As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lovecraft is rubbish.

Go drawing though.

NotASenator on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Lovecraft is rubbish.

No.

Horrible person, yes.

Conceiving such monsters that an entirely new category and term has to be created for them? Definitely not rubbish.

Tam on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    spent a while last night drawing up ideas for my next painting (with oils).

I dropped it into photoshop just now and started fiddling around, cutting/cropping etc. Got two ideas for where to go with development. Any thoughts?

2mn0wp0.jpg

I think the new one looks more recognisable as a talk show, but there might be a little too much going on, in such a small space. hmmm...

winter_combat_knight on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    faces are getting better each time wck, but the composition on the new one seems rather cluttered

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i think the fan should go.

XAL on
    edited April 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »
    faces are getting better each time wck, but the composition on the new one seems rather cluttered

Thanks man. I too agree it seems a little cluttered. Maybe i need to try extending the size of the canvas a little.
    XAL wrote: »
    i think the fan should go.

Its kinda part of the idea. Im trying to make it a bit more of a conceptual piece, rather than a straigh portrait. The idea is that he needs the fan to keep cool, and the sweat band to stop the sweat from going into his face (He sweats loads on the show). Maybe i can show that through another device? Or maybe make it smaller. Or perhaps the sweat band and bottle of water says it all? But the fan does look kinda out of place. Ill play around with it. But heres an update on what i had done up until reading these posts.

1535ms3.jpg

EDIT: actually, i am kinda leaning towards your idea of removing the fan.

EDIT 2: I think ill just go with this then

hs6m1j.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    monarch, your best bet is to get yourself an imaginefx subscription. Right now its the only resource of any value, as most books on the subject either tell you what you already know, or offer very unifficient ways of doing things. That, and I would suggest using CA.org as a vast online resource bank, their painter/ps/ref sections in their forums are especially nice.

oh and go here http://www.carloscabrera.com.ar/tutorial.html

gnomon workshops and massive black downloads are also great

Thanks for the help Myk and WCK, I appreciate it. Besides some added teaching, I just need to quit saying I'm "busy" and do some frikkin arterizing.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited April 2009
    started blocking my shit in with oils. Its really difficult, cos im doing it on a small piece of masonite board. Its gradually building up in colour, but its quite messy still. I think i need to use some smaller brushes. Oh well, im not expecting it to look good. What is it they say? It takes 100 bad paintings before you can do a good painting? Something like that anyway.

244s789.jpg

and just for a size comparison, thats it next to my monitor. its quite a small painting.
    im watching dragonball!
    2edcw78.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    2edcw78.jpg

Why, your painting looks nothing like the ref! Where's Yamcha's shawl?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You call that small? Thats like gigantic!

rts on
    edited April 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »

Really? its 21cm / 28cm
    Its small compared to what im used to working at.

winter_combat_knight on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »

Thats what she said.

I'm so sorry! i had to I couldn't resist.

NakedZergling on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wck, the foreshortening is not really working on his right arm, it looks like a super stumpy arm

beavotron on
    edited April 2009
    *assuming you're reffering to the oil painting* - though it probably applied for the photoshop mock-up too:P
    Ive stopped working on it ATM, cos it's really wet, and cant really build up any more tones. Its really starting to get muddy. I think i was over working it too fast. Its outside drying now. Hopefully by the morning it'll be ready to add more layers to it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm curious to know your process, WCK, with regards to layering in oils. I personally found that my impatience and inability to make long-term plans makes layering pretty ineffective for me, so I do everything (more or less) in one go, and I'm kind of wondering if there's an element to the technique that would make layering possible for me.

crawdaddio on
    edited April 2009
    90 min quickie in painter. I gotta put something in that white space top left corner....heh, i'm thinking a fucking mech

Untitled-s1de.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited April 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    I'm curious to know your process, WCK, with regards to layering in oils. I personally found that my impatience and inability to make long-term plans makes layering pretty ineffective for me, so I do everything (more or less) in one go, and I'm kind of wondering if there's an element to the technique that would make layering possible for me.

I start with VERY thin layers of paint. This allows it to dry faster. Then i build up to lighter, thicker layers. my class paintings are more successful than this, mainly because in class im working at A2 size, rather than A4. I think my lack of understanding of colour also adds to my struggles too. Plus, working knowing that you will eventually need to leave it for a few hours to settle sucks!
    As for layering technique, just try to work really thin, and dark, then gradually build up to thicker and lighter tones.

BTw myk, looking good. only crit so far is his left sleeve of his jacket looks like theres an arm in it. maybe make it flop down a little more. otherwise very nice. Like the colours.

winter_combat_knight on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I sorta like the white space, Myk.

Kochikens on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh. Just trying to get back in the groove of my tablet thing.
    girlzzz.jpg

TheBog on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I agree with kochickens, I like the white space Myk
    I really like the piece in general actually

sharky t on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    thirding the liking of white space

beavotron on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    fourthing it.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    ok thank god because I did not wanna waste a day drawing something redicoulas

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't seem to get the hair the way I want, but I didn't want to spend as much time as I have on this. I think I'm just going to call it done, and move on.

b6a034f079f5d8fe6e92857b1a9894b1.png

Buckwolfe on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i like the balance between rendering and lineart you have in the face. If you were to incorporate the same things into the hair, i think it would be more successful.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    I have so much shit I should probably post.
    Well. I scanned some doodles.
    nia1.jpg
    I know shes lopsided in the middle.
    tribal2.jpg
    tribal1.jpg
    Complexindeed.jpg

Iruka on
    edited April 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    I can't seem to get the hair the way I want, but I didn't want to spend as much time as I have on this. I think I'm just going to call it done, and move on.

b6a034f079f5d8fe6e92857b1a9894b1.png

all u need to do with the hair is just add some highlights. since its greyscale just take the dodge tool set to highlights with an airbrush and go over where the light hits the hardest and it should definietely make a positive difference

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    fourthing it.
    ok thank god because I did not wanna waste a day drawing something redicoulas

I'm gonna say that i dont like the use of white space. Its not very pleasing to the eyes. And quite distracting to be frank (drebbin).
    I'm just being an arsehole. It looks super cool.:lol::lol:

winter_combat_knight on
  • misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    myk, thats the best piece I think I've seen from you, it dosen't just come across as a clust fuck of custom brushes and all works really nicely :^:

the one thing I would say is that the arm of the jacket to the veiwers right would hang down straight would it not? maybe I'm wrong.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    Complexindeed.jpg

That is awesome. I love the goggles and the thought bubble. His ride is pretty nifty too.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    Iruka wrote: »
    Complexindeed.jpg

That is awesome. I love the goggles and the thought bubble. His ride is pretty nifty too.

Yeah, this is my favorite thing.

NotASenator on
    edited April 2009
    Restarted that last painting again. This time, im doing it with acrylics. its so much easier to just sit down for a few hours straight and continue to build up layers. I cant seem to ajust to oils that well.

sbhums.jpg

Spoilered is what it looked like last night before i went to sleep. I was pretty pissed off with it. But now i think its coming together ok. Just need to make sure i stick to the original structure and not get lost in the paint.
    10zz0hl.jpg

edit: Update. Im a slow painter :)
    egcmj7.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Easter.jpg

EDIT: Iruka, you're an animation major or whatever right,? Make the steampunk bugrider into a show plz.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2009
    Bunch of enviro thumbnails

jigith.jpg

and an environment im working ATM

2zocjkg.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

EDIT: Iruka, you're an animation major or whatever right,? Make the steampunk bugrider into a show plz.

Bacon will watch the show and I'll buy the toys!

And watch the show!

Metalbourne on
    edited April 2009
    whoa! real profession concept art!!! too bad its shit. right now were just working on layouts for a title image. I'm told, big fucking dress with a robocop'ish torso, pyramid structure, clean bg, diluted colors, and either go with a bald sexy white girl or Grace Jones. Gotta do a bunch of these. this one took, eh, bout 2 hours or so. next ones should be better since I'm still trying to get a handle on this whole fashion industry

ti-1.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just doodlen, fucked up perspective pretty baddly.
    donut.jpg

I'm not at home to use a scanner.
    Picture0107.jpg
    Picture0109.jpg

I'm so unfocused, I want to make like 5 different comics right now. Grrrr, what to do.

Note to self, Flake and Berb are cool characterz, to me, but from now on, make characters with longer limbs. They are so much more versatile.

I still need to figure their height. I think they are watermelon size.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Painting in Photoshop is VERY hard. I really don't understand it.

CleanDouble.png

worstcase on
    edited April 2009
    worstcase wrote: »

BADASS PICTURE

It's very hard, but once you understand it, you'll be loving it. When i go back to traditional painting, i sometimes wish i had the ctrl-alt-z option.

winter_combat_knight on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    worstcase wrote: »

BADASS PICTURE

It's very hard, but once you understand it, you'll be loving it. When i go back to traditional painting, i sometimes wish i had the ctrl-alt-z option.

Let's start working on figuring out the ctrl-z option in real painting before we get into the ctrl-alt-z complexities, shall we? You're jumping ahead! D:

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.