As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Godlike

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maticore wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get a PDF copy of this rulebook? (For monies of course) I'd love to play but don't own it.

It's not PDF, but they have the book for sale here.

I haven't looked at it before, but for three bucks, there's a player's guide of sorts here.

PolloDiablo on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone know where you can get a PDF copy of this rulebook? (For monies of course) I'd love to play but don't own it.

I haven't looked at it before, but for three bucks, there's a player's guide of sorts here.
    There's no way they're including the powers in six pages. My guess is that's just the open-source stuff.

Thanatos on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Two Hard Dice in Alternate Form would be ... 40 points?

And then it doesn't do anything except make the other powers a little cheaper?

:|
    You can apply flaws to Alternate Form.

FYI, nobody takes Alternate Form without applying flaws. :P

For instance, you could take Nervous Habit (must shout "SHAZAM!"), Expensive (costs you a Will to change form), Glow (you glow for two rounds/minutes when activating the power), and Loud (a loud bang audible for several hundred yards sounds whenever you activate your power). Each of those subtracts -1/-2/-4 from the cost of the power. Now, two hard dice in Alternate Form costs you 4 points.

Hm.

Haha, I like the idea of being explosively noisy, but as far as I can actually tell, that's 4 points per die for something that is purely cosmetic?

Would it be better just to take, like, Flight and Invulnerability and Super Strength and link those together?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009

There's no way they're including the powers in six pages. My guess is that's just the open-source stuff.

Looking at that preview, they have the costs for basic powers like invisibility or flight, without any other information. It might be enough as a reference if we're here to fill in the missing pieces.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2009
    Two Hard Dice in Alternate Form would be ... 40 points?

And then it doesn't do anything except make the other powers a little cheaper?

:|
    You can apply flaws to Alternate Form.

FYI, nobody takes Alternate Form without applying flaws. :P

For instance, you could take Nervous Habit (must shout "SHAZAM!"), Expensive (costs you a Will to change form), Glow (you glow for two rounds/minutes when activating the power), and Loud (a loud bang audible for several hundred yards sounds whenever you activate your power). Each of those subtracts -1/-2/-4 from the cost of the power. Now, two hard dice in Alternate Form costs you 4 points.
    Hm.

Haha, I like the idea of being explosively noisy, but as far as I can actually tell, that's 4 points per die for something that is purely cosmetic?

Would it be better just to take, like, Flight and Invulnerability and Super Strength and link those together?
    Alternate Form means that the flaws attached to your "Always On" powers (like, say, Beacon) aren't always on. So, you know, you could sneak into that German base before you turned into the Elephant of Doom, rather than having the Zed-wielding Talents meeting you before you even get to the base.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    So Hard Dice are the... second or third price?

I think with the answer to this, I will be able to figure some super powers out.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    So Hard Dice are the... second or third number?

I think with the answer to this, I will be able to figure some super powers out.
    Hard Dice are the second number, Wiggle Dice are the third number.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    Alright, thought so, wanted to be certain!

Edit: Okay I lied! If I use Alternate Form, can I still apply Beacon to Heavy Armor?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    Alright, thought so, wanted to be certain!

Edit: Okay I lied! If I use Alternate Form, can I still apply Beacon to Heavy Armor?

No reason why not. If you've got an always on power, beacon has to be attached to that.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2009
    And it works out if Always On is only Always On in the alternate form?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    And it works out if Always On is only Always On in the alternate form?
    Yup. But this means that any powers you buy for your regular form can't be Always On.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    What happens if negative modifiers reduce the price below 1? Does it just have a minimum cost of 1?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    What happens if negative modifiers reduce the price below 1? Does it just have a minimum cost of 1?
    1/2/4 is the minimum cost per die.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    How does that work?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    1 per die, 2 per hard die, 4 per wiggle die.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    It had negative signs when I replied. >>

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    It had negative signs when I replied. >>
    Lies.

Thanatos on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    God dammit why do these get posted when I'm away doing something else. I would VERY DEFINITELY be interested in this, but I'm unsure if signups are closed. I'll finish reading the thread and respond accordingly, or get on a waiting list. I love superhero games and I love alternate histories and when the two are together.....

...I have to go change my pants.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited April 2009
    Pollo, are you sure you want us making a full group of nine? I mean, for a PbP, that's a lot of characters. Hell, for in-person, that's a lot of characters.

I hadn't thought of it before, though, but since this systems action order is based entirely on rolls, it does make for a great PbP game.

Thanatos on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How many dies per power should I have ?

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    How many dies per power should I have ?
    Depends upon the power, how you want to use it, and how resistant to Zed you want it to be. Zed gobbles dice, so the wider your matches, the more resistant it is.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    Hrm.

Okay, here is where I am at presently:

Nervous Habit (-1/-2), Expensive (-1/-2), Glow (-1/-2), Loud (-1/-2) Alternate Form (1/2)
    Attached (-1/2), Beacon (-4), Can't Interfere (-2), Always On (+1) Heavy Armor (7) = 1
    Attached (-1/2), Full-Power Only (-1/-2), Always On (+1/2) Hyper Body (1/2) = 1/2
    Attached (-1/2), Flight (3/6) = 2/4

2 Hard Dice Alternate Form (4 points)
    10 Dice Heavy Armor (10 points)
    4 Hard Dice Hyper-Body (8 points)

Leaves me with 3 more points. 1 die of Flight won't work though since it's an automatic failure.

Edit: I'm not sure how much Hard Dice of Body I need to smash a tank, but I figure a width4height10 baseline might be a nice start?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    Pollo, are you sure you want us making a full group of nine? I mean, for a PbP, that's a lot of characters. Hell, for in-person, that's a lot of characters.

I hadn't thought of it before, though, but since this systems action order is based entirely on rolls, it does make for a great PbP game.

That's true. I think it's ok with one character per player. I can handle the rest of the team as npc's, or not have them at all.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2009
    Can...can I play? I want to play.

If I can get in on this, I would very much like to play an anti-powers person. Specifically, either a person who acts as a power dampener whenever he's close to someone with powers (like a 50 foot radius always-on type thing) or someone who can concentrate on one person and completely lock down their power while I'm focusing on them.

Is that possible? I think that'd be neat.

Spawnbroker on
    edited April 2009
    Can...can I play? I want to play.

If I can get in on this, I would very much like to play an anti-powers person. Specifically, either a person who acts as a power dampener whenever he's close to someone with powers (like a 50 foot radius always-on type thing) or someone who can concentrate on one person and completely lock down their power while I'm focusing on them.

Is that possible? I think that'd be neat.

Sure. I didn't mean to ignore you back there, I mixed you up with the other Boomer. And yeah. The Anti-Talent Talent is called Zed.

PolloDiablo on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just read through the quickstart rules, and holy crap! This system is pure genius. Are there other Pen and Paper games like this? The Wide and Tall rolls are very intuitive. The particulars are a little wonky, but that's probably due to making a Supers based game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2009
    So your role in the squad is to stay the fuck away from the squad so you don't get us all killed, Spawn?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    Hrm.

Nervous Habit (-1/-2), Expensive (-1/-2), Glow (-1/-2), Loud (-1/-2) Alternate Form (1/2)
    Attached (-1/2), Beacon (-4), Can't Interfere (-2), Always On (+1) Heavy Armor (7) = 1
    Attached (-1/2), Full-Power Only (-1/-2), Always On (+1/2) Hyper Body (1/2) = 1/2

Leaves me with 3 more points. 1 die of Flight won't work though since it's an automatic failure.

Edit: I'm not sure how much Hard Dice of Body I need to smash a tank, but I figure a width4height10 baseline might be a nice start?

That looks good. The way the heavy armor on tanks and such work is that for each point of armor, it reduces the width of the match by 1. Armor is heaviest on the front and weakes on the rear and top. A 6" thick wooden wall is 1 HAR (Heavy Armor). Your standard Panzer ranges from 7 at the heaviest to 2 at the lightest. So with 4x10 you could wreck its day so long as you hit it in the right spot.

edit:
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I just read through the quickstart rules, and holy crap! This system is pure genius. Are there other Pen and Paper games like this? The Wide and Tall rolls are very intuitive. The particulars are a little wonky, but that's probably due to making a Supers based game.

Wikipedia says the One-Roll Engine is also used in Wild Talents, Reign, and Nemesis. I haven't played any of those, though.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2009
    What could I do with one (or three) leftover point for powerss

Edit: I want to say that although I've never played this system before, this part of the lore:

"Godlike is a game of alternate history. Things are largely as they are historically, but with one major difference. Beginning in 1936, people began developing superpowers in times of great mental strain or accomplishment. The first Ubermensch, as the Germans knew them, appeared at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Berlin, by flying in to light the torch. The rest of the world was, to put it lightly, surprised."

has influenced any game I have ever run using superheroes. Particularly, all of my superhero settings have involved Superheros showing up during World War II as a result of stress and misery (and national pride!) resulting from the war.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    You can always keep them to add to your base will. Will is what you use to activate powers, as well as some other things.

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2009
    So your role in the squad is to stay the fuck away from the squad so you don't get us all killed, Spawn?

If I took the always on, radius type, then yes. I would basically be a stealth / rogue character and my job would be to sneak up behind the enemy if we know they're super-powered and get as close as possible to make it easy to neutralize them.

I'm a little more interested in the "concentrate" aspect of it though, my power would be concentrating on one person to make sure they can't do jack squat while you guys beat the everliving crap out of his friends.

Spawnbroker on
    edited April 2009
    Body 8 is pretty much mandatory if you're planning to be tearing apart tanks with your hands, INNS. So, if you go with a 5 Hyperstat, you're going to want at least a 3 regular stat. Before Body 8, you're only dealing shock damage with your fist and kicks. At Body 8:

*Tested lift is 2-4 tons (you can lift less than that without rolling, up to that with a successful Body check)
    *+1 wound to your torso and each limb
    *Ability to hit "strong" materials without taking damage
    *Fist and kicks cause killing damage instead of shock damage (this is important for breaching tanks, and the first point at which it happens)
    *+2 width to punch, kick, and strangle damage
    *You can automatically breach armor equal to half your body (again, important, and the first point at which it happens)
    *On a successful roll, you can breach armor equal to your body stat
    *Two extra points of shock evaporate on each limb after battle
    *You can broad jump your Body distance in yards
    *You can jump half your Body stat in a vertical leap in yards.
    *You can shout so loud, you can shatter glass at a meter.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    Christ

Awesome, I'll raise Body to 5 Hard Dice and do something with that last point, and then I suppose I could do the rest of the sheet :D

INeedNoSalt on
    edited April 2009
    Hrm.

Heavy Armor and Hyperstats come with Always On by default.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    Hard dice are nice, INNS, but if you want to be hitting multiple times in a round, I'd suggest aiming for 10 regular dice in Body, and a few points in Brawl. The Brawl dice can suck up the multiple-hit penalty, and you'll be able to beat the shit out of stuff.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    Oh, something I forgot to mention (it's been awhile since I played this game): weapons with penetration eat through heavy armor for a round. So, if you get shot by a weapon with penetration 2, even if it doesn't get through, it reduces your heavy armor by 2 for a round. So, if you got shot by a weapon with penetration 10 (or two weapons with penetration 5), your armor would be completely gone for the round.

You can get "Hardened" heavy armor points (immune to penetration) at +7 per level.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2009
    I'd like to be able to say, go give a nice live grenade to someone and come back before it blows up. I'd also like to be smart enough to make a catapult and lob INeedNoSalt's character straight into enemy lines.

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    Hey Thanatos, what are the rules on the Zed power and derivations? I have the extras and flaws manuals that you linked, but no powers...grrr

Spawnbroker on
    edited April 2009
    I can't see the powers so it's hard to decide.
    I'd like super speed and super brains or just lots a brains. And a disruptive power of some kind.
    Can you suggest a few powers (with description), i'll play around with the add-ons and the flaws and come up with something.

Hermenegilde on
    edited April 2009
    Zed is a little nuts.

Everyone needs to read that player's guide I linked, starting on page 32: "When Wills Collide." That describes the Will bidding system, which is weird.

Thanatos on