As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: The episode order in the U.S., according to wikipedia, was 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1. With 11-13 unaired, and 1 being Serenity parts I and II combined.

You know, I knew this was the case, but I'd never seen it actually written out. It's so much more painful this way, like it's one of those "Predict what comes next in this series" riddles, and the answer is "Cancellation!"

What the episode order doesn't indicate is the number of weeks that it didn't air at all because of Baseball.

2, 3, 6, baseball, baseball, 7, 8, 4, 5, baseball, baseball, 9, baseball, baseball, baseball, 10, 14, 1. Three episodes unaired.

I wish I was making that up. Dollhouse has actually had it pretty good by comparison. :|

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    EDIT: The episode order in the U.S., according to wikipedia, was 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1. With 11-13 unaired, and 1 being Serenity parts I and II combined.

You know, I knew this was the case, but I'd never seen it actually written out. It's so much more painful this way, like it's one of those "Predict what comes next in this series" riddles, and the answer is "Cancellation!"

What the episode order doesn't indicate is the number of weeks that it didn't air at all because of Baseball.

2, 3, 6, baseball, baseball, 7, 8, 4, 5, baseball, baseball, 9, baseball, baseball, baseball, 10, 14, 1. Three episodes unaired.

I wish I was making that up. Dollhouse has actually had it pretty good by comparison. :|
    That's messed up. No wonder I could never figure out when it was on.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Practically no advertising after the first couple of weeks, too. Fox's efforts to kill the show were many.

Tomanta on
    edited April 2009
    That's why it's so hilarious to me everytime people call Firefly a "failure" of a TV show and claim it got canceled because it was bad. Not even Lost would have made it out of the first season with that kind of treatment. No to mention that the ratings weren't even that terrible, it was just that the production costs were so high.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    rufo wrote: »
    This link should work for folks without an account:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=to%3Afoxbroadcasting

EDIT: also, see http://search.twitter.com/search?q=Dollhouse

"15 comments added since your search started. Click refresh to view them."

Delzhand on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I guess that link someone posted earlier was wrong, the one that said it was getting a second season and that Terminator was axed. I hope this means Terminator isn't axed. The shows I like are dropping off like flies (of course, that's how it is with practically any new, good show these days)! I want one to survive, God dammit!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm adding felicia day to my twitter and I'm gonna start reading her blog. She plays D&D and is an avid gamer, how cool is that?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm adding felicia day to my twitter and I'm gonna start reading her blog. She plays D&D and is an avid gamer, how cool is that?
    What a neckbeard.

Bama on
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    So I guess that link someone posted earlier was wrong, the one that said it was getting a second season and that Terminator was axed. I hope this means Terminator isn't axed. The shows I like are dropping off like flies (of course, that's how it is with practically any new, good show these days)! I want one to survive, God dammit!

Oh, Terminator is axed, I'd bet good money on that. It's been getting worse ratings than Dollhouse all season, and I'm pretty sure it costs more to make.

The thing linked earlier was just a rumor, that Dollhouse was being considered for renewal, not that it had been renewed, but I wouldn't say this clinches its cancellation completely.

OremLK on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    What a neckbeard.
    Really? I find her kinda hot.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    New info!
    Long story short, because this is convoluted: Fox network ordered 13 episodes of the show. Joss Whedon shot a pilot, and then the pilot was scrapped in favor of a new pilot, but for contractual purposes, that unaired pilot counted as part of the 13-episode order -- which means Fox only had 12 episodes to deal with. Eight of those have aired, and four more are still to come, all of which have been scheduled, with the last of those -- with the very finale-ish title of "Omega" -- set to air May 8.

Day's episode, called "Epitaph One," was apparently filmed by the studio independent of the agreement -- or, at least, independent of what Fox network considers to be in the agreement -- and does not seem to be tied in to the story in "Omega." In other words, if there's a cliffhanger in "Omega" (and I don't know if there is), it's not going to be resolved in "Epitaph One."

Fox network won't decide the fate of "Dollhouse" until Upfront week, near the end of May, and the decision not to air "Epitaph One" has nothing whatsoever to do with renewal. It's unclear whether "Epitaph One" will turn up as a bonus on the season one DVD, or on Hulu, or even if it might be a bonus episode for a hypothetical season two. All I know for now is that it's not going to air on Fox as part of the first season run of "Dollhouse."

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/04/dollhouse-13th14th-episode-in-limbo.html

I don't know about the veracity of this source, but Whedonesque says he's a media reporter. Hope this is true.

OremLK on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    You people need to stop freaking out every time the wind blows an inauspicious leaf into your cup of tea.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There really doesn't look to be any new show which is going to survive this season, and a lot of other good older shows look to be on their last legs. If this goes, and it looks like Chuck might go too then all I really have left in my regular watching is Big Bang Theory, Burn Notice, HIMYM and Castle. How the mighty are fallen TV.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited April 2009
    You people need to stop freaking out every time the wind blows an inauspicious leaf into your cup of tea.

You have to admit, not airing the series finale is pretty freak-out worthy, if you're still hoping for renewal. And apparently all of Twitter is freaking with us.

OremLK on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    If theres no good shows left they would keep some on wouldn't they? Until they see if their new seasons will take off?

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2009
    If theres no good shows left they would keep some on wouldn't they? Until they see if their new seasons will take off?

They can fall back on shitty reality TV for interim revenues.

And yeah, that explanation makes sense. Though it also makes sense as a stopgap to try and keep viewers from jumping ship on a show you intend to cancel in about six weeks.

mcdermott on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

You mentioned leaves on the wind in a thread devoted to the work of Joss Whedon? Bad choice of words, man.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2009
    More: (Also unverified)
    http://allthingsfangirl.blogspot.com/2009/04/dollhouse-canceled.html

tl;dr it sounds like the production company, 20th Century Fox, ordered "Epitaph One" (the thirteenth episode) as something extra to go on the DVD set and help promote it.

Edit: One last link to lay this to rest:
    http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-fien-print/posts/2009-4-9-dollhouse-hasn-t-actually-been-cancelled

OremLK on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You mentioned leaves on the wind in a thread devoted to the work of Joss Whedon? Bad choice of words, man.

I'm hoping it was a masterful little bonus jab, kinda like finding Frankenstein trying to hide from a pitchfork mob and then yelling, "Hi Frankenstein, whats the matter did you get fired?"

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

I'm hoping it was a masterful little bonus jab, kinda like finding Frankenstein trying to hide from a pitchfork mob and then yelling, "Hi Frankenstein, whats the matter did you get fired?"

Whatever you guys are saying I meant, I totally meant it, because I am that awesome.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited April 2009

You have to admit, not airing the series finale is pretty freak-out worthy, if you're still hoping for renewal. And apparently all of Twitter is freaking with us.

My first thought, given that the Big Finale was actually ep12, was that perhaps they had filmed a bonus episode as a way of wrapping up the series in the event it didn't get renewed, and that not airing it was a sign that it had been renewed.

But I am an optimist.

ElJeffe on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

Jeffe isn't that clever. Remember that up until a few years ago, he was a conservative.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2009

Whatever you guys are saying I meant, I totally meant it, because I am that awesome.

The reference in case you don't get it, major spoiler for Firefly/serenity

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

My first thought, given that the Big Finale was actually ep12, was that perhaps they had filmed a bonus episode as a way of wrapping up the series in the event it didn't get renewed, and that not airing it was a sign that it had been renewed.

But I am an optimist.

I had that thought too, especially since it's titled "Epitaph One". But the pessimist in me shot it down pretty quickly.

Captain Tragedy on
    edited April 2009

But I am an optimist.

I had that thought too, especially since it's titled "Epitaph One". But the pessimist in me shot it down pretty quickly.

The disappointment from felicityday and drhorrible (which were my confirmations) indicated it was bad news to me, but apparently its not bad bad.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2009
    The reference in case you don't get it, major spoiler for Firefly/serenity

Oh, right.

And now I am sad.

ElJeffe on
    edited April 2009

But I am an optimist.

I shudder to think what a shock it will be years from now when Maddie informs you that there is no Santa Claus. :P

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    I would imagine that being all excited about a role and then finding out the episode will never actually air would suck mightily, whatever the fate of the series.

ElJeffe on
    edited April 2009
    I shudder to think what a shock it will be years from now when Maddie informs you that there is no Santa Claus. :P

Funny you should mention that.

She figured out there was no Santa just a few days ago.

ElJeffe on
    edited April 2009

Funny you should mention that.

She figured out there was no Santa just a few days ago.

Ah but she hasn't learned the even more important lesson about when to keep your mouth shut.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited April 2009
    We still need to keep up the charade for Riley's sake.

ElJeffe on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From Tim Minear himself;
    Okay. So maybe I can help clarify this somewhat. Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it’s awesome.

And from E! Online. (Shut up)
    Fox the television network ordered 13 episodes of Dollhouse. As everybody knows, they scrapped the original pilot, "Echo." So that is 13 less one, which brings us down to 12. The 12th and final episode that Fox the television network ordered and paid for and will air is called "Omega" and was written and directed by Tim Minear (who has told us he "can't wait" for us to see it). Focused on the Alpha storyline, sources say that "Omega" apparently "closes some doors and opens other ones" and was always intended to be and to effectively serve as the season-one finale. ("Omega" logline, if you're into that kind of thing: "Alpha's reign of terror continues as his obsession with Echo endangers Caroline's survival. Ballard must make a life-changing decision, and one Doll is permanently deactivated while another's shocking past is revealed.")

noir_blood on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It sounds to me like FOX's management is kind of on the fence about Dollhouse at this point. I contributed to the Twitter flood at their gates, hopefully that inspires some sort of official response.

Honestly, Dollhouse isn't good enough right now for me to be that upset about it being cancelled, it's no Pushing Daisies or anything. But it would be a pleasant surprise for it to be renewed.

Centipede Damascus on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Wait, it's not actually canceled yet? See, I thought it was, thus my own post. Someone told me it was, and then I came in here and people were going, "IT'S OFFICIAL! IT'S OVER!" Dammit, people...

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just seeing Tim Minear's name in regards to Dollhouse's status bums me out; People complain about Joss getting screwed by Fox just once, but man, Tim's got 4 Fox failures (with Dollhouse possibly being #5) under his belt, and they're almost all the same "shown out of order (or not shown at all) in bad time slots" situations. I'm sure that production deal seemed like a good idea at the time...

Captain Tragedy on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the last show Fox had on Friday nights that was successful was X-Files.

Tomanta on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the last show Fox had on Friday nights that was successful was X-Files.

Watching X-Files as a kid was the best thing ever.

Robos A Go Go on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, if this rumor is true, it makes me really curious about episode 13, as well as the future of Dollhouse. Supposedly, the Epitah One;
    But then Godwin got a plot synopsis of "Epitaph One." Apparently, it's written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. And it's a stand-alone episode, which doesn't wrap up any of the previous episodes' plot arcs. (So maybe no "Alpha.") Instead, it takes place "in the future, after the apocalypse, amidst total anarchy."

noir_blood on
    edited April 2009
    That would be... interesting.

ElJeffe on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I started to read that spoiler about epitaph one before and I managed to stop myself about five words in because the pure tidal wave of spoilage implied by that snippet. I don't recommend.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.