggesting Watchmen or Sandman but I feel that may be too epic for a newbie. Where do I begin?

I dove head first into Civil War with nothing but knowledge from cartoons, movies, and sparse comic reading when I was really young, and I survived it not only unscathed, but with a really good primer in all sorts of characters. I wholeheartedly recommend it as a starting point if you can help him get ahold of at least the main line and some of the big tie-ins (I suggest Amazing Spider-Man, since it fills in the most info of any of them).

A lot of great books are just now starting up too that are beginner friendly, like Immortal Iron Fist, X-23, and of course Moon Knight.

Also, don't forget to mention that Wikipedia is his best friend when he gets lost.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just wanted to spare him the giant let down of Civil War, but I suppose I should subject him to our pain.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cariblue wrote: »

It is servicible.

Well Keith if you don't like it, please draw us something better.

That would be a fair challenge if Keith were given the money to draw that that Michael Turner was. As soon as money gets brought into the equation, you should feel free to critique something as harshly as you want. It's Turner's job to draw. I don't know about you, but I expect that people do their job at least somewhat as competently as their peers.

ed: Also, I don't hate that piece as much as his usual stuff.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited February 2007
    I just wanted to spare him the giant let down of Civil War, but I suppose I should subject him to our pain.

I'm not going to argue about why someone should or should not like it, but I absolutely loved it. I would guess it's because it's where I started, and I didn't have any expectations from any of the characters or of the outcome. What made it a great experience for me, as a newbie, is that I could read up on all the characters, decide who I liked, and play the "choosing sides" game throughout the whole thing.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I definitely think Watchmen is a bad idea, since an understanding of comics helps in appreciating it. Have you thought about the Marvel adventures digests? They're aimed at kids, but the Avengers book has better writing than almost anything Marvel puts out, and Fantastic Four is by Fred Van Lente, so I have confidence that it will be awesome even though I'm waiting for the digests to arrive. Seriously, I'm considering giving up on all comics except the Marvel Adventures line.
    Also, if you're looking for single issues, did you try www.milehighcomics.com or www.mycomicshop.com ? They seem to be highly recommended.

Adaemus1sf on
    edited February 2007
    Well, being pretty new to comics myself: I would recommend the following to people trying to get into them.

1) Find a Superhero you like, Amazon or Wiki that superhero and find the best books/ graphic novels of the superhero you can (the Amazon ratings haven't lead me astray thus far, so until I get screwed I will trust them). Also, this forum does provide a pretty good source of information. The forumers here have pretty diverse and good tastes, so introduce him here(?).

2) Make your friend read a "team" comic / graphic novel so that he is introduced to a broader spectrum of superheroes. Personally, for new people: I think Kingdom Come is pretty damned good since one doesn't really need any backround information on any of the heroes to understand the premise of the story.

3) Don't forget that there are other comics other than superhero ones out there. I enjoy Batman and Superman related comics as much as the next guy, but your friend will miss out on a lot if he doesn't at least check out stories such as The Sandman, Preacher, The Swamp Thing, etc. There are also some great "on a more serious" graphic novels out there, too: such as Maus, which wouldn't be a bad thing for a new person to read.

4) It is never too early to get people to read "epics" such as The Watchmen or The Sandman. I don't have any comic reading friends, but what hooked me, at least, was the greatness that is The Watchmen. Guaranteed that if I hadn't read The Watchmen and Maus I wouldn't still be reading comics, etc. today.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    2) Make your friend read a "team" comic / graphic novel so that he is introduced to a broader spectrum of superheroes. Personally, for new people: I think Kingdom Come is pretty damned good since one doesn't really need any backround information on any of the heroes to understand the premise of the story.

This should really be "have them watch Justice League."

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Runaways.

The first hardcover.

Alternately: Invincible. Pretty much anyone can enjoy that.

deadonthestreet on
    edited February 2007
    Adaemus1sf wrote: »

I definitely think Watchmen is a bad idea, since an understanding of comics helps in appreciating it. Have you thought about the Marvel adventures digests? They're aimed at kids, but the Avengers book has better writing than almost anything Marvel puts out, and Fantastic Four is by Fred Van Lente, so I have confidence that it will be awesome even though I'm waiting for the digests to arrive. Seriously, I'm considering giving up on all comics except the Marvel Adventures line.
    Also, if you're looking for single issues, did you try www.milehighcomics.com or www.mycomicshop.com ? They seem to be highly recommended.

The prices there seem a wee bit overpriced to me. $6.40 for Annihilation Number 3? I think I will check my LCS again before I submit to those kinds of prices. Or maybe I will take this time to become more patient and wait for the TPB.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
    edited February 2007

Yeah, I picked up JLA immediatley after I read Kingdom Come.

HankStamper on
    never give a inch
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm very new to comics right now (PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!). It seems like it has been forever since I've read one, but all the buzz about Civil War caused me to rekindle my interest. So, during the weekend I grabbed Civil War #7 and Thunderbolts #111 (mainly because there weren't any copies of 110). However, I'm also interested in reading Spiderman, as I would really love to see what is going on with his character now that he's an 'underground vigilante'.

But I also understand that there are several separate Spiderman lines (Amazing and Spectacular, I think). How do I go about reading the entire story? Do I get all the lines, or should I just get one and stick with it?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Runaways.

The first hardcover.

Alternately: Invincible. Pretty much anyone can enjoy that.

This is what I was gonna say.

Also, the first comic I ever read was Alias, because I liked the art and my friend had the omnibus. It's a good place to start, because it's a new character in a MAX title, so there are only cameos from most other big-name Marvel characters. It is however, really honkin' expensive and possibly out of print.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited February 2007
    I'm very new to comics right now (PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!). It seems like it has been forever since I've read one, but all the buzz about Civil War caused me to rekindle my interest. So, during the weekend I grabbed Civil War #7 and Thunderbolts #111 (mainly because there weren't any copies of 110). However, I'm also interested in reading Spiderman, as I would really love to see what is going on with his character now that he's an 'underground vigilante'.

But I also understand that there are several separate Spiderman lines (Amazing and Spectacular, I think). How do I go about reading the entire story? Do I get all the lines, or should I just get one and stick with it?

Amazing is the one that covers the bases of continuity. Anything relevent storywise comes from that one.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited February 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

Amazing is the one that covers the bases of continuity. Anything relevent storywise comes from that one.
    Yeah, that's the main book. Friendly Neighborhood is the "fun" book, and Spectacular is the "dark" book. Those are the books in continuity. Spidey also stars in New Avengers, which would be a good way to introduce yourself to the larger Marvel universe.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a really good read, but it isn't in continuity.

And Spider-Man loves Mary Jane is soooo good.

deadonthestreet on
    edited February 2007
    Also...he should start from the beginning. The Ultimate Clone Saga would freak his shit right out.

Calamity Jane on
    edited February 2007

Yeah, that's the main book. Friendly Neighborhood is the "fun" book, and Spectacular is the "dark" book. Those are the books in continuity. Spidey also stars in New Avengers, which would be a good way to introduce yourself to the larger Marvel universe.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a really good read, but it isn't in continuity.

And Spider-Man loves Mary Jane is soooo good.

So Spider-Man is an Avenger now? Huh, I'll have to find that book then.

Also, on the topic of Spider-Man, have they explained the black costume yet (I mean, besides the movie tie-in explanation)?

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited February 2007
    Also...he should start from the beginning. The Ultimate Clone Saga would freak his shit right out.
    Yeah, I know about Ultimate Spider-Man's female clone. That made my brain hurt for a bit.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited February 2007
    No. Most likely because of the "black" period his life seems to be undergoing, as Civil War did a doozy on his poor ass. (suit question)

Calamity Jane on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I have to point this out, because I didn't even read DC until I started watching and buying the Justice League DVDs, and I have started loving it so much that it has overtaken my trade shelf.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Spoiler that shit, MistieOtaku...

I'm only on issue 59 of Ultimate....

Tylerbroor on
This discussion has been closed.