As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pious it looks like you're ripping off of Bleach so hard.

Godfather on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Pious it looks like you're ripping off of Bleach so hard.

Huh?...Really? I never read or watched any bleach.

No seriously. I only watched like 2 episodes. WTF? Really? This story acts like bleach? Gawd damnz it!!!!

I got the idea for the villan from this electro french dude.
    the-toxic-avenger.jpg
    toxic_avenger.jpg
    l-bb2d4daf90ec16ad67b8bb77272e8faa-1.gif
    DSC02682.jpg

Ha, this one is funneh
    poster-the-toxic-avenger-2.jpg

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    But why isn't your hair purple? :)

because i work in an office!

i keep pondering turning it back to blackpurple though. MEH.

mully on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, well as long as it was actually purple at one point. :P

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hey pious it be just the facemask. I don't watch bleach myself but I always see something like this on the front page of DA at least once a week.
    grimmjow.jpg

Ne ways here's an update. Doing my best to keep the patterns coherent with the rendering. pretty soon I'll have to be incorperating specific photos on other things but until then...am I getting warmer? If not then whats wrong specifically. Any technical issues I should address before moving on? I know the left hand got jacked up with recent brushwork, and the eyes are real iffy I think. Also much of the linework got eroded so Ill have to rework it back in.

[IMG][/img]REcopy-1.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    myk i'd love to see you do a painting with nothing but a round brush

Projeck on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like her hips come up a little too high to me. She also doesn't have a neck. Looks more like a hunchback.

Oooh, I second Projeck's suggestion.

I think you focus WAAAY too much of textures. They're all well and good, but you put too much emphasis on them, and you do so way to early in the beginning of the process. If anything that shit should come in when you're finalizing a piece.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    to be fair, myk is working more and more to cut those things out
    habits take time to break
    especially art ones
    i have to slap my own wrists and consciously not do the bad things i do
    and they always end up cropping up in the next image anyways

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I left out the layer where she's blowing smoke out buck, that could be why her lips seem a bit off, ill take a closer look at it though in a bit. Also projeck there is no 'round brush' perse in painter, its a totally different brush engine. sure when I'm in photoshop and I need to rework something, yeah, round brush all the way, but honestly I personally have a disdain using it at a sole means of rendering. It just isn't aesthetically pleasing to me and leaves everything looking too plastic and photoshop like. Also I'm not gonna waste an hour etching certain fine patterns or repetitive shapes when it can be done with a single brush stroke using the pattern chalk. Sorry for the rant. I'm trying hard though not to get to overblown or reliant on cheap tricks, but beavs right, some habits are just a cancer and impossible to remove. Ill keep it at though. Much of the main rendering was done using the airbrush and lasso tool, and a just add water blender (painter only) so I'm trying to keep the brushes at a minimum already

edit: buck, u were right about the neck. I forgot I changed up the pose a bit from where earlier a hunch was sorta part of it. Just fixed it and already its looking hella better. Thanks for that.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah absolutely he's using less custom brushes but still, to commit yourself to using a round brush and nothing else for one piece isn't a hard thing to do. If your worried you won't be able to as well without custom brushes even better, you'll learn so much from it. Seriously Myk, you are really fucking good, but these custom brushes have become a security blanket for you.

EDIT: Also, if you can't lay down what you want without using a custom, just leave it out. I honestly don't think the one you used on the feathers in her hat added anything, they just look like feathers forged from steel now.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    yeah ur right mustang, a while ago I would have forgone a nifty design detail simply because I didn't have a brush for it. It was pathetic. Right now I'm trying to limit myself to using an airbrush, a single blender, and the thick and thin pen which in painter acts like the closes thing to a circle brush. We'll see how that goes in the future. In the near future they want to me to illustrate a dress using nothing but a collage of photo's taken from a thousand different shoots and a tight theme of shapes and patterns....god help us all.

Ugh you know I remember I pulled out a coffee table artbook to show the art director to sorta get some ideas for style approaches and themes. I wanted to show him some of the works of Cyd Mead, but as were looking through he goes "ooooooooooh who is THAT!?" I go, 'andrew jones' :x

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just wrong a great response, but I got up to do something before finishing, refreshed the page by accident, and lost it. Now the world will never know what poignant, helpful remarks I had.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought I felt the interweb tubes cry out for a little bit there Buck.

Myk I'm not saying never use them, but I think it'd help your art devlop so much more if you put them away for a few pieces every now and again. It'll give you more tools in your art chest when your trying to solve a problem. Anyway, you should'nt really be listening to me, I'm kind of an idiot.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I thought I felt the interweb tubes cry out for a little bit there Buck.

The internet can get by without my genius remarks, and criticisms for one night.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    scos i saw the process of that in the ca.org mentor forums, it's really come along quite nicely, excellent work as always duder

cocaine anonymous? http://www.ca.org/
    :P

XAL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    as if art like that could come from anywhere but cocaine!

mully on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    portrait-studies-1.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    heres a couple of hot babes

:wink:

2dlutf6.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is there such thing as a speed vector? Well if there is then this is one of them.

Been looking at too much beavo and silver art today.

cowboyx.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    theres still some tightening up to do but overall I'd say its finished. Cityscape not my decision, but did the best I could with it. the RE is on a seperate layer left for the graphic designer to play with. Hopefully this came out decent enough.
    spoiler for size

FFP_illustration_by_AdventDawn.png

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Her head seems aligned wrong to me. Like her neck is off center on her shoulders, it should be more to the left.

rts on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think that turned out pretty cool Myk. Did you by anychance just flip her head back-to-front? It kinda looks like it works better the other way (hmmmm... Maybe not...?).
    to show what i mean.
    2dqkqs9.jpg

It still looks good though. Nice work.

EDIT: Just read cakes response. Agree with him. Maybe thats what makes it look a little odd. Also, works well with the New York City BG. Beautiful city. Cant wait to purchase my $10 Million condo near Central Park.;)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sketching ideas for a painting im gonna do this coming weekend. I want to do a painting of Jimmy Fallon, kinda a portrait. Thing is, i want it to have some kind of conceptual idea, rather than just a still shot of him. For anyone who has watched the show, you would notice he has that nervous look to him and that he sweats LOADS during the monologue and while interviewing guests. My idea for this is that he needs to wear sweat bands to catch the sweat, and there will be a few fans blowing cool air at him. Kinda cheesy i know, but thats best i could think of :P Im gonna do the actual one in Oil paints BTW.

213exr9.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have almost the exact opposite problem as Mykonos. I absolutely love his work, along with ND, Mully, Cake... pretty much everyone. I am half decent at lineart, and okay with a brush in RL but I am working on a webcomic and I have completely given up on complicated shading. I just have some part of my brain that can't seem to get around the basic cartoony style I usually draw. I am taking a life drawing class next semester and do still lifes when I get a chance but I love my tablet and photoshop. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good digital painting book or something of the like. Thanks for the help. Didn't mean to turn this into a Q&A post but as I ranted on I realized you guys would be who to ask about a resource for furthering my digital art skills.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like the books from 'Art of Imaginary Friends Studio

Here are some blog links which are really inspirational. Check what you like, and you're bound to find some cool through there.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    monarch, your best bet is to get yourself an imaginefx subscription. Right now its the only resource of any value, as most books on the subject either tell you what you already know, or offer very unifficient ways of doing things. That, and I would suggest using CA.org as a vast online resource bank, their painter/ps/ref sections in their forums are especially nice.

oh and go here http://www.carloscabrera.com.ar/tutorial.html

gnomon workshops and massive black downloads are also great

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WIP for my info-illustration class. Its a retarded class, so I'm entirely not taking it seriously.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
    cthulhu-paper.jpg

IA! IA! C'THULHU FHTAGN!!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cool sketch mcgibs

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll just say that I really love Myk's work. I guess I'm not 'in the know' with popular digital artists, so I don't see similarities there, I just really enjoy what he makes.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    :) !

btw cake u were right again about the head. I made a slight adjustment and already its looking alot less awkawrd

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cool thang, Gibbers! :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Secretive.

That's my only crit.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    dsg1.png

bah

mully on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    portrait-studies-1.jpg

I really like the first one there, DeeLock. Reminds me of Scos's work

Tam on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Secretive.

That's my only crit.

secretive?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    McGibs wrote: »
    Secretive.

That's my only crit.

secretive?

In the intro paragraph, you spelled it "secrative"

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FUCK YES GIBS!

Mustang on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »
    Secretive.

That's my only crit.

secretive?

In the intro paragraph, you spelled it "secrative"

Also "Biological Immortal"
    shouldn't it be biologically?
    also it's awesome

RubberAC on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like you've been reading lovecraft while playing arkham horror. I like it!

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Gibs, my adoration for Lovecraft is no well kept secret, nor is my love of your arts. You might as well have written "to: Buckwolfe" across it in giant, iridescent letters. My only negative crit would be about the text placement and page layout. Unfortunately I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to that myself, so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Buckwolfe on
This discussion has been closed.